Hollins House - Pasatiempo Golf Club
20 Clubhouse Rd
Santa Cruz, CA 95060Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
Hollins House - Pasatiempo Golf Club
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thehollinshouse.com/
- Phone: 8314599177x
- Hours of Operation:
Happy Hour: 4:00pm-5:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday-Friday 5:00pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Californian
- Executive Chef: John Paul Lechtenberg
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a private room with a fabulous view and fireplace that comfortably seats 20.
- Private Party Contact: Margy Seifert 8314313231x
A word from Hollins House - Pasatiempo Golf Club
Hollins House Restaurant is conveniently located on the Pasatiempo Golf Club Property. There is not a more spectacular setting or view in all of Santa Cruz. Atmosphere, view, location, food, service...we have it allContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Hollins House - Pasatiempo Golf Club - Best Restaurants in Santa Cruz ›
Hollins House - Pasatiempo Golf Club reviews from OpenTable diners
43 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (40)great for outdoor dining (38)fit for foodies (25)special occasion (25)romantic (24)good for groups (17)neighborhood gem (16)notable wine list (9)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (4)vibrant bar scene (4)great for lunch (3)hot spot (1)Show More
- Tuesday Tapas NightOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/16/2014The food, service and setting were great. Wonderful views, good food, wine and service what's not to like!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not So GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014I took my wife and some friends for her birthday. It has been several years since our last visit. First off they only had one listing in the wine list for Riesling , and they were out of that. He did not offer any other helpful choices. The main course was very good. Now to the deserts. We asked for a apple desert and they were out of that. So we ordered some thing else. We told the waiter that we were very unhappy with what was still on the menu. Later he came back after talking to the manager and he said we would not be charged for the desert. ( $ 18.00 ) He only gave us a $ 4.50 credit on a bill of over $ 225.00. Later he gave us another $ 4.50., not the $ 18.00 due us. Don't think we will be back soonSpecial Features:
- Wonderful food and viewJanetDined on 9/11/2014What a wonderful dining experience! Hollins House used to be a favorite but for years the food was nothing special so we avoided it even though it has the best view in the County. The menu and execution now lives up to this "foodies " hopes. We sat on the outdoor patio as the sun went down and the lights in the city came on. The heaters kept us perfectly after dark. My chopped beet salad with goat cheese appetizer was outstanding, small packets of goat cheese wrapped in phyllo and served warm over perfectly roasted beets. Our main courses were also delicious and the chocolat and berry dessert was enough for the three of us. This is a terrific place for a romantic evening or to take visitors from out of town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectLuvlifeDined on 9/10/2014It made for the perfect birthday celebration. We'll be coming back soon.Special Features:
- Hidden but worth the hunt!!franKVIPDined on 9/9/2014Tapas Tuesday!!! FAB U LOUS We had 7 on the lawned patio...full moon rising and GREAT SERVICE....small plates of lamb and pork...beets and ahi, salads and fried chicken that we should have ordered 12 of!!...great prices and we had a ball. Tyler was our server and just a great guy...knew his business!! We will be back for the full menu (see 'chicken' above)!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas TuesdayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014We were first timers Tuesday evening at Hollins House Tapas Tuesday event. The live music was perfect, the view beautiful, great company, and the Tapas were Ah-mazing. Don't forget to order dessert. We ate 4 desserts between the three of us! Good times!Special Features:
- Tapas BarOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/9/2014The Tapas bar on Tuesday nights is a great addition to an already very good restaurant. The food is innovative and surprisingly good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChloeDined on 9/2/2014What not to like about Tapas Tuesdays? Great food, view, music, wine, service and resonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful 60th birthdayRaBaDined on 8/29/2014We went to Hollins House for my wife's 60th birthday with her mother, brother and our oldest son. We were seated in the MacKenzie Bar at a table with an excellent view of Monterey Bay. As we get older we appreciate a quiet restaurant. We were able to talk at a normal conversation level and that made the experience very pleasant. The menu isn't extensive but there were more than enough entrees from which to chose. Everyone was very happy with the choices. From the homemade bread to the appetizers through the main course and dessert the food was excellent. The service was very good and relaxed. If you need to leave by a certain time be sure to mention that when you arrive. The vanilla ice cream "cake" was an unexpected treat and a nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2beachbumsDined on 8/28/2014The wait staff was fantastic. The best filet and sand dabs we have ever had. Fantastic presentation. Five star dining!!!! We were celebrating our 27th wedding anniversary and will return for our 28th. and many times in between. Great experience. Bill and JenniferSpecial Features:
- JP (CHEF) EXCELLENT JOB!GIN73Dined on 8/28/2014I took three of my friends to the Hollins House where we had a magical night! The weather, the view and the service perfect and the food was outstanding. Try the mushroom galette, the beet salad, sand dabs, Ahi, and the chocolate dessert was so light, with such great flavor it was devoured by all those who said they couldn't eat another thing. We had Mojito's and a wonderful bottle of wine. The music was classic Gershwin, there was room to dance spontaneously which we did. This was the first time for my guests & all plan to return again. We were there on a Thursday evening at 6PM. Great Evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experience!thewineguyDined on 8/14/2014The first time we went to this restaurant with two other couples who have been to wonderful restaurants all over the world and thought that the overall experience at Hollins House equaled or exceeded that of Michelin star restaurants. The French onion soup with shallots and the cheese infused as foam was amazing. The service was attentive and friendly, and you can't beat the 180 degree view of Monterey Bay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Event EveningNVSVRDined on 7/31/2014We tried Hollins House for their first All American BBQ night and it was fantastic -- live music, outdoor dining, and a great atmosphere. The food was excellent with brisket, chicken, ribs and sausage served family style on a metal tray for the table. A wide assortment of sides were available ala carte, and nothing was less than extraordinary. The brisket was the best we have ever had anywhere. Service was excellent despite a very busy night. Levi, our server, helped make the evening memorable, but everyone with was helpful and very friendly. Although this was the first event, we were told that this BBQ will be repeated at least bi-weekly. So if you are in the mood for a casual, but excellent dinner, check it out!Special Features:
- Great tapas and outstanding sceneryBusyMomDined on 7/22/2014You cannot beat sitting in the outside dining area with a sweeping view of the Monterey Bay. The view combined with great food, makes for a special treat! We came here for Tapas Tuesday. Our favorites were the calamari salad, the lamb, and a great wine list. The staff was very attentive, and we were seated in a great spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic views / Incredible mealzoegrlsDined on 7/17/2014We chose to eat on the patio. Fantastic views of the bay beyond the lights of Santa Cruz set the tone for an incredible meal. From the wonderful seared ahi appetizer to the perfectly prepared lamb and sand dabs, everything about our meal was delightful. The roasted beet salad with puff pastry filled with goat cheese mousse was outstanding. Service was very good though the staff seemed to be spread a bit thin by a large party in the main dining room. Everyone was quick to make sure all of our needs were taken care of. They brought several heaters to the table when the temperature dropped and offered to move us indoors at any time. The waitress was knowledgable and helpful with suggestions about both the menu and drink list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous food, best viewGeoHilDined on 6/27/2014New menu with amazing dishes. The lamb was particularly delicious. The view is unbeatable and never a problem to get a table. It always amazes me that it isn't busier. Service was slow but we weren't in a hurry. Seemed like most of the staff was new and a little clueless. Grandkids love to play on the lawn while we enjoy coffee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas Tuesday DisasterLoveHappyHourDined on 6/24/2014My friend and I decided to try out their new Tapas Tuesday. They seated us at a lovely table out on the lawn, but then forgot we were there. No drinks, no food, nada. After 30 minutes, we got up and decided to move to the bar area where, perhaps, we would be more visual. When they saw us moving, they made a big fuss over us and apologized profusely. They got us drinks, 2 breads, and our fries came about 25 minutes later. The calamari was inedible, and they comp'd us for that. For the most part, we continued to be ignored. We had to flag down a wait staff to get another drink, and at one point, I brought our glasses of water up to the bar for refills myself - since no one came around to check on us. Just a very bizarre experience.Special Features:
- tapas tuesdaytomnkarenDined on 6/24/2014a group of us dined at Hollins House for Tapas Tuesday. It was the first time for this new event. The eclectic menu was very interesting and each dish delicious. Even our picky eater found 3 dishes that he loved. The wine list is very good and service from Levi was the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas TuesdayKate26Dined on 6/24/2014We just found out about this gem so decided to go to Tapas Tuesday and sit on the patio. We ordered drinks and 3 tapas in short order and in minutes all 3 tapas came out. About 15 minutes later the drinks came out. An all too typical scenario in Santa Cruz. The bar didn't seem that crowded and there were plenty of servers so don't know the cause. The food was lovely, we ordered 3 more tapas and a glass of wine each and all was fine. The bill came to $80 without tip and the tapas allowed us to exercise portion control. Was it worth the ambiance? Who can afford this on any kind of regular basis? I would still highly recommend checking out the site and at least enjoying a beverage on the patio. It's stunning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner!frequentdinerDined on 6/18/2014The filet mignon was superb and the service was great. There was a men's golf event dinner so the noise level was very high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never Again !localDined on 6/6/2014This was a VERY DISAPPOINTING experience ! What was suppose to be an after graduation dinner turned out to be a shouting match for conversation to compete with the loud bar noise. Not at all what our group of seven was expecting. We should have left before the disappointing food arrived 39 minutes after we ordered! The salmon was dry and over cooked. The sand dabs (only three) was, I think disguised Talapia. And to sum it up nobody in our party thought their meal was good. This was a "Don't ever go there again experience".
- Consistently top notchNervousKnitterDined on 5/29/2014Hollins House food is always fabulous, the specials are unique and delightful and the service staff is on top of every need. The specials are always terrific. I had an appetizer of sautéed calamari with a vinagrette and hummus and it was amazing, the beet and goat cheese salad is mouth watering. Portion sizes are more than adequate and are beautifully presented. Their specials are always unique and always delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas TuesdayjudyVIPDined on 5/27/2014We had a table of 4 outside in the beautiful patio area. It was a goegeous evening. Our server was quick efficient and very friendly. The Tapas were delicious, just the right size and served on a very timely manner! Excellent! I encourage everyone to join in on the fun at Hollins House Restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The view of the bay is spectacularBestVIPDined on 5/24/2014We had a great table, adjacent to the windows, overlooking the Monterey Bay. I started with the Caprese salad which was unique and very good. My wife had the ribeye steak and I had the salmon, both were outstanding. For dessert we shared a brownie with salted caramel and ice cream, yummy. The service was outstanding. "Ken", originally from Argentina, was our waiter. He said he's been there now two months, was extremely attentive. We highly recommend this restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 61 reviews are from the Hollins House - Pasatiempo Golf Club reviews archive.
- FrequentdinerfrequentdinerDined on 5/20/2014Great Tuesday night tapas! Service and menu getting better each time I go.Special Features:
- lovely setting for taoasrshorensVIPDined on 5/20/2014We went for tapas Tuesdays at 5 pm. Perfect weather, gorgeous view, great selection, delicious food, moderate prices. Loved the Mojito special. Felt like the private home it once was!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My ReviewHenrispeaksDined on 5/13/2014Fun concept, great music, excellent food, unbelievable setting, friendly service.Special Features:
- very disappointedNittlerDined on 5/11/2014My parents in law have lived in Pasatiemp for 50+ years - we were excited to have Mother's Day Brunch but it was such a disappointment!
- Mother's Day BrunchTaraDined on 5/11/2014Lovely brunch spread, beautiful location, view. Very friendly helpful service. Only drawback, no choice to eat inside if you wanted or table selection outside. I assume this was due to volume for holiday. However we arrived early and after finding out we HAD to sit outside, we were also told we couldn't choose being in the sun or shade even tho there were no other guests there yet. So that was a bit frustrating, as I had some light sensitivity. Luckily a place in shade "opened up". Also very windy that day. Overall very nice day, just maybe a good idea to give guests info regarding choice of seating before arriving. Thanks!Special Features:
- Not as requestedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014In making my reservation I specifically requested indoor seating. My wife is very fair and sunburns easily. When we arrived we were told our table was outside. I protested and stated that my reservation requested indoor seating...this was not an issue with availability as there were approx 12 tables set up inside and only one was in use during our complete meal. We were finally seated in a porch area that was shaded.Special Features:
- Great nightBoochDined on 5/9/2014The food was all very good, the gnocchi and banana dessert were especially delicious. The view is great on a clear day and would be great to sit outside if warm. Service was all great- defintely would go back.Special Features:
- Food matches the view!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/9/2014This gem at the top of the hill overlooking the Santa Cruz harbor was better than expected. The ribeye was delicious. My husband had the salmon which was locally caught and he was equally delighted. Outdoor dining could be improved - more heaters, maybe a glass wall for windshield. The inside is a little out of date and stuffy - had to eat in the bar area because main dining was reserved for party.Special Features:
- Great foodMatthewDined on 5/8/2014Hollins House is a hidden gem up on the hill overlooking Pasatiempo Golf Course. Open to everyone, it has a refined atmosphere with a great view towards the ocean. The chef is excellent (we had calamari, paella, and filet mignon at our table - all were great). The service was first-rate, and our waiter recommended a very good pinot noir for a moderate price. The manager came by and she was very friendly and full of energy. We enjoyed it very much.Special Features:
- A bit unprepared for the turn outOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/6/2014I was excited to see on FB that Hollins House was starting a special Tappas dinner menu on Tuesday nights. It started last Tuesday (May 6th) and I made a reservations for four. We arrived on-time to find the place packed. We were seated and waited. After 30 minutes we decided to leave and go somewhere else as we hadn't even been served water yet much less ordered any drinks or food! And also, the music from the band playing was so loud that you couldn't have a decent conversation even if you were sitting right next to the person. Dining at Hollins House in the past and it's always been really peaceful and pleasant with excellent food and drinks. I hope they are better prepared for future Tuesdays. Their menu looked amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerfrequentdinerDined on 4/25/2014I live near the Hollins House and dine there often. With the recent changes in staff and menu, I was afraid that it wouldn't be as good as it was. I was pleasantly surprised! Levi and Julie were my servers the past two times. They were excellent. The food is great too. I do wish they had more of the old menu items but what they have now is very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Heaven !joeandjenDined on 4/8/2014We love what the chef, and staff, are doing here...! We've dined twice here in the last month, and every dish, every bite just has love and care, and creativity in them ! Best French onion soup I've ever had ; smooth and creamy, and completely unlike the sharp liquid-and-heavy-cheese thing you often are served... Epic beet salad, with goat cheese mousse ; Also, new manager, and waitstaff, that brings a fresh attitude towards what is, still, a refined dining area.Special Features:
- YAY Booka!FoodietwoDined on 4/4/2014So wonderful to have you back and at the Hollins House, a great location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has been betterSeasidecitizenDined on 4/2/2014I went with a group. We had previously been there and had a wonderful time and meal. This time the meal was delicious but something was off. The bartender was tossing lemons in the air and some ended up on the wrong side of the bar, near our table. The waiter was very sweet and mostly attentive but it seemed that each server had too many tables to serve. The menu had changed since our last visit and we were disappointed that some of the old dishes were missing. The banana fosters was good, but the apple dish that comes in the martini glass was not good (we all agreed). My friend was upset that some of the old staff she was familiar with were gone - this made a difference to us. Most said they would not return. FYI our bill was $500.00Special Features:
- A wonderful experienceHappybuddyDined on 3/20/2014The food was delicious from appetizers to dessert. It was a dining experience we will always cherish and plan to return. The only thing I would suggest is maybe a few more options on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Call before you goOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/1/2014I found Hollins House on the santacruz.org website and booked a reservation for Saturday night. The entrance to the restaurant is actually in the back and is also the location of the Tap Room. As I had made the reservation for 6:30 I thought it odd that we were the only people there, but for a group sitting over by the bar. I ordered the Prime Rib, my mother ordered the sand dabs. The food was excellent, the server was very attentive, and the view was spectacular. My main complaint was the wedding reception going on right next door that was, as to be expected, playing loud music. So, if you go, call ahead to find out if there is a reception or other party going on. Otherwise, enjoy the food and the view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.