231 So. Pacific Coast Hwy
Redondo Beach, CA 90277Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hostariapiave.com/
- Phone: 3103741000x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
Sunday 5.00pm - 9.00pm (Sunday Supper pre-fix Menu)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Angelo D. Calderan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We are happy to offer catering, from small, intimate gatherings to full scale events.
- Private Party Facilities: Hostaria Piave is available for private events & buy-outs
- Private Party Contact: Angelo D. Calderan 3103741000x
A word from Hostaria Piave
Hostaria Piave's mission is to present the everyday dishes that you would find at the family table of the people living in the small islands in the Venetian lagoon and the near countryside. Experience a unique and captivating menu, simple recipes radicated in the Venetian popular tradition that show the passion and the genuine hospitality of your "hoste".Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Hostaria Piave - Best Restaurants in Redondo Beach ›
Hostaria Piave reviews from OpenTable diners
71 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (58)neighborhood gem (58)notable wine list (55)great for lunch (42)special occasion (23)great for outdoor dining (20)good for groups (13)romantic (11)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Redondo Beach GemElizabethDined on 10/15/2014In 2.5 years my dining experience at Hostaria has never disappointed me. Last nights dining was no exception. You have never tasted a roasted chicken like this before - one word to describe this entree is insane. Another delightful meal was the gnocchi with braised duck - with every bite I was transformed with memories of my grandmother's kitchen. Angelo's wine selection can also be perfectly paired with each antipasti to secondi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian Great RestaurantVivSVIPDined on 10/13/2014Hosteria Piave has excellent food. It is one of those inconspicuous restaurants I drove by for so long and never knew it was there. It may be the restaurant sign doesn't stand out. It is sure worth a try if you have not tried it yet. Food is a little pricey, but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid placeEyeDesignDined on 10/11/2014This is my fourth time at the restaurant and each time has been extremely enjoyable. The food is great and extremely dependable. For the last two visits our waitress Erin was a consamat professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceVadimDined on 10/5/2014The food was great. The prices are not cheap, but in whole correspond to quality. Great ambience. The restaurant owner comes out to check on customers. The stuff is friendly and service is good. The coffee machine was broken that night and this was the only disappointment. It is not your everyday dinner if you count money at all, but excellent for the occasion.Special Features:
- Redondo Beach Italian RestaurantVivSVIPDined on 9/22/2014I was amazed this restaurant has been around for 2 1/2 years. It is on a Very busy street. I think its sign on the building doesn't 't stand out to be notable. The restaurant was nice and the food was really nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More adventures at Hostaria PiaveSpyderDined on 9/18/2014My wife and I have been dining at Hostaria Piave for the last several years. It is the restaurant where we celebrate special occasions, the end of the week, and visits by friends. One reason is that Angelo continues to make the menu a tour of the cooking of the Veneto, not to mention the wines of Italy. We seldom order the same dish one visit to the next because part of enjoying Hostaria Piave is being introduced to new dishes that reflect long traditions of cooking that bring out the best in vegetables, fruits, grains, fish, poultry, etc. If you enjoy culinary adventures, we would certainly recommend a visit to Hostaria Piave...well, perhaps several.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice first visitMikeNVIPDined on 9/5/2014We kept it simple. Had the carpaccio which had a great (and unexpected) smoky flavor. Turns out, it *is* smoked. They topped it with just shaved romono. We also had the Vitello Tonnato which was an even bigger surprise: someone said the lamb was "seared" but it was paper thin like the carpaccio and essentially raw. Both were very tasty. Also had the mista salad and gnocchi for "desert". Delicious. We enjoyed everything. Service was very friendly and efficient. We were never rushed but not kept waiting, either. Will definitely go back. A nice find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A few flaws, otherwise excellentfortchDined on 8/30/2014Let me start of saying the service was excellent - I'm embarrassed to admit I forgot our server's name, but she was fabulous. Service was awesome, and unfortunately it wasn't full, to see if they could scale to meet that demand. Food: very good, the salads (romaine and beet) were both seasoned properly and tasty. The tortellini was a little salty, but that didn't stop me from dunking bread in the gravy. Mmmm. The entrees were good, although my lamb bone-in loin was a sub par cut. The desserts were perfect, and even the drunken raisins were a nice touch at the end. The place is right off of the road, so the patio, as nice as it is, is a bit too noisy. Maybe when the shrubs grow taller it'll chill. Overall, a great neighborhood find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why weren't more people here?OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/24/2014Ate here on a Sunday night, and the restaurant was only ~1/3 full. I don't know why because the food was excellent. Creative but authentic. They don't have a full liquor license, so you can't get a cocktail. Very nice service and decor. I would definitely eat here again and recommend to others. Prices were quite reasonable too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great Night of DiningDJG1Dined on 8/16/2014We took friends to dinner on Saturday night. Their first time, our umpteenth time. We all enjoyed our food in a leisurely manner. Had time to visit and catch up and enjoyed the environment. I highly recommend the pannacota for desert. We will be back.Special Features:
- Lovely Italian Cuisineharlemo25Dined on 8/9/2014The service and food are outstanding and the wine list extensive with many price points to suit every budget. The dishes we especially enjoyed were the prociutto and melon, fresh homemade pasta with vegetables, scallops and shrimp, and lamb chop, as well as interesting wine selections. My only recommendation is to make the serving sizes larger.Special Features:
- The food was good BUTCarolinesCatsDined on 8/8/2014Not to my liking The service was incredibly slow And the orders were confused.We sat outside which was very pleasant.
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/25/2014This is a small place on the PCH I must've driven by 100 times. So glad we found it. Lamb chops were amazing as well as the homemade pasta. Everything we had was fresh and good. The patio seating was beautiful and the owner and staff went out of their way to make certain we had everything we needed. A great find in the South Bay!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great outdoor space, food just okJMC78Dined on 7/21/2014Outdoor space open and inviting. We had 6 people and even though restaurant almost empty service was slow. Salads were very good but main dishes were underwhelming. I had the pasta with veal and it was fairly tasteless. The owner was the waiter and bartender. He was nice but that alone wouldn't cause us to return.Special Features:
- Fantastic - Yummy - WonderfulHighExpectationsDined on 7/19/2014Nicely appointed and is owned by a lovely couple that KNOWS how to take care of customers. Wine options were plentiful, settling on a light fruity red sold Mezzo Litro. Excellent!!! Asking for recommendations, we started with Carpaccio Affumicato, unique and very flavorful, then Spaghettini com Seppie e Cozze, perfectly cooked pasta with mussels and really yummy. For entrees, Nodino do Vitello (bone in veal) and Angnolotti di Carne (tortellini). Fantastic!!! To finish we had Torta di Mandorle (almond cake) and Semifreddo al Cioccolato (chocolate hazelnut parfait) with two perfectly chosen desert wines. A wonderful evening!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice last minute findStrandAnniversaryDined on 7/9/2014This is a restaurant for dining, when you aren't in a hurry. The food was good, but lacked a little substance. We had a melon and proscuitto starter that could have used some greens and a balsamic sauce that would've made it incredible. The Filet was amazing but the potato's on the side were bland. The bone in Veal plate was the favorite till the desserts. It was seasoned well and the scallop style potatos were better than the Filet's potatos. The Pana Cotta was great. It had a dark berry sauce drizzled on the plate and the gillato was very good as well. The family that runs the restaurant is very nice and want everyone to feel welcome. We'll be back and look forward to trying new items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BergDined on 7/2/2014For a first time visit the food was good though we did not select a broad enough variety to know their full capability. We'll go back again to confirm. Great place for a special occasions. Very friendly staff and owner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 88 reviews are from the Hostaria Piave reviews archive.
- ordinarywalterDined on 6/29/2014limited menu and poor to fair excaution shrimp were ld and mushy, paste was raw. Chicken was chrisp and moist Service was best part of meal,Special Features:
- OKhonestreviewDined on 6/24/2014Food need more presentation a charcuterie plate came with a few sprigs of parsley when labeled as meat and vegetables. A few pieces of carrot or celery would have been nice. Also a little more seasoning would have helped.Special Features:
- Good place for girlfriend lunchmini4deeDined on 6/14/2014Our ladies group of 5 had a wonderful birthday luncheon. We were given a large table where we could easily share the Venetian spaghetti with shrimp, the ravioli with fava beans, gnocchi with scallops, roasted chicken salad, and tuna salad. Every dish was perfectly seasoned and prepared and we ate it family style with each dish shared by all. Good wine list, very relaxing atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lamb Ragu!DeeDeeLynnDined on 6/7/2014The menu is fun to navigate, and the wine list is Spectacular. The staff is friendly and helpful. The space feels open and uncrowded. Really like dining on the patio, although it is a little close to busy PCH. Love, love, love the lamb Ragu!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Because they care about whatsOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/29/2014Because they care about whats on your plate, the family that owns it is always around, which I dig. Everything seems fresh, and good. not a huge menu, which means what they make they can execute with care. Do itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent homemade pasta andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/19/2014Excellent homemade pasta and creative authentic northern Italian cuisine. Angelo takes great pride in his little gem. Good wine list and his specials are well thought out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For out of the ordinary ItalianBertieDined on 3/9/2014Hostaria Piave has a Northern Italian menu so you may be surprised at the preparations or ingredients featured on the menu. I've enjoyed everything I've had there so I hope others will give it a try. Their wine list is especially noteworthy. Wine connoisseurs will enjoy the wide variety of Italian wines and get to try some that are rarely available in restaurants. Their wines by the carafe present excellent choices and an opportunity to try different wines even for a small group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Venetian FarebitsqueDined on 3/7/2014From the superb Italian wine list to the succulent pastas with feesh seafood, I always feel like I've been transported to Venice each time I dine here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Little Neighborhood place...DeejayofSouthBayDined on 2/22/2014Authentic Italian cuisine. Handmade pasta - always a plus for me. I have to come back to try the gnocchi. The service was just so-so for me, but it didn't take away from my overall dining experience. Its always nice finding small neighborhood restaurants that really take pride in their food. I would definitely recommend to friends, and will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a party of six celebratingredondofanDined on 2/15/2014We had a party of six celebrating a birthday. The food was simply fantastic. This is real Italian food in the Venice style. We all had a variety of dishes and everyone raved about their food. My 10 year old granddaughter requested spaghetti with butter and parmesan, and the chef made it with the same care as the more complex items.Special Features:
- Valentine's DayKingsfan222Dined on 2/14/2014We went here for Valentine's Day. It was organized very well for the special occasion and we were offered a prix fixe menu that while it was good, we found it to be a bit pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We live in the area and haveFoodiesun999Dined on 2/14/2014We live in the area and have passed by this restaurant numerous times. We finally tried it out last week and are not planning to return again. The tables are close to each other and too wide. We can't talk with the person sitting across from us without screaming. The food was not all that memorable and the service was poor. Had to ask three times before bread was served.
- Were there on a quiet TuesdayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/4/2014Were there on a quiet Tuesday night. Very attentive service both from waitress and from owner, when we had questions about the quite extensive wine list. The food was exquisite. Italian, but not the stereotype Italian. Recommendations on dishes from the waitress spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic and deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/2/2014Hostaria Piave may have the finest Italian cuisine I've ever enjoyed. The recipes have carefully blended flavors and ingredients. Every green salad is cut just before serving so the lettuces are crisp and delicious. Hand made pasta, delicate fish dishes and wonderful desserts. I may go there once (or twice!) a week! The restaurant is tucked in a busy stretch of the PCH, just off Torrance Blvd. and has a parking lot. Don't miss this neighborhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 2/1/2014My boyfriend and I had an enjoyable dinner one Saturday night at Hostaria Piave. The food was pretty good. There is one thing I think they could work on -- our server was friendly but not well informed. Every time we asked if she had tried any of the dishes, she said she did not. We wanted her opinion and feel it's necessary for the server to be able to give his/her opinion about the food. We saw someone in the restaurant who looked like the owner. He came to our table to see how we were doing (thought that was nice) and he suggested an after dinner drink to my boyfriend which ended up being very good. The restaurant was busy that night and it was nice to see the owner interested in his business. We will probably go back again.Special Features:
- really wanted to like itOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 1/31/2014This place was recommended to me by a friend who shares similar tastes. Not sure if it was an off night, but the pasta has definitely seen better days. The sauce/accompaniments were fine though lacking a bit in flavor, but the pasta was al dente to the extreme. I felt like I was chewing for thirty minutes straight. The space is great so I'm really hoping this was just a one-off bad experience.
- Special birthday dinnerSusanSDined on 1/22/2014I enjoyed a wonderful evening this week at Hostaria Piave with my husband and our best friends to celebrate my birthday. We all commented throughout our meals on the quality of the courses, as each arrived we "ooh"ed and "ahhh"ed over how beautiful the presentations were and how delicious every smidgin was. Nothing was left to scrape off a single plate! We enjoyed a very special bottle of wine to celebrate, and all combined to make for a memorable celebration. Of course, we knew this would happen because I celebrated my birthday last year here, too! Can't say enough wonderful things about Hostaria Piave. Don't miss it!Special Features:
- Great spot!PCHoundDined on 1/18/2014Love this restaurant! Wonderful northern Italian food complemented by a wonderful wine list. Service is excellent and rotating specials. Had lamb drank which literally melted off the bone. The radicchio and pancetta appetizer was delightful. Great combination of flavors. Rabbit pate was creamy and rich without being heavy. A definite win!Special Features:
- delicious pastambieniekDined on 12/29/2013We both like italien cusine. One of my best pasta ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another fabulous Italian mealnewtuxedoVIPDined on 12/28/2013This place is a gem - great food, efficient service, amazing wine list, friendly people. This is NOT your "spaghetti and meatballs" Italian food. Creative, flavorful, wonderfully prepared. Lots of meat and fish dishes. They gladly prepared gluten-free pasta for one person in our party. They also have vegan options. A real change-of-pace. Our fourth time there - won't be our last.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A True Gem of A Find In South BayArnoldVIPDined on 12/27/2013This is a real find in South Bay featuring unique Venetian cuisine...visiting the restaurant for the first time was a walk down memory lane. Owner Angelo Calderan was the former owner of Ca Del Sole right next to Universal Studios where I worked for several years in the 90s. He and I recognized each other instantly from my many lunches in the dining room and cigars on the patio. His lovely and gracious wife now manages the front of the house and is extremely knowledgably about Italian cuisine. ...the entrees ere perfectly prepared and served in a non-fussy and non-pretentious environment...in the South Bay which is full of pretenders and wannabe restaurants, this is a welcome celebration of food, wine and life! Not to be missed!Special Features:
- Patio area is nice, especiallyRaptordashVIPDined on 12/26/2013Patio area is nice, especially because you can bring your dog, as we did. The food preparartion varied form OK to very good. The chef had a heavy hand with black pepper as it was overwhelming in a few of the dishes. Pasta portion was very small. Would go again, but would ask for less pepper be used in preparation.Special Features:
- Hostaria with the MostariaKillCollDined on 12/23/2013Hostaria Piave is the best place to dine in our neighborhood. And... Since we live 7 miles away... we have an enormous neighborhood. Angelo knows his wine like no body we've met. you must let him have a shot selecting the best wine for the meal you've chosen. He has never missed the mark. This time i had the tripe. Outstanding! Can wait for our next trip back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.