Honu Seafood and Pizza - Lahaina
1295 Front St.
Lahaina, HI 96761Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Honu Seafood and Pizza - Lahaina
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.honumaui.com/
- Phone: 8086679390x
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 3:00pm;
Dinner 4:30pm - 930pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Chef Mark Ellman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Honu Seafood and Pizza - Lahaina
Chef Mark and Judy Ellman have opened a seafood shack, right next door to Mala Ocean Tavern. Honu Seafood and Pizza also sits right on the rocks of the Pacific Ocean, with 50 beers, an organic and eclectic wine list, and an extensive scotch and rum selection. Mark and Judy have created an environment that soothes the savage beasts craving of oysters on the half shell, steamed clams and mussels, Crab Louis salad, a selection of Hawaiian seafood, as well as fish from the West and East Coasts of the US. Honu also features a 900 degree brick-oven turning out artisinal pizzas. Come to Honu, drink a local Micro-brewed beer ,eat some freshly shucked oysters on the half shell, and let your eyes and soul relax into the Pacific. Honu, like Mala, is run by Mark and Judy Ellman and their two daughters Ariana and Michelle. Remember, we always try and practice Aloha. Please come and practice with us.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Honu Seafood and Pizza - Lahaina - Best Restaurants in Lahaina ›
Honu Seafood and Pizza - Lahaina reviews from OpenTable diners
174 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (140)great for outdoor dining (110)fit for foodies (91)romantic (69)neighborhood gem (61)special occasion (56)hot spot (49)kid-friendly (37)great for lunch (33)good for groups (27)vibrant bar scene (27)notable wine list (26)late-night find (15)great for brunch (11)Show More
- Great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014Shrimp Louis salad, lamb riblets were superb. We dined right on the water's edge. Very nice setting. Friendly serviceSpecial Features:
- Honu: The place you've looked forOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/27/2014Located on the water's edge at the North end of Lahaina and easy to find. Now with free valet parking. The cocktails are innovatively classic and come quickly with a smile. Appetizers are so good you could (as my wife does) make a meal out of a couple of them alone. The mussels are always perfect and let the waiter select the daily oysters if you want to be indulgent and pleased with your choice. IF you have ANY adventure left in your palate - please try the Spanish grilled octopus. It will change how you look at that creatures value. And I confess I always get the fresh fish Dore and always plan to get it again. Perfect. NEVER skip the lilikoi raspberry tart nor their coffee options. I hear their pizza is great for the kids or adults.Special Features:
- Excellent selection of seafoodsmithmp76VIPDined on 10/27/2014Honu offers and excellent selection of seafood accompanied by a broad pallette of liquors for creating well prepared cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favourites on MauiOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/27/2014Great food, great service, virtually beside the ocean in Lahaina - I return there every trip I make to Maui.Special Features:
- One of the best on Maui!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/26/2014Great food and service. The view is great and makes for a wonderful sunset dinner. I had the island fish of the day with kale salad. The fish preparation was a nice compliment to the salad and grilled to perfection (tender and moist). The restaurant can be a little noisy depending on the crowds. There was a large group behind us. When they left the noise dropped to an acceptable level. Honu and Mala Ocean Tavern next door are both owned by the same couple. I usually dine at both places at least once when I am in Maui!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/26/2014Always awesome fresh fish and creative menu items. Exceptional service and ambienceSpecial Features:
- bnut squash soup best on the planetchocometsDined on 10/23/2014Been to honu twice, will definitely return on future maui trips. Butternut squash soup is the best on the planet! Family loved their appetizers and unique fish entrees. I prefer more casual fare so the salads, pizza and burger options make honu perfect for our family. Well done Honu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnonymousDined on 10/18/2014Fantastic food!! Fantastic service!!! Fantastic view!! Fantastic setting!!! Right in front of turtle refuge so if you are lucky like we were you will see the turtles trying to come ashore to rest. (Honu is Hawiian for turtle)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/17/2014We had the fresh fish and crab mac and cheese. Both excellent. Most would not think mac and cheese could be so good, but it truly is, Best I have ever had. Nice oceanfront restaurant, fun and casual. Great place and prices are reasonable (at least by Maui standards).Special Features:
- Great DinnerLuvgoodfoodDined on 10/14/2014My husband and I enjoyed a wonderful meal at this restaurant. Although it was very busy, the service was good and the food outstanding. I would definitely recommend the place for people that enjoy good eating.Special Features:
- Hidden GemPattiinsurpriseVIPDined on 10/14/2014The outside is very plain but as you walk in the entire restaurant is energetic and full of happy people. We were treated like regulars even though it was our first visit. We were immediately seated at an ocean front table. The bartender made me a yummy Miscow Mule to set the evening. Must tries are the Spanish Octopus dish and the mushroom pizza. No rushing and great service from Susie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeJester95Dined on 10/12/2014Wonderful food, on the water. Be sure to get a reservationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Lahaina GemDawnonmauiVIPDined on 10/10/2014What a busy little place. I made reservations for 7pm, but got there at about 6pm. Perfect time to grab a drink at the bar, relax and talk to lots of guests. At 7pm we were seated at a ocean front table and promptly greeted. Knowledgeable staff, great food and service. Our out of town guest loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014Honu was awesome but the opentable reservation system is lacking. We wanted a specific time and it was not offered on opentable so we called the restaurant directly and got the time we wanted. I won't likely use opentable againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food &fantastic viewDebraVIPDined on 10/9/2014You can see the sea turtles from here very good food highly recommend you try itSpecial Features:
- Enjoy the viewFulltimepatsfanDined on 10/9/2014My wife and I went for pizza and a beer. They have s great selection of beer,local and international. While eating we sat at waters edge listening to the waves and stones as they ebbed and flowed. We also got to see a sea turtle restring on the rocky shore. Very nice atmosphere with great service. Like all restaurants in the area a bit pricey, a salad pizza and two beers with tip set us back $60.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING ALWAYSDavidVIPDined on 10/6/2014This is a hidden gem that provides a wonderful atmosphere, high quality food for the value and superb service. They always deliver above and beyond!Special Features:
- Extremely overratedThomasVIPDined on 10/6/2014Very disappointed with this over-priced and over-rated restaurant. Would never recommend it to anyone.
- Birthday CelebrationsrleDined on 10/5/2014Aloha, We enjoyed celebrating our client's birthday at Honu. Definitely a place to return to even if just a cocktail and pupu at the bar! Opakapaka was AMAZING!!! Oso Bucco OUTSTANDING!! Ahi Bruschetta a HIT at our table! We just need to go back and try other items on the menu!Special Features:
- Great Food and Service.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/29/2014Visited 2 nights and everything was perfect both nights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy twin of Hong and priceyFoodflightVIPDined on 9/29/2014This place has essentially the same menu as adjacent Honu with a much higher sound level.it is a more cramped space too. If you want to pay these prices and have a less frenetic dining experience go to Honu instead. Too spend and touristy for us. Server ignored our request for the check and brought dessert menus. Then had to take check to front when he didn't return. And despite a reservation they seated us at the bar for drinks for 45 minutes.
- Great AtmospherefoodmonsterDined on 9/29/2014Great food and service. Food was not as rich as other restaurants. Our table was so close to the water we could almost touch it. A+Special Features:
- A find in LahainavrinrhDined on 9/28/2014This place is a definite find. The seared Ahi bruschetta definitely lived up to the reputation - it is to die for.Special Features:
- Great outdoor view of the sunsetRickyVIPDined on 9/25/2014My wife and I were on vacation in Maui. We made reservation at Honu Seafood and Pizza. We drove there and walked inside The staff was very friendly. We waited by the bar while they got us a table. We ordered drinks and they were great. The bartender was a outstanding ambassador to the restaurant. We got a table outside and the view was very beautiful. We ordered the special fish dish and the shrimp pizza. It was fantastic. We had a splendid time. This place is so good that during out stay for ten days we ate there twice. Also, they have valet service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing viewThemightyryoDined on 9/22/2014Great view, sweet seevice and awesome food. You'd better go this restaurant once if you'll stay at Lahaina area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food on our trip!Yogi205VIPDined on 9/21/2014We spent four days in the Lahaina area and ate at various highly recommended spots but this one beat them all. The opakapaka fish special was amazing and the tomato and mozzarella served with cherry wheat bread was the best I've eaten. Good selection of different options on the menu and right on the water for a nice sunset view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticRayandBarbDined on 9/20/2014This was our first visit to this restaurant. We loved it - great food, service & ambiance. Our server, Jackie, was awesome. Great gluten-free choices!Special Features:
- Fabulous dinner....great service!HTBmauiDined on 9/20/2014I've been to Honu multiple times since they opened and my experiences there keep getting better and better. We had a group of 8 with 2 small children and everyone loved their dinner (kids dinner quite expensive though at $14 for noodles!). Our server was fabulous but I can't remember her name! Ahi bruschetta still amazing....small gado gado is big enough to have as your dinner.Special Features:
- fun new placerlernVIPDined on 9/19/2014Another ocean side restaurant...this one we could almost touch the water. We had some good brick oven pizza that was a nice change from all the heavy meals. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BeautifultrioofgalsDined on 9/18/2014Honu was a perfect maui experience. Right on the water with a view of the sunset that was spectacular. The service was personal and friendly. The menu had extensive choice for vegan, gluten free and all out carnivore. I would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HonuNettyDined on 9/18/2014Recommended by a friend. We were disappointed in the lobster pizza and kale salad. Would not returnSpecial Features:
- Food is as great as the view!alumiereDined on 9/17/2014We have included Honu as part of our vacation "must do's" each time we head to Maui! The service is always good and the choice of what to select always a tough one as there are so many good options!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HONU IS GETTING BETTEROpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/16/2014Thank goodnes for the valet - because the parking is brutal here. The pizza is better than most. The beers are high but the list is copius. We are frequent HONU flyers.Special Features:
- DootsieDined on 9/15/2014We celebrated my husband's birthday at Honu's as we did last year. We had a wonderful evening from the special drinks to the delicious food. Erika, our server, was outstanding! We look forward to dining at Honu's again.Special Features:
- Honu is WonderfulprofessorfionaVIPDined on 9/13/2014Especially if you must eat gluten free. So many unbelievable treats to try that you rarely see on a gluten free menu. Ahi tuna on flax great toast with edamame puree, tomatoes, etc. Luscious, fresh and fabulous. Tried both the gluten free and regular lobster and cheese pizza special. Another winner. They do craft cocktails very well. The view of Lanai and Molokai at sunset sets photographers into a frenzy. It's easy to park and just enough out of the the bustle of Lahaina's center to make it feel like a real find. Don't miss it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lamb riblets...and moreChildLibrDined on 9/13/2014The shrimp Louie salad was so great and the dressing was beyond description. It was that good! For dessert, we had the liliko'i cream brûlée, raspberry tart which was sweet with the tart raspberries and finished with Italian meringue. For an appetizer we shared the lamb riblets and I thought they were burnt and dry. The dipping sauce was excellent, not so much for the riblets.Special Features:
- Great Place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 9/12/2014Honu is definitely a gem here in Lahaina! The service was outstanding. Connie Green the server was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing mealUytx234Dined on 9/10/2014Terrible service. Ran out of food early in evening. Server's attitude was very bad.Special Features:
- GgigiDined on 9/8/2014The food was way over priced and they use paper napkins! ... but one is paying for the view.Special Features:
- Dining at the Shorelinepixel45Dined on 9/8/2014The menu was varied and the choices were creative and healthy. I had not been to this restaurant before, but wished I would have found it earlier in our vacation. Prices are moderate and food was creatively presented. This is far more than a bar or pizza joint. Will definitely be back when I return to Maui.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.