Hooded Merganser at Penticton Lakeside Resort
21 Lakeshore Drive West
Penticton, BC V2A 7M5Neighborhood:
Penticton / Naramata
Contemporary AmericanPrice: CAN$30 and under
Hooded Merganser at Penticton Lakeside Resort
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hoodedmerganser.ca/
- Phone: 250-487-4663x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Sunday - Saturday: 7:00am - 11:30am; Lunch: Sunday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chris Remington
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Hooded Merganser at Penticton Lakeside Resort
The Hooded Merganser was designed to provide guests with a lakeside experience like no other. Vaulted ceilings and floor to ceiling windows have made us the place to be during storm watching season. The outdoor patio is incredible during the warmer months. The menu features delicious contemporary cuisine cooked to perfection in the open kitchen. Enjoy the superb selection of hard-to-find Okanagan wines from our cellars. Tie up your boat at the marina and come in for a truly enjoyable time.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Hooded Merganser at Penticton Lakeside Resort - Best Restaurants in Penticton / Naramata ›
Hooded Merganser at Penticton Lakeside Resort reviews from OpenTable diners
84 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (78)great for outdoor dining (49)special occasion (41)romantic (37)good for groups (22)great for lunch (21)notable wine list (20)fit for foodies (17)great for brunch (16)neighborhood gem (13)late-night find (9)hot spot (9)kid-friendly (6)vibrant bar scene (4)Show More
- Amazing2peopleinloveDined on 10/21/2014Me and my husband where looking for a place in Penticton to have a nice steak dinner.Didn't know where to go so we decided to try this place and glad we did!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodrossiDined on 10/17/2014Had kalamari to start. One of best I have ever had. Also had spicy shrimp. Very good as well. Only problem we ate it all so had tough time getting through mains. My wife had her favorite. Filet with peppercorn and I had the ahi. They and the veggies were superb. Only downside was the service was not on a par with the food. Needed to ask for info and was not attentive. First time service was not great so server may have just been having a bad night.wine made it all good as well. Great wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PWRMANDined on 10/6/2014Excellent place to eat. I recommend this place to my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as AlwaysJanabellDined on 10/3/2014Very nice meal with excellent service. Liked the booking process, very easy. Always a pleasure to eat at the Hooded Merganser.Special Features:
- Great foodHughDined on 9/27/2014We have found the vegan choices in your menu to be exceptional and the madras curry was fantastic The service was very good to average in our two visitsSpecial Features:
- redhead2491Dined on 9/27/2014Beautiful restaurant right on the waterfront. My boyfriend and I live in Kelowna and we have made the trek over to Penticton a number of times just to visit this restaurant. We love it here. The food is always great, the service is always quick and the view is stunning (especially if you sit on the patio!). Everything is reasonably priced and there is something on the menu for everyone. If you are spending any length of time in Penticton I would highly recommend you stop at the Hooded Merganser.Special Features:
- Nice setting but not the foodLetdownDined on 9/26/2014The setting down by the water was nice. The dining area was nicely set-up. The server was friendly and responsive. However it doesn't seem like they want to put as much attention into their food. The menu was not very original. The meat was overcooked and dry. Veggies overcooked, soft and bland.Special Features:
- Great viewOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/17/2014Food is pretty good. Service was a little slow. Staff however was friendly. Restaurant is pretty noisy not the place for romanceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDined on 9/16/2014Excellent...glad we went back for the Masala....excellent with a good shiraz or MelbecSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Venue needs updatingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/10/2014Your restaurant has the most spectacular setting yet that seems to be the only positive. Your food is only just ok. The salad that I ordered at our last dining experience was missing several ingredients that were listed on the menu and very odd substitutions very made instead. Basically, your food cannot be counted on to be good at every visit. Not only is your food lacking in appeal but I noticed your restaurant carpet looks very shabby. I will take this opportunity to mention that the barking parrot bar requires a visit from "bar rescue" as it can only be described as a horror show suitable only for the desperate bar fly client.Special Features:
