2817 Shore Drive
Virginia Beach, VA 23451Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hottunavb.com/
- Phone: 7574812888x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Friday 11:30am-2:30pm; Dinner: Monday-Saturday 5:00pm-10:00pm, Sunday 5:00pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Todd Ramsey & Raliegh Rives
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We can cater any function. Birthdays, weddings, rehearsals, graduations and many more.
- Entertainment: Live bands- The best in live local entertainment, every Wednesday, Friday and Saturday nights. Please check our website for details.
A word from Hot Tuna
'Stop by and find out why Southern Living Magazine calls this restaurant the place to stop when in Virginia Beach. This restaurant is famous for offering the freshest yellowfin tuna available, as well as serving delicious Hereford Organic Beef, homemade pasta dishes, beer battered shrimp, and homemade desserts, such as key lime pie and carrot cake.' - Yahoo TravelContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Hot Tuna - Best Restaurants in Virginia Beach ›
Hot Tuna reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (31)good for groups (28)hot spot (22)vibrant bar scene (22)fit for foodies (19)special occasion (15)late-night find (13)kid-friendly (13)great for lunch (9)romantic (8)great for outdoor dining (5)great for brunch (4)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Superb Food, Service & ExperienceJTrenaryDined on 8/23/2014Everything was on point when we dined at Hot Tuna for dinner. Our server was extremely knowledgeable, attentive and professional. The food was out of this world. The Chesapeake Crab dip was so good that I had to constantly check myself to make sure I wasn't inhaling it. We went with specials, all of which were fantastic. Everything here was great and I would recommend to anyone that loves seafood and a good time.Special Features:
- Food and funMatrix02Dined on 8/22/2014Food was really good and reasonably priced. Also had a very good cocktail menu. Very good place to go with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best seafood in yearsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/11/2014I eat seafood 2 or 3 times a week and this by far the best restaurant seafood I have had in years. Their quality is unbeatable and the friendliness was overwhelmingly amazing. We celebrated our 2 yr anniversary and they brought us a bottle of champagne to celebrate. Also the manager of the restaurant personally came to our table to wish a happy anniversary and make sure we enjoyed our meal. The vibe throughout the entire restaurant felt family friendly. The bar is separated from the restaurant so you do not get disturbed by bar members while eating. Will be returning frequently and would recommend to every person I know. Best night out since we moved to VA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super FindLuvVaBchDined on 8/9/2014Always great and always a treat - don't miss out on this terrific restaurant and neighborhood gem - plus the place always rocks!Special Features:
- Food was EXCELLENT!!!!DollbabyDined on 8/8/2014My family and i really enjoyed ourselves. I was surprised with the casual attire in comparison to the pictures of the atmosphere that I saw, however the food was PHENOMENAL!!!! THE service was great and the prices are very reasonable. And the DJ was an added bonus!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- localguyVIPDined on 8/8/2014We enjoyed the cedar planked grouper and it was so moist and delicious. We had great service too. Looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- Awesome time!3birthdaysDined on 8/1/2014We came from Richmond to celebrate 3 bdays and see Snackbar Jones, the service was outstanding (best waitress ever) food was great, table was in a perfect spot to enjoy the band. We are coming back again for sure!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night LifeJustmarriedDined on 8/1/2014The music was so loud we couldn't hear the waitress talking or ourselves and this was before the band started to play. The menu is not very detailed. Then lighting was so dark I couldn't see the menu. It was also very hot on the bar side where the restrooms are. Again, before the band played. Great music though. Its a great place to club!!Special Features:
- Great ChoiceAhmedraDined on 7/28/2014The food was superb from appetizer to dessert. Nothing we ordered was bad - we would highly recommend the Baja Fish Tacos!!! The only thing better than the food was the service - it was outstanding! Our server was friendly and inviting. We will definitely be returning to Hot Tuna.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014The food was average, maybe a bit overpriced too. I was disappointed in my seafood special ($29) and I feel it could have had more flavor and a bit bigger serving size. We had the oysters as an appetizer and the strawberry cake for dessert (two best part of our meals!). I would go back here, but I would try something like a burger or fish tacos.
