1102 Pacific Ave
Santa Cruz, CA 95060Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hoffmanssantacruz.com/
- Phone: 8314200135
- Hours of Operation:
8:00 am to 9:00 pm weekdays;
8:00 am to 11:00 pm weekends
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Jayson Holzworth
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Jazz 7 nights a week starting at 6:30!
A word from Hoffman's Downtown
Hoffman's Downtown Santa Cruz serves breakfast, lunch and dinner from 8am daily. Famous for our DELICIOUS Eggs Benedict, and with our fabulous NEW full bar, Hoffman's is the perfect place for everything from Sunday brunch to an evening martini with the cool jazz humming in the background. Now open even later on Fridays and Saturdays, stop in for a cocktail and a snack off our UN-spendy $3 Bar Bites Menu served until 11pm!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Hoffman's Downtown - Best Restaurants in Santa Cruz ›
Hoffman's Downtown reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for brunch (16)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (8)good for groups (8)neighborhood gem (8)great for outdoor dining (6)fit for foodies (4)special occasion (2)late-night find (2)notable wine list (1)romantic (1)hot spot (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great Local SpotggevDined on 8/30/2014I've always loved Hoffman's for breakfast/brunch - they have amazing scones! But more recently I've come to appreciate their dinners, as well. Baby back ribs melt in your mouth, and prawns/salmon salad is delicious! Jazz in the background is a really nice dinner accompaniment.Special Features:
- Hoffmans - excellent cuisineSantaCruzianDined on 8/19/2014In busy Santa Cruz location downtown. Did not expect much but was pleasantly surprised. Food and service were excellent and I will go back. Wedge salad was incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place to hung aroundBerkeleyDinerDined on 8/16/2014Food - It's good, but not memorable. But, their menu has something for everybody. Atmosphere - I believe they have nightly live music, which adds grately to the ambiance. When we were there, music volume was moderate. So, we did not have problem carrying a converstation Service - We called to change our reservation with a short notice, but they graciously changed for us. Server was knowledgeable enough to give us a good recommendations.
- Wonderful place, we will go again!PM44Dined on 8/9/2014The service was great, the food was all good, the jazz music was a special treat for all 4 of us... the corner location is very active with people.. we really can't say anything else but,.. we hope to go again... thank you Hoffman's!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find on Yelp!GinascucinaVIPDined on 7/19/2014We found Hoffman's on Open Table, and checked it on Yelp. We had a nice experience. Our table was ready when we arrived ( surprising for Saturday night). Unique food choices, there was something for everyone, including our vegetarians, meat eaters and everything in between. The food was delicious. Every plate was finished, no left overs. Enjoyed the jazz band , and they weren't too loud that I could hold a conversation at the table. Service good. Not great, but good.Special Features:
- Love Hoffman'semdionneVIPDined on 6/28/2014This is one of my favorite place for brunch in santa cruz. The food is great, and I can always make the exact omelet I want. I'm always super satisfied when I eat there. And although brunches are my favorite thing to do there, I must say that they also have an excellent evening menu, and great jazz ambience. The staff is great, the service is excellent and fast, and they are always receptive to accommodate my food needs. The music and ambience is well suited for good conversations, and the place is very lively.Special Features:
- Great Eggs Benny, as always!EALoDined on 5/11/2014Mothers day, so a bit packed and slow to order, but food great and service great, as always. It was nice that they gave out free scones and little tartlets to us Moms too! The scones are awesome, never dried out like most, I like the cranberry one the best, but today they had a cinnamon one that was great. I almost always get the crab and avo benny and it did not disappoint, my hubby thought his regular Benny should have come on an English muffin, but I think they were just busy with the holiday and were out.Special Features:
- Underrated!scbestudentDined on 5/10/2014Hoffman's was not crowded at all. Maybe it's because the restaurant is more of a dinner place, but the breakfast was delicious. Definitely would recommend! No long wait, great food and service, and the free scones are amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 175 reviews are from the Hoffman's Downtown reviews archive.
