hog and Hominy
707 W Brookhaven Cir
Memphis, TN 38117Neighborhood:
PizzeriaPrice: $30 and under
hog and Hominy
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hogandhominy.com/
- Phone: 9012077396x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday Funday: 11:00am - 10:00pm
Late Night Hours: Thursday - Saturday: 10:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Italian, Contemporary Southern, Pizzeria
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from hog and Hominy
What happens when you combine a brick oven, family meals & bocce courts with southern cookin’, a lively bar & a love of pork?Continued
Hog & Hominy, that's what happens.
Hog & Hominy only reserves half of our tables. We gladly accept walk ins.
Hog & Hominy, that's what happens.
Hog & Hominy only reserves half of our tables. We gladly accept walk ins.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
hog and Hominy - Best Restaurants in Memphis ›
hog and Hominy reviews from OpenTable diners
107 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (82)neighborhood gem (62)hot spot (36)great for lunch (27)great for outdoor dining (27)special occasion (24)good for groups (24)great for brunch (23)vibrant bar scene (21)late-night find (18)kid-friendly (11)notable wine list (8)romantic (3)Show More
- Will not be going backOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/23/2014We were disappointed in the food. I had the Hot Brown, nothing special, just okay. Hubby had shrimp and grits. He didn't care for his. We also had collards and creamed corn. Collards had too much vinegar and corn was okay. I had what they called gelato, nothing like real gelato. I was charged $9 for two small scoops. Was not told it would cost $2 extra to get two kinds. Hubby had Beauregarde, which was good. Bill was $56.81 for lunch.
- An Amazing ExperienceLebronJamesDined on 10/18/2014My friend and I just came to Memphis for a weekend getaway. We would Google placing to eat and see that morning and start our venture. To our surprise Hog and Hominy was top on the list. We made reservations for 5 but the bar opens and 4 so of course we went for 4 lol. Will, was our bartender he's great he took time to explain the different drinks and every one I had I wasn't disappointed at all. Once our table became available we were seated and feast began. The great thing about the menu sections is that they're small plates so you can actual try many of their meal chooses. All and all its a GREAT ENVIRONMENT with AMAZING FOOD!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodhate2cookDined on 10/18/2014This was our first time to visit the restaurant, but won't be our last. The waiter was very friendly and helpful with the menu. The food was in small portions so we were able to share a few of the offerings, and they were all delicious.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/12/2014Noise level was too much to hold a conversation. We should have picked a different spot for the purposes we had in mind. This is a great spot to have a good time. I would go back.Special Features:
- Great Get TogetherTimeZoneTravelerVIPDined on 10/10/2014Went on a whim with a fella from Wiseacre and some old friends...it was the first trip for all of us and it did not disappoint. I highly recommend this place. All of the food was spectacular: three pizzas but the meatballs were the best. I'll definitely go back.Special Features:
- Italian with a twistCrinkVIPDined on 10/9/2014The menu is adventurous, combining Italian style with Southern food favorites. We liked the biscuit gnocchi and the Gulf Shrimp with corn. There is an extensive pizza menu too. Plates are "mezza" but not as small as the usual tapas plate. Great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diner more than satisfieddelicatessenaDined on 10/6/2014I really love this place because it's classy but not uptight. The food is great and tickles your senses. I think the word is "cool". Now the challenge is to keep it this way as it gets more popular. Good luck! This diner is pulling for you! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the pizzas!suthrntastrDined on 9/30/2014This was my second visit. The cocktail menu is inventive and tasty. The pizzas are to die for. I highly recommend including some side vegetables with your order, they're just as good as the main course. Be sure to save room for dessert, they are just as deserving of your time as everything else. Having only eaten here at lunch, I can say that the room is quiet, even though most of the tables were occupied by the time we left. It's a great place to enjoy a meal and quiet conversation. I intend to make this restaurant one of my mandatory stops every time I visit Memphis. A loyal fan!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Order off the top of the menu.DinerDined on 9/25/2014Bottom menu not so good. Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- happydinerhappydinerDined on 9/21/2014We were leaving church later and thanks to Opentable I could make this reservation in 45 minutes for two. I had heard it had a good Sunday Brunch. Their 'Shrimp and Grits' were the best with barbecue sauce. We had a awesome waiter which help make our experience at your restaurant good. My Mimosa and my husband's Bloody Mary were great!!!! Thanks for a good, dining experience!!!!!Special Features:
- Always a delightbigmonty51Dined on 9/20/2014We have always enjoyed having some old favorites, with some new and untried possibilities. Makes for a fun, tasty evening. We brought a friend from Austin Texas here and he raved about it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good flavors but Poor ValueJonathanVIPDined on 9/17/2014They develop nice flavors, however, the portions are incredibly small. The Sweetbreads were a small pile of tiny pieces the size of popcorn which eliminates the textural enjoyment. The short ribs were sliced very thin with only about 4 or 5 small pieces for $14. Less meat than an average sandwich. The shrimp plate was ridiculous. $10 for three tiny shrimp. PLEASE!!!! The pizza was fine albeit very chewy.
- Great meal, as alwaysMemphisMichVIPDined on 9/15/2014Noise level, on a Monday night, crazy loud!!! It's fine, but just be aware, you may be yelling to hear each other at the table. Got two pizzas and the fried rice and the gnocchi, so hard to choose cuz we wanted to order everything on the menu!!! As dishes went by, I made a mental note: must come back soon. Everything was yummy, we love Hog & Hominy, and I made the reservation the afternoon that we went, so glad I thought ahead!Special Features:
- Personal, attentive, and delish!gfkidmomDined on 9/3/2014Everyone was so thoughtful and attentive. We had someone with us with a severe gluten allergy, and our server was ready when we arrived with a marked up menu. He had already spoken with the chef, and was happy to describe how our food would be prepared, the ingredients, and what could be cooked a little differently. We were delighted with the food, and one of our guests from out of town was excited about the whole experience as well. Thanks to all for a lovely evening out with our family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lunch SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014The lunch menu is great and has a good variety of sandwiches, pizzas, and plates. Our server was very helpful and let us know a bit about the menu since it was our first time. Great experience!Special Features:
- Fantastic Food at Great PricesSophieDined on 8/23/2014We had the collards, a creamed corn with tarragon and parmesan (truly outstanding), pizza, the peanut butter pie and chocolate malt pie. Everything was fantastic and, considering that it's all made from scratch, the prices are great. Service was great. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cracker Crusts and Small PlatesKerrinhpVIPDined on 8/20/2014hog and Hominy is a small restaurant, so I was glad to have an Open Table Reservation. We went on a Wednesday night, and the place was packed, inside and out. Our reservation was at 7:30 pm, and we did not get seated until 7:50 pm. It has a Very Noisy atmosphere, and would be a difficult experience for those with hearing problems. The craft cocktail list had interesting choices. I enjoyed "The Back Porch", with Tito's, grapefruit and fresh cucumber. My group of three had 2 small plates ( compressed watermelon and biscuit gnocchi) and 2 pizzas (Sweet Jimmy and When I was in Tuscany). The food was delicious, especially the cracker crust pizza. We had 4 slices of leftover pizza, so our order could have easily feed four people.Special Features:
- OverbookedEatonWrightVIPDined on 8/20/2014We waited an hour past our reservation time to be seated. We were served a mound of "gourmet" french fries and given a drink for the inconvenience. My read on this place is that it got too hot, too quickly and service and food has suffered. One dish was so salty we could not eat it, but given the how poorly the evening had gone, we just left it on the plate. Personally, I find the concept wonderful but the ability to deliver was definitely off this night.Special Features:
- Great food well madeRiverQueenDined on 8/17/2014This is my second visit of Hog and Hominy and they never disappoint. Every dish is interesting, thoughtfully prepared and presented, and unusually fun to eat. The portions are just right. Try the parmesan gelato, or the Blasingame pie. The shirred egg is also a very interesting dish with the most fabulous chorizo toast points you could imagine. The servers know the food and describe it well. I appreciate having a bottle of water at the table, and their use of local sources of food is important to me. Hog and Hominy is a great extension of Andrew Michael. Keep it up guys, we'll be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/16/2014Ask for the chef's tasting menu. Very interesting combination of foods. Southern fusion cooking. Inexpensive corkage fee. Tasting menu is not on the website.Special Features:
- Great Food & DrinksjakettlerDined on 8/13/2014This place has some really good food pairings that you would never expect, but they work great. They have a really good cocktail selection as well, but they also have a couple of really good "mocktails" which worked great for me since I'm pregnant at the moment! Its got a good bar scene, but its also fairly loud in there, so it was definitely kid friendly because if your kid were to cry no one would probably even hear it, ha! All the pizzas are really good, but I also recommend the gnocchi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice surprisedecaturdinersDined on 8/9/2014The menu is really unusual and both our pizza and our Gulf Shrimp small plate were extraordinary. We loved the unexpected spiciness of both. Be sure to make reservations. It is small and fills up fast. We will be going back to try some other menu items, definitely!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hog wildRockDined on 8/8/2014H$H was great for the second time. Food was excellent. Will surely go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Our first time time here and it couldn't have been any better. Our server was incredible. The good was the best we have had in Memphis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh Veggies and Unique PairingsOldGuynotFoodieDined on 8/6/2014Recently took a co-worker to Hog and Hominy who is a vegetarian. Plenty of menu items that are "animal free" and tasty. My co-worker had the "shroom" pizza. We shared the spaghetti squash (very good) and compressed watermelon (very unique flavors). I had a few shrimp to satisfy my need for some "animal food". Service was very good - attentive without being over done. Liked it so much, took my wife this week for a quick bite before going downtown for an event. Good menu, varied selection, uses fresh produce from local farm (nice) and good desserts. It is noisy - concrete floors and sheetrock walls makes for a pretty good echo - but not unbearable. If you want a little quieter - sit outside if weather permits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch!ChrisVIPDined on 8/3/2014Definitely get the BBQ Shrimp and Grits! great service, i'll be going back - too many things on the menu that I still want to trySpecial Features:
- Can't say enough good stuff!EDogDined on 8/2/2014You've read the other reviews... you know what to expect. My recommendations: Get the poutine! Over-indulgent? Yes. Worth it? OH YES! And get a pizza: We had The Iowa on our most recent visit. Corn, leeks, guanciale, and teliggio. SO GOOD! Wood-fired oven perfection= char on the edges. If you don't like char, stick to the chains. Dish of the Season: Fried Green Tomatoes! I'm not a tomato fan, but I'm ok with "fried green." This dish was amazing! Thick fried crust. Topped with shredded chicken thighs... AND chow chow relish (which I don't usually like)... AND sliced fresh peaches. Crazy combination... killer dish! Dessert: Don't even bother to ask... just get the Peanut Butter Pie. It's the South. It's PB. And it's pie. Just do it!Special Features:
- great spotmortDined on 8/1/2014A hidden local gem. Went for lunch. Great food all around. Excellent service. Menu entices you into wanting to order one of everything. Will be going back.Special Features:
- Interestingly fabulous!AnthonyDined on 7/26/2014This restaurant is absolutely great. The best way I can describe it is southern comfort food with a twist. I loved it! Good prices and awesome food. The noise level was very high, but it was still worth the visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious food made for sharingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014great spot for my birthday party as dishes are great for sharing. the foodies among us loved the interesting dishes and pizzas were handtossed, thin crust and sublime. though the crab claws dish was actually tiny claws and the wait staff should have told us that everything else was generous and delicious. the fried green tomatoes were great!Special Features:
- Great FoodCAFoodieDined on 7/21/2014Hog and Hominy has great food and fun energetic environment. I really enjoyed my Old Fashion cocktail and the peanut butter pie is as good as advertised. The meatballs and shirt ribs were great and the pizza is very flavorful. Only complaint is the parking. Will be returning soon!Special Features:
- Fun young foodie sceneBellabravaDined on 7/7/2014They were so nice and hospitable, and the patty squash baked with tomatoes was amazing. Good food and great casual, young, fun vibe. One big open room. Couldn't be more different from Andrew Michael in terms of vibe. But the food is similarly outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good timeGoodyc2cDined on 7/6/2014The only negative we had was the bar was working with a new cocktail menu and the drinks took longer than expected and the server had to keep apologizing. But the food and drinks were worth the short wait. Sweet breads app was killer, poutin had delicious gravy and the pizzas were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch reviewchicagovisitorDined on 7/3/2014I went for lunch this time, and thought the food was very good. We tried the pretzel hot dog, the marinara pizza and one of the white pizzas. It took 15 minutes for anyone to bring us water, and I was THIRSTY! We enjoyed the food, which came out pretty quickly. My only complaint was that 2 pizzas and a hot dog for lunch with a tip should not cost close to $50. That seemed very expensive for a lunch. I would return for dinner, but the pizzas and the lunch prices are too high.Special Features:
- MarcusIhatewhimpyburgers1Dined on 7/2/2014This is by far one of the best restaurants I have been to in a while. The was my first visit and in my opinion, the best way to judge a restaurant is by the burger and John T burger was absolutely delicious! I wish it was slightly larger. The fresh fruit instead of fries were pure awesomeness! I will definitely be going back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but too noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/1/2014I am only 40 and do not consider my noise tolerance to be low, but with the concrete floors and smooth ceilings, the place was just too loud. And this was on a Tuesday night. Too bad because it was date night and we really wanted to like the place.Special Features:
- New restaurant, great tasteadventurousomnivoreDined on 6/29/2014My aunt and I always try out new restaurants in the Memphis area, and this restaurant has been on our lis for a while. When we came, we were seated quick and the food came out fast. Everything was delicious and well plated. We will be coming againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pizza!MikeDined on 6/28/2014Pizzas are neapolitan style and some of the best I've had. Great cocktails. This is a bit of a hot spot and it does tend to get a little loud sometimes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 51 reviews are from the hog and Hominy reviews archive.
- Pig, pig, and more pig!Jadobar950Dined on 6/25/2014We have been here three times now. The food is outstanding! This time we had the arugula salad and two pizza's - Red White and Blue and Red Eye. Salad was crisp and tangy. Red White and Blue had the perfect amount of heat with the right amount of peppers. The Red Eye is the best pizza I have ever eaten. You don't think about an egg in the middle of your pizza, but with this pizza, it works and works and works. Great restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique atmosphere but loudAnonymous123Dined on 6/23/2014The atmosphere was very open and unique but that also was not conducive for easy conversation. I was there on a Monday evening and often struggled to hear the person I was dining with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.