Hopmonk Tavern - Sonoma
Sonoma, CA 95476Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
Hopmonk Tavern - Sonoma
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hopmonk.com/
- Phone: 7079359100x
- Hours of Operation:
Open daily for lunch and dinner: Sunday thru Wednesday 11:30am - 9pm, Friday-Saturday 11:30am - 10pm. Bar: Sunday thru Thursday 11:30am-10:00pm, Friday-Saturday 11:30am - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian
- Executive Chef: Billy Reid
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our beer garden is a beautiful place to host your group event. It can hold up to 125 people sitting and up to 200 cocktail style. We also have several rooms inside the restaurant depending on your needs.
- Private Party Contact: Kim Summers 7079759810x
- Entertainment: Free music on the Tavern Stage 8:30-10:30pm Friday & Saturday; Open Mic Wednesdays 8pm; Also in the Beer Garden Fridays 5-7pm, and Saturday & Sunday 1-3pm April-October + occasionally outdoors when weather permits in the winter.
- Special Events: We offer private groups up to 150 guests in the Beer Garden. In the Tavern we have two options for private groups ~ Music room will accommodate up to 40 guests, seated or 60 cocktail style ~ Sun Room up to 22 guests seated or 35 cocktail style ~ There is also an option to use the room next to the sun room for a total of 60 seated guests. For more information, contact Kim Schubert at 707-975-9810 or email@example.com.
A word from Hopmonk Tavern - Sonoma
An 1888 Farmhouse with a 2010 renovation including a rustic tavern, outdoor dining deck, and expansive beer garden. We love being a Beer Place in the Wine Country. Come to HopMonk for fresh seasonal draft beer, tasty meals, local wines, rustic tavern atmosphere, a beautiful deck and beer garden, fine live music. Beer is fun; we know you'll enjoy our relaxed and informed service. We love large groups and accommodate them on a daily basis. You can expect to find creative live music; solo, combo and trio on a regular basis this winter. In the spring we'll host daytime headliner music every weekend from the Beer Garden. Beer dinners hosted by owner Dean Biersch (Gordon Biersch co-founder) are a monthly feature.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Hopmonk Tavern - Sonoma - Best Restaurants in Sonoma ›
Hopmonk Tavern - Sonoma reviews from OpenTable diners
66 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (58)great for lunch (29)neighborhood gem (27)good for groups (26)vibrant bar scene (22)kid-friendly (20)hot spot (18)fit for foodies (10)late-night find (5)special occasion (4)great for brunch (2)notable wine list (2)scenic view (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Cool AtmosphereMalbramDined on 10/11/2014Went with a group of 7 and sat outside. The atmosphere was really cool, beer list was big and food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ZmanZmanDined on 10/8/2014While in Sonoma, we happened to hear about this place while doing some wine tasting nearby. If you need a break from wine, this restaurant has an extensive list of craft beer to quench your thirst. Friendly atmosphere, good beer and good food. I'll recommend this place anytime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/7/2014Happy Hour Dishes were delectable! I had a Beef Slider that I would order again in a second!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome beer selection!!hogieVIPDined on 9/20/2014Love the outdoor firepit! We return everytime we visit wine country!!Special Features:
- Great shady patioincrediblejDined on 9/11/2014I live in Sonoma and I go to Hopmonk quite a lot, especially in the summer. The patio is idyllic and the food is always great. Though it's technically a tavern, the food goes beyond bar food and even with my gluten free, dairy free nutrition plan I can always find something on the menu that is perfect. They have the best quinoa salad ever, made with oranges and green olives. Yum, I want some now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okayOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/31/2014We went here specifically to find a beer on tap that some of the guys wanted to try but of course they were out of it. We dined anyway since we already had the plan. We had to be seated inside versus outside which at the time I didn't think was all big of a deal but it turned out to be stuffy and a bit uncomfortable. Waitress seated us, took our drink and appetizer order and then disappeared. We had to flag someone down to get her to return to take our order. All in all the food was okay but nothing to jump up and down about. Would I return? Probably not. There are too many other great dining options in the area to make this a repeat adventure.
