Holland House Bar & Refuge
935 West Eastland Avenue
Nashville, TN 37206Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Holland House Bar & Refuge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hollandhousebarandrefuge.com/
- Phone: 6152624190x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
*This is an 18 and up establishment
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kristen Beringson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Holland House Bar & Refuge
HHB&R, located in the heart of historic East Nashville, less than a mile from downtown Nashville, has proved a welcome addition to the local culinary scene. Located in the shell of a long-standing neighborhood grocery, Holland House Bar & Refuge is a re-imagined neighborhood haven that sources local and regional ingredients, and offers an expansive menu of cocktails, sipping spirits, and craft beer. Voted Best New Bar 2010 and Best New Restaurant (#2) 2010 by the people of Nashville in the Nashville Scene's Annual Reader's Poll, HHB&R has been embraced as the leader of the city's all-encompassing restaurant experience. With a New American culinary style consistent with the casual and the elegant, and the bar overseen by celebrated mixologists, HHB&R continues to evolve and prosper with an ever-changing roster of cocktails and seasonal ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Holland House Bar & Refuge - Best Restaurants in East Nashville ›
Holland House Bar & Refuge reviews from OpenTable diners
120 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (94)neighborhood gem (83)great for outdoor dining (62)special occasion (61)vibrant bar scene (60)romantic (45)hot spot (45)good for groups (21)notable wine list (18)late-night find (15)great for brunch (5)scenic view (2)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Overall disappointingAnonymousVIPDined on 8/30/2014I have been here several times. I have yet to have the same experience twice. This time dinner started an hour late with slow service, dirty flatware, and no drinks available while we waited. Food was good, but at least 2 of the meals came out cold. Disappointed that I took newcomers to town here and left frustrated.Special Features:
- smsmith416Dined on 8/30/2014Loved the new menu and small plate options. Great bar that is always creating fun new cocktails to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DDateNightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014Love the relaxing atmosphere, clean refreshing drinks and unique amazing food! Great place for a romantic date night or fun bar atmosphere to hang out with friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedFoodIsAnExperienceTooDined on 8/29/2014This was my third time to eat here in about a year. Each time, the service and food quality declined. The menu was filled with heavy and temperature hot foods I would expect in the winter. Three of us actually chose to share 4-5 appetizers because no interest in Entree menu. The place was so hot. We should have just dined at an outside table. Server was a awkward at best. I had a fabulous meal and service during my first visit. The two other visits were disappointing. I won't be back.Special Features:
- Friday Evening DinnerBritdineVIPDined on 8/22/2014Great selection of cocktails which were really good, and the food was great shared the truffle fries as an appetizer which are excellent, had the fish special (salmon) for the main course, portion sizes were about right with quality ingredients, the better half had the beef brisket also excellent. We had an 6.45pm reservation and the only downside to the place is the parking took us 20mins to find a spot in the surrounding neighborhood, no valet parking.Special Features:
- Yum!YUMMYDined on 8/22/2014Went here for Restaurant Week and enjoyed every last bite. Ambiance was fantastic. This would be a perfect date place- very romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet food well thought outHealthFoodieDined on 8/20/2014We've had a whole slew of gourmet restaurants opened up lately that have a Southern flare. I don't like Southern food, well prepared or not. It was refreshing that there were offerings that weren't all about shellfish, pork, grits and fried things. Glad they had some low carb, healthy fare. I hope restaurants of this caliber will eventually get it that healthy eaters like a 6 oz. piece of well prepared, quality protein and lots of fresh vegetables. Glad they accommodated this very popular way of eating during the pre fixe Nashville Originals week. We loved the food and atmosphere and will definitely return. Hopefully, the new chef who has yet to change the menu will hearken to this review.Special Features:
- Great drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/19/2014I was really impressed with the creative drink menu. Dinner was good but the Nutella bread pudding was the highlight!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All good but the seating...TheNackDined on 8/15/2014Much to like about this hot restaurant. Signature drinks. Absolutely delicious entrées. The severe distraction was - as is the case in so many restaurants - the seating when you're a party of 2. While there were plenty of 4-top tables and booths available, we were a party of 2, and the hostess first showed us to the worst table in the house: A 2-top at the intersection of two very busy aisles and near the bar. Very noisy. Lots of foot traffic. NOT romantic AT ALL. Indeed, there just shouldn't be a table there. Before being seated we asked for something more out of the way. She showed us to another 2-top - still on a major "highway" and right near the bar. Again, not romantic - yet there wee plenty of 4-tops available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great vibe and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/14/2014We shared a bunch of appetizers instead of getting any entrees and everything was great. Mezze plate, cauliflower mash., smoked wings, hot chicken. Best Negroni I've had in a long time.Special Features:
- Almost a 5 Star/Avoid the Bar!SteveDined on 8/12/2014Go to HHBR for the food. Unfortunately, the rest didn't quite live up to the menu. Nibbles, apps and main courses with the craft cocktails were 4-5 stars. While we had a reservation the table was not the best. Essentially a highboy w/wooden chairs that surrounded the bar. If comfort is important get a table off the bar floor. Our service for dinner was 4 star but was marred by a bad experience at the bar for a night cap. The bartender/mixologist working the front of the bar couldn't say thank you/acted like he didn't want us to be there despite there only being five of us at the bar and that we had just eaten dinner. While it may be true that one bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch it did mar our evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EastSideEatsDined on 8/8/2014The Holland House Bar and Refuge never fails to impress! The atmosphere is perfect and the service and food is even better! Our waiter was very knowledgeable and helpful and the food left us wanting more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real TreatGiveitatryDined on 8/8/2014Been meaning to visit Holland House, just never got around to it - but, was there for a friends birthday party recently. Returned the next night for dinner and was treated to one of the best meals I have had in some time. I tend to eat out for most meals and I am always looking for new interesting places. Holland House could easily become one of my favorite places to eat - though the menu is rather limited, it contains enough variety to remain interesting. My dining partner and I tried several selections and the only disappointment was the Cabbage + Brussels salad (dressing was a little overpowering). The Charcuterie was especially delightful on this night. The brisket was outstanding and the chocolate bead pudding incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real East Nashville GemFoodvoyageDined on 8/8/2014The Holland house really impressed us. I've been on a classic New Orleans cocktail kick lately so I was very pleased when I opened the cocktail list in the menu to see three of the classics on the standard menu: Vieux Carre, sazerac, and French 75. With each cocktail on the menu they offer three variations so that you can get it with your favorite bourbon or bitters or what not... Not only were the drinks outstanding, but the food was out of this world fresh, mostly local and very good! I highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice SurpriseannieDined on 8/7/2014We read about it in a book on Nashville and tried it on our visit there. It was by far, our favorite dining experience. They have a wonderful bar, unusual drinks and very good food made with fresh and local ingredients. Just as we got there, a rainstorm hit the city. But, that didn't stop people from coming - getting soaked on the way in. It is a very lively restaurant with great atmosphere.Special Features:
- TreblehornsDined on 8/2/2014Craw fish chowder was the best soup I have ever had. Drinks to the table were slow and it was warm inside.Special Features:
- Hope you aren't in a hurryHoyaDinerDined on 8/2/2014Food and drinks here were great. However, I had two main complaints. First, the restaurant ran out of many things, which was surprising since we were eating at 7 pm on a Saturday. By the time we sat, they were already sold out of one entree. When I requested a second of the cocktail that I ordered before dinner, I was told that I couldn't get another because they had run out of one of the ingredients. Later, they also ran out of one of the three beers that they have on tap. My second complaint was that service was SLOW. It took our party of 4 three hours to eat, despite only getting drinks, apps and entrees (no dessert). The second round of cocktails took 15-20 minutes to arrive at the table. Drinks sat empty while eating entrees.Special Features:
- Great spotDaveDined on 8/1/2014Great place for a date; vibrant atmosphere, nice people, great cocktails, food & very reasonably priced beer. Will be back for sureSpecial Features:
- Great as always.NicNacDined on 7/26/2014It was warm in there, but we moved to the James Room and that was much more comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food always fantasticpinkpollyDined on 7/26/2014We have been to this restaurant numerous times and it never fails with the quality of the cocktails, wine list and food menu. The only thing about the restaurant was that it was very hot inside, so it would have been better if it was a little cooler. Other than that well worth the trip for dinner and cocktails.Special Features:
- A little roughAnwiechDined on 7/25/2014Little disappointed in our experience. Whole meal took 2 hours with a 9pm reservation and we only ordered one course and dessert. It didn't seem that busy for such wait times. Service was really slow. Took a long time to get drinks (mostly wine), entrees and dessert without very many check-ins between. Food was good but the service put a damper on our evening.Special Features:
- Great vibeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/25/2014I've always heard the drinks were good here and was not disappointed. It's a little overwhelming to decide but our waiter was quite helpful and did not rush us. Small menu which is fine but nothing was calling to me except one of the specials which they were out of. The food was decent but we were not wowed. Except by the hot chicken nibbler...could have eaten all night!! Great spices, not too hot and super crunchy. Great atmosphere loved the bar, friendly wait-staff and the laid back vibe. Would definitely come back for drinks and munchies againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must see!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/22/2014One of the coolest places ever! Amazing coctails, beautiful menu, eclectic style!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful... as alwaysk32trvlDined on 7/22/2014I've been to Holland House a few times and have always enjoyed it. They always have diverse choices on the menu - yummy too. And the drinks are simply fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodPokeyDined on 7/19/2014This place is about the food. The appetizers...garlic fries and hot chicken were incredible. The entrees...catfish and burger...wonderful. Some of the best food around. It's a busy place so make a reservation. Be patient as our first round of drinks took 25 mins. But the tastiness of our food was worth it. This is a must eat type of place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date Night restaurantnashvillefoodieDined on 7/18/2014Went to Holland House on a Friday night for a date. The ambiance was great, the restaurant was obviously popular but not overly crowded and the atmosphere was energetic. The drinks were delicious, as was the food, and the overall dining experience was excellent. I would highly recommend!Special Features:
- savoryrose8redDined on 7/18/2014Savory, memorable well done dishes. Amazing well balanced cocktails. Great well timed service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemDinerDDined on 7/12/2014My girlfriend and I dined here while on vacation. We sat outside for dinner and the ambience was beautiful. She's vegetarian and while there only one vegetarian entree, she was able to put together a few small plates and was quite pleased the meal. I had the braised brisket and wished I could've eaten it all night. The outdoor patio was lit beautifully at night and gave us the romantic feel we were looking for. The service was great and even though we arrived at the end of the night our food looked and tasted like we were the first ones there. All in all a great experience and we'll definitely be back next visit to Nashville. Word of advice: parking can be difficult so walk if possible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Atmosphere & Food!DonCyotiDined on 7/12/2014My wife and I never venture into East Nashville and decided to do a Saturday night there. We had been recommended to Holland House by a waitress at another restaurant in another part of town. We sat out on the patio on a summer evening about 6:30 and it was pleasant. The food was excellent, tasty and good presentation. Our waitress was very attentive and talked to us a great deal. We will definitely be back and highly recommend.Special Features:
- Awesome drinks and great food!TNGnashvilleVIPDined on 7/11/2014I can't stop talking about how much I liked the Holland House! Everything was great! The drinks were very unique and all delicious! Not sure what it is called, but my husband loved the bourbon cocktail with frozen ginger/jalapino cubes! All of our entrees and appetizers were super! Th pork belly app and the brisket... Yummmm! I hadn't even mention the atmosphere... Really cool and unique! As we walked in around 7pm on a Friday night, the bar and the restaurant was pretty packed! Always a good sign! Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, outdoor diningBabooVIPDined on 7/11/2014Have gone to this restaurant on a number of occasions. Was excited about the new outdoor patio which was very nice. Only issue was the number of flies so they need to address that going forward.Special Features:
- Great PlaceJMYUABDMBDined on 7/7/2014Fantastic spot with great drinks and food. Definitely will return.Special Features:
- a favorite placediningoutinnashvilleDined on 7/5/2014Holland House is one of our favorite places. The food is excellent: complex enough flavors but without too many gratuitous ingredients. The prices are modest compared to most comparable places..especially the cocktails....which makes it fun to go more often. And we love the way it looks....barn wood and chandeliers, oriental rugs and cozy tables and booths. Service is always lovely too with friendly but not overbearing staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- THE BESTcarijDined on 7/3/2014Excellent food, excellent cocktails, excellent service, excellent ambience. Couldn't ask for a better experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday GirlOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/28/2014Drinks were outstanding and the barkeep ( Milo ) is a real pro. Free birthday drink is a nice touch. Wound up dining at the bar and dinner was very good. We will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Welcome back!LouisvilleDined on 6/25/2014We have been to Holland House several times for drinks in the past year, but had written off their food last year as stuffy and not very good. Hello newish menu! This is the first time we've eaten there in the last year and let me tell you, the food is sooooo much better! My husband and I had the fried yellow tomato appetizer and the brussel sprout almond salad with feta and cranberries. They were both wonderful. For our entree, we shared the special which was pan fried trout with parsley and a creamy corn. Soooo good! Drinks were, as always, amazing as well. And, for all of that food which filed us up plus three cocktails the bill was $70 plus tip. Not too shabby for a night out on the town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just fabulous!2muchfoodieVIPDined on 6/19/2014We have been dining at HHB&R since it opened and it keeps getting better. We can bring the pickiest eater with us without problems. Drinks take awhile to be served but they are worth the wait. Although not a vegetarian, their vegetarian entrees are creative and tasty. Our other go-to item, when on the menu, is the duck. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- 3.5 starsNashFoodieGirlDined on 6/17/2014Holland House was good and I'd go back. It's in my neighborhood, nice atmosphere, not pretentious and has an interesting menu. Some of the food was quite good, and some was a bit better than OK. We enjoyed the salad with beets, and the cheese appetizer was good but not that interesting. The duck entree was too salty for both of our tastes, though the meat was cooked nicely. Portions are small so it is nice to leave not feeling stuffed. The service was technically fine, but I've had warmer/friendlier service.Special Features:
- Always fabulous!BostonJayhawkDined on 6/14/2014HHB&R was the first real Nashville restaurant my wife and I went to when we moved from Boston. And we have been back every time a special occasion warranted a celebration. HHB&R just has that special "vibe" to it that is quintessential modern Nashville: great food, great attitude, and a level of relaxation. Simply great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014I had never been to the place and brought two friends from New York City. They were impressed and so was I!Special Features: