Hofbrauhaus - Chicago
5500 Park Place
Rosemont, IL 60018Neighborhood:
GermanPrice: $30 and under
Hofbrauhaus - Chicago
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hofbrauhauschicago.com/
- Phone: 8476712739x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: German
- Executive Chef: Klaus Lotter
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We have an extensive catering menu
- Private Party Facilities: The famous Beer Hall (Schwemme) is the "historical heart" and main attraction of Hofbräuhaus Chicago. With its traditional beer hall design and live music nightly it is sure to be one of your favorite attractions in Chicago. The King Ludwig Room with its unique design and cozy athmosphere can accommodate up to 200 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Laurel Clark 847-671-2739x
- Entertainment: Hofbräuhaus Chicago offers exceptional, traditional Bavarian music nightly. Each month a new band from the Bavarian/Austrian European region performs. Hofbräuhaus Chicago diners can party, sing and participate with traditional beer hall music.
A word from Hofbrauhaus - Chicago
Hofbräuhaus Chicago is the first and only German micro brewery, beer hall, restaurant and beer garden to call Chicago home. Modeled after the legendary Hofbräuhaus in Munich, Germany, it takes pride giving you an experience as authentic and unforgettable as the 400-year-old original. Guests can savor schnitzels, sausages, Sauerbraten and pretzels, and some ingredients are even imported from abroad. The freshly brewed beer follows the purity law from 1516 using original recipes handed down by the Duke of Bavaria over 400 years ago. With its beer hall (Schwemme), King Ludwig Room, and Biergarten in summer, it's Oktoberfest every day. Hofbräuhaus Chicago also features live music nightly with bands from Germany and Austria. In addition, you can take a piece of Bavaria home from the gift shop stocked with authentic and unique Bavarian gifts & collectibles.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Hofbrauhaus - Chicago - Best Restaurants in Rosemont ›
Hofbrauhaus - Chicago reviews from OpenTable diners
83 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (69)kid-friendly (33)special occasion (32)great for outdoor dining (26)vibrant bar scene (24)late-night find (18)great for lunch (17)hot spot (15)neighborhood gem (7)fit for foodies (6)great for brunch (6)romantic (2)scenic view (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Fun place, food was just okaydrwojoVIPDined on 8/21/2014This is a fun place to eat with the entertainment and the great beer. The food is just okay. I'd recommend the roasted chicken, which was very tasty, but some of the other dishes are very heavy, so if this is not your thing, go simple. Service is excellent and attentive. And the beer. Very nice.Special Features:
- drinks impressive, food not so muchmeng1110pcsDined on 8/18/2014the food was OK to be fair, but for the location, i definitely expect better. on the upside - the service was great and i was served and greeted promptly even it being the middle of the day and them being short staffedSpecial Features:
- Great fun!ChuckandlinusDined on 8/16/2014We made reservations here assuming we were going to enjoy an authentic German dinner. We got that plus so much more. The band was terrific, although I think they should have stayed with the German tunes and away from the contemporary stuff. The stein holding contest was very entertaining, and the spanking shots were a hoot to watch!!! The crowd included all ages, including a couple of parties, and everyone seemed to be having a fantastic time. The food and the were authentic and delicious, and fairly priced. The bartender had a bit of difficulty when we asked him for several shots, but that was our only disappointment. We will definitely be back soon.Special Features:
- No likeness to German food at all!FoodiefamilyDined on 8/15/2014We travel to Germany often and enjoy the cuisine and were very excited to try this place. We hated every minute of it - we dine in the Hofbrauhaus in Munich and have never had people standing on chairs signing or having their backside paddled or being shamed into having to partake in this nonsense by the band leader. Food was below par and I struggled through half of the schnitzel before I finally gave up - tough meat, so thing it was almost invisible and dry as dog food. I had to ask for more lemon just to make add some moisture to the dish. And the last mouthful had a hair - I know that is something that is sometimes not the fault of the restaurant - it was the icing on the cake though. My husband said the beer was just ok.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014food was not good. meat (jagerschnitzel) was dry and tough. other meals not much better. beer and pretzel good. desserts fair to good. nothing we were served would make me want to come back. service was spotty. we had to call the waiter back because he forgot an entrée. coffee, both caffeinated and not was so weak and tasteless that we didn't drink. thought about sending it back but at that point seemed pointless. overall poor experience. sad excuse for a hofbrauhaus.
- A great timeToniDined on 8/3/2014We always have a great time at Hofbrauhaus! The food, beer and entertainment are worth the drive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, fun atmosphereHungrygirlDined on 7/31/2014I brought a group for a Thursday night dinner and it was lots of fun. 2 of the couples were from out of the country and had never experienced anything quite like this so it was special for them. Food is good and so is beer. Having been to Germany more than a dozen times I found the food quite authentic. Very loud with live music at the table, dancing on the chairs so not a place for conversation. Outside might be better if you want to talk. A fun place for once in awhile group visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just like in MunichERL1482Dined on 7/18/2014We have been back several times taking different friends. Very casual, great food and beer. A fun place to go. Can be a bit loud at times.Special Features:
- Great Food!FredLDined on 7/18/2014I keep returning to Hofbrauhaus because I just can get enough of the wonderful food. Trying to find good, traditional German food is getting harder and harder these days. Hofbrauhaus's meau has an extensive selection of German and Bavarian dishes as well as options for those who aren't ready to take the plunge into rich German food. Although the interior can get rather loud at times, the live entertainment and servers really bring the feel of Munich to the states. A must for those seeking a change of pace for lunch or dinner!Special Features:
- Great Food but bring $$$!Truebloodfan94Dined on 7/15/2014My family loved this place. The food was great. The beer was great although mixed drinks were way over priced and watered down. The service could have been better. Had to wave her down anytime we needed something. Music was awesome. Pretzels were not that great. We found them cold and dry. Over all we had a good time. Just make sure you have lots of money. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Dunkelbirthday24VIPDined on 7/6/2014The Hofbrauhaus has a very vibrant atmosphere. It is a beer hall and it is loud. It is typical German Oktoberfest style with a live band in the evening, sing along songs, dance along activities (including dancing on the tables) and even some cover songs. You can get spanked by your waiter or waitress after drinking a shot if you want. Don't ask. You have to experience it. I would watch first before committing to being publicly humiliated. The beer is made on the premises and is of excellent quality. I recommend the dunkel or the hefe weizen. This place is not cheap. The average person will spend a least $25 with no beer or tip. The beer is $14 for the full litre. Go wit the full litre. You're going to get a second one anyway.Special Features:
- Outside diningCosmo7VIPDined on 7/1/2014What a great place to enjoy the summer weather! The outside was perfect for a nice German food meal with a tankard of dunkel Bier! Ausgezeichnet! DankeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great entertainmentEnjoyDinningDined on 6/21/2014It was a very great and alive atmosphere. The food was okay but the for that entertainment I would totally do it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stein LiftJustDVIPDined on 6/20/2014Went with two other couples and weren't quite sure what to expect. This was fun! Entertainment was uplifting and energetic. Food was very good and filling, as most German restaurants. Noise level was extremely loud, which added to the energy. One of the best evenings we've had. Ended perfectly with a fireworks display.Special Features:
- Date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/18/2014We came for our wedding anniversary and absolutely loved the experience!Special Features:
- Another great lunchDavidVIPDined on 6/17/2014Three times in the past month I have found myself here for lunch or dinner. I would certainly reocmmend it to anyone.Special Features:
- Love the food, Lust after the BeerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/15/2014Went here for Father's Day 2014 with my family of 5, made a dinner reservation...and of course we were 15m in late in getting to the restaurant. We were seated right away, while being told the live music would start in 10 minutes (one of the reasons we choose Hofbrauhaus), and our table was right in front of the bandstand. The tables are long multi-party tables with high back benches on each side, very comfortable. Our server was around in good time and had our drink order returned in a flash, kids had soda, wife had wine I had beer....oh the beer...I could go on for hours about the beer. Food was great, service was prompt and attentive without being annoying or absent. Kids had a great time talking to the party seated with us.Special Features:
- Tables full of funDavidVIPDined on 6/11/2014Many different groups were at the restaurant while I was there. Everyone was having a great time.Special Features:
- Good bar scene , Horrible foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/4/2014Food is very overpriced for its poor quality. The large pretzel seemed rather stale and mustards were bland. Meals were large quantities but poor quality - head up to Mader's in Milwaukee if you actually want some German food. The atmosphere is ok but surely doesn't live up to the original in Munich.Special Features:
- strakitaDined on 5/27/2014Food was good..... I can't say anything bad about any of the items we ordered. It is very very loud with the live music. If you are looking for a quiet dinner out this is not the place. It is great for groups and the staff is lots of fun.Special Features:
- Good atmosphere.LisaDined on 5/25/2014Our waitress was good. Disappointed in this reservation service, when booked with OpenTable there's a spot for comments so I advised there we were cue of Mark's b'day. Nothing special happened.Disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always funMNO1VIPDined on 5/24/2014The "show" at Hofbrauhaus is as good as the food which is outstanding. You can go with complete strangers that all speak a different language and still have a great time. There is so much activity it is electric.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!RadioRossDined on 5/18/2014This will be our 6th visit and the Hofbrauhaus never fails to to deliver on their promise: Great German food, Bier and entertainment. Highly recommended though it is NOISEY. If you are going for the music, you will be disappointed only because it is extremely difficult to hear the band. Consider the music as part of the background or ask for an outside table if you want a little more quiet ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice atmosphere, food only okChiDiner99Dined on 5/17/2014Reviews on this place seem mixed. I'm in the camp that got lukewarm food but it tasted good. The beer was very cold and delicious. We arrived just before the dinner rush, and the atmosphere was calm, but I could see it getting noisy as the evening wears on. I would go back with a group for the atmosphere (and beer) more than the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- To loudMarzDined on 5/16/2014Everthing echos so you really can't hear the entertainment. The food was like instation food. Good beer.Special Features:
- Entertaining a la carte...KasiebDined on 5/11/2014Known for the beer, not so much the food. Went there with party of seven for mothers day. Seated right away. Food was okay and ordinary. Surprised that jumbo appetizer pretzels didn't come with anything to dip in, but available to purchase at additional charge. Definitely would suggest as place for larger groups to go for drinks and appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Night Ever!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014The best entertainment and authentic German food ever. The atmosphere is exciting and enjoyable and the German band was the highlight of the evening. I will no doubt being coming back again and again.Special Features:
- The following 360 reviews are from the Hofbrauhaus - Chicago reviews archive.
- Fun night outSuburbanTouristDined on 5/2/2014Went on a Friday, it was surprisingly empty inside. Still, my party of four was seated at the same table as another party. I know this is the norm in Germany, but for us it was a bit off-putting. Anyway, they had a fun, energetic band playing, uh, primarily wedding music (Sweet Caroline, Brown Eyed Girl, Friends in Low Places, etc), and the food was good. Not the best value for the money in the suburbs, but not the wurst (ha) either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy but LOUD!ImnursemurrayDined on 4/26/2014I'm German, so I love authentic German food. We ate at here this weekend. The service was good, the food was excellent! I had the pork tenderloin with mushroom gravy, spaetzle and cranberry sauce. The pork was excellent - I cut it with my fork! My husband had the wurst plate, and loved it. Our only complaint is how loud it was. We did not come with a group - if we had, I might not have been so bothered by the noise level, because we probably would have been contributing to it. That being said, we sat across from one another and literally shouted at each other! Not a "relaxing" dinner at all. This is defnitely a restaurant for big, loud groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and great foodAlegnaDined on 4/24/2014Great food and fun scene. The employees put on a good show if you can call it that. They have guys singing and waiters walking around paddling people. It is a lot of fun.Special Features:
- A little disappointing.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/23/2014The taste of my dinner was very good but it was barely warmed. When I mentioned to the server that my meal was cold and I prefer my food piping hot he said, "oh". No offer to warm it, so I ate it. One of the others in out party had a very fatty piece of meat and also barely warm. Perhaps we did not have enough to drink before ordering. One of six meals served at out table was warm. Very expensive for the quality. Musicians came around to the tables looking for tips. I found that rather odd.Special Features:
- Saturday at HofbrauhausOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/19/2014Service was quick and friendly. Unfortunately our food was cold once it arrived. Beer was nice and cold and live entertainment from the band was very fun!I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT TIMEOne2threeDined on 4/13/2014We had a party of 6 for a Birthday celebration and we all had a great time. The food was good but the service and hospitality was superb. The beer was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was fine, and representativeRachelDined on 4/9/2014Food was fine, and representative of German fare I have had in the past. The staff were high energy, with a band playing in costume, and seeking audience participation. There was a lot of entertainment going on, making conversation a little hard to have at times, but a fun environment with good food and fair pricing.Special Features:
- Authentic GermanAMAZINGVIPDined on 4/6/2014You truly feel like you are in Germany when dining here - it's been a great addition to the Chicago area. Authentic food and live music, and great beer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good bday dinnerMoparjoeDined on 4/5/2014To start the food was very good but little pricey. I had the sauerbraten and the pork roast combination plate. Some other members of my party tried the jäger schnitzel and the chicken schnitzel both thought the food was great. My 3 year loved the bench dance. Atmosphere was energetic but at times a little loud so table conversations were a little difficult. The problem came when the bill arrived we had some visa gift cards and one card went thorough no problem the other not so much and the waitress said she had to enter the correct amount at the end of day or something to that effect because it would not take. Seemed shady it worked out but maybe she should have explained a little better. Overall I would recommend going and I would go backSpecial Features:
- Just like in Munich!Cosmo7VIPDined on 4/2/2014Just a miniature version of the Munich establishment! Food is very German Beer is ausgezeichnet!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Having been to the HofbrauhausManbearpigDined on 3/29/2014Having been to the Hofbrauhaus in Munich, I was expecting to be disappointed in the Chicago version. To my surprise, though, this place was really great! The live German band played the entire time I was there, and every 15 minutes or so would lead the entire hall in a drinking song or chant. They had the same sort of long tables, sit with your neighbor style as Munich, and while the place wasn't quite the same as the original, they recreated it close enough for me to go back. My one complaint is that everything is pretty expensive, with most of the menu items that you will want to get ranging from $18-25, plus the signature 1L stein of beer will set you back $13.Special Features:
- Great new atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/23/2014This restaurant was a great new atmosphere. First time experiencing a german brewery such as this and I had a great time. The service was alright. Our waitress seemed to be stressed, with all the tables she had to wait on and wasn't that welcoming. With that aside, the beer was amazing. My group of friends and I had a great time laughing at others and doing the chicken dance on the tables. The band is great! They are very friendly and kept the energy going.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- celebrationpeanutDined on 3/22/2014I've been here a lot and it's always a great time, even if you're not there to celebrate something it always feels like a big community party. The servers and hostess are very nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.