Hostaria del Piccolo
Santa Monica, CA 90401Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Hostaria del Piccolo
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hostariadelpiccolo.com/
- Phone: 3103936633x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm;
Saturday- Sunday 10:00am- 3:00pm
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm -11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Samuele Minin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Hostaria del Piccolo
We propose a different approach to Italian food, by creating dishes moderate in portion size, which we feel enhances the dining experience, by allowing you more variety in taste, while eating healthier.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Hostaria del Piccolo - Best Restaurants in Santa Monica ›
Hostaria del Piccolo reviews from OpenTable diners
92 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (57)neighborhood gem (56)great for outdoor dining (39)good for groups (27)great for lunch (26)hot spot (26)vibrant bar scene (18)special occasion (16)notable wine list (14)romantic (13)great for brunch (13)kid-friendly (9)late-night find (7)Show More
- Good food, good serviceVfr292Dined on 9/20/2014I was there for lunch and would go back. Only problem was finding parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My first timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014Hostaria del Piccolo was good, though it wasn't as good as if I hadn't been to Italy recently. The Carbonara was not as creamy and rich as in Italy, so I wished I was back there. It was a bit al dente as I like it, and it was the sauce that was just not what I had in Lucca. The atmosphere was good and at 6:30, not crowded or noisy. As the evening progressed it filled up. The waitress was always aware and showed up as I wanted something. She was superb.
- Unique small platesCharmelDined on 9/9/2014For midday mid Santa Monica a fine find Ask for less salt as their beef is best without it Would love more vegetable choices as they do them wellSpecial Features:
- Fantastic pasta and pizzaJillianDined on 8/31/2014Delicious food! The pastas and pizza were excellent, but although the grilled octopus was nice and tender, it was a bit too salty for my taste and the seasonal vegetables were a bit too mushy. The other starters were nice and fresh and very tasty, and the desserts and capuccinos were wonderful. Service was incredible.Special Features:
- Solid choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/30/2014This is what a neighborhood italian place should be. Actual italian food, reasonable prices, comfortable environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommendLuvGoodFoodDined on 8/23/2014Great food, great service! I come here often and have never been disappointed. I highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hosteria Del PiccoloHighlanderDined on 8/20/2014A busy place but not too crowded for a weekday. The waitress was able to spend time with us, which was good because we were unfamiliar with the menu. Lots of interesting things to try, as a group of 6 we were able to share. The food was good but not enough to hurry back. The cured meats and cheese plate was standard fare, nothing special; the Pescetti could have been crispier; the Frico needed something more; the Papardelle was a little bland. The desserts were good, especially the Tortino. There was a good variety of wine, and reasonable. A good place for a group meal because you can get on with your conversation without having to worry where your server has disappeared. A bit on the expensive side for the quality of the cooking.Special Features:
- DELICIOUS VENETIAN TAPASPucciaceilsoleDined on 8/18/2014Try more than one appetizer ... MOSCARDINI and POLENTA is my favorite in this nice place!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lucky FindPastriesEstVieDined on 8/8/2014I chose this spot randomly, my friends were up for Italian, and so I made reservations. Boy was it worth it. The food is absolutely amazing, the service was great, and we all loved it. Very healthy food, with vegan, gluten free versions of a lot of stuff was available. No matter though, because everything tasted amazing. I personally had the Gnocchi, and although visually I feel that its a bit too, doughy, but these guys have it down to the last morsel. Their ricotta cake on the other hand.... Is more than enough to die for. If it was up to me, I would have ordered five of them, and refused to share. The blueberry sauce was a bit off, but the cake itself was better than anything I have ever tasted if the sort.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/8/2014Upon arrival the hostess immediately greeted then seated us, when she could see that we didn't like the table, she immediately apologized and said we could sit there until another became available or wait in the bar for a table on the patio. So nice, so simple, no "oh I'm sorry those are already reserved, blah, blah, blah...". She quoted 15 to 20 and like a stopwatch, within 15 minutes she found us in the bar and took us to a great table! The waiter was nice, the food was delicious and not ridiculously expensive! We liked it and will be back!Special Features:
