230 Petaluma Avenue
Sebastopol, CA 95472Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hopmonk.com/
- Phone: 7078297300
- Hours of Operation:
Dining: Sunday-Thursday 11:30am-9:00pm; Friday & Saturday 11:30am - 9:30pm Bar: Varies depending on the night. Generally Tues-Sat bar stays open until 1:30 am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian
- Executive Chef: Billy Reid
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Free music on the outdoor beer garden stage (during Spring & Summer months) Fridays 5-8 pm, Saturday and Sundays, 1-4pm and 5-8pm. Adjacent to the beer garden is our music venue "The Abbey" - 260 square foot stage and dedicated bar. Please visit our website for further information on The Abbey music calendar.
- Special Events: Our beer garden is a beautiful place to host your group event. It can hold up to 150 people sitting and up to 300 cocktail style. Please contact Kim Schubert at 707-975-9810 or firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
A word from HopMonk Tavern
A rustic 105 year old stone and timber tavern with a world class beer garden, in the heart of the wine country. Come to HopMonk for fresh beer, local wines, great indoor tavern atmosphere, and our remarkable beer garden. Our moderately priced menu celebrates both traditional and innovative pairings of beer and food. Beer is fun; we know you'll enjoy our relaxed and informed service. Groups booking available. Live acoustic music from our beer garden stage weekend days and top local, regional and national acts our Abbey stage several nights a week.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
HopMonk Tavern - Best Restaurants in Sebastopol ›
HopMonk Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
29 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (21)good for groups (16)neighborhood gem (14)kid-friendly (11)great for lunch (10)hot spot (10)fit for foodies (9)vibrant bar scene (8)special occasion (7)notable wine list (5)great for brunch (4)late-night find (3)scenic view (2)romantic (1)Show More
- good food, great service, too noisyGretchenDined on 9/20/2014We like the Hopmonk for having very thoughtful service, reliably good dinners, and an interesting history. It is way too noisy with the recorded music in the background that does nothing to entertain but only raises the decibel level in the room until everyone is shouting to be heard. That's a problem in a stone room with a high ceiling and a hard floor. If management could buffer the acoustics (not hard to do) the place would be much more pleasant.Special Features:
- Don't go if you want good service.ShellacitaDined on 9/10/2014Horrible table service!! Extremely slow for drink order, food & never came back to collect our check!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great beer some good food service ?goodbobVIPDined on 8/17/2014Their own beers were great beet salad was great as was potato & leek soup - mussels were OK but I've had much better - service was indifferentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soul-lessamfdmDined on 8/17/2014The beer was great and if you're going there for that alone, you're set. But the food was only ok (pork sandwich is tasty, the fries are terrible and dry). The presentation was lacking. And the overall vibe -- it was like Dawn of the Dead -- with sticky tables. And the prices -- way too high for what's being delivered. Overall a disappointment.
- Inedibly SaltyFastidiousVIPDined on 8/14/2014A pulled Pork sandwich is supposed to be one of the specialties of the house but it was so salty I could only eat about half of my portion. When the waitress asked how our food was I told her the sandwich was too salty. She said she'd tell the chef. No apology. No offer of something else. Now I can share half a bag of potato chips with a friend so I don't hate salt. But I wouldn't pour salt on top of the potato chips. That's what this sandwich was like and even the bread didn't mitigate the extremely salty taste. Now, as everyone knows, you can always add salt, but you can't take it away. So this approach to food is insensitive as was the service. VERY POOR.
- Good timesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014We just finished a visit at the Gravenstein Apple Fair and our dinner at the Hop Monk a perfect finish for a great day. We all enjoyed the restaurant and the beer + food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, not great serviceJoyMarieCDined on 8/3/2014We went on a Sunday afternoon at 2 with a group of 7 with reservations. There was live music outside but we were stuck inside with no view or even music. We were able to hear the music once in a while when the door was open. Why not have an inside speaker? The interior was dark and the waiter was working outside as well so we rarely saw him at all. They never even asked us if we wanted a second round of drinks or offered a dessert menu. The food was all good, the fried calamari was good but there was far more fried onions than calamari on the plate. If I made reservations ahead of time and there was no option on the form or inside or out, why didn't they just put us where the music was? They couldn't leave the door open so we could hear?
- Fun RestaurantElayne123VIPDined on 7/28/2014This is a great restaurant if you're looking for a solid casual lunch or dinner spot. Menu has a variety healthy options. Our salads were delicious! Request seating on their patio if you like eating outdoors.Special Features:
- GregSDined on 7/20/2014Good crowd for a Sunday evening, but received prompt service. Typical bar selection of items, but prepared well. Overall good experience.Special Features:
- Fabulous FindhungrycatDined on 7/19/2014My family had a wonderful dining experience early last Saturday evening at HopMonk. We took advantage of the full bar - perfect generous cocktails - and ordered small bites and entrees, all delivered well-paced by a friendly server. Garlic fries and caprese salad were devoured quickly by my 13 year old as was the pulled pork sandwich by my mother. The burger was truly outstanding - I'm one of the few diners who prefer them well-done and this one was, but remained flavorful and juicy, with lovely house-made condiments. The quinoa salad, offered as a side, is a dish I'll order every time I return - interesting and satisfying blend of crispy shallots, citrus, raisins and green olives. We'll return as soon as we're back in the area!Special Features:
- Always a FavoriteBradVIPDined on 6/29/2014Hopmonk has three locations and this one is our favorite. Good food, beer and service as always, but there was a definite fly problem inside the bar area. Hadn't seen this before here, so it's probably an anomaly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfort!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/26/2014I had a pulled pork sandwich, very good. My husband had the mussels and were astonished over the amount(30!) for the price. We come from Sweden( pardon my english) and although we live at the westcoast and are used to good seafood we usually don't get so much... We had a very nice friendly waitress who got us as strong coffee as possible( we're swedes...)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceTontoDined on 6/20/2014Our waitress (wished I remembered her name) was awesome. Showed great enthusiasm and was very attentive. Ambiance speaks for itself. Always a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- family and birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/16/2014We are Sebastopol locals, so we really enjoy Hopmonk for a variety of reasons. In the last few years I've had my birthday dinner there. This time family from out of town were here, so we had dinner at Hopmonk. We like the Poetry slams and the comedy nights as well. Great Irish Coffee, wonderful fries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Beer and Suitable Pub Foodpl8trDined on 6/5/2014We chose Hop Monk for a dinner out with our teenage daughter. The service was great! Hop Monk confirmed our Open Table reservation with a phone call. We were seated right away and our waitress immediately took our drink order. The beer list is great and Hop Monk beers as well as other local favorites are featured on tap. Don't expect anything unusual from the food menu. It's suitable for the cost, but won't set your tastebuds alight. However, the servings are generous. The inside of Hop Monk is dank and not appealing. Eat outside if you can. I would say that Hop Monk is a much better venue for an outdoor lunch or late afternoon snack. And, always good for a beer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hopmonk TavernKatyopDined on 6/3/2014This is a busy, vibrant place to meet and relax. The outside garden area is reminiscent of the British pub scene, with a variety of eating areas shaded by trees and umbrellas and good for families with kids, who can run around without interfering with other guests. The beer selection is great and the dishes we ordered were very good. Most notable is their cheese and ham sandwich, according to our teenager. The help are all friendly and courteous and seem to work well together as a team. We'll be back.Special Features:
- The following 171 reviews are from the HopMonk Tavern reviews archive.
- Great outdoor patioSummerfunDined on 5/25/2014Had a get together with 6 friends on the patio on a warm night. Perfect ambiance and great pub food. Beers are great tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, slow serviceWordsmithDined on 5/11/2014The food and beer was great, but the service was slow. Our waiter was friendly enough but he did not check on us other than take our order and bring our check. It also took awhile to get drinks and our food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK for food but great for music!WorkerbeeDined on 5/3/2014We ate at the Hop Monk because we were attending a show there later in the night. For convenience it was a good choice but there may be better options in Sebastopol that are within walking distance. The food was just OK. Most options were on the heavy side. Mostly fried foods. A selection of lighter, healthier choices would be good. Service was good and most staff was friendly. The hostess was indifferent toward us. We had reservations and we were given a nice table. We never felt rushed. I would recommend the Hopmonk Tavern for the music venue but not the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good pre-concert dinnerfishbassDined on 5/2/2014Son and I both had the jambalaya w/ shrimp. Very good. 1 House salad was ample to split. Wine list was good and reasonable. I had a beer but wished i'd had some wine. Waitress was cute and friendly. The beer selection is over the top. Didn't have desert but looked good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- happyDinerdisappointedDinerDined on 5/1/2014Food was tasty, beer was great. My friend and I shared the Taco Four Pack and Sliders with an order of garlic fries, which made a nice lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- forgetable...hipsterchefDined on 4/26/2014It wasn't awful...but the samosas were over cooked, the tortillas on the tacos fell apart, the mac and cheese was not hot...it was just ok...Special Features:
- Midwest Client visitingSuzyDined on 4/16/2014I stopped by for lunch with clients from the Midwest. they loved the California take on the menu. They will defiantly recommenced for their attendees to stop by for lunch or dinner while they are out for their conference in September.Special Features:
- Great beer, food not so goodsukipoopsDined on 3/23/2014This pub/restaurant has a great energy and is very popular. We enjoyed the ambiance and the beer, however, I'd recommend that the cooks actually taste the food they serve on occasion. Garlic fries had raw garlic placed on top, which most fell to the bottom of the bowl. My grilled artichoke was dry and tasteless (and expensive) for what it was. Chopped Caesar salad was not fresh tasting, leaves were too old. Dressing was sparse so I asked for more and the dressing just wasn't very good at all. Bland tasteless croutons on top. Those who ordered burgers fared better but just about every dish came with fries so we felt overwhelmed by all the fries. This place is very busy all the time so maybe they don't feel they have to try too hard.Special Features:
- Go for the beerflyingchanges33Dined on 3/20/2014Go thirsty, but NOT hungry! Took way too long to get food. Beer was exceptional. Sweet potato fries very good, rest was dried out, not good.
- Very good but......AlamodeDined on 3/17/2014We went on St. Patrick's Day for dinner reserving there through Open Table. However, we have been to Hop Monk many times. Hop Monk is an easy place to go to with very good grub food and a great vibe. As it was Paddy's .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and beer selectionMicroBrewsRockDined on 3/14/2014We've been here multiple times for dinner, amazing micro-brews, and music. Every time we go, we always say we want to come back more frequently. I am continually impressed with their huge list of draft and bottled beer from around the world. All organized into different categories. And their food continues to impress. Over the past few years, they have enclosed the outside beer garden so it is nice to eat outside year round and you can still feel like you are outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Missed the MarkHighStandardFoodiesDined on 2/22/2014Made a point to visit with the family because the website claims that Pliny the Elder is always available. Was there at 5:00 pm Saturday, but Pliny was not. Very disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Holding outHungryChicDined on 2/15/2014They were out of all of the best beers & they were purposely holding onto their special keg & choosing not to tap it which was very uncool of them. Food was good, nothing to die for. Outside was super dirty, literally like eating at a barn. I didn't expect that at all. I dressed nicely & had no idea eating outside was going to ruin my clothes. Waitress' were friendly but forgot to bring our beer. It was very kid friendly which was cool. Overall it was generally an enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food and good ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Normally I get a burger or some generic thing like that but the Jambalaya really caught my eye, it was absolutely delicious, huge portions, I couldn't even finish the whole thing and I have a hearty appetite. I got two local beers while there, The hopmonk ale, and the Petaluma Porterluma. Both were on tap and excellent. My girlfriend got the grilled cheese, which i had a bite of, and it was incredible. But the true gem was the red velvet and cream cheese cake. Words can't even begin to describe how insanely good it was.Special Features:
- Brewpub FunjaneoDined on 2/7/2014Met some old friends to catch up and this was a good place to laugh and chat for hours with good beer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun NightgoldengirlDined on 1/25/2014Came to hear the music (Grace in the Woods) and stayed for dinner. The whole evening was super fun, good food and great music. Met some friends there- everyone had a wonderful time. I will definitely plan another group dinner/music outing at Hopmonk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service / food not right this timeKimmieVIPDined on 1/24/2014They served the worst corn chowder ever - I sent it back. The waitress asked me what else I wanted and they were out of their Zinfandel as well we Portobello Burger. On a Friday night? Then she charged me for the soup! Yikes - bad night at the usually good Hopmonk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a pre concert meal!SeanfanDined on 1/18/2014Made reservations online super easy. got a follow up call the same day to confirm. Had a great dinner and drinks then walked 100 feet to our concert. It was a great time went very smooth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hop Monk Tavern HOPSJohnsonDined on 1/4/2014This place is great! They seated us right away, and our server was there anytime we needed/wanted anything. They work like a well practiced team here, helping each other when its busy, even when its not their table. Refills were prompt. They have an amazing selection of beers on tap, and a good sized wine list. The food menu includes typical tavern food, and plenty of special offerings to keep you coming back to try a different item. The food was excellent! My husband ordered a BLT Catfish Sandwich, and I had a Flatbread Philly Cheesesteak. We both agree that the garlic fries were the BEST ever! All was very reasonably priced, we did not have to go broke to have dinner AND enjoy some live music & drinks afterwards, in the awesome Abbey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the musicOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/3/2014We went for the music which was in a different part of the tavern and it was great so I don't want to say the experience was bad. But it would have been much better if the food was at least good, even for pub grub.
- Casual & fun!dancerDined on 1/1/2014This is a fun place to spend a little time & share a meal with friends. I love their "happy hour" where you can get several tasty delights with a choice of several brews - very reasonably. The staff has always been friendly, efficient & willing to accommodate special requests. This gives them high marks in my book. Great casual dining experience & pet friendly if you sit in the beer garden!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the music - Avoid the Food!HoopleDined on 12/28/2013The soup was cold, they ran out of mashed potatoes at 7:15 on a Saturday, french fries were cold and the food in general was really bad. We went there to eat because we were going to a show there. The show was outstanding. My advice is to go for the music and avoid the food.
- Good for a beer, not the food...SherrySRCADined on 12/14/2013If you a beer enthusiast and want a rustic bohemian environment, good place to be. If you are looking for food that has good flavor, nice presentation and a reasonable portion, I do not recommend it. Service was poor.
- Nice balanceliberryinDined on 11/12/2013We enjoyed the ambience, the food was good, and my kids loved being able to dance on the "stage" out in the beer garden. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.