375 40th St
Oakland, CA 94609Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://hogsapothecary.com/
- Phone: 5103383847
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: W-Sa, Su-M 5:00pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Beer Garden, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: John Stewart-Streit
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Late Night
A word from Hog's Apothecary
Sandwiched between Temescal and Piedmont in what was once called the Jewel Box, Hog’s Apothecary is a New American Beer Hall brought to you by John and Tavia Stewart-Streit. Our menu features a regular selection of house-butchered porcine delights and farm-direct produce that ideally complement the most unique and well-curated draft selection in the state of California. We take great pride in using the bounty and beasts of farmers who employ only the highest standards of sustainability.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Hog's Apothecary - Best Restaurants in Oakland ›
Hog's Apothecary reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (37)fit for foodies (27)good for groups (23)vibrant bar scene (18)hot spot (17)late-night find (12)kid-friendly (7)great for lunch (5)notable wine list (3)special occasion (1)Show More
- fun placeDrMelBotDined on 10/17/2014Great space. Communal tables a plus or a minus but the placement isn't too bad. Food was very fresh but oddly bland (persimmon salad for example, yogurty but bland dressing). Service was very prompt and generally knowledgeable. I did ask about a NOT hoppy beer and was suggested 3 California beers which were quite hoppy. Server didn't seem to know the European beers that have a less hoppy profile without being a stout. Overall, a lovely fun date night .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the moneyOaklandfoodieatlargeDined on 10/12/2014If you're hungry not the place to go. The staff is very personable and knowledgeable about the beer. However, the small dinner plates are way over priced, the Animal Farm was on the salty side. Definitely a place to go if you're looking for beer and a light meal(try the corn dog).Special Features:
- We love this place.benhDined on 10/6/2014If you are a beer aficionado, Hog's Apothecary has such a great selection that you could go for that alone. They several varieties of Craftsman on draft, which is very rare to see outside of Los Angeles, and you know any place serving 1903s is generally going to have outstanding food. Hog's Apothecary is no exception to this. Their food is inventive, interesting, and ridiculously delicious. The menu is precise: a few kinds of main meals, quite a few small plates/starters, and various nibblies. We've been there twice now (and will surely go back), but this time we had the pork belly on puree, and meatballs items for starters. Followed with the schniztel and the "Devil Bird" fried chicken, both of which were amazing. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enthusiastic, knowledgeable serverFeinschmeckerDined on 9/29/2014Our server was great --- enthusiastic, knowledgeable, and passionate about the fare on offer. She helped us pick some excellent beers. Schnitzel was outstanding too!Special Features:
- Best beer selection with great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/27/2014Hog's Apothecary consistently has one of the best craft beer selections around, with friendly, knowledgable staff to guide you. Their food, especially their pork chop, is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Experience v. FoodVinoVetorDined on 9/27/2014Our recent dinner at H-A brought to mind the challenge of operating a restaurant. It's not just sufficient to bring together interesting ingredients, unique and tasty preparation, you must also take care of your customers. The last part should be the easiest, but wasn't for H-A during our visit. The food was good enough to warrant a return to see if they've worked out the service kinks. Something tells me that will take a change in staff at the front, stay tuned.Special Features:
- Pig FestOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/6/2014Hog's Apothecary was a delight for food. Although the menu was limited, the selections and quality were superb. The wait staff was attentive and friendly. The noise level was a constant LOUD din. Sound bounced off the metal and wood services and made conversation, intimate conversation mute.
- Pork and Beer Heavenluv2eatDined on 9/5/2014Tried this place for the first time Friday night. Reservations weren't hard to get the night before, but we were sure glad we had them--the place was packed with a 45 minute wait. We sailed right into our reserved spot at a community table. The restaurant was loud and it was hard to hear, but there was good energy. Our server was fantastic--always found us right when we needed her and she knew the menu and beer well. We tried the terrine (good not great), meatballs (I already crave these!), fried appetizer (my husband's favorite), pork chop (delicious) and an extra side of grits (our least favorite as it was overly heavy and tasted more like breakfast food). We tried 5 different beers (we weren't driving) and each was really great!Special Features:
- Beer and MeatmarikotamakiDined on 8/30/2014An amazing selection of beer to go with yummy meat combos. Some nice salads on the side too. We had the hot dogs, which is a nice option if you're dining on a small budget. Great servers. Love the communal seating.Special Features:
- We pigged out at the HogDelCDined on 8/27/2014First time at the Hog. Got there at 6:00 and not a lot of people. By 7:00 it was packed. The ambiance was fantastic. Large glass windows brings in great light and the scene of people strolling bye. Great food - had the wiener schnitzel, outstanding, lots so took some home. Try the chips fried in "lard" - YUM! If you like beer, this is the place to go - good luck making a decision. Luckily our waitress made some good recommendations and they serve "samples" in brandy sniffers. Service was outstanding - very attentative without hovering. Highly recommend this place and we will be back.Special Features:
- Always a great experienceStaggerinDined on 8/22/2014The food is always surprisingly great, awesome beer selection, and delicious desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outforfoodVIPDined on 8/20/2014I just love the vibe of this restaurant. They have a new menu for their 25 draft beers everyday and the food menu is really good. It is heavy on the pork and other meats, but all the salads I've tried have been good. Try any of their sausages on their fresh bun and the potato chips.Special Features:
- MarvelousDandWDined on 8/14/2014Beer flight and brats with elegant soup and potted pork appetizers. What's not to love? About the only thing that didn't send us over the moon was the desserts, but we were too full by then anyway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood gemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014My partner and I noticed Hog's Apothecary on our way to the MacArthur BART stop. It has a storefront that attracts attention and is always FULL of people. We decided to stop in but wanted to make a reservation out of fear for the volume. It turned out the waiting time would have been totally reasonable for 7pm on a Friday. The restaurant features communal seating will full service and a bar. The rotating beer list is fantastic, featuring all CA beers, with some extras in bottles. There is also a decent wine list. Admittedly I am a vegetarian, so I cannot comment on the sausages, but my partner promised his sage and vine sausage was exceptional. And even without an entree I left happy and full. Would love to come back!Special Features:
- simple menu and great beerOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 7/26/2014Great neighborhood place. Food was good the beer was better. Found the service to be very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Food, Great FlavorssrtsVIPDined on 7/24/2014Hog's Apothecary is hip bar-restaurant located in the heart of Oakland on 40th Street off Broadway. It's specialty is denoted by its name, namely, pork. But not any pork--some of the best pork this side of heaven. The Devil's Gulch Smoke Pork Chop is one of the best chops I have ever had. It is accompanied by heirloom polenta that is a standout in its own right and housemade bbq sauce that is subtle, but will blow your mind with its flavor. The bratwurst sandwich is also mind-bendingly good. We are not beer drinkers, but that is also clearly an attraction here. The restaurant is super-loud noise-wise--The issue of noise aside, this place is a gem and is an outstanding experience.Special Features:
- Great FoodMarkieVIPDined on 7/20/2014Our first visit and what a surprise. We tried two different dinners, mixed grill (bacon wrapped rabbit leg, 1/2 quail and rabbit sausage) and steak/frits, and both were terrific. A side veggie dish, creamed summer squash and beet greens, was amazingly good. A great beer list on tap and a $4 'happy hour' hand pump pint of London style bitter ale. What more could you want. Not your typical beer joint food. Did notice numerous families with kids at the big communal tables. Energetic noisy place with everyone having a good time. The house made sausages reportedly change every couple days and we saw a great looking house made corn dog go by....next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/18/2014We had the rabbit trio, fried chicken, a sausage of some kind that I don't remember, and the potted meat trio. Everything was very good. You should go. You should order a bunch and share all the items and have a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where is the Hog?dineoutguyVIPDined on 7/13/2014There is a good selection beer at this noisy establishment. You sit at long tables sharing it with other diners as you would in a German beer hall. We shared a well prepared tasty early girl tomato salad with a zesty light dressing. I had the “Extras” a spicy smoked pork sausage and my partner had the bratwurst. Both sausages had soggy casing and didn't have the crispy snappy bite of a well-made sausage, I expected. Flavors of both sausages were OK, nothing to brag about. I expected more from a place that evidently specializes in pork and sausages. The homemade potato chips served with the dinner were mostly crisp with good flavor, but there were a few soggy chips. The service was excellent, hope the kitchen will catch up to the service.Special Features:
- Pork and beerClover88VIPDined on 7/11/2014Great beer list and hipster food: sausages, pate, pork cracklings. We had fried chicken on corn, tomatoes and beans. Farro salad with ricotta. Grilled peppers were WAY over salted but the other dishes were fine. Service was attentive but rushed. Place was packed but our reservation was honored without a wait. This was our second visit. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bustling BeerCrabbusVIPDined on 7/2/2014Great informal food (upmarket hotdogs, fried chicken) with tasty side salads and a HUGE selection of international and local beer. Need to work out the kinks - some items are too expensive (fried chicken $22) and some are not expensive enough (an enormously burdened plate of fries and pulled pork $13) The waitstaff are terrific, the vibe is great, but our food was very and unnecessarily slow. Very noisy. We will be back!Special Features:
- Wow: Simple and Great FoodsrtsVIPDined on 6/27/2014This beer-bar and restaurant is fantastic find. The featured pork dishes are some of the very, very best we have ever had. The smoked pork chop was out of this world good and the bratwurst sausage was also in a class of its own. Fun, lively loud atmosphere. This is not a place with private tables, but rather group tables that are shared, so keep that in mind. This is not the place for a quiet dinner! But this is a place for outstanding food, drinks, and a very lively setting. We loved it.Special Features:
- The following 0 reviews are from the Hog's Apothecary reviews archive.