Horse and Hound Gastropub
625 West Main Street
Charlottesville, VA 22903Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
Horse and Hound Gastropub
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.horseandhoundgastropub.com/
- Phone: (434) 293-3365
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Luther Fedora
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer full service off site catering any thing from a casual BBQ to a large wedding. No job is to big or to small. Our pastry chef also offers specialty cakes and wedding cakes.Our facility is a great place for fun, informal events. We can host everything from an intimate birthday party or small business meeting to a large rehearsal dinner or company get together. Our outdoor patio accommodates about 80 people. Our dining room seats 90, and our paddock seats 30. We can create a special menu for your event. Please call Brooke to discuss your needs at 434.293.3365.
- Cross Street: 7th Street NW
- Public Transit: The Charlottesville Trolley stops just across the street from us. We are also across the street from the Amtrak Station and a few blocks away from the Greyhound Bus station.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: We have lots and lots of parking next to our building as well as right behind our building.
A word from Horse and Hound Gastropub
Gas·tro·pub\gas-trō-pub\ n: a relaxed setting for enjoying excellent food along with a wide variety of draught beers from around the world. We offer a friendly atmosphere to enjoy one of our wonderful entrees like Shrimp & Grits, Pan-Roasted Salmon with fresh corn creme, 12oz Ribeye steak with Stilton blue cheese smashed potatoes and tempura battered onion rings, just to name a few or come in and enjoy one of our many burgers or our Smoked & Roasted Ribs with hand cut french fries. All our menu items pair beautifully with one of our specialty beers or wine choices.We offer a kid"s menu and have a wonderful patio in which we welcome your four footed friends.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Horse and Hound Gastropub - Best Restaurants in Charlottesville ›
Horse and Hound Gastropub reviews from OpenTable diners
16 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (6)great for outdoor dining (6)fit for foodies (5)neighborhood gem (4)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Worst Service EverZoom2001Dined on 10/11/2014We had reservations for 7 on a Saturday night in October. Once we were sat and given water, we did not see a server for a long time. When he did come, we ordered drinks and our meals at the same time. About an hour went by (no Joke, my some was paying attention to this.) when we found the waiter and asked about food and drinks. "No one has come by your table yet"? he asked. Isn't that what you do? Food finally comes out. My salad came with my entre, which is an inconvenience for trying to enjoy each course with room on the table. My sons food did not arrive then, nor did drinks! We continue to wait for his dinner to show up, ten minutes later it does. Drinks are still missing, and all we get from the staff are excuses.Special Features:
- Great food and beerLizzyDined on 9/20/2014H & H is a must for those into beer. The list of draft beers is detailed, varied and well-chosen. Waitstaff offers to provide tastings if you can't decide. Four visits yielded four different special menus (Octoberfest is on now), each of which offered standout choices. On the Octoberfest menu, the beef roulade is delicious. The red cabbage that came with several entrees was the best I've had. A potato pancake appetizer needed something to hold it together and was greasy. Boiled potatoes served as a side with a sausage platter had too much vinegar and not enough interest. The beer is the real hit here and the food usually supports it well.Special Features:
- First VisitDinerDined on 8/24/2014The restaurant is attractive and has a nice outside porch. Unfortunately, the chairs are quite uncomfortable - but that could be easily fixed. The food is serviceable, though our eggs (brunch) were cold, and the kale salad needs a redo with more items mixed in rather than mostly shredded kale. Still, the atmosphere is pleasant and the service good, and we plan to give it another try. Wanted to like this place more than we did the first time around.
- OverpricedMAllenDined on 8/22/2014I was a bit surprised at the quality of the food for the price. Hamburgers were the most overdone/poor quality of meat I've seen in a while. Had been here before for a big event when the food was good, but now I see why the place was nearly empty on Friday night of move-in weekend.
- Great Ribsluv2dineDined on 8/2/2014We heard great reviews about the Horse and Hound from friends and decided to finally take their advice. The seating availability was great around 5:45 pm on a Saturday; however, as dinner progressed the availability quickly dwindled. The patio was a great place to enjoy a nice rack of ribs and some bacon wrapped dates along with a few glasses of traminette. The sauce on the fall-off-the-bone ribs was amazing and the wine was a great selection made by our waiter. The horse and hound certainly earned their title as a gastropub.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 222 reviews are from the Horse and Hound Gastropub reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/27/2014We had a reservation for 11:00. It was fully one hour -- 12:00 -- before our meals were served. No explanations. No one (such as the hostess) checked in. And I specifically asked our wait staff person when we were seated if we could order (we had an active three year old and a four month old in our party).Special Features:
- lbjskinsfanDined on 7/26/2014They weren't that busy but we didn't get a lot of service. We got the beer pairing and never actually got the beer with our food and then our food came all out at once so we were not able to enjoy the beer with the food.Special Features:
- Excellent Restaurant WeekFoodMonsterDined on 7/26/2014I've never eaten here outside of restaurant week, but the food during was top notch. Everything was perfectly cooked and seasoned, and appetizer, entree, and dessert were all fantastic. Atmosphere was nice, and the wait staff was kind. Dishes were spaced evenly each a few minutes apart, which I actually rather enjoyed. Portions were not very large, but this is typical in restaurant week. Overall a great experience and excellent food.Special Features:
- Gastro?atppowerDined on 7/24/2014The gastropub movement started in London, and I have been to several such establishments there (and one in Burlington, VT). A real gastropub offers unusual dishes that one might expect to find in a high-end restaurant but at a more moderate price and usually features a menu that changes daily. I have visited H&H twice during Charlottesville's Restaurant Week, and it certainly does fit that definition then; however, the regular menu is basically standard pub-fare, fish and chips, bangers and mash, etc. Gastro? I think not! (But still probably a nice place to have lunch or a casual dinner.)Special Features:
- Overall excellent dining experienceLizDDined on 7/24/2014We came here for C-ville's dining week because the menu looked great and it did not disappoint! The kale salad and ribs/rings apps were delicious as were our dinners. The staff was informative and friendly and we look forward to heading back here again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Beer ListNewEnglandNativeDined on 7/24/2014Had dinner Thursday evening during restaurant week. Food was excellent and the service was outstanding. Our waitress, Megan, perfectly balanced checking on our status while not intruding on conversation, and had a pleasant, friendly demeanor. H&H was busy, but not overly crowded. I thought the food was a little pricey, but this has been consistent with my H&H experience; pricey, but worthwhile. Considering food quality, service, atmosphere, and beer selection (which is excellent), I believe H&H offers good value for your money. I have never been disappointed there. I would definitely recommend H&H and will be going back.Special Features:
- All on for Horse and HoundagratefulcookDined on 7/24/2014We visited during C'Ville's Restaurant Week, Summer 2014. Their $26 prix fixe menu, with optional craft beer pairings, was diverse. Despite it's central location, parking was not a problem. Food was excellent and a genuine foodie haven. While I rarely order fish unless I know where and when it came from, I ordered the flounder. Served on a round of "quinoa risotto," the rolls of fish were piped with pesto and attractively presented. I'm not sure if the term "risotto" was at all necessary, but it sounded intriguing. The flavors worked well. It was fresh and light and properly cooked. Perfect for a hot, summer evening. Will visit again, even at full price!Special Features:
- Imaginative beer pairingsLiamoDined on 7/23/2014They have a great draft beer selection and the food, even the desserts, are prepared using different beers.Special Features:
- Vegan friendlyGailDined on 7/20/2014They made special dishes for one of our group who was vegan. Menu food Restaurant week was well worth exploring.Special Features:
- Great!cbw2014Dined on 5/31/2014We went here for Saturday brunch/lunch for a family celebration (there were 10 of us) and it was just perfect. The food was delicious, the waitstaff terrific and the outside seating was comfortable, with a wonderful ambiance. A fabulous setting for a happy family time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediocreWyncoteVIPDined on 5/18/2014Limited menu. Bland food. The beer was decent, but that was the only redeeming feature. Avoid this place.
- Great graduation dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/17/2014As a family celebrating a graduation, we were not rushed, had very good food and could hear each other talk. A very pleasant meal. The staff members were very nice.Special Features:
- good, but not as good as expectedmduvalDined on 5/11/2014We took our mom here for Mother's Day lunch, it seemed like a very 'her' type of place and we were excited! The food was pretty good, though no one seemed overly impressed with their order. They had some kind of oddball pairings, as a gastropub should, and the home fries that came with everything were beyond delish. Our server was friendly, but we were kind of a forgotten table - we ate lunch with appetizer plates still on the table, empty drink glasses and we were there for 30 minutes after we finished eating and our plates were never cleared. The restaurant was only half full, not enough people to justify server problems. I would go back to give it another shot, but if it went the same way as this time I likely wouldn't return.Special Features:
- Pleasant Outside DiningSeptemberVIPDined on 5/10/2014We had a table outside under a canopy and found it really enjoyable. The beer selection was very good and several of us had a nice flight of 4-6oz beers ($16). My half rack of ribs (weekends only) was enormous and came with two very good sides. After an awkward delay in getting the first round, service was attentive. Parking was free and easy.Special Features:
- Great meal - great beer!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014We had a great meal with a party of 6. Nice big booth inside for us. Band playing on patio as well. Slow cooked Ribs were falling off the bone - delicious. Several in our party got the Shrimp and grits - also very tasty! Beer selections were very nice - not beers that you can just find anywhere.Special Features:
- The Brunch of all brunchesBrunchLovinWahooDined on 4/20/2014I wanted to take my family somewhere for Easter brunch and had this recommended by a friend. The food and service were excellent with a fun atmosphere. Although we ate inside the outside seating are was beautiful and I'd love to sit out there when we go back! Additionally they have an extensive list of beers and delicious looking Bloody Mary's. They also have what is called the "Beer Olympics" involving the consumption of copious amounts of beer in a large glass boot. Although we didn't participate, the idea alone may be enough to force my friends and family to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice surprise.DowliphDined on 4/12/2014A last minute reservation gave us the opportunity to dine here. Good variety as we sampled great ribs, shrimp and grits and salads. Good selection of beers and wine. Live entertainment on the patio. Ample parking in the rear.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum yumOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/2/2014Took a family friend and UVA student here for dinner and sat outside. Food was wonderful and service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced and under-furnishedOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/29/2014The menu looks good online, but the burger was flavorless and the scallops were over cooked and far too salty. Limited wine menu. Furniture was uncomfortable. Table was sticky (had been cleaned, but was old and no tablecloth so arms stuck to varnish!) service was not bad, but not anything exciting.
- Exceptional experienceUkpeppersDined on 3/12/2014The food was authentic and delicious and the service was flawless. We were all stuffed after the generous portions!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So soSharonDined on 2/22/2014Menu on the website did not reflect what they actually had available, as they were having specials for Mardi Gras so the menu was very limited. Beware around special holidays as they may not have everything. Our waitress was great as was the service. The food was ok, nothing special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed the food and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/16/2014Enjoyed the food and service. Nice suprise to find a restaurant combining great food with great service in C, ville. We will make the 2 hour trip just to have brunch again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasedEnny12Dined on 2/14/2014Our Valentine's Day plans were ruined by the snow so last minute we were trying to find dinner plans. This was the first time I've ever used open table and I now have the app on my phone! I've told all my friends and family Horse and Hound Gastropub is a must!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great datea3001milkmanDined on 2/14/2014Great evening out with my wife, had a great dinner, and service was great as always. Surf and turf was superb; the chicken was good as well, however it was a little smokey. Would recommend this restaurant to everyone I know as always. Keep up the great service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014The ribs were fall off the bone tender and had just the right amount of smoke and spice. Fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine DiningTAJMDined on 2/14/2014Good service, food, ambiance but a little too pricy. Scallops were a little overcooked and so overpowered by bacon their flavor was lost. We would return.Special Features:
- Great find for a Sunday brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/2/2014Very accommodating for a large group with two young children. Quick, friendly service. Delicious food. Will look forward to next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice restaurant week experienceMrsMooHooDined on 2/1/2014Dined in the early part of the evening on Saturday night during restaurant week. Service was extremely fast, perhaps even a bit rushed but our server was very pleasant. The chicken entree was outstanding, so tender, flavorful and juicy. Enjoyed all of the meal but the other dishes weren't particular stand-outs. Short but well selected draft list and a great outdoor patio will make us likely to return when the weather turns warmer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite Shrimp and Grits!kittymakinbiskitsDined on 1/30/2014Besides their fabulous, albeit short, beer list, Horse and Hound hasn't ceased to please my palate on many occasion. There may be hundreds of ways to prepare the southern staple of Shrimp and Grits, but H&H does it right by my taste buds. My last visit was during Restaurant Week, and I was pleasantly surprised to find a number of items on the menu that I was excited to taste. I was also lucky to be with a large group of friends, so there was a lot of family style plate passing, too! Every thing we ordered was hearty and deliciously decadent. I recommend getting a lamb dish, the shrimp and grits (both when available) and yes, explore the dessert menu! Do the beer pairing when available also. Good eats and cozy atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Night OutEloiseDined on 1/26/2014We selected Horse and Hound Gastropub from the long list of restaurants participating in Restaurant Week.The menu was varied and interesting. Although the beer pairings looked charming, we don't often drink and therefore did not have any. We each had a superb dinner (I loved my kale salad and monkfish and my husband had a large slab of very tender, flavorful lamb). The side dishes were lovely, and the desserts were innovative and delicious. We will definitely go back soon. Our server was prompt, considerate, and charming. Compliments to him, the chef, and the owner for hiring them! We had a wonderful time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was just okCvillemarineDined on 12/31/2013Beer was great, food just ok. Burgers could have been better! Try something else!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- horse and houndOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/21/2013has gone down hill over last 2 years ribs were dry menu is stagnant deserts used to be great- now very pedestrian
- Awesome!JessieDined on 11/30/2013I recently dined at the Horse & Hound with my family for brunch. It was amazing! When we first walked in, the hostess greeted us and she was really sweet and courteous. The service was great! Our server was very knowledgeable about everything I inquired about. I ordered the crab cakes eggs benedict, and it was excellent. We also took a look at the dinner menu, and we will definitely be back to try to Foxfield burger and the scallops!!! Great restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had brunch here with my husbandLuv2doWIneVIPDined on 11/23/2013Had brunch here with my husband during a visit to Charlottesville recently. We enjoyed our meal, prices are not cheap but everything comes out fresh and hot. On Saturdays, they only serve a brunch menu but there are many options to choose from. It's a good place to get a home cooked meal and decent foods. I would recommend.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a wonderful timemomjudyDined on 11/16/2013I brought my husband, brother-in-law and sister-in-law for birthday celebrations. The wait staff was attentive and the food was great. This was our first time dining here and the noise level was low which gave us the opportunity to actually talk and be able to hear each other, which was nice since my brother-in-law and sister-in-law are from out of town and it gave us an opportunity to "catch up" without having to yell over the crowd.Special Features: