5403 College Avenue
Oakland, CA 94618Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.isquaredrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (510) 658-4400
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Nory Madjlessi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please call Sadri Madjlessi to arrange for your next catering event. He can be reached at 510.658.4400. The executive Chef and Manager will meet with you to make sure that your needs and your guests' needs are met.
- Private Party Facilities: The dining area can accommodate up to thirty-eight guests. The restaurant is also available for buy-outs.
- Private Party Contact: Sadri Madjlessi 510-658-4400x
- Special Events: We would be more than happy to be a part of your next special event. Please contact Sadri Madjlessi to discuss your upcoming party. He can be reached at 510.658.4400.
A word from Homespun Fare
Classic Comfort food with a Full Bar and open kitchen.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Homespun Fare reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (13)fit for foodies (7)kid-friendly (6)good for groups (3)great for lunch (1)romantic (1)special occasion (1)late-night find (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Exceptionally good, affordablejeaneatsDined on 11/8/2014Amazing value for delicious, well prepared food. Title is Homespun and the food does have comfort elements - mashed potatoes on pork chop or steak entrees - but it is also up to date and even the vegetable sides are delicious. Try the polenta fries appetizer. Decor is tasteful and well thought out. Small, intimate room. Service excellent and friendly. This restaurant deserves to be jammed at all times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Give it a shot, you won't regret itSFNICADined on 10/4/2014Excellent food and service! It was curious that aside from our big table there were no other customers... this really made no sense considering how good the food was and how friendly everyone was. I highly recommend getting lots of dishes (big and small) and sharing them. Don't hold back!Special Features:
- Really nice placeOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/19/2014The food is good and the service is beyond excellent. We went here for a birthday, and the server made the birthday girl feel like a queen. It's a great neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:
- I square do-oversanfranfemVIPDined on 9/16/2014I had high hopes for this inexpensive place in an upscale neighborhood. Maybe it's growing pains. Owner was the only wait staff/bartender and they were busy. Long wait for mediocre food. Eggplant parm was not baked and was a plate of mushy eggplant with sauce and cheese on top. Side of chicken breast was the best thing on the table. Not sure if they'll get a 2nd try.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 9/13/2014I really wanted to love this place. It's cute and has a nice neighborhoody feel, but the food really was just fair to middling.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/23/2014For some reason they did not get our Open Table reservation, but found us a table anyway. Service was a bit slow, but friendly. Food very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty indeedGreenieVIPDined on 8/18/2014Love the lamb-multiple spices infused cabbage wrap. FLAVOR GALORE! Server was superb...what a great, welcoming smile! Looking forward to when they start serving brunch...menu top secret...we asked but no go. Parchment tilapia divine. Garlic smashed hit the mark. We'll be back.Special Features:
- The following 228 reviews are from the Homespun Fare reviews archive.
- Amazing foodConsistencyDined on 7/18/2014We always have a well made cocktail with our dinner. Homespun makes real food, so it takes a bit longer than some restaurants. We have never had a bad dish there. Don't be fooled by typewritten menus. The food and cocktails will be what you come back for.Special Features:
- Great food, good timespkeenanVIPDined on 7/7/2014We had a little family get together the other night. There were 8 of us and although they never showed a table for 8 we got creative and booked a table for 4 on my account and another table for 4 on my sisters account. We called the restaurant and told them our situation and they kindly pushed the two tables together to accommodate us. That made for a great dinner. For you Belgian beer drinkers out there, they serve Westamalle Triple. An all-time favorite of mine. Wine selection was good as well. A splendid time was had by all.Special Features:
- Quiet eleganceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/21/2014We had great dinner wonderful I salad with warm mushrooms and goat cheese. Lamb shanks were excellent with artichoke hearts. Bar drinks were well prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/12/2014We went with our two kids and the server made us all feel very welcome. We started with the polenta fries, which were very tasty. I had the fish in parchment paper which I had a love sauce on top that was creamy yet very light. My spouse had the cabbage wraps which he loved. Overall, it was an enjoyable dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food not good, service notgreatviewDined on 3/5/2014Food not good, service not fabulous, hardly anyone on the joint, poor wine selection.
- A Work In ProgressBeenThereVIPDined on 2/14/2014Not really ready for prime time. Friendly, courteous and energetic staff. Feels like a small, owner-run ethnic restaurant, but what could go wrong did - despite their best efforts. Mushroom pasta arrived piping hot and tasty, just w/o any mushrooms among other missing ingredients. They brought the mushrooms later, on the side, when we pointed that out. No comp offer on that. Maitre d said chef too busy, despite the place 2/3 full on a $55 price-fixe night. Asked for bread 5x - finally brought some w/ o butter or oil. Overall, pace of meal a bit slow, but they're trying. I would consider returning if prices were 2/3 of what they are currently. I don't see them surviving on this street otherwise.
- Great food, not pretentiousbbbbDined on 2/12/2014Had a wonderful date night here. I love the restaurants on college avenue, but some of them are a bit more upscale and pretentious, and rightly so. Homespun fare is a nice, romantic venue, with outstanding food. It's another great place to go when you just want to relax and have an excellent meal. The muscles were a bit bland but the balance of savory lamb and spicy/sweet sauce in the cabbage wrap as well as the intense lamb shank flavor balanced by the creamy sauce were fantastic. One of the best meals I've had on college ave.Special Features:
- Neighborhood hot spot!DandAVIPDined on 1/18/2014Great food wonderful service huge portions at a very reasonable price. Can't wait to go bavkSpecial Features:
- Needs some work....GEC12Dined on 11/23/2013Although quiet and clean (therefore pleasant) the food was completely average. In addition, I requested that all sauces and salad dressing be served on the side and the kitchen never got that right. The restaurant also charged for bread service which never suggests a "classy" establishment. I predict this restaurant will only be around briefly.
- Hip Setting For Cheffy Comfort FoodKittyVIPDined on 11/15/2013The interior is hip and modern. The menu is limited, but all the choices sounded good (nothing weird). The prices are really good. Entrees for $11 and $12. Well drinks for $6. Extensive inventive drink menu too. The waiter couldn't have been better. Attentive but not smothering. The food was delicious. Meatloaf was not only baked, but was finished on the grill. Creamy mashed potatoes. Veggies were a little bit oily. Don't expect huge portions. They served us the right amount of food and we didn't have leftovers, which is what I expected for the price. We look forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingKeriDined on 11/15/2013Three words: paid for bread. And got just three slices. The rest of the dinner items were similarly chintzy. My eggplant parmesan was pretty good. My husband's meatloaf was over cooked, dry and tasteless. That's pretty hard to do to meatloaf. I was disappointed that they didn't have a kid's menu since they have one on OT. Won't go back, but hope they make some simple changes. I wish them well.
- Just OKOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/7/2013The food is nothing special. The prices are very reasonable ($10 main dish) which is why I wasn't upset when my pork chop came out like a hockey puck. The appetizers are smaller than tapas proportions. The service was good and the atmosphere is nice (I can't even remember it clearly now though) but nothing made me want to go back for a second try. If you never go you are not missing anything.
- Excellent food, great ambiencekellyVIPDined on 10/16/2013Perfect spot for a casual dinner with great food and ambience that won't break the bank. Polenta lasagna and meatloaf with garlic mashed potatoes, just delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only open for 10 days? WowLibbyDined on 9/20/2013Only open for 10 days? Wow this is a gem of a new restaurant in the midst of many other good choices. I would pick Homespun Fare over them all the next time I go out to eat! Excellent new place!Special Features:
- Newly opened, good food andBobmanDined on 9/11/2013Newly opened, good food and not crowded as so many restaurants are on this street. Good wine, food, and service; no bread was available. They need a baker or a supplier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Below average food, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/22/2012Food was edible but far below average. I can't say that I would consider any dish that we ordered as good. Server did not know if they made a fresh lemonade or not. It turns out it was a mint lemonade and I hate mint. She never said it had mint, only that she wasn't sure if it was fresh. We won't go back. NOT recommended!
- Definitely recommendedMichaelVIPDined on 12/11/2012We have been to I squared about 4 times and it's always good. Interesting, tasty food, nice wine selection and wonderful staff. Definitely recommended.Special Features:
- I squared is a gem!srtsVIPDined on 11/16/2012The food at I squared is excellent: everything from the apps to the main course was tasty and fun. The stuffed cabbage was outstanding and their signature salad was great, as was the hummus and baba ganoush. The homemade ice cream and dessert was fantastic, too. The prices are reasonable and the quality and flavors are outstanding. The service was professional and charming. A full bar and a good wine list make this restaurant just about perfect! Enjoy!Special Features:
- Definitely a neighborhood gemMichaelVIPDined on 11/3/2012I2 is a wonderful little restaurant, with friendly, helpful staff, a cozy ambience and an excellent menu. We like the Iranian-influenced meals, for something a bit different, and they are really outstanding. This was our second time there and we'll definitely keep returning.Special Features:
- It just gets bettercornuDined on 10/12/2012We've been to I Squared several times before, but everything was especially good on Friday night. The cabbage wraps were especially sweet & hot - simply wonderful. The fish in parchment was fresh and delicious.Special Features:
- Even better 2nd time around!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/28/2012Second time there...we love it. The service and food were just excellent.Special Features:
- Small restaurant serving Iranian/ItMbk333VIPDined on 9/12/2012Small restaurant serving Iranian/Italian cuisine. Unusual and tasty cocktails. Mussels plump and delicious. Calamari ok. Both rather small portions. Meat dishes good. Waiter very attentive.Special Features:
- Food was good. Server wasanniversaryDateVIPDined on 9/8/2012Food was good. Server was pleasant and engaging and attnetive. We arrived at 6pm, so at first we were the only ones in the place, but it got busier and busier as time went on. I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Enjoyable DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/28/2012We thoroughly enjoyed our meals at this restaurant. Though the menu is somewhat limited, we were able to find several tasty dishes that appealed to our mood that evening. The calamari was excellent! We highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- WonderfulMichaelVIPDined on 8/25/2012We had driven past I Squared many times and wondered about the Italian-Iranian idea. Finally decided to try it, and found it was fabulous! Interesting menu, and the food was beautifully prepared. We had mainly the Persian dishes because they were different and we were impressed. The staff were very attentive and friendly, and the cost was very reasonable. This is another fantastic restaurant in the College Ave district. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Excellent Service and FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/23/2012Not only do they have great food and exceptional service, they give back to the community. I came here for an event called "Dine for Justice" which is a program that provides legal services to the underserved. I Squared donated a portion of the proceeds to legal services organizations. The service is enthusiastic and food delicious. I've been twice since the event. This has become one of my "go to" restaurants.Special Features:
- KateOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/11/2012We love this restaurant! Everything was perfect from food to service. If you haven't been....u should go!Special Features:
- I love this restaurant andOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/6/2012I love this restaurant and the friendly service - waitstaff and chefs. Delicious Veevy Acai cocktail, cabbage rolls, mango caprese, mussels w/ saffron (!), lamb shank, prawns kabab and pasta dish, divine flourless chocolate cake.Special Features:
- Sat at the bar for dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/25/2012Sat at the bar for dinner after the owner/bartender asked if I was sure did not want a table (during a very busy night). Cocktails were superb and food (best calamari ever) and service was proactive, prompt and top-notch (you feel they are mindful of your presence) and feel you are feeling personally attended to with all your needs met but not in an obsequious way. Ordered an Americano (how many even know what this is), asked me how many shots I wanted (nice gesture) and was served piping hot (how refreshing). Excellent, excellent, excellent and shall go back again, again and again.Special Features:
- It's a small space with lotsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/21/2012It's a small space with lots of tables. We shared a table for 6 with one other couple. It can get a little loud with larger groups in the restaurant. The Food was AMAZING!! Loved it! We had the Asparagus with pancetta, the ground beef kabaab (perfectly seasoned), the beef fillet kabaab(very tender and fell apart in our mouths), rice, and the Cannoli. It was all great! We will have to go back again to try the teramisu because they had ran out by the time we ordered dessert. We did have to ask for our wine twice and it took a while for our appetizer to come out. But overall great experience, good food, and we will be back.Special Features:
- Go with the Great Iranian FlavorsWillVIPDined on 7/19/2012Great flavors and decent portions. Service was attentive without being overbearing. I preferred the Middle Eastern flavors over the Italian ones.Special Features:
- most outstanding item wasmorecandyDined on 7/19/2012most outstanding item was a drink called a bellini. food was disappointing. parking was difficult. i would not come back to this restaurant.
- Great food, but quite noisy.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/14/2012Great food, but quite noisy. Recommend going early to beat most of the high decible crowd.Special Features: