Hopmonk Tavern - Novato
224 Vintage Way
Novato, CA 94945Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Hopmonk Tavern - Novato
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hopmonk.com/
- Phone: 4158926200x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily 11:30am-4:00pm
Dinner: Su-Th 4:00pm-9:00pm
Dinner: Fr-Sa 4:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Billy Reid
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Free music from the beer garden stage (May 1st to Oktober 15th) Friday"s 5-8 pm, Saturday + Sunday 1-4pm and 5-8pm. Live music most nights from the "Session Room", our dedicated 200 capacity venue with full service bar. Please check our website or download our mobile app for shows and times.
A word from Hopmonk Tavern - Novato
If you’ve been to our first two Taverns you’ll expect another original interpretation, this time in Northern Marin County, of the things we love. That’s serving fresh, in-season craft beers alongside our Tavern classics, Kellerbier, Tavern Ale, IPA, and Dunkelweizen. Preparing in our new exhibition kitchen tasty Tavern fare, this time adding wood fired pizza. We bring the outdoors in by connecting the tavern to our beautiful beergarden under five California old growth oaks. Our Novato Tavern can comfortably entertain groups large and small in our music venue.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Hopmonk Tavern - Novato - Best Restaurants in Novato ›
Hopmonk Tavern - Novato reviews from OpenTable diners
32 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (21)good for groups (13)great for lunch (12)kid-friendly (11)neighborhood gem (9)vibrant bar scene (8)fit for foodies (7)hot spot (5)great for brunch (4)late-night find (4)special occasion (2)romantic (1)Show More
- Excellent Brew PubMattVDined on 8/17/2014Great beer selection, nice outdoor dining, and much better than average pub food.Special Features:
- Noisy bar/noisy family restaurant.jujuBDined on 8/15/2014The food was just okay. The chicken entree was pretty dry and bland. The fried calamari appetizer was tender, but not enough dipping sauce. It was very loud, which makes conversation impossible. The cocktails were pretty good.Special Features:
- 2nd Visit and probably the lastjohnchrisDined on 8/13/2014My family and I had high hopes that the Hopmonk would come through for us on our second visit. Unfortunately, they did not deliver on the food quality we had hoped for. First visit: burger was undercooked (requested medium — received rare). It was about as plain as could be. No seasoning. Second visit: Fish and chips were soggy and tasteless. Accompanying cole slaw looked "unedible". My daughter described her bowl of Quinoa as tasteless. Upsides: Garlic fries, the four taco tray was good.
- Worsening foodDocBrockVIPDined on 8/10/2014We have eaten a few times at both the Sonoma and Novato locations. We were very disapointed in the food this time. Main courses were bland, fries were cold, beer was good. If you just want a beer, it's great. Just don't buy the food.
- Good not greatMollyMacVIPDined on 8/6/2014I had the mussels and fries, the serving of mussels AND fries was a bit skimpy and I was hoping for great fries reminiscent of what I had in Brussels. The mussels were good. My husband had the chicken Philly on nan and it was really bland so he was disappointed and we also had the Margherita pizza it was ok. We are not bear drinkers so I can't comment on that.Special Features:
- Great choice of beerJodyGDined on 8/3/2014They had a little trouble getting the order right, but it was slow when we were there, and sometimes that's when servers make the most mistakes. I'd definitely give them another try if only for the fact that there's something like 17 beers on tap and 80 or so in bottles.Special Features:
- a great place to meet friendsJulesDined on 8/2/2014Hopmonk never fails- good service, excellent food, generous drinks- and live music on a regular basis. Perfect lcoal spot for a date or to meet friends. Make a reservation- its typically busySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time Eating at Hopmonk.gotogalVIPDined on 7/26/2014We ate at Hopmonk Tavern on Saturday July 26th at noon. Out of the five of us, four of us had not eaten there before. Sara M. was our waitress, and she was very friendly and professional. I had the Portobello sandwich, yet I asked for it on Naan bread that was used for the Chicken Philly sandwich. My girlfriend asked that the Chicken Philly be served on the bun that my sandwich would come on. Sara happily said yes, and she said I could even just replace and chicken and have a Portobello Philly sandwich, which I did. It was wonderful! The mushroom and other vegetables very tasty and not overcooked. The sweet potato fires were also good. We will be coming back, and dining outside in the patio. It was just way to hot our first time there.Special Features:
- It's an Okay placeSkizzlefritzDined on 7/25/2014It's fine for lunch and has a size able menu of choices. I had their Tavern salad, adding shrimp. It was pretty good, but nothing special. My friend's sliders were also just pretty good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinerVIPDined on 6/13/2014Great sitting outside and listening to music. Artichokes terrific. Hefe on tap terrific. Huge, tasty salad (Greek?). pizza soggy and the tomato sauce looked/tasted like straight out of can.
- fun timetikidadDined on 5/31/2014we enjoyed this place. Saturday night,music in the beer garden,happy staff. We eat Paleo these days, and the menu tends to be bread and fried oriented….but we found stuff to eat and it was fun. Seemed to be kid friendly.Special Features:
- EnjoyableDzdreamDined on 5/27/2014Really enjoyed the patio area, very relaxing! Service was awesome, food was really good and there was NOT a Corkage fee!Special Features:
- Great selection of beersItervetVIPDined on 5/19/2014I continue to go here when I get tired of regular pub food fare I get at the other 2-3 biggies in Marin. Tahini kale salad is great. Burger w sweet potato fries is more than I can finish so it shares well. Samosas have been good sometimes and overcooked at others, but the sauce is always great.Special Features:
- ChillycraftyoneVIPDined on 5/18/2014Seated in a nice booth in the front of the restaurant. But there was a lot of traffic in and out to the patio. Every time the door opened we got cold.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 104 reviews are from the Hopmonk Tavern - Novato reviews archive.
- entire experiencetig11tigDined on 5/2/2014The staff were very pleasant and accommodating. We were seated at a very nice and comfortable booth with direct access to three televisions for viewing. The waitress was very friendly and quick with our order. We didn't know how long it took to get our food because we were busy talking, watching a television program, and looking at the other patrons. The restaurant was crowded but it wasn't noisy. The bathroom was clean and you didn't have to wait in line. We stayed to listen to the music in the session room which was not very big and if you wanted a seat, you have to get there early. The music was not so loud that you couldn't hear for awhile afterwards. All in all, the entire experience was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not So Great This TimeJoelDined on 5/1/2014Usually give Hopmonk Tavern in Novato a much higher rating but was disappointed in the quality of my salad this time around. Granted, it was a hot day and we were sitting outside but as soon as the salad was placed before me, l noticed a few brownish pieces of lettuce on top. I kind of dug around in the plate with my fork and ate what looked fresh but there was more brownish lettuce underneath. Simply put, the lettuce was not fresh and it was starting to turn bad. I didn't want to complain or send it back because our host was seated next to me and Hopmonk is one of his favorite restaurants also...so I just ate what I could and left the rest over. I'm not writing Hopmonk off but this time around it was a disappointment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a Night Sceen GuyJimmyJohnDined on 4/28/2014We like to do lunch at Hopmonk. People are really friendly and the food is OK. We are in our 70's so the night sceene is not our cup of tea; however, we do like the lunch sceen and hop that Hopmonk can continue do do both.Special Features:
- something for everyonealiaDined on 4/19/2014Hopmonk has good consistent food and enough variety to please everyone in the group. A huge beer selection for those who love beer. Their wine list leaves a lot to be desired though. The burgers and sliders are great. They have great salads too. French fries and sweet potato fries are good though I would prefer them thinner and crispier. I definitely would go back. Its a fun place to hear music and bring your kids and just hang out with friends.Special Features:
- Great BirthdaykbeltzDined on 4/6/2014This is my favorite restaurant in Marin! We came here for dinner on a Sunday night. Great food, great service. I learned though that Sunday afternoon is very busy so some of the food options weren't available for our dinner. I'll remember that for next time. Killer chocolate cake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Brew PubDocBrockVIPDined on 3/16/2014We have had a number of meals both here and in Sonoma. Food is very good pub food and the beer is terrific. Very reasonably priced. We'll eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The first thing for us wasFrequentdinerDined on 2/21/2014The first thing for us was that the staff was very accommodating. We arrived about fifteen minutes early for our reservation, and even though the restaurant was quite busy, it was not a problem for the hostess. Our server was also very helpful, and made good recommendations for drinks and portion sizes. In other words, she did not try to "oversell" us with too much food. The food was very good, delivered promptly, and hot. Prices are really quite good. Overall it was very nice and we would not hesitate to return.Special Features:
- Service SpottyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/1/2014Food was tasty but the service was hit and miss, both in the bar and when we were seated.Special Features:
- KorvetOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/1/2014Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves, & the food, service, and ambiance were all pleasing. Miracle Mule band was really great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great, service not so muchBassetloversDined on 1/24/2014We had a party of 7, & it took over 20 minutes for someone to even get our drink order. Only after waiving down a waiter from another section. Then another 25 minutes for the drinks to arrive & only a passing glance from our server. Since this place has another room for live bands, which we had tickets to see, we were on a schedule. We told this to our server when she finally arrived. She said she understood and could get us there on time. She did manage that, but she never checked on us, and others brought our food. We would have purchased more drinks and other things, but due to the slow nature of the service. We could not. The food was tasty, well prepared and hot. The kitchen had their act together for sure. Front of house was a mess.Special Features:
- Great lunch spotHappydiners2Dined on 12/27/2013Great choices for lunch and friendly waitresses. Calamari was crisp and tasty and pulled pork slider was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grilled ham & cheese - YES!nWAfoodieVIPDined on 12/27/2013I have only had lunch here - but was completely satisifed. THe half grilled cheese and ham with tomatoe soup is addictive. I could eat a loaf of the cheesy sourdough bread that makes the sandwich. Fabulous on a cold winter day!Special Features:
- good bar food+ , good cocktails1bartenderVIPDined on 12/21/2013good bar food+ , good cocktails and beer list. good music venue although if you have dinner there you do not get a discount on the show or reserved seatsI would recommend this to a friend.
- The service was great butOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/17/2013Service was great but they were out of dough for the pizzas and out the the chicken I wanted to order. That was disappointing. The server did her best considering but unfortunately she didn't know they were out until after I ordered on both counts so there was a miscommunication between the servers and the kitchen.
- Great Experience!familyDined on 12/16/2013Our waitress was perfect! She offered to take our group picture, juggling 3 cameras, got a great photo angle of the 8 of us. She was right there for little things:, more water, more time, removing plates, extra dessert spoons for group sharing, and was just charming all the while. I want the recipe for the pumpkin soup. It was one of the best pumpkin soups I've eaten! I also had the kale/Tahini salad and it was absolutely delicious. I heard several raves about the cole slaw too. The flourless chocolate cake was a little dry..I've had better. The mini-pumpkin pies had too much clove spice for my taste. I would recommend this restaurant to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uncomfortable seatingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/6/2013Did not like the high bar stool type seats at the table. We were a group of 8 senior women and the chairs are not comfortable but there did not appear to be any other appropriate place to sit. Had made a reservation several weeks ahead so they knew the size of the group. If there is a next time will specify normal seating.Special Features:
- Good beer, great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/1/2013Our party of eight was well taken care of. We are not an easy bunch to feed, but our waitress rose to the occasion, handling our allergy-free, gluten-free, vegan, and healthy food requests. Everything was delicious, and the portions were just right. I can recommend the Hop Monk IPA, and others in the party can recommend the pear cider, and the dunkels. Wine drinkers were not disappointed either. -SSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great beer & foodLonghammerDined on 11/14/2013Really good spot for beer and food - not your average brew pub fare, very tasty. Great for groups, the service is always great and accommodating when my coworkers go for a big work lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is good - recommend theNancDined on 11/9/2013Food is good - recommend the Fish and Chips - the best of the best! Lots of variety with cocktails - way too many beers - but can there ever be too many beers. Would love to see a Budweiser on the menu - just for those of us who prefer a soft domestic beer! Have enjoyed the wait service every time we have been there - well trained and friendly - knowledgeable also. Now we just need to see banana cream pie for dessert - and pumpkin pie for the holiday season! Loved simply booking our reservation on-line - so easy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/30/2013Hopmonk wasn't as noisy as other pub-type places (even with the baseball game on), so it was possible to have conversations with the others in my party. We had a sizable group, so I made a reservation (via Open Table) even though it was a weeknight. Menu is pub food. Pretty good but not for foodies. I made the mistake of ordering the salmon, which although cooked just right, had a fishy taste. One inconvenience -- we were at a counter-height table. Several in our group -- all women -- were too short to move our chairs in close enough to the table. If this could be a problem for you, ask for a booth.Special Features:
- Great staff and good foodcattDined on 10/26/2013We were there to see Dread Zepplin so we booked a table for before the show. Had never been here before. Loved the food. Good wine list. All the staff were dressed up for Halloween and that was fun! My friend is vegetarian and he found several small plates , soups and salads he could eat. The intimate concert room for Dread Zeplin was perfect. I dont like big crowds so it was perfect. I would come back again.Special Features:
- We came from Ukiah for theTommieTDined on 10/19/2013We came from Ukiah for the music "James McMurtry" and enjoyed it very much. Our entire dining and entertainment experience was great and we will look forward to doing it again.Special Features:
- Went to enjoy open Mic night.Rob2013Dined on 10/9/2013Music was good and entertaining. Would have liked to eat in where the music was but there wasn't enough seating. The pulled pork sandwich was bland and the sweet potatoes fries were cold. How ever when I reported the fries were cold , they brought a new plate of hot fries. No one explained or offered the drink menu when we came in. We made reservations and were seated quickly. Wait staff was pleasant. Fish and chips, good, soup was bland.Special Features:
- Pretty pedestrianOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 10/1/2013I want to love Hopmonk Novato but I can't. The meat and cheese plate is a good example. Meat tasted like it was out of a package, flavorless cheeses, and the cup of low quality blue cheese was just hokey. Grilled artichoke was COLD in the middle. Three different beers were all about a C+. Kale salad was tasty. Service was spotty. Sad.
- Sunday lunchDonnaDined on 9/22/2013The staff friendly and accomodating. The food was typical bar fare and not top notch. The calamari had very few full flavorful pieces. Lots of fried little pieces of unidentifiable things. The cheese and ham and cheese sandwiches were very greasy. The tomato soup was strange. The sweet potato fries were shrunken up and limp. The dipping sauces were tasty. The pork sliders were average. I might return but try other items.Special Features:
- Great food & live music!MtnViewTravellerDined on 9/21/2013Thoroughly enjoyed my first time visit to Novato. Terrific food, great service, comfortable atmosphere. The waitress suggested that we taste various beers before ordering one, which we appreciated. Afterward went to hear The Linda Imperial Band until midnight -- fabulous!! Really enjoyed the entire evening. It was easy too. It's right off Hwy 101, plenty of parking, get there and stay for 6 hours. Awesome!Special Features: