Honu Seafood and Pizza - Lahaina
1295 Front St.
Lahaina, HI 96761Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Honu Seafood and Pizza - Lahaina
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.honumaui.com/
- Phone: 8086679390x
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 3:00pm;
Dinner 4:30pm - 930pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Chef Mark Ellman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Honu Seafood and Pizza - Lahaina
Chef Mark and Judy Ellman have opened a seafood shack, right next door to Mala Ocean Tavern. Honu Seafood and Pizza also sits right on the rocks of the Pacific Ocean, with 50 beers, an organic and eclectic wine list, and an extensive scotch and rum selection. Mark and Judy have created an environment that soothes the savage beasts craving of oysters on the half shell, steamed clams and mussels, Crab Louis salad, a selection of Hawaiian seafood, as well as fish from the West and East Coasts of the US. Honu also features a 900 degree brick-oven turning out artisinal pizzas. Come to Honu, drink a local Micro-brewed beer ,eat some freshly shucked oysters on the half shell, and let your eyes and soul relax into the Pacific. Honu, like Mala, is run by Mark and Judy Ellman and their two daughters Ariana and Michelle. Remember, we always try and practice Aloha. Please come and practice with us.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Honu Seafood and Pizza - Lahaina - Best Restaurants in Lahaina ›
Honu Seafood and Pizza - Lahaina reviews from OpenTable diners
160 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (131)great for outdoor dining (94)fit for foodies (84)romantic (60)neighborhood gem (56)special occasion (51)kid-friendly (41)hot spot (35)great for lunch (32)notable wine list (26)good for groups (23)vibrant bar scene (20)late-night find (15)great for brunch (11)Show More
- Great Food and Service.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/29/2014Visited 2 nights and everything was perfect both nights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A find in LahainavrinrhDined on 9/28/2014This place is a definite find. The seared Ahi bruschetta definitely lived up to the reputation - it is to die for.Special Features:
- Amazing viewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/22/2014Great view, sweet seevice and awesome food. You'd better go this restaurant once if you'll stay at Lahaina area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food on our trip!Yogi205VIPDined on 9/21/2014We spent four days in the Lahaina area and ate at various highly recommended spots but this one beat them all. The opakapaka fish special was amazing and the tomato and mozzarella served with cherry wheat bread was the best I've eaten. Good selection of different options on the menu and right on the water for a nice sunset view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticRayandBarbDined on 9/20/2014This was our first visit to this restaurant. We loved it - great food, service & ambiance. Our server, Jackie, was awesome. Great gluten-free choices!Special Features:
- Fabulous dinner....great service!HTBmauiDined on 9/20/2014I've been to Honu multiple times since they opened and my experiences there keep getting better and better. We had a group of 8 with 2 small children and everyone loved their dinner (kids dinner quite expensive though at $14 for noodles!). Our server was fabulous but I can't remember her name! Ahi bruschetta still amazing....small gado gado is big enough to have as your dinner.Special Features:
- fun new placerlernVIPDined on 9/19/2014Another ocean side restaurant...this one we could almost touch the water. We had some good brick oven pizza that was a nice change from all the heavy meals. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BeautifultrioofgalsDined on 9/18/2014Honu was a perfect maui experience. Right on the water with a view of the sunset that was spectacular. The service was personal and friendly. The menu had extensive choice for vegan, gluten free and all out carnivore. I would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HonuNettyDined on 9/18/2014Recommended by a friend. We were disappointed in the lobster pizza and kale salad. Would not returnSpecial Features:
- HONU IS GETTING BETTEROpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/16/2014Thank goodnes for the valet - because the parking is brutal here. The pizza is better than most. The beers are high but the list is copius. We are frequent HONU flyers.Special Features:
- DootsieDined on 9/15/2014We celebrated my husband's birthday at Honu's as we did last year. We had a wonderful evening from the special drinks to the delicious food. Erika, our server, was outstanding! We look forward to dining at Honu's again.Special Features:
- Honu is WonderfulprofessorfionaVIPDined on 9/13/2014Especially if you must eat gluten free. So many unbelievable treats to try that you rarely see on a gluten free menu. Ahi tuna on flax great toast with edamame puree, tomatoes, etc. Luscious, fresh and fabulous. Tried both the gluten free and regular lobster and cheese pizza special. Another winner. They do craft cocktails very well. The view of Lanai and Molokai at sunset sets photographers into a frenzy. It's easy to park and just enough out of the the bustle of Lahaina's center to make it feel like a real find. Don't miss it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lamb riblets...and moreChildLibrDined on 9/13/2014The shrimp Louie salad was so great and the dressing was beyond description. It was that good! For dessert, we had the liliko'i cream brûlée, raspberry tart which was sweet with the tart raspberries and finished with Italian meringue. For an appetizer we shared the lamb riblets and I thought they were burnt and dry. The dipping sauce was excellent, not so much for the riblets.Special Features:
- Great Place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 9/12/2014Honu is definitely a gem here in Lahaina! The service was outstanding. Connie Green the server was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing mealUytx234Dined on 9/10/2014Terrible service. Ran out of food early in evening. Server's attitude was very bad.Special Features:
- GgigiDined on 9/8/2014The food was way over priced and they use paper napkins! ... but one is paying for the view.Special Features:
- Dining at the Shorelinepixel45Dined on 9/8/2014The menu was varied and the choices were creative and healthy. I had not been to this restaurant before, but wished I would have found it earlier in our vacation. Prices are moderate and food was creatively presented. This is far more than a bar or pizza joint. Will definitely be back when I return to Maui.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- View galore!BonbonDined on 9/6/2014The food was very good! A bit pricey. The service was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Honu Seafood and Pizza - LahainaGunsDined on 9/6/2014The service and the food was excellent. Good variety on the menu, from bar food to expensive entrees. Will definitely go there again. Only negative, the tip was added automatically to our bill - just me and my wife. It's fairly easy to not catch this as it isn't standard practice. So we could have easily over tipped if I didn't happen to notice this. Also, I thought the tip that was automatically added was overly generous. It was 20% I think. But again, this is a really good place and we will go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was okay, server was so-soSweetnsavoryVIPDined on 9/2/2014Last year my experience was better - the food seemed more memorable and the server was on point. This time around, not so much. Not sure if my taste buds changed or if the restaurant changed. Our server never told us the specials and the service was lackluster which isn't reflective in the price of their dishes. Overall it was okay...which was different than how I felt last year where I raved on and on about this place to family and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- everything was greatkevinSDDined on 9/2/2014Every part of our experience was great. Brought our kids food very quickly. The food and services were the best we had during our trip to Maui. Will definitely go back next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than MalaMauieveryyearDined on 9/1/2014Tried this sister restaurant of Mala. Same great food but much better atmosphere and much more room to move around.Special Features:
- HonuTomDoriDined on 9/1/2014We sat right on the edge of the water and enjoyed the food, view and the service. The grilled Spanish octopus was delicious as were the entrées. It was difficult to select an entre because so many looked so good. We came to Honu because we ate at Mala and thought it was a great find in Lahaina.Special Features:
- Awesome view and foodalkoiv24VIPDined on 8/31/2014Recommended by my dad and was very good. Restaurant is basically at the edge of the waves and is excellent for watching the sunset. Our server even knew the best lighting to take a photo and offered it to us which turned out to be the best photo of the trip. Food was also very good. Overall a great experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Great views of the sunset if you desire! Excellent food choices!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorites on Maui<3SunshineDined on 8/29/2014This is our second visit to Maui and Honu was one of the first reservations we made. We had such a wonderful time last time that we couldn't wait to return and we were not disappointed!Our server made all the suggestions and did not steer us wrong. She suggested we try their signature appetizer, which was tuna. We are not fans of raw fish but it was so delicious we could have eaten more!Their fish is caught daily and it is worth it to try fish here that you have never tried before. The staff is very knowledgeable of how the dishes are prepared and the taste of all the fish.We ended up making another reservation for our last night here!The view is fabulous and the sunsets are breathtaking!! We can't wait for a return visit to Maui and Honu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodCostaDined on 8/28/2014Good eats and unique menu. Location is great with outdoor seating right on the water. Not a far drive from many big hotels on Kaanapali and good local food - NOT a boring chain. Service was okay, but the food and atmosphere were fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014After doing a lot of research, we ate here our last night on Maui. The food was excellent, my Mai Tai had a nice kick to it, the service was perfect and we had an excellent spot near the water. ~ Perfect ~Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scenic, Warm & Eclectic - good eatsNotATourist2010VIPDined on 8/28/2014Really good food and as it is situated on the ocean, the view is amazing-turtles can be seen. It is casual, with knowledgeable & friendly wait staff. The food is inventive & really good. We had shrimp verde pizza, fish & chips (5*), ahi bruschetta, fried oysters, excellent Guava Pisco Sours, and an amazing turtle cheesecake (5*....large - you can share). There was 1 bartender which slowed drinks-we cancelled a 2nd cocktail as we would of finished food before arrival. Tables close together...plan on chatting with your neighbor:-). Recommend making a reservation; limited seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food, service, locationwdswongDined on 8/27/2014Excellent food and very good service -located just a little away from the crazinest and heavy traffic of Lahaina town yet still offering great views of the water. Prices are a bit on the high side but the food and service made it worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lahaina favoriteFrompdxVIPDined on 8/25/2014Discovered both Honu and sister restaurant, Mala, on past trip to Maui. Return here ever since for the great food. Good options for vegetarian diners. Service is always friendly, low key and attentive. Food is flavorful and creative. Local, fresh and consistent. Had an oceanside table this evening which was romantic and relaxing. Have recommended to family and friends, and will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Time2chowDined on 8/22/2014Beautiful location. Excellent brick oven pizza and oysters! Very pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over pricedSarahDined on 8/21/2014You pay for the Oceanside seating (if lucky enough to get a table) overpriced mediocre food, extremely noisy and cramped tables. Would not go back. The waitress was pleasant...Special Features:
- FoodcrazyVIPDined on 8/20/2014One if our favorite dining experiences in Maui. Beautiful setting ( like its sister Ma La). Everything we had was excellent, including sausage pizza, fresh mongchong, ahi bolognese. Will definitely return again.Special Features:
- One of the best meals on MauiDenverTravelerVIPDined on 8/17/2014Its sister restaurant, Mala, has long been one of our favorite Maui restaurants but we're hooked on Honu now. Although every table was filled, our server Suzanne never let us feel forgotten or ignored, her descriptions of the drinks and food were spot-on and she did it with a great sense of humor. Our food was served piping hot and it was delicious. Sorry for the short review, but just thinking about it has me wanting to make my next reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot during sunsetLove2eatoutVIPDined on 8/17/2014We were seated at a table to watch sunset. There were no fans in the restaurant and it was very hot. I was sweating during my meal. The food was good. If you like to watch sunsets I recommend another restaurant. Come here after the sunset when it's coolerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a stop!OpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 8/16/2014For something so casual as pizza, ended up being really tasty. We oredered the ahi sausage pizza, which sounded a little odd at first, but turned out to be wonderful, tender and not spicy. The fish and chips were wonderful - especially for someone who doesn't usually order fried food. Batter was light and crispy and fish soft and tender. The "chips" were a combination of potato and sweet potato fries - perfect balance. Service was wonderful and accommodating with 2 toddlers. Views were amazing, can't get any better than this. Can't wait to come back.Special Features:
- Excellent!!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/15/2014We loved this restaurant! The service and food were excellent. Went with my family on vacation - great for adults and kids.Special Features:
- Good meal, great view.BigDaddyMattDined on 8/14/2014We ate here second night on Maui. Kids had the pizza, which, though overpriced (as expected) was good and both enjoyed. I had the burger-$19 for a burger is ridiculous (yes, I know it was Kobe), but it was pretty darn good. My fine had the Ahi bruschetta appetizer, which she absolutely loved, and the romaine salad,which she also liked. Beautiful spot right on the water. Nice little by the glass wine list-reasonably priced.
- Never disappointsLuv2dineVIPDined on 8/11/2014Inventive, tasty dishes that keep us returning. The Ahi Bruschetta is FANTASTIC. Wait staff are knowledgeable, attentive, not pushy. Portion size is good, never feel hungry when I leave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.