- Good ambiance but food taste variedmjwang717VIPDined on 8/8/2014Overall, our experience was pleasant. The restaurant had a nice lively atmosphere. However, the food, while well prepared and beautifully presented, had inconsistent seasoning. Between four diners, each ordering an appetizer and an entree, we found the majority of the dishes were either over or under seasoned (most notably the neri pasta being under seasoned and the grilled octopus appetizer being over salted). In addition, there was a short instance when we were waiting to order that our waitress seemed to linger at another particular table. Other than that instance, the wait staff was friendly and accommodating. While all in all the experience was a fair one, there were a couple things to be desired.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!lafoodieDined on 8/7/2014Food is always wonderful. Fun place to go with a group...small plates for sharing. Wide range of pizza choices white and red. Comfortable and casual! Will definitely come back.Special Features:
- Much ado about not muchAndrewVIPDined on 8/3/2014I was looking forward to trying this lower priced version of Piccolo but was disappointed. The pasta was overly salty and overcooked by at least a minute. I have since been told to stick to pizza. The wine by the glass list is limited and mediocre
- Thank you!THANKYOUDined on 8/1/2014I love the food here! My group had a ton of dietary restrictions and Hostaria accommodated everyone! Delish!Special Features:
- OscarOscarDined on 8/1/2014This is our go to Italian Restaurant in Santa Monica. Food is all farm to table and fresh. Menu is simple, and very friendly people.Special Features:
- Amazing fresh pastahurley999jbDined on 7/31/2014I have been here twice, highly recommend ANY of the pastas and the squid ink/ahi pizza.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinner restaurantACsweDined on 7/27/2014We had fantastic pizzas, very taste, ingredients felt fresh and even for a pizza, very healthy. They had some good Italian beers that are not so easy to find. Great place!Special Features:
- Always a pleasure.PeteDined on 7/23/2014I've probably been there 10 times. Mostly for lunch, but a few dinners mixed in. It is always reliable and delightful. Your visit starts with a staff that genuinely seems happy to see patrons walk in the door and they treat you that way the whole meal. Nice people with a good knowledge of the menu and wines. I have had the pastas, pizzas and a number of the appetizer. Always great tastes. A menu that is intriguing but not so funky that a picky eater can't find something they'll love. The portions are perfect. They aren't huge and heavy. Not so small that I walk away feeling like I didn't get enough. Never disappoints. Enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- *****ALL 5 STARS*****OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/21/2014Authentic. Fantastic. Excellence. From the staff to the ambiance to the food. Perfection.Special Features:
- Good for the priceunevenDined on 7/20/2014Good food at reasonable prices. The gnocchi and the octopus appetizer were both especially nice. Friendly, pleasant staff and a fast kitchen.Special Features:
- TOO LOUD!!!!HTINCADined on 7/18/2014Amazing food and service -but WAY TOO LOUD!!! Next time, we will go before the crowd arrives so that we can actually hear one another and have a conversation. The food and service are so good that it makes up for the unreasonably loud sound levels.
- Lovely spotnylaDined on 7/15/2014If you're looking for a lively restaurant with delicious food, look no further. The greeting was hospitable, but waiter could have been more attentive. We had to catch his eye to ask for wine and coffee. He never asked if we wanted anything to drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- itslapDined on 7/14/2014Selected DineLA menu. Food was good. Desserts just ok. Service great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic ItalianrosesRredVIPDined on 7/14/2014Always fresh, easy to eat Paleo style this neighborhood gem has not disappointed after 6 or 7 meals here. The Ricottina and Grilled Wild King Salmon with Summer Veggies were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service great food!!!!!tlalaVIPDined on 7/11/2014When we walked in they were running a bit late. They immediately offered us a prosecco. They were attentive, friendly... and the food was delicious! We will come back. Thank you!
- brunch for threeSandyjkVIPDined on 6/29/2014Limited but very delicious choices for brunch. Portions are more than adequate and are made with fresh ingredients. It was quiet at 11am on Sunday which is very nice as it can get quite noisy at other times.Special Features:
- Perfetto!IloveitaliaDined on 6/29/2014Beautiful restaurant, Sunday you can order off main menu or delicious brunch menu. Pretty rear patio to relax and enjoy the sun. Ordered yummy porchetta with polenta, sunny side up egg. Fresh fruit was sweet, perfectly ripe, juicy. Friendly italian staff, beautiful plates, glassware, and presentation. Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot spotlafoodieDined on 6/11/2014Always fun, great food, never a disappointment. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- I love this place, but……...OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 6/11/2014The food is fabulous, the grilled octopus was amazing, the pastas a joy. The problem for me, as always at Piccolo is the noise factor. They try to get you to a "quiet" table, but guess what?? They don't have one!! I usually sit on the patio but a private party had taken it over. I get it, but then they seat you next to a table of 12!! As soon as the liquor kicks in, it becomes a nightmare. Shoot me now as all I want to do is have a pleasant conversation with my friend and that is just impossible. I may just start doing an early bird special and be out of the place by 6:30. I love this place but…..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a winnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/5/2014We've been going here since they opened- and have never been disappointed! The grilled octopus, verde salad, steaks and pasta are consistently fabulous. They go out of their way to make you feel welcome and comfortable. Ask for Layla on the patio for a warm and friendly face and a quieter dinner experience. Inside can be unbearably loud.Special Features:
- The following 573 reviews are from the Hostaria del Piccolo reviews archive.
- deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/16/2014Didn't expect a lot when I made the reservation but was happily surprised by the great food and signature drinks. It was the perfect place to start my date and send things in the right direction.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the Pizza!SteliosDined on 5/11/2014We had another great night at Hostaria del Piccolo. The pizzas were at top form--we had the Trento, the Asparagus and the Habemus Boletus (fried mushrooms), outstanding dough perfectly cooked. If you like crispy, you can't go wrong with the fried pigs' ears appetizer (doesn't look like pig's ears, more like a crispy mesh), and don't forget to order the brussel sprouts. The only place where I might take off half a star is dessert, where the chocolate cake is too dry. Try something else.Special Features:
- Love it!geepersVIPDined on 5/11/2014I would go for the gluten-free cream-puffs alone, but it so happens that everything else is top-notch as well! Love the salads, pastas, and pizzas. Staff are always charming. Delightful!Special Features:
- Mother's DayTFademDined on 5/11/2014This is a regular spot for us but a first time for brunch. Must say it didn't disappoint. Food was great and so was the cocktail menu. Will certainly be back againSpecial Features:
- VibrantHappyVIPDined on 5/10/2014The service was great, waiters very helpful and friendly, loved the pizza big selection of gluten free foodsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Veal chopJcmeterVIPDined on 5/7/2014Meal was good except for breaded veal chop. It was over breaded and over cooked, dry and tasteless.
- Serious Light FareJacarandaBlueDined on 5/3/2014Clearly a place that cares about quality, sourcing, service, and has a commitment to interesting and healthy dining. A find!Special Features:
- AussieeaterDined on 4/27/2014I want to like this place. It has a great vibe and ambiance. However the food quality has gone downhill. The pizza crust was under cooked and rather tasteless, the grilled brussel sprouts really boring, the Halibut overcooked and dry. The tagliatelle with bolognese sauces was excellent. But one out of four doesn't cut it.Special Features:
- Amazing!!!BobSVIPDined on 4/17/2014This was our second time dining at Hostaria del Piccolo while visiting our son in Santa Monica. Our dinner was amazing, especially their specialty pizzas. Their wine recommendation was perfect! We will definitely be returning on our next visit to CA.Special Features:
- Consistently great!FoodieDined on 4/11/2014I have been to Osteria del Piccolo many times...with only my husband as well as larger groups. Each experience has been wonderful. The food has been consistently delicious and the service impeccable. Each time we go my husband and I say to each other, "I love this restauarant!" My favorite things on the menu are the spaghetti with lentils and the grilled calamari appetizer. My husband loves the truffle pasta. The wine list is exceptional and the wait-staff is knowledgeable in directing you which to try. I can honestly say, Hosteria del Piccolo is one of the best restaurants in L.A.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.