- You Gotta Go!WoowatkinsDined on 4/20/2014Hoffmans is probably our favorite restaurant in the Santa Cruz area...period! Delectable food, friendly service, great jazz, good drinks, quiet calm atmosphere. And it all comes at a very reasonable price. What more could you want?!! We go again & again with or without our kids, and are NEVER disappointed! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Easter BreakfastloveyummyfoodDined on 4/20/2014We overall had a nice dining experience at Hoffman's. There were 4 of us with reservations at 10:45am. First 2 of us were seated promptly and provided with yummy scones. Drinks were brought to the table quickly but when ordered the 2nd set of drinks, took maybe 10 mins. Waitress waited another 15 mins to come and take our order and it took another 25 mins for our order to be served. It was Easter and they were busy however, a table of 4 that sat after us, somehow ordered before us. My scramble was delicious but other 2 diners ordered Eggs Benedict and they thought eggs were too vinegary. Overall, nice experience and we'll be back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Place for a Dinner DateCiceroDined on 3/29/2014My date and I stopped by Hoffman's late Saturday to get some dinner after a movie, and it was the perfect restaurant for us. Great seating, amazing service, and zesty entrees. We both left with a smile, and Hoffman's made a great evening just that much better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably comfortable and deliciousneesyboboDined on 2/27/2014Good old Hoffman's. We've eaten breakfasts, lunches, & dinners there for years. Recently their long luscious bakery counter has been replaced with a bar which seems very popular (Ed Hoffman is a master European baker who still makes wedding cakes & other goodies; their scones are the best in town). I almost always order the Pacific Rim Salad: a salmon filet & plump prawns over fresh greens, red & yellow bell pepper, macadamia nuts, puffy rice sticks & a sensational lime cilantro vinaigrette. My mom said the French Dip Sandwich was really good (meat sliced paper thin). A friend always goes for the meatloaf. Their French onion soup is well known. I only wish they'd skip the live jazz at night; it raises the noise level past my comfort zone.Special Features:
- yummy Benedict!EALoDined on 2/19/2014As always the Eggs Benedict did not fail me! I had the California Benedict with crab and avocado and it was yummy and enough for two! I also ordered the cranberry scone and it was delicious too. Good amount of food for the price, attentive service. I mostly come here for breakfast of brunch, but have been once for dinner as well and it was yummy too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Menu for Valentine's DayValerieSDined on 2/14/2014Ordered Crab & Artichoke Dip for starters, then boyfriend and I had the Baby Back Ribs and Lobster Ravioli. For dessert we finished it with the Double Chocolate Brownie Sundae... I can't stand it! Food alone was so delicious it cancels out everything elseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good and servicefoodfoodfoodDined on 2/14/2014Food was good and service members were nice and engagin. One issue I had was with the music, live by the way, was just too loud to talk normally.Special Features:
- disappointedfoodguyDined on 2/14/2014I know they have struggled over the years to find a center, something that defines them. Unfortunately they continue to confuse the diner with confusing selections that ultimately are not great. Many far better choices within walking distance.Special Features:
- Hearty fresh European-style cusineBigMikeDined on 2/14/2014Really enjoyed our Valentine's Day outing, and a few visits before. The kitchen is somewhere between German, French, and Belgian, so no crazy spices or funky eastern European ingredients. Renovation a couple of years ago has really perked the place up, and the kitchen is clearly dedicated to home-made details, from sauces to dressings. The veggies are locally grown and fresh, so the menu is not massive, but everything is delicious. Service is lovely, unpretentious, and come after 7 and you'll likely catch one of several jazz ensembles grooving gently in the front corner. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- A great find!PamelaDined on 2/12/2014We were looking for a quiet cafe that serves breakfast all day. We lucked upon Hoffman's. My omelette was perfect. The veggies (spinach, mushrooms & tomatoes) were fresh. The jack cheese & bacon was generous without being too much. The eggs were cooked just right. The Yukon Gold potatoes were hot and crunchy - just how I asked for them. The server was pleasant, helpful and kept our water glasses full without us having to ask. She also provided some commentary on local historical sites in Santa Cruz. All in all, it could not have been a better dining experience and we will DEFINITELY be going there again. My only regret is that we live nearly two hours from Santa Cruz, so we won't be able to eat there as often as I'd like.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time and even betterOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/9/2014Great time and even better food! Really enjoy the service and atmosphere! Had a great time and will be back!Special Features:
- Great food & service!emdionneVIPDined on 1/11/2014I booked my reservation last minute, and the food was amazing. The service was excellent, and we did have some special requests, and they were all taken into consideration with care. I recommend the Green Giant omelet for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy New Years EveLisaTVIPDined on 12/31/2013We were looking for a place for a nice dinner for New Years Eve near downtown, and found Hoffman's on Open Table. The place was hopping, but our table was ready on time, and we had friendly and prompt service from Callie. All the servers were dressed festively with New Years hats and lots of sparkles. There were special holiday cocktails, and a varied and reasonable menu. Food was great, service was prompt and friendly! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- YummyPattyLDined on 12/31/2013A lovely meal and excellent service all around. Only one thing. Server brought a CAN of beer w/o a glass and w/o pouring.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service, mediocre foodgmanscDined on 12/7/2013Went there for dinner before a movie. Service was wonderful and the interior is very pleasant. However, the food was bland and rather ordinary. For example, the chicken satay was undercooked and fleshy, as opposed to thin bbq'ed strips that one would expect. Peanut sauce was good, however. Been there for breakfast, which is excellent. Dinner, so so. We might try it again but will stick with burgers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Giving them another try...SuzDinnerDinerDined on 12/5/2013My first time here... and I'm not ready to make a recommendation yet. We went mainly to see what kind of music is being featured, and decided to have dinner instead of something off the bar menu. I had the Jaegerschnitzel. A nice mushroom sauce - but I expected something more tender. Cabbage & spaetzle were excellent, though, as was the berry cobbler dessert. I hope they have varied musicians. These guys played ok, but kind of a depressing 60's ballads playlist. I would have chosen something more upbeat, or maybe sought out some student jazz groups from one of the local colleges. Anyhoo... I'll give them another chance, as I liked the place.
- Thanksgiving DinnerPahaloaltoDined on 11/28/2013With our home kitchen out of service, we went to Hoffman's for Thanksgiving dinner. Hoffman's made the classic recipe, with just enough style and originality. I loved the host and the servers, who were at once welcoming and efficient. I only wish we had come later, because musicians were arriving as we were leaving. If you will forgive the Thanksgiving metaphor, Hoffman's ran it into the end zone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfortable dining with jazzOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 11/23/2013Reasonably priced with a nice variety of options--both traditional entrees and small plates. I've found their service at times to be lacking, but this Saturday night, despite the place being full, the waiter was very friendly and attentive. Lots of wines by the glass and now they now have a full bar. It is a good location for before/after a movie--it is comfortable and casual. The live jazz was a nice addition.Special Features:
- Volatile satisfactionAndroDined on 11/22/2013We had dinner here with a group of 6. Unfortunately there were two people performic live music so loud, that is was sometimes hard to understand each other. Service wasn't that qualified to answer all questions of our group properly. But 5 of us were really satisfied with the food, e.g. the meat loaf was outstanding! But one of our group ordered a medium-well steak and got a dry and absolutely dead well-done steak. Personally I would go there again but I would prefer a day when the musicians are not in the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Downtown DinongggevDined on 11/9/2013Hiffman's is known for their brunch, but they also have excellent dinners. Very good food and service, but a bit hard to talk over the noise.Special Features:
- Won't come backkarlyVIPDined on 10/26/20131st off, the scones and bacon are great. Outside of that, our brunch was tasteless. The potatoes were inedible, mushy, no seasoning and it tasted like freezer burn. I will eat most any breakfast potatoes, but couldn't stomach these. The scrambled eggs were flavorless, perhaps they thought I wanted Eggbeaters. We had to ask for refills of coffee and water. Perhaps it was an off day, but too many missteps to warrant a return trip in the near future for us.
- disappointedladiesweekendVIPDined on 10/5/2013this restaurant was participating in the restaurant week prix fix dinners. it got good reviews on open table and yelp so we decided to give it a try.read that the restaurant was featured on food network restaurant impossible -- i think they need a follow up show cause it didn't seem that they learned much the first time. they should have anticipated the crowds if they were participating in restaurant week and they didn't seem efficient in the kitchen. you would think with a prix fixed menu, they'd have had those items prepared in advance and ready to be fired when ordered. luckily for them the food was good when we finally got it.
- OverwhelmedCindyDined on 10/5/2013I normally love going to Hoffman's. It was Saturday night of Restaurant Week. For some reason, they got very behind with their orders. The staff was very apologetic and tried to take care of us as best they could. They were just put in a tough position. The food was good, not great. We still had a very nice time sitting outside, weather perfect, watching the people go by.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love Hoffman's, but...neesyboboDined on 10/5/2013We've gone to Hoffman's often over the years and it's very consistent (the Pacific Rim Salad is my favorite and their scones are divine!). We went during "Restaurant Week" in Santa Cruz. Many restaurants offer a 3-course prix-fixe meal for $25. Apparently Hoffman's wasn't prepared for their popularity! Staff was spread too thin, frantic. Their usual competent service got pretty ragged. I'd give "service" one star for all the mistakes that were made, except our server gets 5 stars - she was sweet, hard-working and accommodating - you could see she was doing everything possible to get us out of there in time for the symphony. I generally prefer Hoffman's for breakfast or lunch because they have live jazz at dinner and it's much too loud.Special Features:
- Great experience!DFullertonDined on 10/5/2013We went with a party of 5 for restaurant week. The servers were quick and accommodating and the food was well prepared. Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodmusicloverDined on 10/5/2013Appetizers we ordered were the baked crab served with several slices of bread and the pear salad which could've used a tad more dressing. The butternut squash ravioli and the sandabs were excellent. Maybe another pc of sandab would've been nice. Kind of small pieces. Desserts were great too. The mocha meringue and the ice cream puffs were DDDDelicious!! First time to Hoffman's. Will return to try other items off menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- friendly but slow serviceintrepidsDined on 10/5/2013From the baby back ribs with spicy cole slaw appetizers to the berry cobbler dessert and everything in between, the food was excellent. The service was friendly although as the evening progressed and the restaurant grew crowded, it was somewhat lacking. It took nearly half an hour for the dessert to arrive. Once we were finished we could see that others parties were waiting for our table but the check was a long time in coming- more than 20 minutes after we'd clearly finished everything. The live jazz was lovely and the Cactus Flower cocktail was worth going back for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service needs help!JKL5Dined on 10/4/2013The service was terrible. They were late in every category (greeting, taking orders, delivering orders). And when our orders were finally delivered they were incorrect.
- Restaurant Week Success StoryjerseyDined on 10/2/2013Went here to take advantage of the Restaurant Week specials. Had never been to Hoffman's, so we thought we would give it a try. The place was pretty empty when we got there (5:30). Service was very attentive and patient, a friend and I were catching up, and that delayed our ordering. The appetizers were fantastic and we savored every bite. The waiter asked if we wanted or entrees held until we finished. When we were done, the table was cleared quickly, and our food was out shortly. You could tell they made it fresh and it wasn't sitting under a hot lamp. Again, wonderful food. The same for dessert. By this time the restaurant had filled up, yet still provided great service. I would definitely go back on a regular night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed it very much. WillOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/31/2013Enjoyed it very much. Will return next time wr are In Santa Cruz.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful diningOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/27/2013Tasty menu choices -- very creative selections. Service is wonderful. We loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific service, great food!eaterDined on 6/16/2013Our party of six ate a wonderful post-UCSC-graduation dinner (on Father's Day, no less!) at Hoffman's. We were seated early and welcomed by the staff. Our vegetarian grad was disappointed to learn the black bean burger was sold out, only to find that the chef managed to find one (the last one!)....at least three servers came by to tell us the good news, along with the manager - a very happy ending!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.