Honu Kitchen and Cocktails
363 New York
Huntington, NY 11743Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Honu Kitchen and Cocktails
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.honukitchen.com/
- Phone: 6314216900
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday 5:00pm-10:00pm, Friday & Saturday 5:00pm-12:00am Sunday 4pm - 9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Robert Flaherty
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: On premise catering available
- Private Party Facilities: Private party room up to 55.
- Private Party Contact: Timmy 6314216900
- Entertainment: Friday & Saturday nights starting at 11:30pm Honu has outstanding DJ's that start spinning and the dining room is transformed in to a dance floor & lounge.
A word from Honu Kitchen and Cocktails
A long Island favorite, Honu Kitchen and Cocktails continues to impress. Driven by the freshest local ingredients, Executive Chef Robert Flaherty’s seasonal American menu boasts an “excellent” rating from the New York Times. Soaring loft-like ceilings, elegant furnishings and a buzzing bar create a sophisticated setting matched by Honus renowned hospitality and polished service. Cuisine, setting, service: Honu is the perfect choice for any occasion.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Honu Kitchen and Cocktails - Best Restaurants in Huntington ›
Honu Kitchen and Cocktails reviews from OpenTable diners
94 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
vibrant bar scene (65)hot spot (60)good for groups (52)special occasion (45)fit for foodies (44)neighborhood gem (41)romantic (34)late-night find (23)notable wine list (17)great for outdoor dining (14)great for lunch (11)great for brunch (7)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Improved!BABSVIPDined on 10/19/2014The last two times I've been to Honu have been great. Much better than in the past. The scallop appetizer is amazing as well as the tuna app. The sesame crusted tuna entree is delicious. The steaks are good as well. My dessert was tasty, the apple crisp. Amazing deal for restaurant weekSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014Excellent restaurant, wonderful service, gourmet food and ambiance. Equivalent to a top New York City restaurant.Special Features:
- Great experience!AjcesqDined on 10/19/2014Four of us dined. We all have differing tastes and we were all extremely pleased with the food, service and atmosphere!!Special Features:
- Good foodeatout4funDined on 10/18/2014This was our first time at this restaurant. Our waiter was attentive and the pace of our courses was well planned. The food was good, atmosphere was pleasant.
- Great mealTable44Dined on 10/17/2014We dined somewhat early on a Friday night, and the bar was busy with happy hour and many of the tables were seated too. This is a fun, lively spot. Our meal was perfectly prepared and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- roxieeDined on 10/17/2014We were there on Friday night. Had the butternut squash soup which was excellent- could have been my whole meal. We had the short ribs, which I've had many times there, and the tuna- both excellent. It was restaurant week- Honu does a great restaurant week with almost everything on menu inlcuded. We brought the desserts home, and enjoyed the cheescake and brownie the next day. Sevice at Honu is always professional and friendly.Special Features:
- good, not greatmarkDined on 10/12/2014very nice restaurant...warm and comfortable...went during restaurant week so got a good deal...tuna app was very good, short-rib was just ok...sauce needed more ooomph...drinks were pretty good, nothing amazing...waitress was just ok...she was nice enough but was more interested in doing shots with a group of guys at a table near the bar then assisting us...while i don't like wait staff that's on top of you, i shouldn't have to hunt them down either, especially when i want a drink, i.e. $$$ for you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good Dining ExperienceEastNorthportFoodiesDined on 10/12/2014Food, cocktails and service were all very good. Calamari with aioli, chicken skewers with andoullie sausage and, flatbread with figs and goat cheese were all outstanding. Main courses salmon with edamame succotash and pecan crusted pork with sweet potato hash were equally outstanding. All seasoned perfectly. Mac & cheese was nothing to write home about, couldn't figure out where the bacon was in the dish, probably wouldn't order it again. All in all a very good dining experience. Have been there before and will most likely dine there again.Special Features:
- disappointedBeachEsqVIPDined on 10/11/2014We ordered two soups, clam chowder and the lobster bisque. The lobster bisque was tasteless; and, was sent back. The clam chowder contained 1/4 to 1/2 of a clam; and, tasted more of potatoes than clam flavor. Ordered four entrees, one of which was sent back, a pork entree, which was very tasteless; and, had the consistency of stickmeat/boiled beef. The other entrees were disappointing. I must add that the waitress was most accomodating and attentive; and, took both items off the check, replacing the entree.
- Good, But27EastDined on 10/11/2014Shocking based on prior experiences, I must say that this past Saturday night must be evaluated as .... quality of food - check, wait staff - check, kitchen - didn't show up. We were told that restaurant gets busy prior to show time at the Paramount. But, that said, you would think management would compensate with having adequate kitchen staff. Appetizer salad served 5 minutes after ordering, but then a 40 minute wait for entree. Bottom line, this is unacceptable for a restaurant trying to survive in Huntington - with so many choices.Special Features:
- DisappointedCutekatDined on 10/10/2014There is a reason this restaurant still had reservations left on a Friday night in Huntington, the service is standard, it's very loud and dark, no intimate dining here....the food was the disappointment... I ordered the "tender pork" and was expecting pork tenderloin, instead I received a hunk of pork something the size of a softball over unrecognizable root vegetables drowned in caramelized brown sugar.... It was a giant meat Sunday. Heavy heavy heavy. Stop drowning your food honu!Special Features:
- Budgie123Dined on 10/10/2014Very good food and excellent service. Only complaint--duck tacos on the Small Plates portion of the menu, though very tasty, should have had its own section called "Miniscule Plates."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/10/2014Used to be one of my favorite places but now even my go to gruyere burger wasn't even good. May have to finally give up on honu after a long time.
- a great neighborhood placebillfroDined on 10/8/2014We enjoyed ourselves at Honu. The food is great, but the prices aren't as user-friendly as I would have liked.Special Features:
- SO SLOWBenDoverDined on 10/5/2014Very limited menu and slow service. There were only three tables filled and it took two hours and fifteen minutes for dinner and thats without coffee and desert
- BEAUTIFULOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/1/2014Was very impressed with the food, service and ambiance. It was also half off wine Wednesday!Special Features:
- Has improved!BABSVIPDined on 9/25/2014The seared Tuna app and the scallops with creamed corn were both delicious. My husband loved his steak. Service was great. Will be back.Special Features:
- PurpleButterflyDined on 9/19/2014On Friday night, I went with my sister and friends to celebrate my sister' s birthday. I was so excited about going to this restaurant, since it was our first time and I had gotten very good reviews. I have to say the restaurant, service of the waiter and the food were very good. But, what I didn't like was that the host who sat us would not let us seat in the big booths. That was the ONLY downside other than that it's was a very good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food!jlv3Dined on 9/13/2014Everything we ordered was delicious. Just know you are gonna spend a lot of money.. Drinks are manhattan prices.Special Features:
- Great menuMAC1VIPDined on 9/13/2014Lots to choose from on the menu...we tried some small plates to share and everthing was delicious. Rebecca was an excellent server. We enjoyed the restaurant very much and would go back. Coconut martini super yummy!Special Features:
- Great Time at Honu!BasoredVIPDined on 9/6/2014Although, I've dined here before, their attention to their patrons was fantastic. I took a couple who were celebrating their 25th wedding anniversary, the owner sent over champagne and came to the table to congratulate them and us all for coming. The waitress was great we never had to look for her, she seemed to appear when needed. The small plates of calamari,scallops and Peking duck were excellent. As we're the main dishes of the shrimp and scallop risotto, short ribs and my favorite, ahi tuna. The owner also sent over an order of cheesecake pops that were out of this world. The food was terrific. The bar was packed, but not unruly and annoying to the diners. I definitely would put this on your must go to spots!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- saturday night dinner date!Lois113Dined on 9/6/2014My husband and I enjoy going to Honu for a Saturday dinner date, the food is excellent as is service. Servers are attentive, engaging and knowledgeable on the dishes. We never feel rushed with our meal and enjoy a leisurely after dinner drink.Special Features:
- best of huntingtonMrfoodVIPDined on 9/6/2014honu gets better everytime I dine there. food is outstanding, we got to try some new items going on the fall menu. salad of baby kale, apples, pumpkin seeds and ricotta salata with a cider vinegar vinaigrette out standing. new dessert was a salted caramel crème brulee, the best we ever had. the main courses were also very good, rare tuna and short ribs with a butternut squash and zucchini hash. service was great. run, don't walk to honu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014My wife and I choose Honu Kitchen and Cocktails as we had heard good things about the restaurant. We were not disappointed. Our waitress, Crystal was professional, polite, informed and attentive without being overbearing. The atmosphere was relaxed and the ambiance well thought out. The manager, Heather picked up on the fact that it was our anniversary and comped us for the first round of drinks - nice touch and good decision. We will not hesitate to come back. You have a new customer. Regards, Bill FranzSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good night overall!!!KisseslauraDined on 8/30/2014We had a great night from our waiter Anthony that was very nice and helpful and the food that was great. We went on Saturday night so the DJ came on at 10:30pm, the moved some tables and created a dance floor which was great! I love supper clubs and that was the reason we went there in the first place. My only complain and the reason why I didn't give it 5 stats is because the drinks were not very good. We were 5 girls that ordered different drinks twice and none of us liked our drinks. The taste was off and the drinks were weak. Because of the location and how pretty the place looks I really think they should make better cocktails. I used to bartend so I know what a mojito should taste like.. lol.. Overall, great night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/29/2014Great ambiance. Good service. Good music. Great menu but the food itself Left a lot to be desired. The sesame seed tuna quality was not great. Have bad much better. The lobster bisque was very bland. Probable the worst I ever had. The pumpkin tortellini was decent. The salad Had too much dressing otherwise it was good. If they can improve the quality and the taste of the menu they will have a fantastic place.Special Features:
- Off nightluv2eatDined on 8/29/2014We caught this restaurant on an off night. Burgers are always great, the rib eye was served with gorgonzola and a red wine demi glace but was actually bland. The steak was thin and over cooked just didn't taste well, normally a rib eye has so much flavor it doesn't need accompaniments. Finally the Mahi Mahi special was over cooked and dry. Sal our waiter was on his game, as usual. Normally this restaurant is special, unfortunately not this time....I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice restaurant.MarakiVIPDined on 8/23/2014This was our first visit. They had a very good price fixe menu. Food was good, but I thought they could have had more entree choices. Our waiter was very good and had a great sense of humor.
- Great place!lauren2brookeDined on 8/22/2014Amazing. Very romantic and great place for late night dine! Food was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect night outKeepitchic112Dined on 8/16/2014We always have a wonderful time everytime we visit honu. The food and drinks are amazing and the atmosphere is ideal for a fun night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gluten free delightsEllen28VIPDined on 8/9/2014we invited friends to join us for a delicious dinner. our waitress, rita, was wonderful...i am gluten free, she took the time to answer my questions and find out about certain foods. she was helpfrul & friendly. dinner was terrific. we love the atmosphere. looking forward to going back...Special Features:
- Food was disappointingChewyTuna411Dined on 8/2/2014I've eaten at this restaurant several times and the food was never disappointing. However, this was the first time that the food was. I always look forward to ordering the Ahi Tuna as it usually never disappoints. This time around it was very chewy and overcooked. We tried to return it but it was difficult to get the waitresses attention and we were hungry.Special Features:
- Family FavoriteabuckDined on 8/1/2014I am not from the area, but my fiancé is and this is a family favorite. We have been there countless times for dinner, drinks, and even my fiancee fathers surprise 50th birthday party. Their food is always amazing. But what makes Honu so special is that they have, hands down, some of the best service. They were extremely helpful and attentive during the 50th birthday party. And, when we went recently, we asked a small favor, in which we were going to pay. Upon hearing how often we come, they immediately said yes and the manager even came out to talk to us. They are truly amazing. We are also looking into hosting our engagement party there. We will always go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avoid Thursday nightsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/31/2014Went on a Thursday night. It was difficult to get wait service. not enough servers were around. Food was OK for the price. The braised short ribs were dry. Unfortunately, the restaurant turns into a night club on Thursday night. That means drunk guido idiots who think they own the place and bar fights. STAY AWAY !!!!!!!
- outstanding!eat2liveDined on 7/26/2014Excellent menu with many options good selection of speciality drinks. Very attentive staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeArgoldsteDined on 7/25/2014Waiter was great- good food- great people watchingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappoints!FranVIPDined on 7/19/2014In an area where there are dozens of restaurants Honu is a great restaurant with a great variety of food options. Our waiter Sal was amazing! Hubby had the huge steak salad. I had the pumpkin tortellini and tuna/crab cakes. All food was fresh & cooked to perfection. Try the coconut martini! Quality all around at this restaurant. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- great trestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/12/2014great time. great food. great scene. can't wait to come back. i have zero complaints. it was perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- elcieDined on 7/12/2014Went with a small group of friends and was so pleased with our choice of this restaurant. The place was full, energetic and had a lively atmosphere but still able to have conversations without shouting above the noise. Loved it and would definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/11/2014Quite a few of our dishes, water glasses, and utensils were dirty. The food was of poor quality. I had salmon which was bland and was served on a big blob of quinoa. The food was totally unappealing and lacking in good flavor. It reminded me of diner food. We were extremely disappointed as we had read good reviews. The ambience of the restaurant was very nice. I would never return or recommend this restaurant.