- good outdoor lunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/30/2014As a bonus they've got music on the weekends as well.Special Features:
- Noisy bar sceneKD70VIPDined on 8/29/2014If you want energeti/noisy where you can't have a conversation, this is it. You know, the guys on their 4th of power drinking talking loud; plenty of them. Nice place, really good food...maybe it was an off night for thenSpecial Features:
- Beer Lovers ParadiseSonomaDinnerDined on 8/29/2014We were up in Sonoma to go to a concert. Hopmonk had great food and one of the largest selections of draft and bottled beer we have seen. We ate outside and watched the sun go down on a beautiful evening.Special Features:
- Noisy at lunchStarlightDined on 8/19/2014I would not recommend Hopmonk for a business lunch. It was far too noisy.Special Features:
- Great Outdoor Relaxed DiningyumspiderDined on 8/15/2014This restaurant has a lovely, large, outdoor dining space. In addition to several dining spaces, there was a mellow folk band, fire pit areas and even space for a private wedding party. There were several patrons with dogs and the wait staff brought water for all pooches. The food was delicious and eclectic, from sausages with mashed potaoes, to jambalaya, to fresh and hearty salads and upscale bar food. I would go back to Hopmonk again and recommend it highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Place tomdevineDined on 8/15/2014Very tasty food and fun outdoor dining! I'm not a beer drinking but the selection looked really good!Special Features:
- ReconnectingDLAJDined on 8/13/2014A great evening with a young friend, the meal was very good and the wait staff could not have been better. We enjoyed a long visit with a couple good beers and a lot of uninterrupted conversation. Planning to do the same next year when visiting Sonoma. Four pack of tacos is great!Special Features:
- Fabulous outdoor patiosonomadinerDined on 8/9/2014The ambiance outside was wonderful, not too loud perfectly shady and gorgeous. It was our first visit to Hopmonk and will be sure to return again. We thought it was great they allowed dogs out on the patio. The food was delicious and food portions were big but not overwhelmingly big. Highly recommend the garlic fries and salmon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceServiceDined on 8/8/2014We were there for awhile ordering small plates. Our waiter disappeared for long periods of time between courses. He was very nice, but that was very frustrating.Special Features:
- Beer in Wine TerritoryEatandrunDined on 8/7/2014Food and service were about what is expected from a neighborhood bar. No disappointments. Good to have a beer place as an alternative to all the wine in Sonoma.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool music spot under the treesdancingal1849Dined on 7/29/2014yummy salad plus the fish and chips were fresh and tastySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spot!!AnneCDined on 7/26/2014Great place for your Beer lovers in the Sonoma area! The outside patio is so great! Great food, definitely go!Special Features:
- Home Away From HomeBendRandPDined on 7/22/2014As residents of Bend, OR, known for many great brew-pubs, we were very pleased to find HopMonks. You provided everything we were hoping for. A great atmosphere, casual outdoor dining area, affordable tasty food, attentive and considerate service and a good selection of beer & wine. When looking for a good dining location while traveling, we always try to find out where the locals go. HopMonks is that place.Special Features:
- We'd go againAlexVIPDined on 7/6/2014Good casual food, reasonably priced. We went on a Sunday afternoon. There was live music on the patio that really added a lot to the experience. Our friends said the roasted beet salad was great. The french dip was also good and the taco four-pack was good, though the fish taco was better than the other (pulled pork?) We'll definitely go again.Special Features:
- CASUAL COMFORT FOOD IN SONOMA . . .FoodiesGaloreVIPDined on 7/6/2014A low key Tavern / Pub in Sonoma . . . The service was great and the food decent (for what it is). Pulled Pork Sliders = 2 on a plate with house made Hopmonk BBQ sauce over house roasted pork on a grilled roll ($9). The Grilled Cheese + Ham = 4 cheeses including gruyere, yellow cheddar, white cheddar and parmesan crusted sourdough bread, ham & dijonaisse, served with tomato soup or fries ($11.50). A fun place to meet friends for a drink (full bar) and a casual bite to eat.Special Features:
- Good food but keep dropping itemsSonomalocalVIPDined on 7/3/2014Last night we ate at Hopmonk, Sonoma and had a really good meal and great beer. It was a warm evening so we sat outside. That's the place to be in the summer. The service was timely and friendly and what we ended up ordering was great (pulled pork sandwich and french dip sliders). Our only complaint is that this restaurant continues to drop popular items from its menu. First they dropped the lamb lollipops from the appetizer list. Then they dropped the three different slider plate and last night we found out that they've dropped the Reuben sandwich. The reuben was the best in the Sonoma Valley. If they keep dropping the good stuff, pretty soon we are going to go elsewhere.Special Features:
- Great Brews and Pub FoodsecretdinerDined on 7/1/2014A great neighborhood place to hang out...kid and dog friendly in the outside beer garden. The happy hour is a smashing deal from 3-6PM M-TH. $3.75 draught beers and small plates from $3.00. Try the pulled pork sliders and Korean Tacos... Inside is a great bar with numerous big screen TV's..perfect for taking in a Giants game.Special Features:
- Poorjc123VIPDined on 6/30/2014We sat inside and there were flies everywhere. My husband had to keep swatting them on the window. My salad came brown and whomever prepared it threw the core in there as well. The shrimp and dressing were good though. Others ordered burgers and pull pork sandwich and said it was good. But the lettuce in my salad was disgusting. Our server was nice and attentive which was a positive. Walking into the restaurant from our car, we could smell the dumpsters.
- Ignored for three hoursOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/29/2014Had reservations at 12:45, arrived at 12:40, sat outside, received water, after 15 min of nobody taking our order, went inside to get our own drinks, handed the menus to the hostess, let her know our table #, said she would send a manager over, never spoke to anyone! not even the manager! Three other Had reservations at 12:45, arrived at 12:40, sat outside, received water, after 15 min of nobody taking our order, went inside to get our own drinks, handed the menus to the hostess, let her know our table #, said she would send a manager over, never spoke to anyone! not even the manager! Sat there from 1-3:00 with not one person checking on us!. After this horrible experience, not sure I'll want to make that drive.Special Features:
- HopmonkCamBamVIPDined on 6/28/2014Great patio with fun picnic benches and tables! Food is pretty tasty, and service is very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 211 reviews are from the Hopmonk Tavern - Sonoma reviews archive.
- Really enjoyed the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/23/2014This was our first visit to Hopmonk Tavern and we met with my cousin who suggested it. The food was just amazing. All 3 of us cleared our dishes and each just really enjoyed our selections which were The fish and chips, Jambalaya and the Salmon dish. We just did not get great service. Once we were served our meals, our server never came back to check in on us or refielf our drinks etc. Had to grab one of the many guys that were running around out there but just no one looking to see if anyone needed anything.Special Features:
- SonomaGirlDined on 6/15/2014Great outdoor dining. Amazing food and service. We were given the best table on the deck. Fun people & pooch watching!Special Features:
- BummerzueslessDined on 6/14/2014I had booked this restaurant as a early birthday dinner for my husband because of he great online reviews. We were seated right away, but instead of asking us inside or out- we were ushered to the back room where large tables are apparently sat. (It was just the two of us). We had been hoping for more of a bar feel, but were put literally in a corner where there was absolutely no one around us. It was near where the wait staff did their side work. It was a busy weekend evening, but there were plenty of open tables in the restaurant. Our waitress was attentive, and the appetizers arrived quickly. But, there was an overall lack of flavor and we didn't even bother ordering dinner. It was, unfortunately, a let down experience.
- The Food is tired.Kinglilly2Dined on 6/12/2014We have been going to the Sonoma Hop Monk one ever since it opened. Our last visit was two days ago and we were very disappointed. Overall we found found the food to be just "ok". We ordered an appetizer of calamari and when it arrived we found it to be approximately fifty percent deep fried lemons, limes and onions. We complained to our server who promptly replaced the calamari with another serving which turned out to be just the same. I do not think we will be going back to the Sonoma Hop monk for a long time and if we do we will not order Calamari.
- Great outside gardenOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/12/2014Casual, friendly, fun. Good spot to gather with friends.Special Features:
- love2eatDined on 6/9/2014We look for good food that is in a dog friendly environment. You don't always get both. We were very pleased with the overall experience, waitress and beer were outstanding! Food was good not amazing. Catfish BLT was good but the catfish crust wasn't crunchy and catfish wasn't very flavorful. The "beet" salad was a spring mix salad nicely presented with pecans and goat cheese and small bits of cubed not very flavorful beets. Not enough beets to warrant the title. The quinoa side salad with grapes, red onion and cilantro was delicious and a hefty amount, a very good value. We would definitely do it again if and when we are in town. Dog was very happy.Special Features:
- GREAT HANGOUTKrootDined on 6/6/2014OUTSIDE PATIO IS HUGE LOTS OF SEATING GREAT ATMOSPHERE. INSIDE WAS NICE, BUT PACKED. LIVE MUSIC WAS EXCELLENT. DINNER & SERVICE GOOD. THERE WAS A GAME ON TV & PEOPLE WERE HOWLING. MUSIC WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER OUTSIDEI would recommend this to a friend.
- SonomaDinerDined on 6/6/2014Wasn't too busy, but after we ordered our server disappeared until it was time for the check. Had to ask another server for a refill on the iced tea.Special Features:
- For beer loversHardtoplsDined on 6/3/2014A vast selection from all the world, excellent small plates and good food / service on a deck/ patio that is not particularly attractive / lacks character but preferable to the sports bar ambiance indoors and just fine for the very fair prices and the enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- AmazingSenatorSquirrelVIPDined on 5/26/2014Amazing place to refuel between wine tastings! The burger was fantastic and the the sweet tater fries were on point! Mario, the server, was one if the best ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great ambienceserenasm3Dined on 5/25/2014loved the food and the outdoor seating! juan our server was awesome!Special Features:
- Great happy hour menulovesonomaDined on 5/15/2014Great offering of fresh flavorful bites on the happy hour menu. Really large portions for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner in sonomaOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/13/2014Unseasonably warm and short staffed, Zebi, our waiter, was great. Husband had fish n chips, I had mussels... They were fantastic!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our local favoritejustwhatIlikeDined on 5/9/2014A great local pub. We love coming for lunch or on a summer evening and sitting outside. Food is above the average pub grub but mostly an accompaniment to the great beers. Love the calamari and the grilled ham and cheese sandwich. Kids love the root beer floats. It's even dog friendly! Can be noisy inside but we usually stay outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.