Hong Kong Lounge II
3300 Geary Boulevard
San Francisco, CA 94118Neighborhood:
ChinesePrice: $30 and under
Hong Kong Lounge II
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: 4156688802x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 10:30am - 2:30pm; Saturday - Sunday: 9:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 8:30pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Dim Sum, Chinese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please make inquiry with Hong Kong Lounge management.
- Private Party Facilities: Our private room seats up to 30 guest. Our main dining room seats up to 100 guest. Please inquire with management.
- Private Party Contact: Kenneth So 4156688802x
A word from Hong Kong Lounge II
Located in Laurel Heights/Inner Richmond, Hong Kong Lounge II is the sister restaurant to the ever popular Hong Kong Lounge.Continued
Come join us for dim sum during lunch and traditional Chinese dinners!
Come join us for dim sum during lunch and traditional Chinese dinners!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Hong Kong Lounge II reviews from OpenTable diners
77 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (48)neighborhood gem (46)good for groups (37)special occasion (18)great for lunch (16)kid-friendly (14)great for brunch (11)hot spot (9)great for outdoor dining (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Reuben SandlerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/19/2014Absolutely outstanding Chinese restaurant. Good for any number of diners, but the more people, the more dishes to try. We were three of us and ordered well, but still looked at dishes being served around us with envy. The noise level could be quieter--there is no screaming, just a lot of happy people filling the space.Special Features:
- Quality food and servicefavidVIPDined on 10/17/2014Very good service by helpful and pleasant waiters. Change plates with each course. Each dish has unique flavours. One of our favorite neighborhood restaurants.Special Features:
- best chinese food in san franciscojonathanDined on 10/17/2014finally great chinese food in a city which should have dozens of alternatives . cannot wait to return . easy to park and easy to get to from downtown for us out of town regular visitors . great service .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK food but overpriced.LuvSuiMaiDined on 10/17/2014Presentation was above average unfortunately food was just average with mean portions and out-sized prices.
- excellent food for special occasioncharmedlifeDined on 10/13/2014my friends and i were celebrating a special occasion and we all came here for dinner for the 1st time. ambiance nice, place settings were elegant and they change the plates frequently if you like, but we opted to seldom do that due to water shortage. we all picked out a dish and were very pleased with the presentation and taste. the chilean bass was cooked perfectly, resting on tofu, prepared as individuals pieces, no bones. i chose the coffee glazed pork ribs and could not be happier. it had a very distinctive coffee tast but the pork taste was also not lost.we had fun sharing all the desserts. the dessert buns are so delicious.it is a bit pricey for our budget, but definitely worth it and memorable for a special occasion like ours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best, againbruce09VIPDined on 10/11/2014I have eaten at Hong Kong Lounge for a few years and it has always been great. The dungeness crab in ginger and scallions is my favorite, along with salt and pepper fried chicken wings, and chicken fried rice. We had a few Saparo Beers, and enjoyed a great dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local dining at it's bestSPICEOFLIFEDined on 10/11/2014Been going to this restaurant regularly since it opened. Ken & his team's attention to details, service and hospitality has always been nothing less than superb. Their attention to food quality and consistency is amazing. I wish them all the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicous but too noisy!theoVIPDined on 10/8/2014Food was delicous, service great, but for large parties (10 people) the noise level was unbearable! One could only hear the person to the right or left of you. Why dine with 10 when you can only have conversation with 2? When paying good money to enjoy the company of your guests, this is not acceptable. Large parties should be in the back room to keep the noise level in the main dining room comfortable for all! Love the food, unfortunately because of the noise level I will not be hosting another dinner party at this restaurant unless there are changes made.Special Features:
- #1 Cantonese food in town!PockyVIPDined on 9/22/2014Hands down, this restaurant serves the best Cantonese food in San Francisco. Ingredients were fresh, dishes were not too salty, and everything was tasty. I've been there for dim sum as well as dinner and both were exceptional. The service was prompt and excellent. And the restrooms are clean!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Chinese restaurantChunheisiuDined on 9/19/2014This is surely the best Chinese restaurant in the neighborhood. If you are a student from USF you would surely enjoy this restaurant.!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Fresh!AngeliqueDined on 9/19/2014This is a small restaurant with attentive service and food that clearly was prepared just moments before serving. They have some old favorites, like roast duck, but many items not seen on the usual Chinese food menu. Specialty is seafood, and the crab and lobster are alive right up until they are cooked. The waiter brought two live, squirming lobsters to the table next to ours so the diners could choose their food. Because of the last-minute prep, some dishes were delivered after the ones we'd intended to have with them, but it was worth the wait. Be sure to be clear about what you want in your take-home bag- they assumed we didn't want the rest of our rice, so we wound up with plenty of entree leftovers and no rice to put them on.Special Features:
- Best Chinese in SF!susiekVIPDined on 9/17/2014Hong Kong Lounge II continues to be one of the best Chinese restaurants in SF. Every time I go the food is outstanding. My favorites are the Shanghai dumplings and the crispy chicken, but all of it is fantastic.Special Features:
- Fun and DeliciousSFnestDined on 9/10/2014Helpful, courteous, and knowledgeable staff. Excellent, creative and above all..delicious food. Went to celebrate a birthday and no one in our party had a negative thing to say about this restaurant.Special Features:
- The Imperial Peking DuckLaBuVIPDined on 9/2/2014We love duck and ordered the Imperial Peking Duck as one of our dinner courses. This was the only dish that disappointed us. Really, Peking Duck is not served with the meat still on the bones! The kitchen never deboned the duck. Go to Beijing or even the Peking Duck House in Manhattan and you'll find the duck meat boneless. That's the way it is customarily.Special Features:
- Best Chinese I've had in a long timwaffleconeDined on 8/30/2014And the service was impeccable, which was completely unexpected :)Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/30/2014Early dinner res, 10 ppl, seated immediately and asked about drinks. We skipped the pre-set banquet menu for a la carte. Excellent Peking duck, crispy skin chicken, pea shoots, beef & yellow chive chow fun, sea bass w/tofu (double orders on some things). Had a couple more dishes. Could've ordered more, given the size of our group, but we all came away with enough to eat, and all thought the food was really good. Service was prompt and efficient; they changed out our plates midway through. Will definitely return!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Westernized Cantonese FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/27/2014Very nice westernized dining of good Cantonese food at western prices (pricey). Noise level not too loud, at least at midweek, and service staff very nice. The food is well prepared but not hot when it comes out. The dishes are sweetened with sugar with touches such as house made whipped cream! We did not try that ( coffee glazed ribs with house made whipped cream), so maybe next time, if we want more fusion.
- Great as alwaysFoodeeVIPDined on 8/26/2014Great food & service. Been going here since it opened. Never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Authentic-Enough ChineseOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/23/2014Overall, very very good food. There are some American-influenced dishes, but there is enough overall authenticity to provide license to deviate westward. More importantly, the food is just darn good. In particular, the deep-fried items (e.g. salt and pepper calamari) are some of the best I've ever had. The service is good, and the place is clean and un-chaotic without being unnecessarily posh and polished.Special Features:
- Delectable Chinese CuisineJadeGal2Dined on 8/17/2014This is my first time dining at HK Lounge II since reading Michael Bauer's review. The menu consisted mainly of seafood and dishes I have not experienced before in its creation. We ordered the winter melon soup which consisted of an excellent rich flavorful chicken broth with huge chunks of melon and chicken in a big pot suited for a party of 6 (we were just 4). The presentation of the honey walnut prawns, eggplant with shredded pork, chicken chow mein and sea bass with tofu in black bean sauce was excellent. The flavors of all the dishes had depth, not highly salted and no grease. We ordered durian pasty, mango pudding, and sesame balls for desserts that were heavenly. A bottle of pinot grigio complemented the food.Special Features:
- TobalaVIPDined on 8/10/2014Always wonderful. My favorites are the Vietnamese Prawns, the Coffee Spare Ribs and the Peking Duck. For desert, the black sesame balls are a wonderful treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big groups dominateBroseVIPDined on 8/2/2014Tables of 6-10 dominate the space making it noisy. We had to wait over 15 minutes after our reservation time but I'm glad we stayed. Once seated, we were attended to and got our drinks (beer & wine only), tea (delicious and partially steeped before serving - yay!) and water. There are lots of choices - and everything we ordered was tasty, with high quality ingredients and piping hot out of the kitchen. Serving hot foods means you don't get the food in the order you'd expect - one entree arrived before our small plate appetizers, but that's ok as we were all sharing. We loved the hand roasted chicken, soft-shelled crab, salt & pepper ribs, garlic noodles with shrimp and very fresh and tasty pea shoots. It's always busy here so reserve.Special Features:
- Just for early Dinner49erDined on 7/28/2014Great service. The food was fresh and delicious. Parking was easy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!sf4meDined on 7/27/2014I've been coming here over the years and has always satisfied. The menu has changed since the last time I visited (used to have family style fixed price options), but there were more dinner dim sum choices, which is great. And, the dim sum is excellent! Service was attentive and polite. When the others in my group were significantly late, no one bothered me about it. Maybe it was because they were busy with a very large group (hence the noise rating) that took up half the restaurant, but I appreciated the gentility of the situation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious! Can't wait to come back!sweetbooDined on 7/24/2014Good quality food, nice selection with vegetarian options. Delicious and interesting mushroom/tofu dish. Loved the veggie steamed dumplings. Excellent seafood fried rice. Interesting and fun desserts! Loved the sesame balls. Friendly, polite and prompt service. EXCELLENT HOT SAUCE! They really should bottle it and sell it. Nicely balanced, flavorful, provides excellent heat but doesn't kill your taste buds.Essential part of the meal! Portion size a bit small for us with some dishes, but we left feeling full. Lovely neighborhood spot. We ate early (6 pm) and enjoyed a leisurely dinner. They did not rush us at all! By the time we were done the restaurant was packed and there were people waiting outside! We'd definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantasticknlyDined on 7/23/2014i usually don't go out to chinese food, but this was fantastic! the service from the moment we walked in was so nice. and then the food was all delicious. nothing greasy or flavorless like a lot of places. we had: shanghai dumplings, fish maw soup with crab, crispy salt & pepper sofr shell crab, peking duck, green beans, and the sweet rice with sausage and shrimp. amazing. can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost PerfectRayCVIPDined on 7/15/2014Everything was great....but they left the bones in the peking duck which was just weird.Special Features:
- Not a good dinner placedcm94117Dined on 6/28/2014The food was well done and service was great, but at 7:30pm on a Friday it was packed. One mid-sized room with high ceilings, no dividers, 3 or 4 round tables with 8-12 people at each one. So it was a night of shouting. We 4 got seated at a very small table that didn't quite hold all of our plates and dishes. Also, we made reservations for 7:15 and didn't get seated until 7:45. Also a $15 corkage fee, which I guess is standard. Partner said it's incredible for dim sum. Also cheap. Go for lunch.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014Great food. Room is to noisy!!!!!! They don't allow you to split checks and don't take American ExpressSpecial Features:
- Great Chinese in the cityRaymondVIPDined on 6/26/2014Our dining group loved everything hear except Lemon Chicken which we found too sweet. Peking duck was fabulous and no need to order ahead. Pumpkin soup was special. All Dim Sum items great. Wok lamb was fabulous. Almond balls, Durian pastries, sesame balls, and the very large water chestnut pastries were all very good. Our fussiest diner found nothing to complain about, a unique eventSpecial Features:
- Great service, food but a big missSkydogDined on 6/26/2014Some good dishes, such as Mongolian beef and Vietnamese prawns. But a few were uninspired like salt and pepper sole. Little fresh chili and light on flavor, no five spice in the breading and the sole looked like fish sticks, though portion was generous and fresh. The pea shoots with abalone and mushrooms were the leafy type, not my favorites, because they don't have as much flavor as the stringy variety that has a very clean, fresh taste. Dishes are modestly sized and a bit pricy. Also a big miss-- they have a policy where they refuse to split a check on credit cards. So, we had to scramble for cash to reimburse the couple we were dining with who put the bill on their Visa. VERY customer unfriendly. Otherwise, service was excellent.Special Features:
- The following 79 reviews are from the Hong Kong Lounge II reviews archive.
- SuperDoodelsVIPDined on 6/22/2014Great authentic place. We had 40 people in the private room for my granddaughter's birthday party and it was fabulous. Ken is wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hong Kong Lounge IIkatfoodDined on 6/22/2014Very good Chinese food in a mix of unfamiliar and familiar choices. Great vegetarian dumplings, bacon with fish cakes, pea sprouts, fish maw soup. Friendly effective staff. Two areas for improvement; dishes arrived in random order (entree before soup?) and early kitchen closing (8:30 on a Sunday) meant no dessert. Good price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great Chinese foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/21/2014The food is excellent in this neighborhood gem. Wide selection of Chinese dishes, some not all that often seen on menus. Service was prompt and the server was very knowledgeable about the menu. Reservations are a must. They honored our open table reservation exactly on time. We will go back often.Special Features:
- Overly popularOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 6/19/2014Unfortunately Hong Kong Lounge II appears to be having some growing pains adapting to its newfound popularity, after being named the best Chinese restaurant in San Francisco. Despite making a reservation this evening for 7 p.m., our party of three was not seated until after 7:30. When checking in, the host assured us that our table was "almost ready", and he repeated that same phrase at least three times in the intervening 30 minutes. However, it was only when we inquired a third time about the status of our table that he admitted our table was not only ready, but that it had been sitting empty for some time. He apologized for not alerting us sooner, as we had spent the majority of time waiting in a cramped and crowded vestibule.Special Features:
- Fit for foodiesFoodtips4uDined on 6/13/2014The only problem we had was our table was not ready for at least 20 minutes, maybe a bit longer...there is no waiting area..just standing in a drafty entry way. However, the meal was worth waiting for. My husband' s mother was an exceptional Chinese chef and she would have enjoyed this meal. we look forward to returning and trying their steamed fish.Special Features:
- True to The BookingCSR4280Dined on 6/12/2014Never having used Open Table before, I decided to give it a try per my daughter's input. I scheduled a reservation for a specific time and we were seated a little before the scheduled time. The place is always packed. So it was great being seated right away. Having worked in the food business before, I can appreciate HK Lounge having our table ready to go. The food is always consistently delicious. Though the place is always busy, wait staff is consistently patient, accommodating and attentive. Believe me. No small feat. No hesitation here in recommending HKL to anyone looking for a great place to eat with friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointed. No spark.LilianeDined on 6/7/2014Should I say more? The SF Chronicle review raved about the place and finally we took friends there promising them an authentic meal. Very disappointed. The dishes are "dumbed" down and sweetened for that local ( ?) taste and it was quite pricey. There are hundreds of Southern Chinese restaurantes in SF to choose from, I do not think we we give them another try. The other restaurant of same name is by far more authentic and better. Don't understand the food critique's review.Special Features:
- Average at bestlocalVIPDined on 6/7/2014The ingredients of the dishes were of good quality but the flavors were flat and bland. I'm not sure how this restaurant got high marks by the local critic. Pricing did not match the results.Special Features:
- What a Great Find!campbellpDined on 6/6/2014Absolutely amazing food -- great Dim Sum selections, beautifully served. Menu items outstanding. Beautiful preparation and presentation. Decor charming, and wait service wonderful. Also very obliging, I called to change time of reservation and was quickly accommocated. We sat in the back room and loved the intimacy there. Can't wait to return and sample more menu items. I can hear the Peking Duck calling me.Special Features: