70 Yorktown Shopping Center
Lombard, IL 60148Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.holymackerelseafood.com/
- Phone: (630) 953-3444
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday-Saturday 6am-11am, Sunday 6am-Noon
Lunch: Monday-Sunday 11am-4pm
Dinner: Monday - Sunday 4pm-9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: David Rolon
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
- Catering: The Chart Room is an elegant, comfortable private room for up to 50 guests with large leather booths and vintage nautical maps and charts. Larger parties of up to 550 guests can be accommodated in Harry Caray’s adjacent banquet rooms and choose from menus that include many items from Holy Mackerel!
A word from Holy Mackerel
Holy Mackerel! combines fresh seafood, fresh cocktails and fresh design. Menus are printed daily to offer only the best and freshest seafood available--none of the fish has ever been frozen. Along with fresh fish, Holy Mackerel! features a selection of fresh cocktails made from fresh ingredients. The interior is a fresh take on vintage design. Upon entering Holy Mackerel!, guests are greeted by a dramatic wall of water and an inviting bar. The sophisticated yet casual dining room features large-scale murals depicting vintage Chicago lakefront scenes, wood wainscoting and fully upholstered leather chairs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Holy Mackerel reviews from OpenTable diners
19 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (10)fit for foodies (9)good for groups (7)romantic (6)notable wine list (4)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (3)neighborhood gem (2)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- happy1Dined on 11/15/2014Excellent food and atmosphere. Service was good. Great special drinks. Had the Holy Mackeral drink and it was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KMG3Dined on 10/26/2014Great Breakfast spot if there is not a large party also there in the party room. Our service suffered because of it. Otherwise it would have been 4 star.
- good foodnierfanDined on 10/10/2014my husband and I enjoyed our food tremendously. Our server was also pleasant and engaging. I would recommend this wonderful restaurant to others.Special Features:
- Holy cow!SpartacusVIPDined on 9/13/2014The food and service was absolutely top notch here. We had a party of 8 and no one was left wanting at any point. And the fresh seafood! The absolutely best swordfish I have had in my life (and I'm AARP eligible). Too bad I'm from out of town as I'd dine here nightly!Special Features:
- RugbyDined on 8/6/2014Good, quiet place for lunch. Service was very good; food was fine - nothing exceptional. Luncheon menu needs additional seafood selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 360 reviews are from the Holy Mackerel reviews archive.
- Great, fresh seafoodDGCKDined on 5/11/2014We love Holy Mackerel for celebrating special occasions. The seafood is very fresh, and the service is attentive. We brought two kids (age 6 & 9) this time. There was an OK kids menu, though I wish there were more seafood on the kids menu and less fried & junk food (ie hot dog) for them, though we were happy to have broccoli as a side dish for the kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RodneyVIPDined on 5/2/2014Food was good, but restaurant is in reality a pass through to Harry Carey's. Restaurant could benefit from a redesign that would improve walking patterns.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Place to DineEat2BeHappyVIPDined on 4/6/2014The staff is very friendly and attentive to their guests...I love their breakfast but the lunch and dinner menu is absolutely outstanding. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unbelievably badlocalDined on 3/15/2014service was terrible, one waiter working a huge room. ordered a steak with a 1/2 lb of cold crab legs...crab legs came out steamed and no steak knife, had to wait 5 minutes before getting a waiter or bus boys attention for a knife. they then brought out cold crab legs on a plate that must have come right out of dishwasher as it was too hot to even touch. I told the waiter and his response was "if i had grabbed it from the kitchen i would have said something", and he walked away...the bus boy walked around the room asking tables publicly "did you order this?". the crab for being "flown in daily" had almost no flavor. overall a brutal experience
- expected moremjk28Dined on 3/14/2014Holy Mackerel is the sister restaurant to Harry Carey's in Lombard. The restaurant (versus the bar area) was very nice and the service was very well done. However, I was disappointed in the food that I received - Seafood Risotto. As Restaurant Impossible would say, the food was bland and I did not feel the passion. At 27.00 dollars, I expected more seafood and less Risotto but since only the Risotto had any flavor at all, I guess all that I could have expected. The servers were good and the hostess was the best part of my experience. I don't think I will be back.
- I found my experience to beIslandChicGolferGirlVIPDined on 3/10/2014I found my experience to be a bit flat. The food was ok and staff friendly but I was not wowed.Special Features:
- not that satisfiedbabymamaDined on 3/8/2014Filet mignon was tough. Waiter slow. Food on water glass got stuck in the back and was dining next ti a pole.Special Features:
- The food was excellent; notOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/8/2014The food was excellent; not one of us was disappointed in our selections. We had the option to order from either the Holy Mackerel menu or the Harry Carey Steakhouse menu, which was a nice option. The service was very good although our waitress was also servicing a large party in an adjacent room which slowed things down. That same party was extremely noisey with several loud voices. Once they left the dining experience became much more enjoyable. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to friends and family. This was our second visit and we will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IncredibleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/28/2014Everything we ordered was delicious! I loved the fact that there were so many options. Because of that it makes me want to go back just so I can try the other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LUNCH EXPERIENCELynnieDined on 2/22/2014We were very disappointed in this restaurant as we thought it was a seafood place and had planned on getting some very good seafood. We were surprised there was really only one fish offered. I don't think I would go back here nor recommend it.
- Chicago prices in LombardFrancoisVIPDined on 2/15/2014Good food and service but there are better options in the same general area.Special Features:
- Amazing Food Great Environment!almd0915Dined on 2/15/2014The restaurant was very nice with kind and attentive staff. The manager stopped by more than once to see how we were doing. My fiance and I were very impressed with the food. Amazing dishes and a huge selection! I wish we could eat there every day! Our dinner was romantic, comfortable, and quite good.Special Features:
- Thank you Susan!jhitchVIPDined on 2/14/2014Our evening started a little questionable when tables seated after us were being taken care while we sat patiently waiting but thankfully the astute observation by a nearby server(Susan) who noticed after 10-15 minutes that our server had not been to see us yet, offered to take our drink order and then kindly took care of us for the remainder of the evening and all was well! Susan was a delight! The crab cake appetizer and clam chowder soup was fantastic. The tilapia entree was plentiful but was just ok. And the deserts were delightful! Thanks Susan and management to making sure the evening was special!
- Great first impressioncoachDined on 2/14/2014First time there and will be back after the great first impression. Very friendly staff with great food and service. Fancy dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was fantastic. GreatxrcxVIPDined on 2/14/2014Food was fantastic. Great variety of menu items and with so many choices we will definitely dine here again. The pacing however, was inconsistent. It wasn't busy but, there was an unusually long delay in some menu items being brought to the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Holy Mackerel Valentine Early BirdIrishDinerDined on 2/14/2014Holy Mackerel is a nice compliment to Harry Carey's at the Westin Hotel in Lombard. The staff was friendly and accommodating, especially for a busy night of Valentine's dining. The menu offers a variety of seafood entrees and a select number of non seafood entrees as well. The wine selection is above average relative to the number of selections, however there were not many moderately priced wines listed by bottle. Plenty of higher end selections. Overall a nice ambience, the food was prepared as expected and served while still hot and sizzling. Overall a very positive experience and a recommended dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- V Day 2014hikeybikeyDined on 2/14/2014I had the crab and gorgonzola flounder. It was rich and delicious with a very generous portion. The crunchiness and acidity in the vegetables on the plate were a nice accompaniment to the richness of the fish. My boyfriend had the seafood risotto and it was not risotto like at all. It almost seemed as if they brought him the paella instead. He liked it well enough but not as ordered or described. The seafood was fresh though. I do like that you can order off the Harry Caray's menu as the beet with goat cheese medallions salad and the tiramisu were both from that menu and both terrific. The last thing which was a bit annoying is that we booked late so could only get early bird (5:30) reservations and they never filled up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingMarilynDined on 2/1/2014The price of my husband's dry aged steak didn't match the flavor-it was cooked perfectly, but was flat & really lacked the beefy flavor a steak of that calibur should have . Perhaps they no longer get their meat from Allen Brothers? I had the special-risoto w/duck and it was delicious, but a little on the boring side. It was flavorful, but the presentation was poor & the plate lacked color. It could have used a small side that brought a little color to the plate & offered an additional flavor to compliment it. As it was served, it looked like a spoonful of casserole at your great aunt's. The ambience is always nice, but the quality of the food was really disappointing this time & didn't at all match the price. Not sure we'll go back.Special Features:
- Up and Beyond; Great ExperienceEat2BeHappyVIPDined on 1/29/2014Every time I go there it get better and better as far as the service is concerned and their meals are always delicious. My last dining experience was absoultely perfect because I there to celebrate my boyfriend's birthday. I can't stress how wonderful and friendly the staff is and the food was superb. You MUST try their Seafood Salad and Espresso Caramel Ice Cream! It's out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I like this place.cubs4everDined on 1/18/2014It is connected to Harry Carray's which is great because we wanted a quieter spot but were able to order off the same menu.Special Features:
- Excellent choice for brunch.Eat2BeHappyVIPDined on 12/29/2013I highly recommend Holy Mackerel for those who want a nice quiet place for breakfast or lunch. Located inside the Westin Hotel.Special Features:
- Holy Stuffed Flounder!GamokeDined on 12/23/2013We dined on a Monday night, and although the attached Harry Caray's restaurant had a nice crowd, Holy Mackerel! only had a few diners, so I am unable to rate the noise level any higher than low. We ordered the delicious oysters as an appetizer and jumped straight into the entrees. I can say that the crab and gorgonzola stuffed flounder was absolutely amazing. I recommend giving this place a visit just to try this dish. The service was good, as it should have been with the amount of tables that needed tending to. The drinks were made well and the atmosphere was very nice and comforting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Dependable Crowd PleaserpmetzDined on 11/24/2013This was my first time at Holy Mackerel and I was quite impressed. The service was friendly, prompt and attentive. The lunch menu was limited (compared to their dinner menu), but had a good variety and something for everyone in our party. All of the food was very good. Wines were a bit on the pricey side, which I've come to expect at many restaurants. I would definitely go back. More details... we went for lunch on Sunday, during a Bears game. The restaurant was empty - literally. There were a few patrons in the adjacent bar area. Our server was excellent. Calamari appetizer was nicely done, but not special. The tomato bisque soup was really good. Kids shared a flank steak and devoured it. The pappardelle was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really goodLuv2eatDined on 10/26/2013The seafood was very good, drink choices were many, good ambiance for 4 people to talk and catch up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food!SherryBDined on 10/19/2013We have been patronizing the Holy Mackerel for over a year now, and it never lets us down. The food is delicious--the fish tacos and rack of lamb are absolute musts! Our favorite server always remembers us and greets us with a hearty , warm hello each time we're there. If you are in the galena/Elizabeth area, this is a must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some DisappointmentCharlieDined on 8/31/2013N E Clam Chowder tasted like Bean w/Bacon. Goat Cheese salad only had a 1/2 tsp of cheese, few crumbles nuts, dressing tasted like straight vinegar. The Crab and Gorgonzola Stuffed Flounder had a beautiful presentation and mine was delicious. However the other person in my party said he hardly had any fish and the stuffing was mostly cheese. ??? Our peach/mango mojito's were good; but, I only tasted the peach. Key lime pie was not tart enough. Wait staff not overly attentive. Bar area extremely loud. No candles on the table or any type of lighting to read the menu. Our only salvation was that we asked for the blinds to be opened so that we could get some outside light while it was still light enough outside to see the menus.Special Features:
- The Best Sea Bass ANYWHEREOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/9/2013The oyster sampler is outstanding (you get six fresh oysters each of which are from a different area.) My husband and I go to Holy Mackerel every other Friday for Sea Bass. It's a bit pricey ($36 /ea) but is worth every cent!Special Features:
- Some standout dishes!SweetWillieDined on 8/1/2013To start we split the warm crab & brie dip w/garlic crostini. Rich & decadent, a terrific starter. Per the exec chef's suggestion, I had the scallops. Dry pack scallops w/a potato bacon hash over sweet corn puree and chive oil. I inhaled the dish, I was very pleased with the perfect doneness of the scallops, the mixture of sweet potato & white potato hash with big rough cut chunks of bacon, followed by the sweet corn puree/chive oil. Delicious. New at Holy Mackerel, when one sits down, you are given the menu to Holy Mackerel but also Harry Caray'sI would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorite restaurants.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/27/2013One of my favorite restaurants. No matter what you order it's always good. And you can order from Holy Mackerel's menu and from Harry Carray's menu so you're getting two great restaurants in one.Special Features:
- WonderfulMmmmmVIPDined on 7/27/2013Who would've thought in land-locked Oakbrook you'd find such a great fish restaurant? I had amazing salmon with mustard/maple glaze. Not overdone, moist and flavorful, I could've used a squeegee for the glaze. My husband had stuffed flounder that he said was like eating crab legs, not all of the bready stuffing you sometimes get. Kudos to Harry Caray group for creating a wonderful restaurant. The ONLY negative was the key lime pie. It was good, but not great. The waiter recommended the tiramisu, should've gone with that.Special Features:
- Food has gone down hill!GB88Dined on 7/27/2013I stayed at the Westin for a conference and ate frequently at Holy Mackerel two years ago. The quality of the food seems to have diminished considerably. The tomato bisque was fabulous at lunch, as was the chopped chicken salad. But pancakes were rubbery, and both the chicken Vesuvio and linguine al pollo used the same overly salty nondescript sauce. It was very disappointing, especially since two years ago it was really quite good.Special Features:
- Seafood in the Western SuburbsDeannaDined on 6/17/2013You no longer need to drive to Chicago to find great seafood in an elegant setting. Comfortably appointed Holy Mackerel fits the bill. Good service. No hassle parking. City dining without the commute. I can recommend the fresh oysters, the crab & gorgonzola stuffed flounder, and the seafood risotto. Be aware, desserts are large! We drank wine with our meal, but took note of the beer list. It would be nice to see local microbrews added to the menu to go with those delicious fresh oysters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mother'sdayOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/12/2013indifferent service, too much cheese in everything and overall there's no reason to return.Special Features:
- Shares the kitchen with HarryRandRVIPDined on 5/11/2013Shares the kitchen with Harry Caray's so their a lots of great menu choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/10/2013Consistent in quality and good service. Helpful staff. Not a late-night place (kitchen closes around 9:30). The individual banana cream pie is worth the visit!! Made in house!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.