Home Hill Inn and Restaurant
703 River Road
Plainfield, NH 03781Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Home Hill Inn and Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.homehillinn.com/
- Phone: 6036756165
- Hours of Operation:
Saturday and Sunday: Brunch: 10:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Peter Varkonyi
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Home Hill Inn and Restaurant has been for many years the premier wedding venue in the Upper Valley. We are now offering off site catering for specialty wine dinners, rehearsal events and any other home entertaining needs. Relax and enjoy your company as Home Hill Inn comes to you.
- Private Party Facilities: Breakfast, brunch, business lunches, Hors d" oeuvres and cocktails, corporate or private dinner parties, anything is possible. Our smaller dining room, The Gallery, features work from local artists as well as a cozy fireplace and intimate settings for small, boardroom style meetings, private luncheons or executive dinners. The Gallery is perfectly suited to accommodate parties of 15 or less. Our dinning room has a capacity of 65 people as well.
- Private Party Contact: Krystal Beauregard 6036756165
A word from Home Hill Inn and Restaurant
Home Hill Inn and Restaurant welcomes you to one of the Upper Valleys best kept secrets. Our chef's innovative twist on cuisine classics has made Home Hill Inn a favorite among local regulars and guest from all over the world. Chef Peter Varkonyi's connection to local purveyors, fuels his seasonal and ever changing menu selections. Home Hill Inn's restaurant utilizes the bounty of the Upper Valley and supports its neighbors and local farms. Breathtaking views, soul satisfying meals and attentive service makes Home Hill Inn the ideal location for special functions, corporate retreats, family reunions or a just a casual night out.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Home Hill Inn and Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
- Great place.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/14/2014Wonderful service and a great location. Highly recommend and will go back many times myself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- top-rate menu and preparation,dickDined on 11/29/2013top-rate menu and preparation, equivalent to 1-star michelinSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Table for 10kehlsDined on 11/23/2013We were welcomed graciously on a frigid night by a hostess who took our coats, ushered us to our table in a spacious room with a fireplace, and took our drink orders. Even though there were many restaurant guests, the service was rapid. The cuisine was innovative and outstanding!Special Features:
- EnjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/13/2013Pleasant and enjoyable, will dine again, service was great!Special Features:
- Excellent cocktails and atmosphereSenorCincoDrinkoDined on 11/12/2013Home Hill is a local gem with a focus on locally sourced food and a great cocktail menu. My wife and I love that they are now serving more "tavern fare." The food is consistently good and the presentation excellent. Order the cheese board as an appetizer! The bar is top notch. The cocktail menu is quite impressive and creative, with plenty of homemade syrups and some barrel-aged cocktails. Easy on the absinthe rinse! My only complaint is that some members of the waitstaff appear to be relatively inexperienced for a restaurant with fancy (and appropriately priced) cuisine. They do not lack for effort or friendliness but could use a little seasoning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What's not to like?MarkEDined on 11/12/2013I went on a Thursday night, with the wife, brother, and sister-in-law. We sat in the tavern enjoying $2.00 Harpoon on draft, live folk music, awesome food, and on that particular night, Whistling Pig Rye was there doing taste testing. Our server was friendly, prompt, and welcoming. We had a great time, and we'll be going again soon. Mark E.Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/31/2013Food and menu is amazing, lots of local products offered. Warm friendly atmosphere. Only complaint wished they offered better desserts. Their dessert menu just doesn't stand up to their main menu and drink menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The cheese board was dissappointingmaryDined on 10/27/2013The cheese board was dissappointing, small amounts of cheese and not much to go with it, such as crackers. The eggs benadict was fair, the lobster was not wonderfull, not much flavor. The desert was good, but very small. We recieved a lovely tour of the rooms, as we were the only guests at the inn. We will try again, but would not recommend the lobster or the cheese plater. We would like to come back in the summer and eat outside. Beautifull grounds, staff very nice and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Home HilldinerDined on 10/19/2013Food was good, but unappealing to the eye. Noisy. I remember this place when it was a Relais & Chateaux and it does not begin to compare. Service was good and the server had a good knowledge of the dishes, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambience below expectationsMarcoDined on 10/19/2013Dining room was large with high ceilings, tables were well spaced, however as the room filled, we could hear the conversations of others nearby, and we needed to raise our voices to hear each other comfortably. Loud music was playing when we arrived at 6:30 - Frank Sinatra singing tunes, eventually this ceased. A beautiful fireplace which would have warmed the room considerably had it contained crackling logs, had been converted to a faintly flickering shadow of its former self with "virtual logs" and a gas flame. The service was average and the food above average. This is not the setting for an intimate dinner - one expected a cosy and intimate setting rather than what was more akin to a banquet dinner in an elegant retirement community.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorite spotsRide2eatDined on 10/17/2013Another great meal at Home hill, and wonderful service too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 miles beyond the beaten trackharishariDined on 10/5/2013Home Hill is a pleasant 5 miles from the strip malls of West Lebanon, NH, off of Interstate 89, exit 18, located on scenic River Road. The atmosphere of the grounds is idyllic and the building is stately. Service was excellent and thoughtful. Though the menu is only one page, there were a variety of choices ranging from lobster rolls or a hamburger to Filet Mignon, as well as appetizers and side dishes made from local ingredients. Being a native of Chicago, I know a good Filet Mignon when I taste it, and theirs was the best I've had since moving to New England 15 years ago. We also had the roasted Halibut on a base of braised leeks - yum. Dessert was warm peach pie, which I thoroughly enjoyed with my friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inattentive to detailsBeenAllOverDined on 10/2/2013We went to Home Hill for a 70th birthday, arranged in advance in painstaking detail. The hostess and the waitstaff were unaware of any of the pre-arranged details, blunting the surprises. And then there were significant "We're out-ofs......" on a short menu, so we had to order something we didn't really want. While the food is very good and the ambience is special and the room blissfully quiet, for a small restaurant they need to brush up on customer service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Country Inn delightweezermobilusDined on 9/29/2013delightful staff and beautiful setting on rural country lane. No rush. Great brunch meet up place but the lounge is cozier than the larger diningroom if it's Sunday. Try any of the eggs benedict dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful staff and chefRobAndKristinDined on 9/8/2013This was a last minute find, and a hidden gem on the back roads of NH. Where else can you say you are in the mood for something diffent to your wait staff and a few minutes later they arrive at your table with a one of a kind breakfast creation that is not on the menu? A great place to spend a Sunday morning Champagne brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but...JulieDined on 8/17/2013we were very excited by several items on their online menu such as the duck fat poutine and they did not have it on their summer menu. They had not updated their website and part of the reason we chose the restaurant were the choices on their online menu.. The prices on the two different paper menus we were given did not match as well : on one each cheese of the cheese board was $5 and on the other one it was $4. We also asked for more bread and were told that they did not have anymore bread (on a Saturday at 7pm), which was strange. The food was very good and very well presented. I enjoyed my meal and my wine. We just had high expectations I guess. I still recommand it but do not check their online menu, it is useless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favoritesRide2eatDined on 8/15/2013We've had numerable great dining experiences at Home Hill, and this was one of our best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local RegularsEMSNHDined on 7/26/2013Home Hill Inn is a gem in our rural community. The chef is extremely talented - the food is always good. It is great for a special occasion but they have created a separate pub area in order to broaden the opportunity for more casual dining. There is a patio that is used if the weather is good, The grounds are beautiful.Special Features:
- DisappointedBoffDined on 7/3/2013The food was over priced and not the special quality it should be be for that price. Serving sizes were good. I got the lamb and it was overcookd and quite fatty for what I expected. That halibut was good for my wife. We went hoping for a very special evening and ended up feeling that it was a good rather than very special dinner.
- Disappointing Night OutKittyjoeDined on 6/28/2013My husband & I are the parents of three teenagers and we had a rare night out opportunity. I choose Home Hill because we hadn't been there in 18 years and wanted to try it again. Seemingly nothing has changed. Same old decor and sleepy ambiance. The menu was lacking and was confusing at best. Limited apps, pub fare and main entrees that included rabbit and goat meat. Side dishes were extra so they charge $4.00 for a 1//2 cup of mashed potatoes lacking in flavor. I ordered the duck and it was chewy. My husband ordered scallops that came drowning in a miso sauce. We chose a blueberry crisp for dessert to share that was cold in the middle. Our server was inexperienced and nervous when asked about menu specifics. Would not recommend.
- GREAT alternative in western NHbostonlarryVIPDined on 6/14/2013We had our second very special dinner at HHI. The food was outstanding: excellent reasonably priced cheese platter, short ribs and soft shelled crab. The young people who wait tables are entirely professional and good fun. There are four (count them FOUR) ambiances to pick among: outdoors in a beautiful country setting, two nice formal dining rooms, a bar with music and "the gallery", which is next to the bar but much quieter (our choice). We need to drive 30 minutes from Canaan to get to HHI but it is well worth the effort.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new chefRoboDined on 6/1/2013We had not been to the Home Hill Inn restaurant since the Inn changed hands some years ago, and took a chance for a very special lunch my wife and I have annually. Everything was quite perfect. Great, quiet, beautifully decorated dining room, complete with period oils on the wall. Superb menu and the new, young chef is simply outstanding. I had the soft shell crab and it was better than any I've eaten in New York, DC, Baltimore, etc. Fine wine list at most reasonable prices. We're going back often, and especially for important, romantic occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!food4funDined on 5/26/2013The food was wonderful and the service attentive. An expansive wine list and great local menu options. It is on the pricier side, but it's worth it - perfect for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always fresh!YummytummyDined on 5/12/2013Chef is creative and contemporary. Meals are cooked to order from fresh, local ingredients. They list, or can tell you, all the local farms from where each ingredient may be found. Excellent meats and perfectly cooked. Service is great. Comfortable yet fine dining. No children's menu but accommodate for little ones. A definite must if in the Upper Valley. It is an Inn too but I have not stayed there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the Best in the Upper ValleyRod1515Dined on 5/11/2013We truly enjoyed our meal. One of the best dinners we have had in the Hanover NH region.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Picture perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/4/2013We've dined at Home Hill many times and it's a beautiful place. Peter, the chef, keeps the menu sourced locally ( as in often right from River Rd. ) and keeps traditional items updated and interesting. With other items they delicious, playful, and creative. The staff are knowledgeable, welcoming, and provide outstanding service. It can be a special occasion place or your mid-week place. highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was absolutely delicious!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/30/2013It was absolutely delicious!! The donut rolls were incredible, and everything from the sweet potato apple soup to the four different desserts was fabulous! YUM--we will be back, and soon.Special Features:
- Cute riverside innChrisVermontDined on 3/17/2013Great place, refined food, service a bit slow, but we enjoyed taking our time by the fireplace.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Home Hill delivers time afterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/15/2013Home Hill delivers time after time-- with the food, atmosphere, service and the incredibly friendly and professional staff. We love the Pub Room, but all the dining rooms are warm, welcoming and very comfortable.Special Features:
- Great Food and ServiceLarryVIPDined on 1/6/2013Excellent. The best duck. We were pleased with ever aspect of our meal and the superb service.Special Features:
- Granted I was there for anOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012Granted I was there for an occasion with a pairng menu.... The first course was an artisanal cheese plate. My husband's plate had a chunk of rind for his Tarentaise. He found it very difficult to get the good cheese out. In course 2, squid was substituded for scallop in a ceviche without notice to the guests. Maybe I'm dumb on the next criticism but "Fois Gras" was a terrine, and a very good one, but not what I expected. And it was served with a very inexpensive Riesling that was flat to me by the time I got mine.. Good notes - The crab bisque, and the butternut rissoto were superb and the veal entree was the best I' ve ever had.Special Features:
- Beautiful and Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/30/2012We went for brunch on a snowy winter day. As we entered we were greeted by a smiling hostess who took our coats and showed us to our own private room tastefully decorated in winter and holiday evergreen trimmings and a christmas tree. There was a fire in the fireplace and the table itself was immaculately set with shining and clean dinnerware. The view was terrific as well. The children were accorded a lot of attention and left my daughter feeling like a princess. There were 'petit confiture', teas and coffees and when the food arrived everyone agreed it was very delicious (I had baked eggs with lobster- SO GOOD!). Afterwards we were able to meet with Chef Peter and marvel at his creative and delicious creations.Special Features:
- What an amazing experience...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/13/2012What an amazing experience... Can not wait to go back!Special Features:
- We did not look at the wineChefVIPDined on 12/2/2012We did not look at the wine list so cannot comment on wine. Excellent food and pretty inn.Special Features:
- We visited Home Hill the nightBobGVIPDined on 11/23/2012We visited Home Hill the night after Thanksgiving. They had two groups show up unexpectedly shortly before we arrived. While they offered to show us to a table they admitted we would probably have to wait there for a bit and suggested a seat at the bar. They brought us bread, served us tasty cocktails and made use feel welcome. The menu was just about the right size, plenty to choose from yet not so much that we felt overwhelmed with choices. Everything we had was delicious. The chef stopped by once during the meal and though we knew he was busy he spent a few minutes with us, unhurried, to chat. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit and hope to return. A note, the restaurant is 4 miles down a dark road. It is worth the journey.Special Features:
- Amazing in every way. I hopeMargeandbrettDined on 11/18/2012Amazing in every way. I hope to have many more delicious dinners there.Special Features:
- Not An Optimal MealOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/9/2012We are locals but have never been to Home Hill. It came highly recommended. Mid-week and off-season allowed us to have a quiet dining room. We ordered the cheese plate, which I highly recommend. A variety of 6 cheeses, crostini, fresh honey comb and grapes. I had the halibut, perfectly cooked and a very large portion. My dining partner had the roasted chicken which she described as "sub-par". She asked to substitute her side with the turnip and carrots offered with another dish. They did so willingly. Unfortunately it came out on top of the chicken as a mashed gravy, making the dish look a bit barbaric. For dessert we had the creme brûlée and it was burnt. Overall, it was not the perfect meal but we have decided to give them another chanceSpecial Features:
- Food was excellent - superbOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/12/2012Food was excellent - superb flavor. Large open bland dining room seemed discordant with an old colonial inn.....
- Country CharmerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/10/2012First visit. Nice, simple but varied menu. Beautiful old Inn with tray ceilings and great charm. Food was very good and prices seemed fair for this type restaurant. I'd definitely go back!Special Features:
- We had a wonderful meal atOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/7/2012We had a wonderful meal at Home Hill. The service is excellent. My entree was a few minutes delayed and the chef sent out a small tasting of cheese. Very considerate. Also one of our favorite waiters from another local restaurant has joined Home Hill. The setting is so lovely . We will go back soon and will recommend Home Hill to our friends.Special Features: