Hostaria del Piccolo
Santa Monica, CA 90401Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Hostaria del Piccolo
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hostariadelpiccolo.com/
- Phone: (310) 393-6633
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm
Saturday- Sunday 11:00am- 2:30pm
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm -11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Comfort Food, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Samuele Minin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Hostaria del Piccolo
We propose a different approach to Italian food, by creating dishes moderate in portion size, which we feel enhances the dining experience, by allowing you more variety in taste, while eating healthier.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Hostaria del Piccolo reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (57)neighborhood gem (50)great for outdoor dining (31)good for groups (28)great for lunch (22)hot spot (21)romantic (14)notable wine list (14)vibrant bar scene (13)special occasion (13)kid-friendly (12)great for brunch (8)late-night find (3)Show More
- Loud noise ruins dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014The food is really fantastic here, and the service is outstanding. But it was so noisy that I had to shout for my companion to hear me. By the end of dinner, my throat was sore. I'd like to go back, but they need to do something about the acoustics.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big thumbs up for Italian style meals and tapas.ozmatooDined on 11/15/2014Big I chose Hostaria del Piccolo from a restaurant review site, and it not only looked promising, it turned out to be a great dining experience. Hostaria Piccolo is a lovely Westside restaurant in the middle of the whole Santa Monica Promenade area. They have a valet for easy access, and have a low corkage fee of $20.00, and the overall ambience was really nice. It wasn't pretentiously upscale, but it was spacious, nicely designed, and felt welcoming. It's a bit noisy. Some of the best things about this place are: The staff was prompt, friendly, and service was timed well. In many ways, Hostaria del Piccolo is tapas style dining (easily shared), and the meals and appetizers had creative elements without tasting strange. Almost all of their dishes accommodate food allergies. Although I didn't have any pizza, the delicious looking pizza menu was huge, and seems to be popular. The veggie side dishes are super, and seemed more like stand alone appetizers. I would recommend this restaurant, and I will happily return there. It also seems like a great location for for pre-movie or post movie dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fan-frikkin-tastic!laulou212VIPDined on 11/12/2014I love this restaurant. The relaxed vibe, friendly servers and phenomenal food keep me coming back. The standout dish is Piovra, octopus with vegetables. It is perfect each and every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- complete downfallkvg15VIPDined on 11/8/2014used to be a great restaurant - went down significantly. bad pasta, bad service, new menu which is considerably worse - would not go again
- My favorite Santa Monica spotLuvinit4238Dined on 11/6/2014My boyfriend and I come here all the time. We love the food and the friendly staff. I just wish I lived closer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood DelightMichaelDined on 11/3/2014Finally, a neighborhood restaurant that has excellent food, great service which is extremely friendly knowledgable. I would put this place up against any restaurant in Los Angeles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easy and deliciousPrezwhateverVIPDined on 11/1/2014Love this place. The valet is easily accessed.Service is friendly and knowledgable. Food is outstanding. Partial to the Farro saladSpecial Features:
- Food too saltyJamesDined on 11/1/2014I probably wouldn't go again. I've been there several times, but the food has gotten saltier over time.
- LEwisDined on 10/31/2014As usual, wonderful food. We were there on Halloween, and though the costumes of the staff were entertaining, the party atmosphere made things a bit hectic.Special Features:
- Always greatgfsmgalVIPDined on 10/31/2014The food is always great, the staff is wonderful and I get wonderful gluten free meals!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious grilled everythingZoomVIPDined on 10/31/2014The grilled calamari, octopus & ricotta dishes are definately worth trying. The pasta with sardines (the friday pasta special) was just about perfect. The server was charming, efficient & informed. Bravi tutti!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has potential...MBLADCVIPDined on 10/28/2014Nice place with a great location. I liked the menu and the prices seemed reasonable. The portions were probably a little on the small side. Biggest problem was flavor. Both entrees were lacking salt and since there was no salt on the table we had to ask. I prefer to have my food delivered ready to eat. The pasta was especially bland. I might give it another chance.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish We Lived Closer to This Rest!Elayne123VIPDined on 10/26/2014This is a great neighborhood italian restaurant. Pasta is homemade with a variety of sauces. Enjoyed the pizza, too. Service is top notch! Wish you would open in the South Bay!Special Features:
- Best Italian in Santa Monicahurley999jbDined on 10/25/2014Pasta, pizza, apps are all phenomenal. Pasta is fresh and it makes a huge difference. Try the squid ink and ahi pizza for something different!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bravo Fabio!CaptainCalamari1Dined on 10/24/2014Having lived in Rome for a year and spent considerable time in Italy and Sicily over the past 35 years, I have learned a great deal about Italian food. Spending my childhood in my Neapolitan Grandmother's kitchen didn't hurt either. The first meal I had at Hostaria del Piccolo was as good as any other meal I can fondly recall. What passes for Italian food in countless LA restaurants I find uninspired and inedible, that includes the pretentious trendy joints that require earplugs to avoid hearing damage while you dine. I will be returning to Hostaria del Piccolo as often as possible until I have eaten my way through the entire menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good as usualbaxter23Dined on 10/17/2014We love coming here - the food's good, the martini's excellent, the servers always very attentive (maybe a little too much sometimes.) It's becoming our neighborhood go-to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good serviceVfr292Dined on 9/20/2014I was there for lunch and would go back. Only problem was finding parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My first timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014Hostaria del Piccolo was good, though it wasn't as good as if I hadn't been to Italy recently. The Carbonara was not as creamy and rich as in Italy, so I wished I was back there. It was a bit al dente as I like it, and it was the sauce that was just not what I had in Lucca. The atmosphere was good and at 6:30, not crowded or noisy. As the evening progressed it filled up. The waitress was always aware and showed up as I wanted something. She was superb.
- Unique small platesCharmelVIPDined on 9/9/2014For midday mid Santa Monica a fine find Ask for less salt as their beef is best without it Would love more vegetable choices as they do them wellSpecial Features:
- Fantastic pasta and pizzaJillianDined on 8/31/2014Delicious food! The pastas and pizza were excellent, but although the grilled octopus was nice and tender, it was a bit too salty for my taste and the seasonal vegetables were a bit too mushy. The other starters were nice and fresh and very tasty, and the desserts and capuccinos were wonderful. Service was incredible.Special Features:
- Solid choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/30/2014This is what a neighborhood italian place should be. Actual italian food, reasonable prices, comfortable environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommendLuvGoodFoodDined on 8/23/2014Great food, great service! I come here often and have never been disappointed. I highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hosteria Del PiccoloHighlanderDined on 8/20/2014A busy place but not too crowded for a weekday. The waitress was able to spend time with us, which was good because we were unfamiliar with the menu. Lots of interesting things to try, as a group of 6 we were able to share. The food was good but not enough to hurry back. The cured meats and cheese plate was standard fare, nothing special; the Pescetti could have been crispier; the Frico needed something more; the Papardelle was a little bland. The desserts were good, especially the Tortino. There was a good variety of wine, and reasonable. A good place for a group meal because you can get on with your conversation without having to worry where your server has disappeared. A bit on the expensive side for the quality of the cooking.Special Features:
- DELICIOUS VENETIAN TAPASPucciaceilsoleDined on 8/18/2014Try more than one appetizer ... MOSCARDINI and POLENTA is my favorite in this nice place!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lucky FindPastriesEstVieDined on 8/8/2014I chose this spot randomly, my friends were up for Italian, and so I made reservations. Boy was it worth it. The food is absolutely amazing, the service was great, and we all loved it. Very healthy food, with vegan, gluten free versions of a lot of stuff was available. No matter though, because everything tasted amazing. I personally had the Gnocchi, and although visually I feel that its a bit too, doughy, but these guys have it down to the last morsel. Their ricotta cake on the other hand.... Is more than enough to die for. If it was up to me, I would have ordered five of them, and refused to share. The blueberry sauce was a bit off, but the cake itself was better than anything I have ever tasted if the sort.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/8/2014Upon arrival the hostess immediately greeted then seated us, when she could see that we didn't like the table, she immediately apologized and said we could sit there until another became available or wait in the bar for a table on the patio. So nice, so simple, no "oh I'm sorry those are already reserved, blah, blah, blah...". She quoted 15 to 20 and like a stopwatch, within 15 minutes she found us in the bar and took us to a great table! The waiter was nice, the food was delicious and not ridiculously expensive! We liked it and will be back!Special Features:
- Good ambiance but food taste variedmjwang717VIPDined on 8/8/2014Overall, our experience was pleasant. The restaurant had a nice lively atmosphere. However, the food, while well prepared and beautifully presented, had inconsistent seasoning. Between four diners, each ordering an appetizer and an entree, we found the majority of the dishes were either over or under seasoned (most notably the neri pasta being under seasoned and the grilled octopus appetizer being over salted). In addition, there was a short instance when we were waiting to order that our waitress seemed to linger at another particular table. Other than that instance, the wait staff was friendly and accommodating. While all in all the experience was a fair one, there were a couple things to be desired.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!lafoodieDined on 8/7/2014Food is always wonderful. Fun place to go with a group...small plates for sharing. Wide range of pizza choices white and red. Comfortable and casual! Will definitely come back.Special Features:
- Much ado about not muchAndrewVIPDined on 8/3/2014I was looking forward to trying this lower priced version of Piccolo but was disappointed. The pasta was overly salty and overcooked by at least a minute. I have since been told to stick to pizza. The wine by the glass list is limited and mediocre
- Thank you!THANKYOUDined on 8/1/2014I love the food here! My group had a ton of dietary restrictions and Hostaria accommodated everyone! Delish!Special Features:
- OscarOscarDined on 8/1/2014This is our go to Italian Restaurant in Santa Monica. Food is all farm to table and fresh. Menu is simple, and very friendly people.Special Features:
- Amazing fresh pastahurley999jbDined on 7/31/2014I have been here twice, highly recommend ANY of the pastas and the squid ink/ahi pizza.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinner restaurantACsweDined on 7/27/2014We had fantastic pizzas, very taste, ingredients felt fresh and even for a pizza, very healthy. They had some good Italian beers that are not so easy to find. Great place!Special Features:
- The following 587 reviews are from the Hostaria del Piccolo reviews archive.
- Always a pleasure.PeteDined on 7/23/2014I've probably been there 10 times. Mostly for lunch, but a few dinners mixed in. It is always reliable and delightful. Your visit starts with a staff that genuinely seems happy to see patrons walk in the door and they treat you that way the whole meal. Nice people with a good knowledge of the menu and wines. I have had the pastas, pizzas and a number of the appetizer. Always great tastes. A menu that is intriguing but not so funky that a picky eater can't find something they'll love. The portions are perfect. They aren't huge and heavy. Not so small that I walk away feeling like I didn't get enough. Never disappoints. Enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- *****ALL 5 STARS*****OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/21/2014Authentic. Fantastic. Excellence. From the staff to the ambiance to the food. Perfection.Special Features:
- Good for the priceunevenDined on 7/20/2014Good food at reasonable prices. The gnocchi and the octopus appetizer were both especially nice. Friendly, pleasant staff and a fast kitchen.Special Features:
- TOO LOUD!!!!HTINCADined on 7/18/2014Amazing food and service -but WAY TOO LOUD!!! Next time, we will go before the crowd arrives so that we can actually hear one another and have a conversation. The food and service are so good that it makes up for the unreasonably loud sound levels.
- Lovely spotnylaDined on 7/15/2014If you're looking for a lively restaurant with delicious food, look no further. The greeting was hospitable, but waiter could have been more attentive. We had to catch his eye to ask for wine and coffee. He never asked if we wanted anything to drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- itslapDined on 7/14/2014Selected DineLA menu. Food was good. Desserts just ok. Service great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic ItalianrosesRredVIPDined on 7/14/2014Always fresh, easy to eat Paleo style this neighborhood gem has not disappointed after 6 or 7 meals here. The Ricottina and Grilled Wild King Salmon with Summer Veggies were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.