Hops & Hominy
1 Tillman Place
San Francisco, CA 94108Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
Hops & Hominy
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hopsandhominy.com/
- Phone: 4153736341x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 11:00 am - 3:00 pm
Weekday Breakfast: 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
Monday- Wednesday Dinner: 4:00 pm- 9:00 pm
Thursday- Saturday Dinner: 4:00 pm- 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Southern
- Executive Chef: David Baeli
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have several private event options:
Our upstairs mezzanine seats 30 guests for dinner, or 45 for a standing reception.
Our main floor dining seats 50 guest for dinner, or 80+ for standing reception. There is a full service bar on the main floor.
The patio area can be reserved for up to 50 guests.
We are also available to book the entire facility for larger events.
Please contact Kate for details at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Private Party Contact: Kate Jameson 4153736341x
- Special Events: Please refer to the private party description. Kate is happy to answer any questions at email@example.com
- Cross Street: Grant Avenue between Sutter & Post (small alley)
- Public Transit: Bart: Montgomery Station; Powell Station
Muni: Montgomery Station; Powell Station
Bus Lines: Montgomery; Powell; Bush; Sutter; Post; Market stops
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There is street parking at night. The Union Square and White House parking garages are conveniently located within 1 block.
A word from Hops & Hominy
We’re three friends from Ocala, Florida, with deep roots in small town hospitality. Our Southeastern inspired restaurant features a variety of sustainable and organic goods, craft brewed American micro-beers, and a choice collection of local wines and spirits. We aim to recreate a little taste of Southern community, bringing people together by sharing great food & drink. We look forward to welcoming you into our family.Continued
Daniel, David, and Adam
Hops & Hominy
Daniel, David, and Adam
Hops & Hominy
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Hops & Hominy reviews from OpenTable diners
135 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (63)neighborhood gem (55)vibrant bar scene (50)hot spot (44)good for groups (32)late-night find (18)great for lunch (17)special occasion (17)great for brunch (14)romantic (10)notable wine list (8)great for outdoor dining (6)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Started out good but...SteakLoverVIPDined on 9/18/2014Appetizers (MacNCheese and Fritters) were great. Cornbread was also good. However, dinner entrees (Salmon, Chicken Dumplings) were very disappointing then we ordered the Peach Cobbler and a disappointing meal turned into a horrible dinner. Seriously, how can you ruin Peach Cobbler? Well this place did. Can't recommend.
- Great Menu- Food Doesn't ImpressNatashaSFVIPDined on 9/15/2014To start- great service. Corn bread is dry and tasteless until you add the amazing whipped butter. Heirloom tomato dish was ok. Wings were not crispy enough and need a little more taste depth in the sauce. Shrimp and grits were ok- shrimp was cooked perfectly. Grits had good texture but the sauce could be improved. I've had better meals here- but it's hit or miss if you're a foodie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/12/2014Terrible service. They only have 6 beers on tap. Both beers were already gone at 8PM. We ordered an IPA, and the waitress brought back both beers. We immediately tasted the beer and knew it wasn't an IPA. She said oh ya we're out of that beer, I just picked whatever was closest. She didn't tell us or ask us which beer we wanted. The waitress also proceeded to take our drink and food menu before we had even ordered. I also ordered a burger medium rare, not flavorful or juicy. Don't come here.
- modern take on Southern cuisinezookaDined on 9/12/2014Simple, clean flavors yet still clearly Southern cuisine. Absolutely delicious! All the yummy qualities of southern country cooking but not quite as heavy, with fresh local ingredients, and a modern twist here and there. Chicken and dumplings were to die for! Also recommend the black eye pea fritters and the brussel sprouts cooked in bacon - yum. Cocktails were just so so, the wine list is better. But considering the quality of the food, who cares lol!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Healthy SouthernJs47Dined on 9/12/2014We had a quick dinner here, brussel sprouts, black eye pea fritters, and tri-tip sandwich. The fritters definitely took the GOLD! They were delicious! The other 2 were definitely good, but would not go out of my way to eat them again. Drinks were also good, but nothing that would blow my mind. The service was great! and complimentary corn bread was yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Hour GemDesertfatherDined on 9/12/2014I was looking for a DINING experience. What I found is a great watering hole w/ AWESOME soul food. Terrific food and service. LOUD crowd!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehgoodeatsDined on 9/11/2014Good bar scene. Packed and loud. Food was mediocre at best. Tri-tip sandwich was dry and lacked flavor, and tomato salad was pretty pedestrian. Apricot bread pudding was pretty good, but overall I was quite underwhelmed by the food, which is the primary reason for my low rating since it's usually the main thing that brings one to a restaurant.Special Features:
- Tasty foodkapaBRDined on 9/8/2014this hidden restaurant offers a relaxed atmosphere (a bit noisy), good beer selection, and typical southeastern food, tasty and well executed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great...mjrdomoDined on 9/5/2014Can't get better than good food n good service! Had fried oysters, grilled okra, corn bread n honey butter (yum), fried chicken (moist n tender), & salmon. Yes, a lot for 2 ppl. All were great! Service made me feel right at home. Only one suggestion...I had bouton w/infused smoked bacon...no bacon flavor n stock liquid smoke (n way too much of it)...with the right amt of smoke n actual bacon flavor that woulda made the evening more spl than it was. Lookin for a homey place to eat in the heart of the city? This is it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE LOVE LOVE!123456abcdefDined on 9/2/2014We took my boyfriend's parents here while they were visiting. Being from the south, they have quite the palette for truly southern dishes. This place passed with flying colors. I recommend the fried oysters and the shrimp and grits, but honestly, everything is amazing!Special Features:
- LOVE IT!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/19/2014great food, drink and service. the guys that own it are awesome- I am a regular (work in the area) and bring all my friendsSpecial Features:
- Second visitEdwardJDined on 8/18/2014On our second trip to SF, we had to go back to Hops and Hominy. The second visit did not disappoint - the drinks (we had the sangria and the bacon -infused manhattan were delicious. The fried oysters were top notch. I had the chicken and my wife had the shrimp and grits - both were excellent. We will definitely keep on our list when we return againSpecial Features:
- Excellent food and serviceLeedstravellor14Dined on 8/17/2014Found this place on 4square, what a find! Nice decor, amazing southern comfort food and great service. Eaten both brunch and dinner here, in my opinion the best food in San Francisco!Special Features:
- Awesome, A SF MustTheUsualDined on 8/17/2014The drinks were expertly mixed. The service was just as professional. The food was edgy and new but with old flavors that made this pseudo-Southerner feel at home. And, without a doubt, the best tatar tarts I have ever had in my life. And this was just lunch. I went back later that night for an awards dinner and the staff were very friendly, joined in congratulating all the winners, and remembered which drink I liked best =) THANK YOU!Special Features:
- 5lidePieceVIPDined on 8/16/2014Wonderful new interpretations of comfort classics. Great cocktails and attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alley Dining FindVisitorDined on 8/16/2014Found this restaurant while searching the internet for a 'foodie' style restaurant we hadn't been too ... it was GREAT! We love finding 'off the beaten path' places ... cocktails were good, southern food was delicious!, ambiance was lively (a little dim by the back alley windows) ... staff was very responsive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A hidden spot!labradorDined on 8/16/2014It was really noisy but because it was so packed on a Saturday night, we were glad that we had a reservation. There are a good range of beers. We both went for the burger and a portion of fries to share. We were given corn bread as we waited for the mains, this was OK but is probably more of an acquired taste. The garlic fries were delicious and the burgers were tasty but on the small side in comparison to the portion size of the fries and came with a tiny salad garnish, a little more would have been nice. Overall we enjoyed the meal but didn't return because we felt the menu was a bit limiting. The server was very pleasant and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Completely disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/15/2014The food was terrible as was the service. 45 minutes to get our appetizer? Another 35 minutes to receive our entrees? No apologies for the delay- just an excuse that there was a rush. I will never be back and will make sure my friends know not to waste their time and money there.
- Great food, fun atmosphereM808Dined on 8/11/2014The service was great and attentive, food and drinks were equally delicious.Special Features:
- Hops & Ho-HumHungrySFDined on 8/9/2014If forced to return, I'd stick to having a drink at the bar. The beer menu was great with lots of local choices. Lighting was poor; couldn't read the microscopic print detailing my beer, so I don't know anything beyond the type & origin of my brew. We had the misfortune of being seated in the bar area next to the back door and had to listen to lots of loud patrons who kept going in and out, leaving the door open. As for food, the highlight were the baked goods. The complimentary corn bread with honey butter was tasty, if not warm enough. The biscuit that accompanied the fried chicken was also good. The fried chicken itself was not crispy, and under seasoned. The chicken & dumplings was celery heavy and in need of salt or flavor.
- Love bunny baralcheDined on 8/5/2014My favorite bar in the city and will be there again very soon. The black eye fritters are beyond amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden Gem near Union SquareBandBDined on 8/4/2014This was a recommendation from a 40-something and very appropriate! Restaurant is tucked away and has two access doors - bar is very lively with a bartender who really earned his tips this evening. Staff is all cheerful and want you to have a great time. Menu is unusual for the selections and all well presented and tasty! Make a reservation to avoid a longer wait - we visited on a Monday and place was full!Special Features:
- LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/4/2014It was empty as heck, which feels a little weird for lunch time. I've been before for lunch and it wasn't quite so. Not sure.I would recommend this to a friend.
- IrenVIPDined on 8/4/2014Even though a downtown restaurant had a small town and personal feeling. Used to know that place as the Temple Bar. Sad to see that great bar was not there. Had a conversation with the chef/owner. Great food profile and interetsing menu.Special Features:
- Comfort food!LisaVIPDined on 8/3/2014The fish Benedict was absolutely delicious. Also loved the Bloody Mary. Have only tried their brunch, but will definitely return for dinner soon.Special Features:
- As always, wonderful!SFJohnVIPDined on 8/2/2014As a frequent diner here, I am never, ever disappointed with the menu, no matter the changes. The pork chop was excellent and my friend's steak was seasoned perfectly. I will keep returning. I must do a shout out to the hostess because she was able to accommodate my request of seating us out of the way--sometimes the noise level in the restaurant gets a bit boisterous, and I prefer to be able to hear my dinner date. Again, the food and service were wonderful.Special Features:
- Southern flavorsfnative415Dined on 7/31/2014Great place tucked away in an alley off of Grant. Outdoor seating was bustling, as well as the indoor bar. Dinner early at 5:30pm was a good time for conversation, because by 6:30pm, it was very loud. Delectable garlic fries and heirloom tomatoes with burrata were good choices. Shrimp and grits was delightful, but the shrimp was over salted. Fried chicken done perfectly, but would have liked more collards. Artful pork belly. Dessert chocolate bacon ice cream in a tiny cup of espresso was not up to snuff after a very good meal. Cobbler was better. Overall a very good place for after work dinner and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealjlologinDined on 7/28/2014Went here on the recommendation of a local. Loved it. Great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid food, quaint ambianceParisDunkDined on 7/28/2014Food was good. Had country fried steak and fried chicken. Both were solid. Country fried steak was delicious but a bit heavy. Mac and Cheese was creamy. The absolute highlight was the jalapeno tequila drink. Such an extraordinary taste to have the spice kick it. The ambiance/decoration were very quaint, I enjoyed it. It was not overly too decorative, a very hip yet eloquent feel. High ceiling. Definitely would return here again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/16/2014Nice variety on menu and different choices from mainstay restaurants.Special Features:
- A great little restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/14/2014The grilled okra is delish! So is the chicken and dumplings! This spot is a yummy find.Special Features:
- All round good experienceBradDined on 7/12/2014Nice vibe, good food, wine & cocktails, great service and reasonably priced. Overall, an enjoyable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SaltytravelwithdogsDined on 7/11/2014chicken fried steak gravey was over salted. Cornbread was delicious. Fried chick was average but accompanying hot sauce was tasty.Special Features:
- Whole lotta SoulBungle83Dined on 7/10/2014Great atmosphere, packed with lots of happy customers; the service was excellent and the food was too. Extremely interesting choices, tried the battered oysters for starter - they went down well with a beer! Had a steak for mains and again, really different and tasty! The staff were enthusiastic, friendly and seemed genuinely interested in their customers' dining experience. Would highly recommend this place!Special Features:
- FOOD WAS AWESOMELUVSOUTHERNFOODDined on 7/8/2014WE ORDERED APPETIZERS, BLACK EYED PEA FRITTERS AND GRILLED OKRA, THEY WERE DELICIOUS. THE FRIED CHICKEN WITH COLLARD GREENS WERE THE BEST I HAVE EVER HAD. CHICKEN WAS MOIST WITH A WONDERFUL CRISPY BREADING.( I ORDERED DARK MEAT CHICKEN) DRINKS FROM THE BAR WAS A BIT PRICEY BUT OVER ALL MY VISIT WAS WONDERFUL.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where are my dumplings?OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/30/2014This was my second time at Hops & Hominy. First time we sat at the bar, had some awesome cocktails, shared some corn bread and mac & cheese. This time we sat at a table (no room at bar). We ordered two gin & jam cocktails- yum! I ordered the Chicken & Dumplings and my friend had the burger. My chicken and dumplings showed up with NO dumplings to be found. I sent the dish back and they added my dumplings in. The way I know chicken & dumplings is very creamy, almost like a chicken pot pie but not in pie style. The description gave no indication it would be any different. My dish however was more like Chicken soup and it was very bitter (too much green onion I thin). My friend said her burger was really good but I was bummed about my meal.
- Uncomfortable foodnooovinoDined on 6/28/2014I'll keep this short. Basically, the food and drinks are good, but the service sucks. Our waitress hardly paid any attention to us the whole night, forgetting a bunch of stuff and then completely ignoring us. The people next to us had to get up and track her down to get their bill. Normally, this wouldn't prevent me from leaving a normal tip. My friend and I split our bill and our waitress told us she wouldn't take the change we threw in to round out the bill. When we explained it to her she said "Um, okay..." It was rude and we left a bad tip because of it. My friend and I were in shock walking away after that. So much so that my friend decided to call the restaurant and complain. Like I said, food was good, but won't be coming back.
- amazing southern fareGJSCDined on 6/27/2014The food is very representative of gulf coast southern cuisine. Absolutely spot on. Sweet tea had soured a bit by the time we got there at 7 pm, but understandable oversight when the rest of the food is so amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!feedthegirlDined on 6/27/2014I decided to try this place based on a coworker's recommendation, and I'm happy to say that all her "ooh-ing and ahh-ing" was my reaction, too! Yummy cocktails, delicious entrees (pork chop was amazing!)and decadent desserts. Even when it became really busy and crowded, service was great. I'm telling everyone I know to come here to satisfy their comfort food cravings!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Notes from a TexanOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/24/2014Hops & Hominy is my favorite find in San Francisco. Growing up in Texas, cornbread, grits, chicken and dumplings, and chicken fried steak were some of the best comfort food. And find it outside of Texas and the south is hard. Well, it's easy to find. But to find it made well is difficult. Hops & Hominy always delivers. I enjoy going with friends and love the drink menu as well. Every time I have been it has consistently been good. It definitely gets loud so it's probably not best for intimate conversation.Special Features: