hog and Hominy
707 W Brookhaven Cir
Memphis, TN 38117Neighborhood:
PizzeriaPrice: $30 and under
hog and Hominy
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hogandhominy.com/
- Phone: (901) 207-7396
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday Funday: 11:00am - 10:00pm
Late Night Hours: Thursday - Saturday: 10:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Italian, Contemporary Southern, Pizzeria
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from hog and Hominy
What happens when you combine a brick oven, family meals & bocce courts with southern cookin’, a lively bar & a love of pork?Continued
Hog & Hominy, that's what happens.
Hog & Hominy only reserves half of our tables. We gladly accept walk ins.
Hog & Hominy, that's what happens.
Hog & Hominy only reserves half of our tables. We gladly accept walk ins.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
hog and Hominy - Best Restaurants in Memphis ›
hog and Hominy reviews from OpenTable diners
112 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (91)neighborhood gem (65)hot spot (41)great for lunch (30)good for groups (27)great for brunch (25)vibrant bar scene (25)great for outdoor dining (20)special occasion (19)late-night find (17)kid-friendly (13)notable wine list (8)romantic (1)Show More
- OutstandingFoodcritic812VIPDined on 11/22/2014It is not hard to understand why HH is nationally acclaimed and recognized. The whole experience was tremendous and that is very rare in Memphis. My wife is gluten free and she believes HH's pizza is the best she has had, ever. We had pizza, crab claws, and Brussel sprouts. The food was spectacular and our server Micky was a true professional. Make sure you get their old fashion cocktail and paramsean gelato. We will be back...no doubt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyedKR83Dined on 11/16/2014Interesting menu with small plates. Will happily accommodate vegetarians even though menu may not seem like it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 901foodfanDined on 11/9/2014Three words: Red Eye Pizza. It may be the best pizza on the planet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UniqueHSH1Dined on 10/31/2014Hog and Hominy was a very interesting dining experience. Our waitress was very knowledgable but spoke so fast that we had a hard time understanding her. Our favorite food choice was the peant butter pie-outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Engaging menuEat901Dined on 10/30/2014Amazing menu! Unique and delicious. Easy portions allow for ample sampling of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Miffed in MemphisDeborahVIPDined on 10/26/2014When I made my reservation, there was no mention of the "special" Sunday night menu. No one replied when I indicated 2 out of 4 guests did not eat meat. Most of the food was inedible. We ordered Arugala Salad, the raspberry vinegrette was over powering. Their egg dishes were covered in dark ugly sauces. We ordered Marghretta pizza, which arrived looking pretty,but cold and not appealing. The crust may have been tasty when first made, many hours later they were clammy and a major rip off.The setting was loud but pleasant, and the service acceptable.Dessert was pie, their specialty, and sadly were mostly tasteless. Perhaps it's true, you can only eat bbq in Memphis. What a shame.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/26/2014Had heard great things. Unfortunately, we went on a Sunday evening not knowing that the menu is the brunch menu all day so the options are breakfast food or pizza. We ordered pizza and two sides. The grits were fantastic and so were the sourkraut balls. The pizza however was terrible. It was burnt with too few toppings and definitely not worth the money.Special Features:
- Food was delicious!LadyDinTNDined on 10/26/2014I normally go to Hog and Hominy for lunch or an early dinner, so this was my first brunch experience. It was fabulous! I had a mixed group of kids and adults, so I was not sure how their palate was going to adjust. Everyone LOVED their food. My daughter (11) got the Italian toast and at almost every bite. My boys (both teenagers) had the Steak and Eggs and devoured it (and were stuffed...it's a lot of food). My huband ordered the RedEye pizza and could not stop raving about it (It sounded kinda' weird on the menu...pork belly, egg, and celery...but was delighful). We also had a fritatta, a shrimp and grits, and started with 2 orders of poutine...delish! My advice...make reservations. It fills up quickly,.Special Features:
- New TrySpecialEveningDined on 10/24/2014Had heard about this place and decided to try it. Nice and quiet early in the evening - gets going as the night progresses. Full tables by the time we left. Great atmosphere and great food. Tried several dishes to sample. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Will not be going backSallyDined on 10/23/2014We were disappointed in the food. I had the Hot Brown, nothing special, just okay. Hubby had shrimp and grits. He didn't care for his. We also had collards and creamed corn. Collards had too much vinegar and corn was okay. I had what they called gelato, nothing like real gelato. I was charged $9 for two small scoops. Was not told it would cost $2 extra to get two kinds. Hubby had Beauregarde, which was good. Bill was $56.81 for lunch.
- An Amazing ExperienceLebronJamesDined on 10/18/2014My friend and I just came to Memphis for a weekend getaway. We would Google placing to eat and see that morning and start our venture. To our surprise Hog and Hominy was top on the list. We made reservations for 5 but the bar opens and 4 so of course we went for 4 lol. Will, was our bartender he's great he took time to explain the different drinks and every one I had I wasn't disappointed at all. Once our table became available we were seated and feast began. The great thing about the menu sections is that they're small plates so you can actual try many of their meal chooses. All and all its a GREAT ENVIRONMENT with AMAZING FOOD!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodhate2cookDined on 10/18/2014This was our first time to visit the restaurant, but won't be our last. The waiter was very friendly and helpful with the menu. The food was in small portions so we were able to share a few of the offerings, and they were all delicious.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/12/2014Noise level was too much to hold a conversation. We should have picked a different spot for the purposes we had in mind. This is a great spot to have a good time. I would go back.Special Features:
- Great Get TogetherTimeZoneTravelerVIPDined on 10/10/2014Went on a whim with a fella from Wiseacre and some old friends...it was the first trip for all of us and it did not disappoint. I highly recommend this place. All of the food was spectacular: three pizzas but the meatballs were the best. I'll definitely go back.Special Features:
- Italian with a twistCrinkVIPDined on 10/9/2014The menu is adventurous, combining Italian style with Southern food favorites. We liked the biscuit gnocchi and the Gulf Shrimp with corn. There is an extensive pizza menu too. Plates are "mezza" but not as small as the usual tapas plate. Great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diner more than satisfieddelicatessenaDined on 10/6/2014I really love this place because it's classy but not uptight. The food is great and tickles your senses. I think the word is "cool". Now the challenge is to keep it this way as it gets more popular. Good luck! This diner is pulling for you! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the pizzas!suthrntastrDined on 9/30/2014This was my second visit. The cocktail menu is inventive and tasty. The pizzas are to die for. I highly recommend including some side vegetables with your order, they're just as good as the main course. Be sure to save room for dessert, they are just as deserving of your time as everything else. Having only eaten here at lunch, I can say that the room is quiet, even though most of the tables were occupied by the time we left. It's a great place to enjoy a meal and quiet conversation. I intend to make this restaurant one of my mandatory stops every time I visit Memphis. A loyal fan!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Order off the top of the menu.DinerDined on 9/25/2014Bottom menu not so good. Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- happydinerhappydinerDined on 9/21/2014We were leaving church later and thanks to Opentable I could make this reservation in 45 minutes for two. I had heard it had a good Sunday Brunch. Their 'Shrimp and Grits' were the best with barbecue sauce. We had a awesome waiter which help make our experience at your restaurant good. My Mimosa and my husband's Bloody Mary were great!!!! Thanks for a good, dining experience!!!!!Special Features:
- Always a delightbigmonty51Dined on 9/20/2014We have always enjoyed having some old favorites, with some new and untried possibilities. Makes for a fun, tasty evening. We brought a friend from Austin Texas here and he raved about it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good flavors but Poor ValueJonathanVIPDined on 9/17/2014They develop nice flavors, however, the portions are incredibly small. The Sweetbreads were a small pile of tiny pieces the size of popcorn which eliminates the textural enjoyment. The short ribs were sliced very thin with only about 4 or 5 small pieces for $14. Less meat than an average sandwich. The shrimp plate was ridiculous. $10 for three tiny shrimp. PLEASE!!!! The pizza was fine albeit very chewy.
- Great meal, as alwaysMemphisMichVIPDined on 9/15/2014Noise level, on a Monday night, crazy loud!!! It's fine, but just be aware, you may be yelling to hear each other at the table. Got two pizzas and the fried rice and the gnocchi, so hard to choose cuz we wanted to order everything on the menu!!! As dishes went by, I made a mental note: must come back soon. Everything was yummy, we love Hog & Hominy, and I made the reservation the afternoon that we went, so glad I thought ahead!Special Features:
- Personal, attentive, and delish!gfkidmomDined on 9/3/2014Everyone was so thoughtful and attentive. We had someone with us with a severe gluten allergy, and our server was ready when we arrived with a marked up menu. He had already spoken with the chef, and was happy to describe how our food would be prepared, the ingredients, and what could be cooked a little differently. We were delighted with the food, and one of our guests from out of town was excited about the whole experience as well. Thanks to all for a lovely evening out with our family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lunch SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014The lunch menu is great and has a good variety of sandwiches, pizzas, and plates. Our server was very helpful and let us know a bit about the menu since it was our first time. Great experience!Special Features:
- Fantastic Food at Great PricesSophieDined on 8/23/2014We had the collards, a creamed corn with tarragon and parmesan (truly outstanding), pizza, the peanut butter pie and chocolate malt pie. Everything was fantastic and, considering that it's all made from scratch, the prices are great. Service was great. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cracker Crusts and Small PlatesKerrinhpVIPDined on 8/20/2014hog and Hominy is a small restaurant, so I was glad to have an Open Table Reservation. We went on a Wednesday night, and the place was packed, inside and out. Our reservation was at 7:30 pm, and we did not get seated until 7:50 pm. It has a Very Noisy atmosphere, and would be a difficult experience for those with hearing problems. The craft cocktail list had interesting choices. I enjoyed "The Back Porch", with Tito's, grapefruit and fresh cucumber. My group of three had 2 small plates ( compressed watermelon and biscuit gnocchi) and 2 pizzas (Sweet Jimmy and When I was in Tuscany). The food was delicious, especially the cracker crust pizza. We had 4 slices of leftover pizza, so our order could have easily feed four people.Special Features:
- OverbookedEatonWrightVIPDined on 8/20/2014We waited an hour past our reservation time to be seated. We were served a mound of "gourmet" french fries and given a drink for the inconvenience. My read on this place is that it got too hot, too quickly and service and food has suffered. One dish was so salty we could not eat it, but given the how poorly the evening had gone, we just left it on the plate. Personally, I find the concept wonderful but the ability to deliver was definitely off this night.Special Features:
- Great food well madeRiverQueenDined on 8/17/2014This is my second visit of Hog and Hominy and they never disappoint. Every dish is interesting, thoughtfully prepared and presented, and unusually fun to eat. The portions are just right. Try the parmesan gelato, or the Blasingame pie. The shirred egg is also a very interesting dish with the most fabulous chorizo toast points you could imagine. The servers know the food and describe it well. I appreciate having a bottle of water at the table, and their use of local sources of food is important to me. Hog and Hominy is a great extension of Andrew Michael. Keep it up guys, we'll be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/16/2014Ask for the chef's tasting menu. Very interesting combination of foods. Southern fusion cooking. Inexpensive corkage fee. Tasting menu is not on the website.Special Features:
- Great Food & DrinksjakettlerDined on 8/13/2014This place has some really good food pairings that you would never expect, but they work great. They have a really good cocktail selection as well, but they also have a couple of really good "mocktails" which worked great for me since I'm pregnant at the moment! Its got a good bar scene, but its also fairly loud in there, so it was definitely kid friendly because if your kid were to cry no one would probably even hear it, ha! All the pizzas are really good, but I also recommend the gnocchi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice surprisedecaturdinersDined on 8/9/2014The menu is really unusual and both our pizza and our Gulf Shrimp small plate were extraordinary. We loved the unexpected spiciness of both. Be sure to make reservations. It is small and fills up fast. We will be going back to try some other menu items, definitely!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hog wildRockDined on 8/8/2014H$H was great for the second time. Food was excellent. Will surely go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Our first time time here and it couldn't have been any better. Our server was incredible. The good was the best we have had in Memphis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh Veggies and Unique PairingsOldGuynotFoodieDined on 8/6/2014Recently took a co-worker to Hog and Hominy who is a vegetarian. Plenty of menu items that are "animal free" and tasty. My co-worker had the "shroom" pizza. We shared the spaghetti squash (very good) and compressed watermelon (very unique flavors). I had a few shrimp to satisfy my need for some "animal food". Service was very good - attentive without being over done. Liked it so much, took my wife this week for a quick bite before going downtown for an event. Good menu, varied selection, uses fresh produce from local farm (nice) and good desserts. It is noisy - concrete floors and sheetrock walls makes for a pretty good echo - but not unbearable. If you want a little quieter - sit outside if weather permits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch!ChrisVIPDined on 8/3/2014Definitely get the BBQ Shrimp and Grits! great service, i'll be going back - too many things on the menu that I still want to trySpecial Features:
- Can't say enough good stuff!EDogDined on 8/2/2014You've read the other reviews... you know what to expect. My recommendations: Get the poutine! Over-indulgent? Yes. Worth it? OH YES! And get a pizza: We had The Iowa on our most recent visit. Corn, leeks, guanciale, and teliggio. SO GOOD! Wood-fired oven perfection= char on the edges. If you don't like char, stick to the chains. Dish of the Season: Fried Green Tomatoes! I'm not a tomato fan, but I'm ok with "fried green." This dish was amazing! Thick fried crust. Topped with shredded chicken thighs... AND chow chow relish (which I don't usually like)... AND sliced fresh peaches. Crazy combination... killer dish! Dessert: Don't even bother to ask... just get the Peanut Butter Pie. It's the South. It's PB. And it's pie. Just do it!Special Features:
- great spotmortDined on 8/1/2014A hidden local gem. Went for lunch. Great food all around. Excellent service. Menu entices you into wanting to order one of everything. Will be going back.Special Features:
- The following 61 reviews are from the hog and Hominy reviews archive.
- Interestingly fabulous!AnthonyDined on 7/26/2014This restaurant is absolutely great. The best way I can describe it is southern comfort food with a twist. I loved it! Good prices and awesome food. The noise level was very high, but it was still worth the visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious food made for sharingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014great spot for my birthday party as dishes are great for sharing. the foodies among us loved the interesting dishes and pizzas were handtossed, thin crust and sublime. though the crab claws dish was actually tiny claws and the wait staff should have told us that everything else was generous and delicious. the fried green tomatoes were great!Special Features:
- Great FoodCAFoodieDined on 7/21/2014Hog and Hominy has great food and fun energetic environment. I really enjoyed my Old Fashion cocktail and the peanut butter pie is as good as advertised. The meatballs and shirt ribs were great and the pizza is very flavorful. Only complaint is the parking. Will be returning soon!Special Features: