Hollins House - Pasatiempo Golf Club
20 Clubhouse Rd
Santa Cruz, CA 95060Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
Hollins House - Pasatiempo Golf Club
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thehollinshouse.com/
- Phone: 8314599177x
- Hours of Operation:
Happy Hour: 4:00pm-5:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday-Friday 5:00pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Californian
- Executive Chef: John Paul Lechtenberg
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a private room with a fabulous view and fireplace that comfortably seats 20.
- Private Party Contact: Margy Seifert 8314313231x
A word from Hollins House - Pasatiempo Golf Club
Hollins House Restaurant is conveniently located on the Pasatiempo Golf Club Property. There is not a more spectacular setting or view in all of Santa Cruz. Atmosphere, view, location, food, service...we have it allContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Hollins House - Pasatiempo Golf Club - Best Restaurants in Santa Cruz ›
Hollins House - Pasatiempo Golf Club reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (44)great for outdoor dining (40)special occasion (28)romantic (22)fit for foodies (18)good for groups (15)neighborhood gem (14)notable wine list (8)great for brunch (8)kid-friendly (4)great for lunch (3)vibrant bar scene (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Great dining experience!thewineguyDined on 8/14/2014The first time we went to this restaurant with two other couples who have been to wonderful restaurants all over the world and thought that the overall experience at Hollins House equaled or exceeded that of Michelin star restaurants. The French onion soup with shallots and the cheese infused as foam was amazing. The service was attentive and friendly, and you can't beat the 180 degree view of Monterey Bay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Event EveningNVSVRDined on 7/31/2014We tried Hollins House for their first All American BBQ night and it was fantastic -- live music, outdoor dining, and a great atmosphere. The food was excellent with brisket, chicken, ribs and sausage served family style on a metal tray for the table. A wide assortment of sides were available ala carte, and nothing was less than extraordinary. The brisket was the best we have ever had anywhere. Service was excellent despite a very busy night. Levi, our server, helped make the evening memorable, but everyone with was helpful and very friendly. Although this was the first event, we were told that this BBQ will be repeated at least bi-weekly. So if you are in the mood for a casual, but excellent dinner, check it out!Special Features:
- Great tapas and outstanding sceneryBusyMomDined on 7/22/2014You cannot beat sitting in the outside dining area with a sweeping view of the Monterey Bay. The view combined with great food, makes for a special treat! We came here for Tapas Tuesday. Our favorites were the calamari salad, the lamb, and a great wine list. The staff was very attentive, and we were seated in a great spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic views / Incredible mealzoegrlsDined on 7/17/2014We chose to eat on the patio. Fantastic views of the bay beyond the lights of Santa Cruz set the tone for an incredible meal. From the wonderful seared ahi appetizer to the perfectly prepared lamb and sand dabs, everything about our meal was delightful. The roasted beet salad with puff pastry filled with goat cheese mousse was outstanding. Service was very good though the staff seemed to be spread a bit thin by a large party in the main dining room. Everyone was quick to make sure all of our needs were taken care of. They brought several heaters to the table when the temperature dropped and offered to move us indoors at any time. The waitress was knowledgable and helpful with suggestions about both the menu and drink list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous food, best viewGeoHilDined on 6/27/2014New menu with amazing dishes. The lamb was particularly delicious. The view is unbeatable and never a problem to get a table. It always amazes me that it isn't busier. Service was slow but we weren't in a hurry. Seemed like most of the staff was new and a little clueless. Grandkids love to play on the lawn while we enjoy coffee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas Tuesday DisasterLoveHappyHourDined on 6/24/2014My friend and I decided to try out their new Tapas Tuesday. They seated us at a lovely table out on the lawn, but then forgot we were there. No drinks, no food, nada. After 30 minutes, we got up and decided to move to the bar area where, perhaps, we would be more visual. When they saw us moving, they made a big fuss over us and apologized profusely. They got us drinks, 2 breads, and our fries came about 25 minutes later. The calamari was inedible, and they comp'd us for that. For the most part, we continued to be ignored. We had to flag down a wait staff to get another drink, and at one point, I brought our glasses of water up to the bar for refills myself - since no one came around to check on us. Just a very bizarre experience.Special Features:
- tapas tuesdaytomnkarenDined on 6/24/2014a group of us dined at Hollins House for Tapas Tuesday. It was the first time for this new event. The eclectic menu was very interesting and each dish delicious. Even our picky eater found 3 dishes that he loved. The wine list is very good and service from Levi was the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas TuesdayKate26Dined on 6/24/2014We just found out about this gem so decided to go to Tapas Tuesday and sit on the patio. We ordered drinks and 3 tapas in short order and in minutes all 3 tapas came out. About 15 minutes later the drinks came out. An all too typical scenario in Santa Cruz. The bar didn't seem that crowded and there were plenty of servers so don't know the cause. The food was lovely, we ordered 3 more tapas and a glass of wine each and all was fine. The bill came to $80 without tip and the tapas allowed us to exercise portion control. Was it worth the ambiance? Who can afford this on any kind of regular basis? I would still highly recommend checking out the site and at least enjoying a beverage on the patio. It's stunning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner!frequentdinerDined on 6/18/2014The filet mignon was superb and the service was great. There was a men's golf event dinner so the noise level was very high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never Again !localDined on 6/6/2014This was a VERY DISAPPOINTING experience ! What was suppose to be an after graduation dinner turned out to be a shouting match for conversation to compete with the loud bar noise. Not at all what our group of seven was expecting. We should have left before the disappointing food arrived 39 minutes after we ordered! The salmon was dry and over cooked. The sand dabs (only three) was, I think disguised Talapia. And to sum it up nobody in our party thought their meal was good. This was a "Don't ever go there again experience".
- Consistently top notchNervousKnitterDined on 5/29/2014Hollins House food is always fabulous, the specials are unique and delightful and the service staff is on top of every need. The specials are always terrific. I had an appetizer of sautéed calamari with a vinagrette and hummus and it was amazing, the beet and goat cheese salad is mouth watering. Portion sizes are more than adequate and are beautifully presented. Their specials are always unique and always delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas TuesdayjudyVIPDined on 5/27/2014We had a table of 4 outside in the beautiful patio area. It was a goegeous evening. Our server was quick efficient and very friendly. The Tapas were delicious, just the right size and served on a very timely manner! Excellent! I encourage everyone to join in on the fun at Hollins House Restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The view of the bay is spectacularBestVIPDined on 5/24/2014We had a great table, adjacent to the windows, overlooking the Monterey Bay. I started with the Caprese salad which was unique and very good. My wife had the ribeye steak and I had the salmon, both were outstanding. For dessert we shared a brownie with salted caramel and ice cream, yummy. The service was outstanding. "Ken", originally from Argentina, was our waiter. He said he's been there now two months, was extremely attentive. We highly recommend this restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FrequentdinerfrequentdinerDined on 5/20/2014Great Tuesday night tapas! Service and menu getting better each time I go.Special Features:
- lovely setting for taoasrshorensVIPDined on 5/20/2014We went for tapas Tuesdays at 5 pm. Perfect weather, gorgeous view, great selection, delicious food, moderate prices. Loved the Mojito special. Felt like the private home it once was!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My ReviewHenrispeaksDined on 5/13/2014Fun concept, great music, excellent food, unbelievable setting, friendly service.Special Features:
- very disappointedNittlerDined on 5/11/2014My parents in law have lived in Pasatiemp for 50+ years - we were excited to have Mother's Day Brunch but it was such a disappointment!
- Mother's Day BrunchTaraDined on 5/11/2014Lovely brunch spread, beautiful location, view. Very friendly helpful service. Only drawback, no choice to eat inside if you wanted or table selection outside. I assume this was due to volume for holiday. However we arrived early and after finding out we HAD to sit outside, we were also told we couldn't choose being in the sun or shade even tho there were no other guests there yet. So that was a bit frustrating, as I had some light sensitivity. Luckily a place in shade "opened up". Also very windy that day. Overall very nice day, just maybe a good idea to give guests info regarding choice of seating before arriving. Thanks!Special Features:
- Not as requestedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014In making my reservation I specifically requested indoor seating. My wife is very fair and sunburns easily. When we arrived we were told our table was outside. I protested and stated that my reservation requested indoor seating...this was not an issue with availability as there were approx 12 tables set up inside and only one was in use during our complete meal. We were finally seated in a porch area that was shaded.Special Features:
- Great nightBoochDined on 5/9/2014The food was all very good, the gnocchi and banana dessert were especially delicious. The view is great on a clear day and would be great to sit outside if warm. Service was all great- defintely would go back.Special Features:
- Food matches the view!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/9/2014This gem at the top of the hill overlooking the Santa Cruz harbor was better than expected. The ribeye was delicious. My husband had the salmon which was locally caught and he was equally delighted. Outdoor dining could be improved - more heaters, maybe a glass wall for windshield. The inside is a little out of date and stuffy - had to eat in the bar area because main dining was reserved for party.Special Features:
- Great foodMatthewDined on 5/8/2014Hollins House is a hidden gem up on the hill overlooking Pasatiempo Golf Course. Open to everyone, it has a refined atmosphere with a great view towards the ocean. The chef is excellent (we had calamari, paella, and filet mignon at our table - all were great). The service was first-rate, and our waiter recommended a very good pinot noir for a moderate price. The manager came by and she was very friendly and full of energy. We enjoyed it very much.Special Features:
- A bit unprepared for the turn outOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/6/2014I was excited to see on FB that Hollins House was starting a special Tappas dinner menu on Tuesday nights. It started last Tuesday (May 6th) and I made a reservations for four. We arrived on-time to find the place packed. We were seated and waited. After 30 minutes we decided to leave and go somewhere else as we hadn't even been served water yet much less ordered any drinks or food! And also, the music from the band playing was so loud that you couldn't have a decent conversation even if you were sitting right next to the person. Dining at Hollins House in the past and it's always been really peaceful and pleasant with excellent food and drinks. I hope they are better prepared for future Tuesdays. Their menu looked amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 51 reviews are from the Hollins House - Pasatiempo Golf Club reviews archive.
- Great DinnerfrequentdinerDined on 4/25/2014I live near the Hollins House and dine there often. With the recent changes in staff and menu, I was afraid that it wouldn't be as good as it was. I was pleasantly surprised! Levi and Julie were my servers the past two times. They were excellent. The food is great too. I do wish they had more of the old menu items but what they have now is very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Heaven !joeandjenDined on 4/8/2014We love what the chef, and staff, are doing here...! We've dined twice here in the last month, and every dish, every bite just has love and care, and creativity in them ! Best French onion soup I've ever had ; smooth and creamy, and completely unlike the sharp liquid-and-heavy-cheese thing you often are served... Epic beet salad, with goat cheese mousse ; Also, new manager, and waitstaff, that brings a fresh attitude towards what is, still, a refined dining area.Special Features:
- YAY Booka!FoodietwoDined on 4/4/2014So wonderful to have you back and at the Hollins House, a great location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has been betterSeasidecitizenDined on 4/2/2014I went with a group. We had previously been there and had a wonderful time and meal. This time the meal was delicious but something was off. The bartender was tossing lemons in the air and some ended up on the wrong side of the bar, near our table. The waiter was very sweet and mostly attentive but it seemed that each server had too many tables to serve. The menu had changed since our last visit and we were disappointed that some of the old dishes were missing. The banana fosters was good, but the apple dish that comes in the martini glass was not good (we all agreed). My friend was upset that some of the old staff she was familiar with were gone - this made a difference to us. Most said they would not return. FYI our bill was $500.00Special Features:
- A wonderful experienceHappybuddyDined on 3/20/2014The food was delicious from appetizers to dessert. It was a dining experience we will always cherish and plan to return. The only thing I would suggest is maybe a few more options on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Call before you goOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/1/2014I found Hollins House on the santacruz.org website and booked a reservation for Saturday night. The entrance to the restaurant is actually in the back and is also the location of the Tap Room. As I had made the reservation for 6:30 I thought it odd that we were the only people there, but for a group sitting over by the bar. I ordered the Prime Rib, my mother ordered the sand dabs. The food was excellent, the server was very attentive, and the view was spectacular. My main complaint was the wedding reception going on right next door that was, as to be expected, playing loud music. So, if you go, call ahead to find out if there is a reception or other party going on. Otherwise, enjoy the food and the view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a good place to gosuziDined on 2/22/2014This place is a hidden gem. It's rarely crowded, has quiet ambience and good food with a view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not specialPuchDined on 2/21/2014We were very much hoping for a really special dining experience, after hearing so much about the place, we sat in the bar area tables. The beef stroganoff which I had was ok at best my friend didn't like his and did not finish, his wife had a filet which she said was chewy, My wife had the salmon and said it was the best she's had in awhile. The service was terrible we had to keep asking people not our waiter for things like bread and more drinks also we had 3 different wait people bring us our food with very large waiting times in between. The restaurant was only half full.Special Features:
- The chefjudyVIPDined on 2/20/2014Months ago he promised a seasonal new menu. That was before Thanksgiving 2013. Where is it? It has been the same menu for over a year. We are very frequent customers but are looking for new places to go as we have had just about everything on the tired menu. I do have to admit that he did add Pizza's to the menu which we are huge fans. So is the same for many other diners. But enough!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special occasiontomnkarenDined on 2/20/2014It is always a pleasure to dine in this beautiful historic home. We have been coming here for years and it is such a treat to look down across the golf course to the ocean, watch the winter sunset and chose from the excellent wine list. The meat, fish, and vegetarian dishes are not run-of-the-mill. We particularly enjoyed our salmon dish.Special Features:
- Hidden gem at a golf coursedocglennDined on 2/15/2014I've dined at Hollins House a few times over 20 years. The ambiance is formal. With the very high ceilings and brighter lighting, you can't call it intimate, but there's no doubt you're in a classy restaurant. The view is spectacular, actually better than Chaminade. The food is certainly better than Chaminade. We were impressed by the main courses. My dessert was supposed to be a blueberry turnover, but the blueberries were overwhelmed by red raspberries (evidently used as filler); however, the homemade vanilla ice cream was to die for. Service was earnest, but spotty. A second glass of wine was forgotten and the water server carefully avoided our area of the room - these are things that are easily fixed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Hollins House has a classy,YogiDined on 2/14/2014The Hollins House has a classy, historical, elegant ambience. The food is really wonderful and the view of the Monterey Bay is beautiful.Special Features:
- Been coming to Hollins HousewallyDined on 2/7/2014Been coming to Hollins House for over 30 years for both corporate and personal functions.....always a place of value and caters to the dinner guests with a high level of quality......very enjoyable......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always fantastic!NervousKnitterDined on 2/6/2014Hollins House always has five star food; they change the menu from time to time so nothing gets stale and they always have incredible specials. We are always surprised that they aren't busier--I think many of the locals think of it as a special venue for weddings and forget that they are a "regular" restaurant as well. We have never had a bad meal, have always had fantastic service, the view is breath taking, and you don't have to get all dressed up (but don't wear flip-flops, either. It's a classy joint!). The Hollins House is a true gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special dininglongtoretireDined on 2/6/2014We are never disappointed in Hollins House. The food is exquisite, the presentation note-worthy, the service attentive, and the views spectacular. My dining companion and I both had beef dishes, and we were so pleased with the flavor and tenderness of the beef. The sauces on our appetizer and dinner plates were perfectly seasoned and reduced. Our only complaint was that the appetizer was not presented with a serving spoon, and we had to wait for our waiter to ask for one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/8/2014Hollins house is my neighborhood restaurant. The staff is always outstanding and the food is wonderful. We meet many of our neighbors when we dine there. This is a very special place with a great view and wonderful people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2013New Year's Eve dinner was awesome. Limited menu but everything on the menu looked fantastic. The service was great. For the quality on the food, the prices were reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.