- ExcellentDisappointedDined on 9/6/2014The food and service was excellent as usual......a must stop each visit to Penticton. What a beautiful setting...bonus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank you!SunshineDined on 9/5/2014I live in Penticton and had some dear friends come to visit for the first time. I booked online with a special seating request and was so pleased that they were able to accommodate. It made our dinner very memorable with great food, great service, and a great view. My guests were very impressed with Penticton. Thank you for your assistance, I will certainly count on you in the future! 😊 LornaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was mediocre at bestOkanagandineDined on 9/1/2014My two daughters and I dined at the restaurant recently and were disappointed to say the least. At nearly $30 for each of our dinners, none of which would have us returning. The salmon dish ($26), was severely undercooked, dry fingerling potatoes and undercooked veggies. The halibut entree ($28) also had undercooked veggies and had no significant amount of flavour. The roasted chicken entree ($24), was the best of the three. However, the price and just lack of any inspired or exceptional dishes will not have us returning or recommending any one else to do so.Special Features:
- mediocre foodbettyDined on 8/31/2014The restaurant is beautiful with a magnificent view. The food was a bit of a disappointment. It was good enough but not spectacular in any way. Steamed vegetables?! After eating in a few of the nearby wineries, my friends and I felt that the hooded merganser was a bit of a let down. Not fit for foodies. We did however, have great service.Special Features:
- Great food; great serviceOliverRetireeDined on 8/28/2014We chose Hooded Merganser as the "special" dinner with friends from out of province. We and they loved the elevated seating with the view of the lake, the booth (semi-circle that allowed all four to view the scenery), and especially the attentive and charming server. The food was very good (we had three different dishes and two desserts between four of us) and the wine list of local wines was impressive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent serviceRestauranteatsVIPDined on 8/25/2014After booking our table through the open table app we found the restaurant right out back of the hotel. We were checked in immediately although we were fifteen minutes early which was nice. Our server took a minute to find us, but once she did everything was fantastic. I had the sous vede duck and the girlfriend had a chicken. The view from our booth of the lake was great! Thank you to Julia who made it a dinner worth remembering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good Dinner and viewLovebirdsDined on 8/23/2014We enjoyed pan seared halibut and Pad Thai. Both were very good our server Julia was very good with just the right amount of attention The view is fabulous especially on a sunny summer evening. The restaurant was steady but not hectic and our meal flowed perfectly. We would recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just So-soDinner42Dined on 8/22/2014On a recommendation from a server in Kelowna, had dinner out. While the location on the lake is fabulous, we were not overly impressed by the food. It was well prepared and presented but just lacked any real "zing". For the price thought we would have some wow factor.Special Features:
- mostly goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014disappointed in the calamari appie...a bit soggy not the normal crisp rounds. even asked for extra crispness. Made reservations but didn't have the best table....Had trouble getting parking [wearing high heels] close enough because of the challenge race event....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food and serviceDrach51Dined on 8/21/2014Food was well prepared. Service was kind, friendly and patient. Well executed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VandVDined on 8/20/2014Had a lovely dinner with friends we haven't seen in years. The food was tasty, the view was awesome and our server was super.Special Features:
- WaitingCoolBreezeDined on 8/16/2014Fabulous waitress Gabby managed to keep our party of 6 mostly happy while we waited an hour for our breakfast to be served. The restaurant was perhaps 2/3 full. Last time we were there was about 3 years ago. Just about everything was wrong that time but we finally decided to give it another try figuring things would have changed. This experience was much better but it's clear there's still something wrong in the kitchen. We'll try again in 2016.Special Features:
- Outdoor chairsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014We had a wonderful dinner on a summer evening. Usually we sit inside but it was so nice outside we sat on the patio. The only thing I could recommend is different chairs. We found the metal frames on the concrete noisy when people moved.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice restaurant but...BrowneyedgurlDined on 8/15/2014Nice restaurant. Food was good, but the food was presented sloppily. The sushimi came out looking like it had been cut with a butter knife - jagged and all different sizes. The fish tacos were overly seasoned with cumin and the mashed potatoes tasted like instant potatoes. Also, the waitresses were trashily dressed, bras hanging out and shoes with holes in them. I would expect much more from a classy establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Penticton LakeviewGordDined on 8/15/2014Had lunch with a group of friends. On the lakeshore. Spacious and bright with high windows overlooking Okanagan Lake. Food was okay, but nothing to rant about. Staff is friendly, but sadly not overly attentive as our meal progressed. Requested a dessert menu and received one. Waited 20 or so minutes for someone to take our order. Server eventually returned with our bill, forgetting we wanted dessert. Waited another 15-20 minutes for the dessert to arrive which was fairly good (Kale Brownie). Better off going to the Naramata Bench wineries for lunch, of which many are exceptional.Special Features:
- The HoodTandTDined on 8/6/2014Never disappointed. Food always good. Servers have been worth every penny in tips . View is Okanagan outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overcooked food, but good servicepassion4foodDined on 8/3/2014Sun Aug Long Wknd for Anniv. dinner. Spring rolls were flavourful. Entrees came out and right away I saw the Rack of lamb was Well done ( I ordered it rare). Duck was completely over cooked. Server, Lauren was awesome when we told her we weren't happy she immediately went back to cook and manager to see what could be done. Kitchen told her that it was "Rare", but they would recook it. I have worked in restaurants for over 10 years and I know what rare looks/ tastes like. We both switched to Halibut. The potatoes were a bit burnt and we found a random fry mixed in with the carrots. The manager did check on us which was appreciated. All in all a romantic evening due to location. I would never go back there, I can cook a better meal at home.Special Features:
- Amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/3/2014Had the salmon and I can easily say it was the best salmon I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view but that's itBlended1Dined on 8/2/2014Waitress cn answer questions about the meal special. Was a bit inexperienced & young. Most girls working the restaurant seemed very young. Not so much a mature atmosphere. Food was ok. A bit over priced for return. Not a huge menu. Other than that- beautiful view, sat right on the water. Guitar duet music was a nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/30/2014Loved it. Great food, beautiful patio overlooking lake. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Spoiled by Bad FoodFood4LifeDined on 7/27/2014There are far more expensive dining options around Penticton. This restaurant can certainly boast a beautiful room and patio with stunning sunset views of the lake. Service staff are fantastic- welcoming, friendly, prompt, helpful. The food is a disappointment. Poorly executed dishes that lack in inspiration, quality, and value. Surely we have moved beyond steamed carrots and broccoli served with steam table brown mashed potatoes and a poorly cooked greasy steak for nearly $30. One dreads to discover what some of the more ambitious sounding items on the menu would unleash. I hope we just caught an off-night and not another tourist trap scam using atmosphere to try and hide rip-off food. Wouldn't take much to make it fantastic!Special Features:
- low quality food preparationpgvisitorDined on 7/20/2014A rubbery feta cheese was served with a chicken salad that used soggy pieces of peppers and lettuce. Cold rice was served with the salmon dinner. Overall, very poor work in the kitchen and highly overpriced for the modest serving sizes. I won't be coming here again.
- WinerdinerDined on 7/19/2014Our table wasn't ready when we arrived, but within minutes the girls had us seated. All the servers that we experienced were friendly, polite and even took our picture for us :). The food was tasty and there was plenty. I ended up bringing half of my quinoa salad home and it was still great for lunch the next day. Everything seemed very fresh. We love eating outdoors and being on the water is the best. The view is amazing. We enjoy bringing guests to the Hooded Merganser. The whole experience is enjoyable.Special Features:
- Okanagan DreamRug1Dined on 7/19/2014We have just finished an extensive tour of Europe. We saw six countries with beautiful scenery in all of them but when you sit drinking a glass of wine overlooking the lake at the Hooded Merganser.....Nothing can beat it. Great food, Great service, Great experience!Special Features:
- Amazing ViewMarcMarlenaDined on 7/10/2014One of the dishes was great food... The other (pasta) was super bland. The view was incredible... We were there at sunset and couldn't have asked for a better patio experience. Very cool location. Great staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than a hotel restaurantAlphaDined on 7/8/2014The 'Hood' is more than a hotel restaurant. While a part of the Lakeside Resort, it is a destination restaurant in its own right. The menu is varied and prepared wwonderfully. Service is really outstanding with simply wonderful veteran and. Seasonal young people, well trained and personable. And the view is simpley outstanding. Always a pleasureable expeience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/4/2014This is the first time we have been to this restaurant and it was absolutely outstanding. The view was magnificent and the food was superb!! This is my new favourite restaurant each time I am in the Penticton area. We had the brie, roasted garlic appetizer and I could have licked the plate it was so incredibly yummy! The fish was perfectly done, the vegetables were crisp and perfect....everything was perfect!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow sevice quick billLove2eatDined on 7/4/2014Sevice slow at start like we where not there. Small portions for price not impressed. Time for check BANG it wa there like time to get out. Hate to say it but we will not returnSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/3/2014staff was great had a wonderful time ... food just as good... will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 248 reviews are from the Hooded Merganser at Penticton Lakeside Resort reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/29/2014The view is outstanding. The service was just right! The kale quinoa salad had way too much kale. Otherwise a very good night overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.