Honu Seafood and Pizza - Lahaina
1295 Front St.
Lahaina, HI 96761Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Honu Seafood and Pizza - Lahaina
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.honumaui.com/
- Phone: 8086679390x
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 3:00pm;
Dinner 4:30pm - 930pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Chef Mark Ellman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Honu Seafood and Pizza - Lahaina
Chef Mark and Judy Ellman have opened a seafood shack, right next door to Mala Ocean Tavern. Honu Seafood and Pizza also sits right on the rocks of the Pacific Ocean, with 50 beers, an organic and eclectic wine list, and an extensive scotch and rum selection. Mark and Judy have created an environment that soothes the savage beasts craving of oysters on the half shell, steamed clams and mussels, Crab Louis salad, a selection of Hawaiian seafood, as well as fish from the West and East Coasts of the US. Honu also features a 900 degree brick-oven turning out artisinal pizzas. Come to Honu, drink a local Micro-brewed beer ,eat some freshly shucked oysters on the half shell, and let your eyes and soul relax into the Pacific. Honu, like Mala, is run by Mark and Judy Ellman and their two daughters Ariana and Michelle. Remember, we always try and practice Aloha. Please come and practice with us.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Honu Seafood and Pizza - Lahaina - Best Restaurants in Lahaina ›
Honu Seafood and Pizza - Lahaina reviews from OpenTable diners
155 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (134)great for outdoor dining (101)fit for foodies (92)romantic (79)special occasion (61)neighborhood gem (57)kid-friendly (43)great for lunch (42)hot spot (39)vibrant bar scene (26)notable wine list (25)good for groups (24)great for brunch (21)late-night find (16)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Great views of the sunset if you desire! Excellent food choices!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorites on Maui<3OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/29/2014This is our second visit to Maui and Honu was one of the first reservations we made. We had such a wonderful time last time that we couldn't wait to return and we were not disappointed!Our server made all the suggestions and did not steer us wrong. She suggested we try their signature appetizer, which was tuna. We are not fans of raw fish but it was so delicious we could have eaten more!Their fish is caught daily and it is worth it to try fish here that you have never tried before. The staff is very knowledgeable of how the dishes are prepared and the taste of all the fish.We ended up making another reservation for our last night here!The view is fabulous and the sunsets are breathtaking!! We can't wait for a return visit to Maui and Honu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodCostaDined on 8/28/2014Good eats and unique menu. Location is great with outdoor seating right on the water. Not a far drive from many big hotels on Kaanapali and good local food - NOT a boring chain. Service was okay, but the food and atmosphere were fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scenic, Warm & Eclectic - good eatsNotATourist2010VIPDined on 8/28/2014Really good food and as it is situated on the ocean, the view is amazing-turtles can be seen. It is casual, with knowledgeable & friendly wait staff. The food is inventive & really good. We had shrimp verde pizza, fish & chips (5*), ahi bruschetta, fried oysters, excellent Guava Pisco Sours, and an amazing turtle cheesecake (5*....large - you can share). There was 1 bartender which slowed drinks-we cancelled a 2nd cocktail as we would of finished food before arrival. Tables close together...plan on chatting with your neighbor:-). Recommend making a reservation; limited seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food, service, locationOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/27/2014Excellent food and very good service -located just a little away from the crazinest and heavy traffic of Lahaina town yet still offering great views of the water. Prices are a bit on the high side but the food and service made it worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lahaina favoriteFrompdxVIPDined on 8/25/2014Discovered both Honu and sister restaurant, Mala, on past trip to Maui. Return here ever since for the great food. Good options for vegetarian diners. Service is always friendly, low key and attentive. Food is flavorful and creative. Local, fresh and consistent. Had an oceanside table this evening which was romantic and relaxing. Have recommended to family and friends, and will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Time2chowDined on 8/22/2014Beautiful location. Excellent brick oven pizza and oysters! Very pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over pricedSarahDined on 8/21/2014You pay for the Oceanside seating (if lucky enough to get a table) overpriced mediocre food, extremely noisy and cramped tables. Would not go back. The waitress was pleasant...Special Features:
- FoodcrazyVIPDined on 8/20/2014One if our favorite dining experiences in Maui. Beautiful setting ( like its sister Ma La). Everything we had was excellent, including sausage pizza, fresh mongchong, ahi bolognese. Will definitely return again.Special Features:
- One of the best meals on MauiDenverTravelerVIPDined on 8/17/2014Its sister restaurant, Mala, has long been one of our favorite Maui restaurants but we're hooked on Honu now. Although every table was filled, our server Suzanne never let us feel forgotten or ignored, her descriptions of the drinks and food were spot-on and she did it with a great sense of humor. Our food was served piping hot and it was delicious. Sorry for the short review, but just thinking about it has me wanting to make my next reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot during sunsetLove2eatoutVIPDined on 8/17/2014We were seated at a table to watch sunset. There were no fans in the restaurant and it was very hot. I was sweating during my meal. The food was good. If you like to watch sunsets I recommend another restaurant. Come here after the sunset when it's coolerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a stop!OpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 8/16/2014For something so casual as pizza, ended up being really tasty. We oredered the ahi sausage pizza, which sounded a little odd at first, but turned out to be wonderful, tender and not spicy. The fish and chips were wonderful - especially for someone who doesn't usually order fried food. Batter was light and crispy and fish soft and tender. The "chips" were a combination of potato and sweet potato fries - perfect balance. Service was wonderful and accommodating with 2 toddlers. Views were amazing, can't get any better than this. Can't wait to come back.Special Features:
- Excellent!!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/15/2014We loved this restaurant! The service and food were excellent. Went with my family on vacation - great for adults and kids.Special Features:
- Good meal, great view.BigDaddyMattDined on 8/14/2014We ate here second night on Maui. Kids had the pizza, which, though overpriced (as expected) was good and both enjoyed. I had the burger-$19 for a burger is ridiculous (yes, I know it was Kobe), but it was pretty darn good. My fine had the Ahi bruschetta appetizer, which she absolutely loved, and the romaine salad,which she also liked. Beautiful spot right on the water. Nice little by the glass wine list-reasonably priced.
- Never disappointsLuv2dineDined on 8/11/2014Inventive, tasty dishes that keep us returning. The Ahi Bruschetta is FANTASTIC. Wait staff are knowledgeable, attentive, not pushy. Portion size is good, never feel hungry when I leave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing date nightAK808Dined on 8/10/2014My husband and I chose Honu for our first date night, in two years!! Not having been out since the kids were born, we were hoping for a great night. Our night ended up being nearly perfect. The food was simply amazing, the drinks were delightful, the service fantastic and the ambience romantic. Try the octopus appetizer and the Ahi entree. YUM!!! Thank you Honu! We've added you to our favorites list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hostess not accommodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014restaurant was good but could not accommodate us on a oceanfront table even though we got there over 1 hour prior to our reservation time to specifically request an oceanfront view. Also they were out of pizzas that night, which is one of the reasons we chose the restaurant in the first place.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014Great food,,great service...we have been to Mala as well and both are fabulous...the ahi bruschetta was worth it as well as the grilled octopus..it melted in your mouth..amazing food!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RIGHT ON THE WATER..DIVINE..SPECIALLoisonMauiDined on 8/9/2014Had my birthday dinner here. The staff went out of their way to make it special...nice table, very knowledgeable server, food options great, priced affordable to expensive (since my BD I chose the house special that night - Monchong prepared perfectly and my husband had the Crab Louie, also prepared perfectly). We started with a gift from the owner and staff of their signature Ahi bruschetta, then had to try the fresh special salad that night- a Barolo with greens and tomatoes. Top this all off with great wine and the house French Macarons (dessert a gift again and served with a candle and staff signing happy birthday). Now this is a special birthday, I'll remember. Mahalo to the team at Honu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Honu Doesn't Disappoint!KahuluiGalDined on 8/9/2014We are return customers that brought our friends to Honu to introduce them to our favorite restaurant, and you didn't disappoint! The food, as well as the service was amazing! There is no question that Honu out does Mama's Fish House!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CEBChasBDined on 8/5/2014What a location to see the Hawaiin sunset. Food and service were superb! Would recommend this place to anyone going to Maui!Special Features:
- Lahaina GemhomecookDined on 8/4/2014Wonderful food, great service and beautiful ocean view and spectacular sunset! A "must" when visiting Lahaina, Maui, HI.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant in LahainaLove2eatnmauiDined on 7/31/2014Anyone staying near Lahaina needs to come to Honu for a sunset dinner. The ahi bruschetta is "a must". The special fresh fish is great but you can never go wrong with the seafood pasta! Great kids menu including fish and chips & pizza.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fooddiningoutDined on 7/30/2014disappointed in the menu. was hoping for a better selection of fresh fish. My fish was very bland. great place to see the sunset tho.Special Features:
- ManagerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014The Manager was do helpful and kind to us. He is handicapped but it was so welcoming at the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ALWAYS DEPENDABLEjoiikatzDined on 7/21/2014This is the restaurant you always want to take your guests to impress with the food and views and also being casual. Never have had a bad meal!Special Features:
- Dependable seaside diningBarrykadeDined on 7/20/2014Honu is one of a pair of oceanside eateries on Lahaina's Front Street that command regular attendance. The couple at the next table came there directly from the airport, suitcases still in the car. The food is considered exceptional by locals and vacationers alike. We had riblets, oysters and ahi sashimi from the starters menu, and all were terrific. So much so that we passed on the entree menu, where prices seemed higher than those published online. It isn't cheap at Honu (but not much is on Maui's West Side), but there's value in the quality of the experience.Special Features:
- Non pizzeriakimosabiVIPDined on 7/18/2014The cook does not know to make a pizza margherita even if the name of the restaurant includes the word ""Pizza". Not only it did not like a genuine Neopolitan pizza with thin crust, but also did not taste like one. I doubt the cook has ever tasted a real pizza margherita the way they make in Naples. It is a shame, it would have been a beautiful dining experience otherwise.Special Features:
- Honu - AgainashesDined on 7/17/2014Love this restaurant - try to get here every couple of weeks - we have never had a bad meal or even an average one - this time we had ahi sausage pizza, the burrata appetizer, and the asparagus and shrimp plate - for desert the macaroons and they were fabulous - good service, good food, good wine - what more could we askSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Honu - great food & locationMcmdkddVIPDined on 7/16/2014Honu is a wonderful restaurant, a local treasure, with great food and friendly, attentive service. The fish tacos and pizza are very good. Their daily fish dinner was prepared with lemon, capers and buerre blanc sauce- delicious! The location is great. They now have complimentary valet parking, which is nice. The view is outstanding - it is located right on the water with turtles swimming outside. We highly recommend Honu! Practice Aloha!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/12/2014We ate at Honu on our last night in Maui and we loved the food! The service was impeccable from the hostesses to the server and the overall experience was great. I would definitely recommend Honu to everyone - you won't be disappointed!Special Features:
- Sunset dining at its bestFoodie4VIPDined on 7/12/2014We got a prime oceanfront table at 6:30 so we enjoyed a beautiful sunset. The staff opened the shades and lit torches when the glare went down. Bustling atmosphere, very friendly service. Liked the diverse menu. Portions were very generous (esp the seafood pasta!). Will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top Notch!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014Wonderful food, incredible service, fantastic scenery! This is a foodie's dream--and great for those of us who just love a delicious dining experience. We tried the special cocktails, the oysters, the Ahi bruchetta and the WHOLE FISH special. It was tremendous! We even bought gift certificates for a honeymoon couple coming to Maui soon. Well worth your time and money to visit Honu!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh and WonderfulCorkedVIPDined on 7/12/2014Monica our server was outstanding! Very knowledgable and friendly. The whole fried snapper is the most pristine ingredient the local waters offer. Don't concern yourself with the price. Well worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved Our Lunch!mauigirlVIPDined on 7/12/2014Mark Ellman's Mala Ocean Tavern restaurant is right next door to Honu. If you have been to Mala, you might have noticed that a few of the items on the menu are also on the Honu menu. That's a good thing because these items, especially the ahi bruschetta, are fabulous. This was the first time I dined at Honu and it excellent. We had ocean front seating, it was a beautiful day with the trade winds gently blowing. Our server was super friendly and efficient. We were a party of four and ordered the ahi bruschetta (2), fresh catch of the day sandwich (2), tuna tatami appetizer, grilled octopus appetizer. The fries that came with the sandwiches were crisp and delicious and included sweet potato fries as well. It was the perfect lunch.Special Features:
- PeterVIPDined on 7/11/2014Excellent food, expensive, but then if you get the dining cards at Costco, it helps defray the expense. Excellent wine list with across the board pricing from the $20's on up. Corkage fee is $25. The servings are ample and some very unique, the Louie crab salad is very different, but is outstanding and a meal in itself and the dressing is a real Louie dressing, not a hybrid Thousand Island dressing. Highly recommended along with reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/9/2014Food was good and our service was excellent. The menu prices are high for the overall experience. We enjoyed the restaurant, but it is not worth a second trip for us.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Honu!GoToMauiVIPDined on 7/9/2014Beautiful view! Start with the fried garbanzos then move to the Hibiscus Martini. Lifeguard Ahi was delicious and my son loved the Dungeness crab Mac n cheese. Loved the local flavor. The service is excellent-- our waitress made excellent recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JenniferDined on 7/5/2014Service and atmosphere was great, but food was just okay. This place is a bit overhyped, but a nice spot with a romantic view if you want to get out of touristy Front St in Lahaina town.Special Features:
- One of the better spots on MauiNYer1969VIPDined on 7/3/2014We've been to the sister restaurant next door Ma'La and always had a good meal. Decided to try this place and the experience is the same. All around very good and definitely one of the better spots on Maui. If you love fresh seafood and dining on the water front there is not much to say. Selections for kids also available and deserts are great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.