- Delicious!KayCiVIPDined on 7/25/2014The food was delicious. I had the soft crab shell special for dinner and the coconut shrimp for appetizers. You will not be disappointed with whatever you choose for your meal! The service was impeccable. Our waitress Melissa was great! I will defintley go back next time I'm in VA Beach.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/20/2014Came here a couple of years ago and loved it. Put it on our list of places to eat again while in VB; very disappointed. "Large plate" of food overpriced for what you get. Service was very good, food disappointing. Stick to the VB restaurants on Atlantic.Special Features:
- Terrific Seafood in VA BeachKCMOFoodie15VIPDined on 7/19/2014Hot Tuna lived up to every review I'd read and our waiter exceeded even those expectations. My family and I were in Virginia Beach on vacation and were looking for a great spot were locals go to enjoy great food at a fair price - that's Hot Tuna. We started with the hot pretzels and crab dip - amazing. I asked if I could just have grilled tuna with veggies - no problem whatsoever. The house made sangria described in so many reviews was also terrific. Don't miss Hot Tuna when you are in Virginia Beach, VASpecial Features:
- Very Accommodating!!Hailey63Dined on 7/18/2014This was my first time dining at Hot Tuna since the menu had changed and I was very distraught that my Bacon Wrapped Scallops were no longer on the menu! I asked my server about it and the kitchen actually made them for me even though they weren't on the menu any longer! I was ecstatic!!Special Features:
- Fun, friendly and fantastic foodJoeFishDined on 7/15/2014Great fresh seafood with other menu options. Vegetarian and Gulten Free menu options. Table and booth seating options in an upscale casual setting with a lively bar area. Some patio seating also available.Special Features:
- Wow Night OutHIC67Dined on 7/11/2014Our waiter was top notch. The food was outstanding. We were pampered through our dining experience. We felt very special.Special Features:
- Will not disappointTrisha1VIPDined on 7/11/2014Great food and drinks. Super happy hour times! Calamari is fabulous! Have not had anything that we did not thoroughly enjoy!Special Features:
- very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/9/2014loved everything. but the waitress did get one order wrong. did not blacken the fish. and the noise level in dining area is loud. very hard to talk to person next to you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!RabsDined on 7/5/2014Everything on the menu is delicious, fresh, and cooked perfectly (they nail "medium rare" both on steak and seafood). I have never been disappointed with a meal at the Hot Tuna (and I've been a patron for almost 20 years). Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New menuBeachdinerDined on 6/8/2014Unfortunately, they are changing their menu and taking off items that keep the locals returning.Special Features:
- Always on pointHailey63Dined on 6/7/2014We come for the bacon-wrapped scallops but stay for everything else. I love everything about this restaurant and love how much they can cater to my friends' and family's needs as they cannot have gluten for health reasons. The atmosphere is always perfect and the drinks are creative and delicious and pair nicely with the courses offered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great local spot away from beachJackieVIPDined on 5/31/2014Hot Tuna is obviously popular with the locals and we can see why. Very good food and great, personable staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 277 reviews are from the Hot Tuna reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/2/2014Drinks and waitress good. Food was not so good. I'd go back for drinks.Special Features:
- Just a great restaurantCharlieDined on 4/30/2014This is the best off beaten place to eat. Don't l;et the shoppin g center setting trick you. Bar, food and ambience are awesome. A great time for just any occasion.Special Features:
- Visiting Sales Team DinnerBeachBumDined on 4/29/2014My sales team from NoVA loved it - restored their faith in VA Beach dining. Swore they would return with spouses and families to experience Hot Tuna again. From the seared tuna, to cedar plank salmon to the "crazy good" cappuccino cheesecake (homemade by the owners Mom!!), the food was to die for! No water view, but who needs it with food and service this good!Special Features:
- GREAT!LuieDined on 4/26/2014Very friendly and professional staff. Great food, great ambiance and great drinks!! Outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Local Place!!!!LuvItalianDined on 4/18/2014We stopped in at the recommendation of our realtor and it was fabulous - far exceeded our expectations! Menu offered nice variety at good prices. I got the grilled fish (mahi) tacos and my husband had the calamari - both were fresh and delicious. Woman next to us got crab cake sandwich that made me wish I had gotten the same - it was huge and looked like it was loaded with lump backfin (will definitely order next time). I also got the HT glass with yummy sangria and will get happy hour prices every time I bring my glass back in (great deal)! Ambiance was really nice too. Service was outstanding and manager stopped by our table for a visit. Hot Tuna rivals some of the best restaurants we've experienced in DC and Baltimore!