Honu Seafood and Pizza - Lahaina
1295 Front St.
Lahaina, HI 96761Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Honu Seafood and Pizza - Lahaina
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.honumaui.com/
- Phone: (808) 667-9390
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 3:00pm;
Dinner 4:30pm - 930pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Chef Mark Ellman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Honu Seafood and Pizza - Lahaina
Chef Mark and Judy Ellman have opened a seafood shack, right next door to Mala Ocean Tavern. Honu Seafood and Pizza also sits right on the rocks of the Pacific Ocean, with 50 beers, an organic and eclectic wine list, and an extensive scotch and rum selection. Mark and Judy have created an environment that soothes the savage beasts craving of oysters on the half shell, steamed clams and mussels, Crab Louis salad, a selection of Hawaiian seafood, as well as fish from the West and East Coasts of the US. Honu also features a 900 degree brick-oven turning out artisinal pizzas. Come to Honu, drink a local Micro-brewed beer ,eat some freshly shucked oysters on the half shell, and let your eyes and soul relax into the Pacific. Honu, like Mala, is run by Mark and Judy Ellman and their two daughters Ariana and Michelle. Remember, we always try and practice Aloha. Please come and practice with us.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Honu Seafood and Pizza - Lahaina - Best Restaurants in Lahaina ›
Honu Seafood and Pizza - Lahaina reviews from OpenTable diners
179 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (147)great for outdoor dining (113)fit for foodies (98)neighborhood gem (69)romantic (64)special occasion (58)hot spot (51)kid-friendly (34)great for lunch (28)good for groups (27)vibrant bar scene (27)notable wine list (25)late-night find (8)great for brunch (7)Show More
- Great views, good foodKHinSeattleVIPDined on 11/23/2014We had a wonderful family dinner at Honu. We lucked out and got a wonderful table right on the water. There were plenty of turtles right in front of us! Additionally, the service was amazing - our waitress made some great recommendations and was always checking in. Additionally, she did not rush us through our dinner at all, even though we had a great table. The food was also delicious! Our two favorite appetizers were the burrata and ahi poke! We also had them lamb riblets but they were a bit smaller. Other items from the evening we enjoyed were joes special, and the butternut cream coconut milk soup. I would definitely put this place on your list of places to eat in Maui. Oh and the valet parking was complimentary!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food by the ocean808JimVIPDined on 11/22/2014Go for lunch or go early to enjoy the ocean view. Good food. Great view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All Around Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014We had dinner here on our first night in Maui. Couldn't have been better! Sat at one of the ocean-side tables with a sea turtle sunning itself about 10 feet away on the rocks. The Ahi Bruschetta is an entree-worthy starter. So good we started with a half order and immediately ordered another to split along with the steak for dinner. Watched the sun set over dessert - cheesecake. Everything was so good, we picked up their cook book before leaving. The staff is friendly, helpful and attentive. Gerry knows her food and gave us great recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulKathleenDined on 11/21/2014We are very grateful that a local friend recommended Honu. We had driven past and not thought about stopping. We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner and had excellent service. Would definitely recommend to friends and would return should we be fortunate enough to return to Maui.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/19/2014Open air, Oceanside dining. Gluten free pizza amazing! Service friendly and professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun lively and good foodNVdinerVIPDined on 11/16/2014I had the fresh fish special and it was delicious. My husband had the crab mac and cheese and found it good but not as good as some. Ight was definately a fun spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bill BBillBVIPDined on 11/16/2014If you're fortunate enough to be seated overlooking the ocean, you will be rewarded with one of the best dining spots you will encounter anywhere. And the food is good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive, but great food.Cantata51Dined on 11/14/2014From the name of the place and the appearance from the street, you would expect a neighborhood dive. Once inside, though, it's obviously a very popular spot with tourists and locals; tables right over the waterfront and giant sea turtles swimming up to your table. The food is original and truly delicious. Unbelievably rich seafood chowder, amazing salads, fresh fish, and unusual pizzas. Decent wine list. Friendly efficient service. Come prepared with an appetite, because portions are generous and filling; also with plenty of cash or credit left on your card.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kclb1111Dined on 11/12/2014Great food, atmosphere and service. A go to everyte we are here in MauiSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but noisyNoisyDined on 11/11/2014While the food is excellent, the noise level made dinner conversation with friends impossible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 11/10/2014Excellent dining experience right on the water. Casual atmosphere with farm to fork dining without all the fuss of fine dining. Our favorites were the Ahi bruschetta, Kale salad and the fresh fish. Can't wait to go back and try the pizza, it looked delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!MauijsDined on 11/10/2014Food was fantastic! Had the fish chowder & shrimp sandwich ! Don't think you could sit closer to the water unless you were in it! Our service was great! Not a fancy place comfortable atmosphere.Special Features:
- Just OKLocalWallyDined on 11/7/2014Honu came highly recommended by not only friends but a server at Star Noodle, one of the most popular new restaurants (which we loved). The Shrimp Louie salad was great and a good choice to share for lunch. Fish and Chips were very pricey at $33 but the fish was Ono and well cooked. The fries, however, were pretty standard and probably frozen. I expected more for that price point. The pizza was terrible, soggy and wet and limp. Costco pizza is about 100 times better and I am no fan of Costco pizza. At $19 it was not only not worth it but a terrible way to spend our last meal on Maui. I think lunch is better fit for this place - avoid the pizza.Special Features:
- Outstanding view, average foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/7/2014We dined at Honu specifically for the view and to watch the sunset. We requested an oceanfront table and we very pleased to find ourselves so close to the waves we could almost touch them, and the view was wonderful. We weren't overly hungry and split a Margherita Pizza (pizza is supposed to be a house specialty) and a Crab Louis Salad. The pizza was disappointing and the salad while fresh did not wow us. Overall a lovely evening but we would not go back.Special Features:
- Poor step childAhChooDined on 11/4/2014We arrived 15 min early for our reservation. I requested a beach front table. The hostess said our table would be ready in 15 min. Fast forward. Picture this. A person sitting at a table but you can't see the person across from him. Reason why? The table guest was sitting in another room (storage room). Apparently our table was situated between the main dining room and storage room divided by a room divider. So I decide to improve the by moving the table and chair into the main dining rm. There was a 20 min delay between courses. Server never explained the delay. My grilled ahi was barely seared and arrived lukewarm. Pretty sad for a highly promoted restaurant. Better off at Zippy's. Restaurant menu prices aren't same as Honu website.
- Too badOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/4/2014We have enjoyed many fine dinners at Honu and will go again, but my view at dinner was of an overflowing set of dumpsters. I'm not sure this was the worst seat in the place, but maybe. I didn't complain thinking they might figure it out, they didn't, too bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too Noisy,Jennybell8Dined on 11/2/2014We thought the menu was exceptional. The drinks were excellent. The service was super. The food was good, not great. The ambiance just OK, way too bright, way too noisey, and not very private. Tables were too close together. If you are looking for a romantic dinner, choose another restaurant. Most important I think it is overpriced even for Maui.Special Features:
- Dynamite locationsusanDined on 10/30/2014Expensive but great food, service and Maui atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerZoonbugDined on 10/28/2014Shrimp Louis salad, lamb riblets were superb. We dined right on the water's edge. Very nice setting. Friendly serviceSpecial Features:
- Amazing MealBsatovskDined on 10/28/2014Took my family here while they were visiting. It is my favorite place to send guest. Services is always great and friendly. Truly practice AlohaSpecial Features:
- Honu: The place you've looked forJBLMDMBADined on 10/27/2014Located on the water's edge at the North end of Lahaina and easy to find. Now with free valet parking. The cocktails are innovatively classic and come quickly with a smile. Appetizers are so good you could (as my wife does) make a meal out of a couple of them alone. The mussels are always perfect and let the waiter select the daily oysters if you want to be indulgent and pleased with your choice. IF you have ANY adventure left in your palate - please try the Spanish grilled octopus. It will change how you look at that creatures value. And I confess I always get the fresh fish Dore and always plan to get it again. Perfect. NEVER skip the lilikoi raspberry tart nor their coffee options. I hear their pizza is great for the kids or adults.Special Features:
- Excellent selection of seafoodsmithmp76VIPDined on 10/27/2014Honu offers and excellent selection of seafood accompanied by a broad pallette of liquors for creating well prepared cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favourites on MauiTMG48Dined on 10/27/2014Great food, great service, virtually beside the ocean in Lahaina - I return there every trip I make to Maui.Special Features:
- One of the best on Maui!CricketDined on 10/26/2014Great food and service. The view is great and makes for a wonderful sunset dinner. I had the island fish of the day with kale salad. The fish preparation was a nice compliment to the salad and grilled to perfection (tender and moist). The restaurant can be a little noisy depending on the crowds. There was a large group behind us. When they left the noise dropped to an acceptable level. Honu and Mala Ocean Tavern next door are both owned by the same couple. I usually dine at both places at least once when I am in Maui!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/26/2014Always awesome fresh fish and creative menu items. Exceptional service and ambienceSpecial Features:
- bnut squash soup best on the planetchocometsDined on 10/23/2014Been to honu twice, will definitely return on future maui trips. Butternut squash soup is the best on the planet! Family loved their appetizers and unique fish entrees. I prefer more casual fare so the salads, pizza and burger options make honu perfect for our family. Well done Honu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great JobSurferdude96761Dined on 10/21/2014Honu is a favorite of ours, great food, good service and just a terrific dining experience. We also love to go and eat at the Bar in a pinch. Tough for groups larger than 6, but worth the hassle. Mala is also great, and we are excited to see what the new restaurant will be next door (same chef/owner)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnonymousDined on 10/18/2014Fantastic food!! Fantastic service!!! Fantastic view!! Fantastic setting!!! Right in front of turtle refuge so if you are lucky like we were you will see the turtles trying to come ashore to rest. (Honu is Hawiian for turtle)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/17/2014We had the fresh fish and crab mac and cheese. Both excellent. Most would not think mac and cheese could be so good, but it truly is, Best I have ever had. Nice oceanfront restaurant, fun and casual. Great place and prices are reasonable (at least by Maui standards).Special Features:
- Great DinnerLuvgoodfoodDined on 10/14/2014My husband and I enjoyed a wonderful meal at this restaurant. Although it was very busy, the service was good and the food outstanding. I would definitely recommend the place for people that enjoy good eating.Special Features:
- Hidden GemPattiinsurpriseVIPDined on 10/14/2014The outside is very plain but as you walk in the entire restaurant is energetic and full of happy people. We were treated like regulars even though it was our first visit. We were immediately seated at an ocean front table. The bartender made me a yummy Miscow Mule to set the evening. Must tries are the Spanish Octopus dish and the mushroom pizza. No rushing and great service from Susie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeJester95Dined on 10/12/2014Wonderful food, on the water. Be sure to get a reservationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Lahaina GemDawnonmauiVIPDined on 10/10/2014What a busy little place. I made reservations for 7pm, but got there at about 6pm. Perfect time to grab a drink at the bar, relax and talk to lots of guests. At 7pm we were seated at a ocean front table and promptly greeted. Knowledgeable staff, great food and service. Our out of town guest loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014Honu was awesome but the opentable reservation system is lacking. We wanted a specific time and it was not offered on opentable so we called the restaurant directly and got the time we wanted. I won't likely use opentable againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderfullove2dineVIPDined on 10/9/2014On the beach in Lahaina, great food and excellent service. What's not to like. Dine here at least once every time we're on MauiSpecial Features:
- Great food &fantastic viewDebraVIPDined on 10/9/2014You can see the sea turtles from here very good food highly recommend you try itSpecial Features:
- Enjoy the viewFulltimepatsfanDined on 10/9/2014My wife and I went for pizza and a beer. They have s great selection of beer,local and international. While eating we sat at waters edge listening to the waves and stones as they ebbed and flowed. We also got to see a sea turtle restring on the rocky shore. Very nice atmosphere with great service. Like all restaurants in the area a bit pricey, a salad pizza and two beers with tip set us back $60.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING ALWAYSDavidVIPDined on 10/6/2014This is a hidden gem that provides a wonderful atmosphere, high quality food for the value and superb service. They always deliver above and beyond!Special Features:
- Extremely overratedThomasVIPDined on 10/6/2014Very disappointed with this over-priced and over-rated restaurant. Would never recommend it to anyone.
- Birthday CelebrationsrleDined on 10/5/2014Aloha, We enjoyed celebrating our client's birthday at Honu. Definitely a place to return to even if just a cocktail and pupu at the bar! Opakapaka was AMAZING!!! Oso Bucco OUTSTANDING!! Ahi Bruschetta a HIT at our table! We just need to go back and try other items on the menu!Special Features: