Holy Mackerel Seafood Grill
4854 Longhill Road
Williamsburg, VA 23188Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Holy Mackerel Seafood Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.holymackerelseafoodgrill.com/
- Phone: 7572080222x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout
A word from Holy Mackerel Seafood Grill
Holy Mackerel Seafood Grill offers both fresh and local seafood with a casual and unique dining experience that will leave you saying "Holy Mackerel"!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Holy Mackerel Seafood Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
- The service was great. MyDaysDined on 2/21/2014The service was great. My food was ok. My husband really enjoyed his dinner. I think Red Lobster is better at the same price. There isa llittle more of a variety of non seafood items than RL.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014Service was great. Made a reservation and was immediately seated. Food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK, food was great BUTDrJohnVIPDined on 2/15/2014The service was beyond excellent. Our waiter was informative, responsive, and down right considerate. Don't miss this place folks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's Day DinnerLenzDined on 2/14/2014We had reservations for dinner here. I forgot to include that my friend is in a wheelchair which usually isn't a big deal. We saw a perfect spot to sit but it was up a few stairs. No worry for the staff here. They assisted me with helping her up there. That impressed me before anything. We ordered the fried oysters appetizer after we were seated in our cozy corner. The oysters were great. I ordered the crabcakes after reading good reviews about them online. These were some serious crabcakes. She had the ribs. Nothing against the ribs, but this is seafood restauarant. She initially wanted some fish, but changed her mind. Never go away from what you are tasting because what you get will never seem good. I like this place and will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved every moment..OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014From the moment my wife and I entered this restaurant, everything was fantastic, the service, food, beverages, and price. Looking forward to coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice spotOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/10/2014Nice atmosphere good service. Reasonably priced. Cod fish bite appetizer was awesome! Very fresh and tastey. Had the all you can eat crab legs for $20 a Monday night special and it was good. Would definitely go back if we didn't live 3 hours away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood findTasteteamVIPDined on 2/1/2014Decided at the last minute to go out for dinner on a Saturday night. and try something new. We were not disappointed. Holy Mackerel is located in a small strip mall. Easy parking and access. No particular ambience. Paper napkins. Pricing very reasonable. 8 large scallops ( grilled), asparagus, hush puppies, baked potato. All for $23. Oysters $16 for a dozen. We definitely will go back.Special Features:
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/31/2014Great Food tonight! The crab cakes were amazing! The smoked wings, great! Erin, our server, was polite, knowledgable, and fun! Definitely a must if in Williamsburg!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Holy Mackerel!!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/1/2014The Crab Bisque was incredible - we bought some to go for the next day's lunch!! We asked for a half rack of the ribs for a shared appetizer and they were wonderful - the pork just fell off the bone. My husband had the Nawlins Skillet and I had the Crab Cakes - both were delicious. I would like to point out that there were just three tables dining when we were there - and the hostess sat us in booths adjacent to each other, which was quite disappointing, as it made conversation challenging,as we ended up between the two other parties. We did not share the same server - so this wasn't the reason for the crowding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood!BurgladyVIPDined on 12/31/2013It was refreshing! Enjoyed it! Recommend the ceasar salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better then expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/31/2013Much better then I expected for a restaurant in a strip mall. The menu had a lot of great seafood choices. All the food we ordered was fresh and tasty. The portion sizes are great for the price. We started with steamed spiced shrimp for our appetizer, they were seasoned and cooked well. Everyone in our party was very please with their entrees. Everyone ordered seafood dishes. We tried the Blackened Tuna, Sea Scallops, Grilled Salmon w/ Pineapple Salsa, & Fish and Chips. The Tuna and Scallops were standouts. Also, the hush puppies that came with every entrée were very good. Our waitress was attentive and very polite. Our only complaint was that the cocktails that we ordered were slow to arrive.Special Features:
- Great for casual dinner. FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/29/2013Great for casual dinner. Food was good. Would go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Seafood at A fair priceKen108VIPDined on 12/13/2013Holy Mackerel was great. Their Fried Lobster was outstanding and the Fish and Chips are the best in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodMikeDined on 12/6/2013Just a place to get God food in a friendly atmosphere.I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be back!OutoftownerDined on 12/5/2013We went to the restaurant because we always use OpenTable when we are out of town. We were not let down! The food was very good - we had a variety of seafood appetizers and a salad for dinner. Everything was very good.
- fishing for foodpackratDined on 12/1/2013We found this place hunting on open table so we decided to give it a try. We going to newport news on sunday and this was just off longhill road and close to rt. 199. I had the scallops and they were done just right, asparagras was fresh and cooked over a open flame. Wife had fish and chips, fish was flakey and large with great flavor. Only negative I saw was a empty place as we were the only people besides the wait staff. This place needs to do more advertising as it's a great place and it's back in a strip mall with no signs on the road that I saw. Please don't let this place die for lack of customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best kept secret in Williamsburg VAOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/30/2013We stumbled on this restaurant in an unimaginative-looking strip mall near my sisters house just after Thanksgiving. It was GREAT! We weren't expecting much, but didn't want to battle the crowds of the historic area, so thought we were 'settling.' Our party had a variety of dishes, ranging from scallops to crab legs to fried oysters (and we are all pretty picky 'foodies'.) We were delighted with everything! AND, it was quiet enough to be able to chat (becoming a lost art for restaurants these days.) The seafarer's ambience works well, as does having ae separate bar area. Try the eggnog-tini for the holidays...it was sublime!) A wonderful find...we'll be back and will make it part of our regular annual Williamsburg pilgrimmage.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodMooselodgeRVDined on 11/22/2013Nice selection of food and beer! Good food and good service. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeafoodLrBarbieDined on 11/15/2013My scallops were scrumptious, cooked just right with yummy sides.Special Features:
- Loved itCallDined on 11/5/2013We have eaten there before once for dinner and another time for lunch as usual it was great. When we arrived they had out table ready set with waters, napkins and table ware. The lobster special was cook perfect and just the right size tail. With the option to purchase another for about 1/2 price if one was still hungry that would be a good idea. Ours got fried shrimp which is a large serving fried just right. Salmon was the please of the other guest and one plate was completely cleaned and the other taken home in a box for lunch. All in all a great place to eat good, fresh seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My husband and I lived inOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/21/2013My husband and I lived in Williamsburg from 2008-2010. We visited this past weekend for the first time since we left. We decided to try Holy Mackerel, since it was not there when we lived in the area. We are so glad we took a chance. I could have eaten the shrimp and grits all evening! The flavors and texture were perfect. Delicious! My husband ordered the Nawlins Skillet for his entree and I had the crab cake dinner. I'm from the Eastern Shore, so I'm very picky about my crabcakes! Holy Mackerel did not disappoint. Plenty of lump crab meat and not too much filler! My daughter enjoyed the smoked ribs. We will definitely return to this restaurant the next time we visit the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SatisfactionGpasullyDined on 9/20/2013This is my 3rd visit to Holy Mackeral and it has not disappointed on any occasionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatWakeForestFoodieDined on 9/14/2013Holy Mackerel is a pretty odd looking space. They are located in a strip mall and the restaurant is clearly a space that was originally designed for a different business that has been modified for their purposes. They've done a pretty good job dressing it up, but there's only so much you can do. The service was great and everyone we encountered was very nice and very helpful. I want them to succeed but I also need to be honest. My meal was not very good. I got the mixed seafood with a 'jambalaya-like' sauce. Unfortunately I found it too be way too spicy, and I like spicy. There wasn't a whole lot of seafood, but it was cooked beautifully! I just wish the sauce hadn't been so hot.
- Nice place for a seafood dinnergmertVIPDined on 9/14/2013We all enjoyed our dinners. I had the taryaki salmon which unfortunately continued to cook in the hot skillet they serve it in. I will have to try some others options next time. The restaurant offers nothing for the celebration of an anniversary or birthday as some others do, so might not be the best place for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great addition to Williamsburg areaRichWDined on 9/11/2013Visited for first time on a week night after reading reviews in local media. My wife had the seared scallops that had been previously reviewed as outstanding, and she was not disappointed. The other lady of our party of four had the crab-stuffed flounder which was the special of the evening, and enjoyed it as well. Her husband and I each had the Nawlins' skillet, which I have to say was one of the best Creole dishes I've had recently. A generous portion of Jasmine rice covered with a thick, spicy Creole sauce with shrimp, scallops, and Andouille sausage. The sausage was particularly good with a nice smoky flavor. Overall, everyone enjoyed their meals as evidenced by four clean plates (something I personally am rarely able to do).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for elevated pub fairShannonphotogalDined on 8/31/2013We had a group of 8, including 1 vegetarian & 3 picky eaters under 12. There were plenty of tasty options, including a blue box/Kraft Mac & Cheese for the youngest. The shrimp and grits was well-seasoned & the grits were silky goodness. The cod for my fish & chips was lightly battered & not greasy. The side plates of vegetables that we ordered were cooked to a nice al dente & tossed in a nice salty butter. Even the side salads had fresh ingredients & weren't treated as an afterthought. The veg version of the pasta had an abundance of veg & the flat pasta noodles were well seasoned & delicious. The Alaskan King crab legs & the scallops were fresh & tasty, a far cry from the usual overpriced/poor quality seafood buffets we've had in the past.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just ok foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2013The staff here was great, they were very attentive. The seafood here was ok, but nothing special, ok spot to stop for a quick bite.
- Just what we wantedETonVacationDined on 8/28/2013Very good food and service. Not expensive, but fine dining for sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Must Try When in Williamsburg!RedRooDined on 8/27/2013We gave this place a try b/c of other reviews. So glad we did. They had great appetizers, food selection, and kids meals (only $5 & $6) came w/ a toy they could pick out! There is an attached game room w/ arcade games & pool tables which kept them occupied while we enjoyed cocktails and the rest of our meal. We started w/ clam strips and cheese sticks (for the kids). My hubby and I had the Ahi Tuna which was sizable & superb! My mom had the crab cakes and loved them! What's not to love? Good food, good drinks, good time had by all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our new go-to seafood....karenmDined on 8/24/2013We spend about a month at Ford's Colony each year and were delighted to discover this restaurant last year. We had a lunch and then a dinner that trip - this trip we were only able to have a dinner there. Brenda did a WONDERFUL job bringing us anything we asked for everything we forgot to ask for. Fried shrimp platter - excellent. Fish and chips - excellent. I usually ordered broiled fish but wanted to sample what our grandchildren might order. Crispy french fries were hot and perfect. Cole slaw mild and yummy. Shrimp golden brown and delicious. Next trip we'll be sure to schedule at least one lunch and one dinner here....Highly recommend !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Holy Mackbl413Dined on 8/24/2013Staff was great -- we had a new waitress -- 1st night and she did a great job. The rest of the staff kept checking to make sure everything was OK. I had the Shrimp & Jasmine Rice which was very good. My hubby had the ribs which were good -- but not the best in town. When in Rome!! They really really really need to replace the bread they serve. We'd go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OkayJoycVIPDined on 8/24/2013Second time at this restaurant and it seems to have fizzled a bit. Food was mediocre and bland. Service is very good, though.Special Features:
- Holy Mackeral is right on!retiredtransplantsDined on 8/17/2013Menu was inviting and varied, staff attentive but not hovering, food delicious, what should have been cold was cold (like butter and sour cream) and what should have been hot was hot (like the plates and food). Raw oysters were freshly shucked and served on ice, with sides of seafood sauce and extra horseradish. Crab cakes fell apart with large chunks of crabmeat. The asparagus was grilled --never finish my green veggies but these were yummy. Fried oysters? To die for!! No need to travel east or west to get better oysters--these are scrumptious!! Finished our meal with a shared chocolate mousses in a huge martini glass. It doesn't get any better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Growing GemSsnsailorVIPDined on 8/17/2013New restaurant at an old location. We were two couples trying this out for the first time. We were very pleased. All Dishes were presented well and very tasty. Very good selections. Certainly well worth checking out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time we tried it.CindyDined on 8/11/2013The seafood was very good. The crab cakes were as advertised - lump crab and very little filler. The tuna, prepared as ordered - very rare, was excellent. The restaurant does lack atmosphere so I wouldn't rate it a date-night kind of place. It's a neighborhood restaurant serving excellent seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We ordered a dozen oystersLauraVIPDined on 8/2/2013We ordered a dozen oysters (half raw, half steamed). The steamed half arrived first and a couple were overdone. The raw ones took a while longer to arrive. The staff was excellent - apologized and brought us extra hush puppies. Overall, a good, casual dinin experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Fish FindJeffVIPDined on 7/31/2013We had grilled salmon and it was some of the best I have ever had. The she crab soap was the same, absolutely excellent! I am going back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingrobjpVIPDined on 7/22/2013Food was very average. Clam Chowder tasted like the milk was scalded, fish was average.
- Worth hitting upmjmdcVIPDined on 7/20/2013We were staying at the Williamsburg Plantation. It was right next door. We liked our food and this is worth going to for a quick dinner.
- Dropped in for a "test" runSkywalkerDined on 7/19/2013Dropped in for a "test" run and was very pleased with the food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.