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great anniversary dinner @ Hot TunaJoeSDined on 4/16/2014We had a great meal and great service from Chad. We had seafood specials and fajitas. All fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food, outstanding servicedonprocrastinatiDined on 4/11/2014We were seated very quickly by the very nice and polite manager. The cedar plank rockfish I ordered was simply amazing. Packed with flavor and cooked to perfection, my taste buds were delighted in how delicious it was. Even the green beans were perfect. The mojitos here are all they said they'd be and more. My fiance was pleased with his burger too; and the shark bite mixed drink was really cool with the little plastic shark full of grenadine to pour into the drink. Overall, I would give this restaurant a standing ovation for great food, excellent service, and a great menu to choose from. Definitely a highly recommended restaurant I will suggest to my friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sangria is awesomeWinterdaughterVIPDined on 4/10/2014I went here on a recommendation for the sangria and seafood-The sangria was one of the best ever. The signature crab/green tomato appetizer was very good but the special rockfish of the day on a cedar plank was too smoky and maybe just a bit undercooked. I really like the decor and it wasnt too noisy as it was Thursday night and we left before 9 pm. The wait staff was very nice. I think I would try this place again.Special Features:
- dinner nightkutmanDined on 3/27/2014We come out to Hot Tuna frequently, as it is convenient, friendly, and has a good menu selection. We are never disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VA Beach Hot SpotErickDined on 3/15/2014Great appetizer (Fried Green Tomato/Crab Cake/Mozzarella), dinner (Cedar plank smoked Rock-fish), and Sangria! All were recommended by the manager (Laura? in think) -- Thankfully so!! Outstanding all around including our service. This was St. Pat's Weekend and the staff was well prepared. Will stop again when in VA Beach area!Special Features:
- Birthday dinner march 15 2014OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/15/2014Hot Tuna was recommended to us for the after race and birthday dinner. Waitress was good and don't know exactly where the breakdown was but after our appetizer of calamari that came out very quickly it was another 40 min. after that was cleared before we got food. No mention of a discount or coupon or anything...just that something went wrong. The coconut shrimp was very good but the side of wasabi beans were not cooked and so hard almost choked on them... Waitress could have been a bit more humble as to the wait that ensued and people who came in after us were served their meals whilst we waited.
- Delicious Food, fantastic mojitosdonprocrastinatiDined on 3/14/2014We arrived early for a reservation and hung around for our table. It was worth the wait. The mojitos were perfect. The calimari was perfectly done as well, not overdone and the right amount of crispy delicious flavor. My yellow fin tuna was absolutely delicious and cooked just right. My fiance enjoyed his avacado chicken too and we both agreed we would definitely visit again. I will make it a point to invite all my friends and family.Special Features:
- awesome!hottunaDined on 3/14/2014enjoyed the meal...food was excellent. Was a little pricey but the quality and quantity was worth the $$$. service was good...wait not long....food was amazing. cooked to perfection. would definitely go again!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/21/2014Second time visiting. First time was much better (4 stars). This time just Ok. Might be due to what we selected. Wife had some fish on a blank that was overwhelmed by the Smokie flavor. Mashed potatoes were stone cold.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We enjoyed a delicious dinnerlocalguyVIPDined on 2/15/2014We enjoyed a delicious dinner of cedar planked salmon. The sides that come with it were very good too. We look forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's DayMandLDined on 2/14/2014We booked this spot for our Valentine's Celebration and were very pleased. The server was very sweet, the food was outstanding, price point great and ambiance lovely.Special Features:
- Lovely eveningBlessedhomeDined on 2/14/2014My hubby and I went for Valentine's day and enjoyed ourselves. The service was excellent since we walked in the door. We were seated right away even though we were a little early. The server was knowledgeable and friendly. The manager came by the table to ask us how we were enjoying the evening. The food was delicious. My hubby and I decided to order the same thing because it sounded so good. It didn't disappoint. We generally order different meals and share but we had the seafood mixed grill with scallops, salmon and flounder. We truly enjoyed it. We had a tasty salad to go with it and of course we had appetizers. We had the portabella mushrooms and the blackened tuna bites. Everything was delish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and serviceAngoDined on 2/14/2014The food was okay but the best thing was the buffalo shrimp. It was amazing I want to go back just for that. Other than that the food was okay. We had the kids with us and they were very welcoming of them. The service was awesome as well. Everyone is really nice and made you feel important. This is a great place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.