Hot Tamales Cal-Mex Cantina
3055 Olin Avenue
San Jose, CA 95128Neighborhood:
Fusion / EclecticPrice: $30 and under
Hot Tamales Cal-Mex Cantina
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://hottamalescantina.com/
- Phone: 4082498000
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm Dinner: Sunday - Monday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm Tuesday - Wednesday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm (Bar open until 11:00 pm) Thursday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 11:00am (Bar open until 12:00 am) Voodoo Hour: Mon - Fri 4:00 - 7:00 pm Re-Voodoo Hour: Thu - Sat 10:00 pm - 12:00 am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Californian, Mexican
- Executive Chef: Ismael De Gante
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Party trays pick up only.
- Private Party Facilities: Our ornately decorated 240-seat dining room masterfully encapsulates the New Orleans experience. From small, private family dinners of 10 to larger company functions of 100 or more, Roux is the ideal place to host parties of any size and occasion.
- Private Party Contact: Heather Carwile 4082498000
- Entertainment: Please see our site for entertainment options. www.hottamalescantina.com
- Special Events: See www.hottamalescantina.com for details
A word from Hot Tamales Cal-Mex Cantina
Hot Tamales is Cal-Mex with flare!!! We have over 30+ signature drinks. Our food is everything from a bacon wrapped filet mignon to a gluten free 3 bean salad with vegetarian options as well.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Hot Tamales Cal-Mex Cantina reviews from OpenTable diners
- Srini's FoodravelsfoodsnobDined on 11/24/2013Below average Mexican food for the locations. There are so many awesome restaurants in the area.
- Outside dinning with a bandOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/7/2013We sat outside and enjoyed the six toco special, and listened to the saturday night band. Nice relaxing evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting menuRangerLindaDined on 8/12/2013I'd like to go back to try other things on the menu, as so many of the offerings looked really good. I had the chopped broccoli salad w/ grilled chicken with a subtle lime dressing, which was really tasty. My friend had nachos w/ chicken- also delicious.Special Features:
- Way too loud. They had a karokeeJRPJRVIPDined on 7/26/2013Way too loud. They had a karokee wedding singer, poorly bellowing out songs. There was also a mini-concert out in the park outside the resteraunt he was trying be louder than. The concert in the park actually sounded good when we could hear it. They need to manage the resteraunt better and not try to compete with the Santana Row concerts. The iced tea had gone bad and was fermented.
- I had the burrito with pork....veryOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/20/2013I had the burrito with pork....very dry and came with no sauce at all....no sour cream, no salsa??? My wife had the enchiladas... and their sauce was very good. Overall a good place to eat. Had to buy chips and salsa for $3...really?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was fairly good butEDWARDVIPDined on 3/28/2013The food was fairly good but expensive, and I have never known a restaurant to run out of ice tea. The decor of the restaurant is a bit funky, and one employee was forced to act as hostess and waitress for all tables, which was not much of a problem since only three tables were occupied for lunch. I left full and satisfied, but did not feel that the overall experience was worth the cost.Special Features:
- Hot Tamales was a fun restaurantMistyVIPDined on 3/8/2013Hot Tamales was a fun restaurant - the live band was great and the atmosphere was fun. A couple customers were dancing to the tunes. The nachos and chili verde were very good, although the shrimp enchiladas weren't good. There are plenty of excellent taquerias around that have better food at much cheaper prices. The service was fine, although the appetizer and entrees were brought out right after each other, which meant we had to rush through our appetizer before the entrees got cold. I would recommend this place for groups looking to go out and have a fun evening.Special Features:
- New kid on the blockPompyVIPDined on 1/28/2013Although the ceviche lacked much seafood it was tasty with mango etc in it. We ordered couple of drinks - cadillac margarita and a gin with grapefruit juice. The margarita was $14 and the gin $12. I felt they were terribly overpriced! And on a Monday night the restaurant was completely empty. This is the 2nd attempt of owners of Roux, Thea, Consuelo but I don't know how it will fare this time around.Special Features:
- good food just bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 1/21/2013We arrived early was greated quickly by the owner I think and was seated promptly. However the restraunt only had 2 other tables with people seated. One would think since it was that slow they would have excellent service. Unfortunately the waiter kept getting lost only showing up to take our order and to bring the items out other than that he was lost. The waiter messed up on my order having onions in the food even thought I asked for none and I had to wait for him to show back up to remind him. Our waiter did not even inquire how we enjoyed the food. Other than that it was a good place nice environment decent food just not great service. I hope next time the service is better as you cannot completely make a judgement on first visit.
- overpriced for what it iswhofanDined on 12/29/2012OK food but overpriced for what it is. $12 for a shot of Hornito's? That is 1/3 more than it should cost and the food is similarly over priced.
- The food was great. It easOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 12/15/2012The food was great. It eas a bit pricey for the lively atsmosphere. To here on weekend nights if you want a lively experience with music. Seems you you won't have a problem finding a seat as it wasn't as full as some of the othe Santana Row spots. They had live music when we got there and I believe the DJ comes at 9:00. Would be interested to see how crowded it gets as a club.Special Features:
- It was very cold but the doorLisaDined on 12/15/2012It was very cold but the door to the patio was left open and the waitress said that it is to stay opened, we were disappointed that the door was left opened. It was very cold that day.
- The Big Chill at Hot TamalesOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/12/2012They keep the doors open at night in December so where a sweater or coat as it can be chilly in the restaurant.Special Features:
- The food and drinks were goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2012The food and drinks were good but not so far beyond a much cheaper Aquis visit to warrant the sparseness of the presentation. No cheese or guac for fajitas w/o extra cost or substitutions allowed. No chips/salsa w/o extra cost. Waiter never refilled our water glasses and didn't have much description for his view on the menu (maybe someone new?). Band was good and other staff we talked to were nice. There weren't really any takes on specialty Mexican food that would warrant a specific return to this location.Special Features:
- The menu is quite expensive,MaryAWVIPDined on 10/2/2012The menu is quite expensive, especially for lunch but the food was good and our waiter was attentive and professional.Special Features:
- The foot was good, serviceBOBNJILLDined on 8/29/2012The foot was good, service was attentive and prompt. This place used to be a New Orleans style restaurant and their decor seems a combination of The Big Easy and Mexico City; eclectic in a fun way. We sat outside which was nice but can be a bit noisy given you're facing the common area of this square in Santana Row. I would go back. It was a good evening.Special Features:
- Very good food. Too badOutandaboutVIPDined on 8/14/2012Very good food. Too bad the restaurant was empty. The service was friendly and the menu imaginative.....don't know why it's not busy.
- Weird Mexican food. TryingDavidlovesfood2VIPDined on 8/8/2012Weird Mexican food. Trying to be gourmet for Santana Row clientele. But they miss. What Mexican restaurant charges for chips and salsa? Everything on the menu is basically ala carte.
- We only had chips and salsaSJmomof3Dined on 7/18/2012We only had chips and salsa and drinks. Once the band started we could not hear each other talking so we took off. The server was excellent and the drinks were great.Special Features:
- I loved the menu - good varietyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/13/2012I loved the menu - good variety and the presentation and taste were both excellent. We are also pleased with the friendly staff and service. The only drawback was the noise level. While the band was very good, it was way too loud. We had to move into the back room to be able to carry on a conversation.Special Features:
- So it was a thursday nightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2012So it was a thursday night at santana row and the area was packed, but Hot Tamales was not. It was not bad, but I wasnt jumping up and down either. I had steak tacos and they were good sized with a reasonable amount of spice. The margarita was good too. It was nice to be able to sit on the patio, but my one complaint was that there was a band and it was so loud we could barely have a conversation.
- Good location in Santana Row,OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/10/2012Good location in Santana Row, just off the 'green'. Much better than it's predecessor...Roux Louisiana.Special Features:
- The recommendations of theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/8/2012The recommendations of the server were spot on. I really enjoyed my meal. I was able to sit outside, and thanks to the overhead cover, this is a great experience in what can sometimes be the hot sun of San Jose. Give the speciality drinks a shot. I really liked how they remodelled the space without losing some of the key elements that made the previous restaurant fun. Will be back on my next visit, as I felt in many ways, they were better than some of the other mexican offerings on the Row.Special Features:
- Food was not that great.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/21/2012Food was not that great. Tamales were dried. enchiladas was salty. Our server was nit that great. She took orders with writing ig diwn and when she couldnt remember the orders she then got something to write down.Special Features:
- Went with a group of 3 onOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/11/2012Went with a group of 3 on a Monday night. We were the only customers in the restaurant, therefore it was VERY QUIET. Waiter came back numerous time. Food was fast and tasty. Two of us ordered the crab tacos, 3 street tacos that were cool and great for a hot night. One ordered the enchiladas and it was very spicy. We probably will go back.
- Go there for dessert only!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/20/2012I would have given it a higher star rating except my drink was really strong. My server was nice(when she was around) and had the bartender Sprite-down my drink. It just seemed like we always had to find her when we needed her and the place was not busy at all. The servers look good but for the price of the food, they should be good servers. Lastly, the food is way overpriced. We had to pay $4 for chips and salsa and my spritzer was $11. I had the tamale special which was bland and not worth $12. Dessert was decadent and worth the $7. I think I will just go there for dessert going forward.Special Features:
- Hot TamalesOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/11/2012Our waiter was great but the food was just alright. Live music nice. I may or may not go back. Probably not.
- Nice NOLA spot in SJmwbusinesstravelerVIPDined on 12/3/2011Our food was pretty good. My partner ordered the Fried Chicken and he said it was excellent...simple meal and well-prepared. I had a tuna dish, and it was OK...didn't have a lot of flavor; pretty presentation but not a great "catch." The cocktail list offers many interesting selections.Special Features:
- Not really "Louisiana"...ChrisVIPDined on 8/6/2011Booked this seat one night when everything else in Santana Row was 1 hour + for a table. I now know why we were able to easily get a seat here. It's a "Louisiana Kitchen" with almost no cajun food. No Etouffe. No red beans & rice entree? Come on guys. The restaurant does have a fun, kitschy interior though and the staff was very friendly. Not sure the food is good enough to warrant a return trip, especially at the prices they're charging. I gave the jambalaya rice a try and found it to be very bland and lacking the spicy Cajun kick.Special Features:
- Make sure they give you your pointsLataiDined on 5/23/2011I really enjoyed my lunch here...great mac & cheese and fried chicken. I will return! The only problem I have with this restaurant is I booked a 1,000 point reservation and we were the only people in the restaurant...but I was only granted 100 points. When I tried to get the 900 points owed, I was denied. Boooooooooo!!!!! That's the only reason I tried this place. But, I did like it and I will return =)Special Features:
- Probably won't come back toOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/30/2010Probably won't come back to the restaurant as it was an unpleasant experience. Waitress would take too long to bring out our orders, water, check etc... Additionally its a place you don't want to go to if you want a meaningful conversion with the person in front of you as it was rather loud. Also it was expensive for the food we got. Only plus side of the restaurant was the purple haze beer. I might return to check out the bar but definitely not for a meal.Special Features:
- Pretty placePVShoresDined on 12/12/2010Brunch offerings seemed limited. Pretty place. Hard to find, if you don't know this shopping area. Mostly paid parking only. Pleasant staff.
- I love this place althoughTootsVIPDined on 11/6/2010I love this place although service is spotty, but friendly! Both times I ate there, they got my order wrong. The wait staff is extremely friendly and likeable, but they could pay more attention to detail, and come back often to check on their customers. I shouldn't have to ask for a refill of my drink. Overall, the food overshadows the service.Special Features:
- Not the best Cajun or NewOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/17/2010Not the best Cajun or New Orleans food there is out there but I think it's definitely something different from the usual dining experience in Santana Row. Both the atmosphere and decor are loud so be prepared and it could be a fun time.Special Features:
- Great food in a fun atmosphere.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/10/2009Great food in a fun atmosphere. My friend is from England and a very picky eater….I think she has added a new restaurant to her top ten in San Jose.
- Excellent Cajun/Creole foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/11/2009Excellent Cajun/Creole food with vibrant and festive decor. Quite a gem.Special Features:
- We booked Roux Louisiana forOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/8/2009We booked Roux Louisiana for a romantic special dinner. A mistake, it didn't deliver either. Once we had come to terms with our mistake however, we realised that Roux Louisiana was a Cajun cafe, delivering reasonably priced food to a young audience. The wine list was disappointing, but since beer is probably the best beverage for the cuisine, who cares? We would definitely go back, particularly in a larger group than two.Special Features:
- kinda dark but the colorfulOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/20/2009kinda dark but the colorful mardi gras decor offsets the mood. the bartenders were awesome! they let me plug my phone into the outlet behind the bar :) still love the foodSpecial Features:
- Just OK, should be outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/3/2009Just OK, should be outstanding since there are not many Cajun places around town.
- I didn't see points for diningOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/27/2009I didn't see points for dining and we did have dinner.Special Features: