Ho-Ho-Kus Inn & Tavern
1 East Franklin Turnpike
Ho-Ho-Kus, NJ 07423Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Ho-Ho-Kus Inn & Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hohokusinn.com/
- Phone: 2014454115x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch/Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 10:00pm; (11:00pm on Weekends)
Sunday: Brunch: 11:00am - 3:00pm, Lunch/Dinner: 11:30 am - 10 pm
Tavern Bar open late night.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Andrew Rodriguez
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Private dining for personal occasions, such as weddings, receptions, rehearsal dinners, showers, birthdays, anniversaries, repasts, as well as business dining offering AV overhead screen and computer compatible equipment as well as use of podium and easel. IPod music personalization available. Off site business catering available as well.
- Entertainment: View our website for seasonal and weekly entertainment
- Special Events: Monthly Wine Dinners, Craft Beer Dinners and Tastings, Wine Tasting Seminars, Themed Teas, Themed Holiday Events, Outdoor Summer BBQ Events, Happy Hour Specials, BYOB Mondays, Weekday Specials, Sunday Brunch Buffet
A word from Ho-Ho-Kus Inn & Tavern
A local landmark and beloved culinary institution, the historic and charming Ho-Ho-Kus Inn & Tavern features five magnificently restored dining rooms and a stylish Library bar. This neighborhood gem offers a modern take of classic American cuisine, with an emphasis on locally sourced, farm fresh produce and sustainable ingredients. Its upscale atmosphere is family friendly, with a more relaxed smart casual dress code.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ho-Ho-Kus Inn & Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (19)great for outdoor dining (19)romantic (16)neighborhood gem (14)fit for foodies (8)great for brunch (8)good for groups (8)notable wine list (8)great for lunch (5)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014The food and atmosphere was great. Portions were perfect and service was superb. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet eleganceMSNYCVIPDined on 8/11/2014HHI continues to be a outstanding local restaurant. HIgh end and pricey, but food is well prepared and presented; service is professional and attentive; and the decor is historic and elegant. A nice place for a quiet intimate dinner that does not disappoint.Special Features:
- Outside in SummerTheDinerVIPDined on 8/11/2014If it's a sunny day it is great to go to the Inn. Food a little dry and needs some umph.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always order meatFoodie13Dined on 8/7/2014We have been there for a few special occasions and every time the food is amazing, The service is perfect. This last time my husband decided to get fish to mix it up. The portion was incredible small for pricing it at $32 and the rest of the dish was just mediocre. Learned our lesson, stick with meat. They cook it perfect every time! Would still go back any chance I get though!Special Features:
- Pleasant AfternoonRobertaDined on 7/31/2014It was really nice to sit on the patio on a beautiful day. The Thai Salad I had was delicious and the staff was pleasnat and didn't make us feel rushed. My friend and I relaxed and enjoyed our lunch and had a lovely afternoon.Special Features:
- Best Sunday brunch buffetton1010Dined on 6/29/2014This was a return trip for us to Ho-Ho-Kus Inn's fabulous Sunday brunch buffet which features way more interesting and healthful dishes than your average buffet. In addition to a variety of special salads, fruit, cheeses, cold fresh vegetable plates and frittatas, breakfast selections included Eggs Benedict, french toast, bacon, sausage and a variety of breads and small pastries. Hot food included eggs prepared to order, sliced turkey and beef, soup, and hot lunch trays of chicken, fish and vegetable dishes, all followed by a beautiful display of desserts. Mimosas are served beginning at noon. Are you hungry yet? If so, recommend you try it...no better brunch anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice DayMikeyDined on 6/26/2014Great night with my wife. it was a beautiful night and we ate outside on the patio. The food was delicious, the wine and dessert were tasty as well. The only issue we had was our waiter who, in the beginning was attentive, but he dissapeared after awhile and we waited a long time for our second glass of wine before ordering our dessert. A little more time should be given to ask customers if things are all right during your dinner to see if anything is needed. All in all we had a great time and will return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First experience at Ho-Ho-Kus InnNanyhamaDined on 6/23/2014This was my first time dining at the Ho-Ho-Kus Inn although I am from the area. I went specifically as I was interested in the Eat Drink Local event. Both my friend and I took advantage of the prix fix menu and were very happy with our choices. Everything was delicious! Plus, what a great idea to support the local markets. There was outside dining but we choose to sit inside which was lovely. It was a very good meal and I will definitely return there.Special Features:
- Took foreverOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/20/2014Service was horrible!!!!! Not rushing back .server didnt place dinner order until he fully cleared all our appys. . We sat over 45 min before we got our appys. CrazySpecial Features:
- fie diningmudger343Dined on 6/14/2014went to the inn for a birthday lunch and enjoyed it very much. the atmosphere in the cocktail lounge was just right and the food was very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Building and kitchen need workmelitatdVIPDined on 6/1/2014Food ordinary and building needs maintenance. Service was poor. Noise level was bothersome. Will not be returning.
- Food great specialty drinks amazingRLJ111176Dined on 5/31/2014It has a romantic ambience and you can really dress up or down. We were placed in a beautiful dining room with candles lit up in the fireplace but it was a little isolating. There was one other couple in the room with us. We would have preferred to be seated around a few more people. Their was a specialty drink on the menu that contained Hendricks Gin, cucumber, and rosemary...was AMAZING. Instead of the standard before dinner drink, we opted to have a drink after dinner and the bar had a good vibe. The bartenders and wait staff were exceptional and I would defintely recommend this establishment whether you want a casual yet classy evening or are looking for a place for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Pretty Good BrunchFishPoppDined on 5/18/2014Firstly, I will start with the positive. The food was really very good, and the buffet was beautiful. I would arrive on the early side since it does get a bit crowded. The service was just OK, which is typically fine, but this is a nice place so I expect a little more attention to detail than what we got. We went for our anniversary, and the day before I had confirmed a table in the main dining room. Found out when we arrived that there was a party in there so we wound up in the small room that gets a bit stuffy when the large table is seated and you can hear everyone's conversation. If you are booking the brunch, ensure you inform them of any disabilities, because you could wind up huffing it up and down the stairs to get your food.Special Features:
- Great for eating outside and lunchMIEatsDined on 5/11/2014This is a cute restaurant with 250 year old history. I have had lunch outside on their patio which was a delight. We went for dinner and ate inside. The atmosphere was nice, service was very good but food was average for what you pay. I recommend for the atmosphere and service but the food could be betterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day Brunch dissapointingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/11/2014For the price ($30 per adult) was very underwhelmed by the quality of the food and service was average at bestSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 221 reviews are from the Ho-Ho-Kus Inn & Tavern reviews archive.
- We will returnFrequentDinerVIPDined on 4/14/2014Over all a really nice dinner that exceeded out expectations. Some over and under seasoning, but overall we enjoyed and will go back. The outdoor patio looked great and we will definitely enjoy it this summer.Special Features:
- Disappointed But UnderstoodHollyDined on 4/13/2014Very lovely place, but with such a small menu and when 3 out of the 8 things on the menu were not available and happen to be all the meals we wanted and it was a birthday celebration on Palm Sunday, we decided to pay for our drinks and leave. However our server and bartender totally understood and would not take our $$. Not sure if I'll be back. Of course the reason the food rating is low is because we didn't actually taste it but you can't submit this review without one. So I cannot comment on the food.
- Unimpressed..teaneckfoodieVIPDined on 3/23/2014As a foodie, I know my expectations are high but to not have ONE fish option at a $30pp brunch is unacceptable. The manager's response to this query was "we ran out of salmon LAST NIGHT". Cute converted house and probably great for families and groups. Service was definitely good.Special Features:
- Food was very good, sidesRonLDined on 3/22/2014Food was very good, sides and sauces were uneven. Cold puree with the duck surprised everyone, should have been warm. Use of fruits and sauces was a bit on the heavy handed side, perhaps fewer and not always piled on top of each dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great in every way!LokinDined on 3/15/2014This restaurant offers fine dining in a formal yet inviting dining room or a cozy dimly lit pub. The bar is lively and fun , the food is delicious. Love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependable, but tiredcak87VIPDined on 3/7/2014You know what you get when you dine at Hohokus Inn: the food and service are consistent: consistently middle of the road. I often dine here with my family, we have held larger family celebrations here, and we have enjoyed the bars. This restaurant is very pretty, but could knock it up a notch by better training its wait-staff (team needs more professionalism) and amping up the meal preparation. Could easily be rated very good with some simple, but basic, tweeks. It reopened with a bang several years ago , but has become 'tired' again.Special Features:
- Historic inn continues to shineAliDDined on 3/4/2014My friend and I had a lovely dinner the other night. The setting is lovely (antique-y, but what do you expect in an historic 200-year-old building?), the service was attentive, and the food was delicious. The only thing keeping me from giving the Inn a higher rating: a heavy hand with the salt shaker. All night after dinner I was extremely thirsty. And because I took half my steak home for lunch the next day, I was thirsty all afternoon after lunch. So tone down the salt and the meal would be perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyable dinnernightoutDined on 3/1/2014we were seated promptly in a comfortable, cozy room. Our waiter was friendly, personable and attentive, and very knowledgeable about the menu - until the end of the meal when we had to ask for him to return with dessert/coffee offerings and our check. To his defense, tttttit was a Saturday night and by the time we had finished our main course, the restaurant was pretty much filled to capacity. Overall, the food was good, albeit a bit pricey, and the experience quite pleasant. Noise level was perfect for private conversation except for one young female waitress at nearby tables who was quite loud in her welcoming and explanation of menu offerings to her tables.!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 30th Anniversary DinnerPutteDined on 2/24/2014My husband and I enjoyed a wonderful dinner on this special day. Since we are early birds and had a 6:30 pm reservation, it was very quiet and we enjoyed it. Our dinner was great and the service perfect. Appetizers, soup for me and oysters for my husband, were delicious. For entrees, we chose venison, cooked to perfection, and a pasta dish. If you like venison, I can highly recommend it! The evening was wonderful and unhurried. The staff was attentive and we had a great eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazedTabbabygirlDined on 2/22/2014My husband and I enjoyed the food and ambiance. Warm and inviting. My husband had a steak meal in which the steak melted in your mouth. The fall soup was delish! Pricing is very reasonable for the value. We are already planning our return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family-like diningDollyDadDined on 2/22/2014Decor and atmosphere very much homelike outside the bar. We were conducted to an "intimate" and "quiet" upstairs room that nonetheless had four small tables in it. Most attentive service we've encountered in a long time, at an affordable price. Very inventive menu; unless you're one of those fortunates who like everything, the rather eclectic mix of ingredients can get ya. Bar strong in noble malts and craft beers. We dined; as a two-fer, my daughter, a far more accomplished gourmet than I, strongly recommends the Sunday brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, serviceNicoleDined on 2/15/2014Always a safe bet. We have been their multiple times and no complaints. However, as it was valentines day weekend, we were slightly surprised to have been sat in a room adjacent to wear a noisy party was being held. The noise was not too bothersome to my husband and i but the table next to us did comment on it. All in all a good experience- they sat us on time (maybe even a little early). They could have probably done a better job salting the parking lot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ALWAYS A DINING PLEASURE!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2014WE HAVE BEEN TO THIS RESTAURANT SEVERAL TIMES AND HAVE ALWAYS FOUND IT TO BE CONSISTENTLY GOOD ON ALL COUNTS - FOOD, AMBIENCE, SERVICE. ALL THESE THINGS MAKE FOR A MEMORABLE DINING EXPERIENCE. WOULD DEFINITELY COME AGAIN FOR A WONDERFUL DINING EXPERIENCE.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited menuDonaldDined on 2/12/2014Very few menu choices and pricey on steaks which were just ok, not great. Too few on wait staffSpecial Features:
- Overpriced and dissappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/25/2014The food was just fair. My $40 rib eye was overdone and tough. Wife's salmon as nothing special. Desserts were good however. Priced like a mid-high level Manhattan restaurant.
- Good, but with flawsFishPoppDined on 1/4/2014This was my fourth time dining here since the Spring. For some reason, each time I go, it's not as good as the last time. On this visit, they were out of a couple of nice menu items, the specials were non-existant, and they only had plain rolls to offer. However, my service was great, I liked the room we were sat in, and my steak was tasty although not mind blowing. The Ho-Ho-Kus Inn will stay on my radar, but I will be trying somewhere else next time. They just aren't consistent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfection at The Ho-Ho-Kus InnMisterDined on 12/13/2013As far as our group of four was concerned, this beautiful place is perfect! We have been here before, and it is always spot on. This time was even better, because it is decorated for Christmas! We were in a room with a beautiful chandelier and fireplace with candles. The lighting is just right, so the ambience is wonderful. Lucky for two of us, we get to go back this coming Saturday night for another special occasion...jackpot! As wonderful as the Inn is, the food is even better. There is no reason to go into detail about the dishes, just go and taste for yourself...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful restaurant and theOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/13/2013Beautiful restaurant and the atmosphere was festive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner eveningDave203Dined on 12/6/2013I would recommend the Ho Ho Kus Inn for entertaining special guests or just a night out with good friends. The food is great and the good service makes it a very enjoyable experience. We have been there about 5 times, takibng special guests to dinner each time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding in every wayhudsonvalleygirlDined on 11/25/2013This historic building shines in every corner, thanks to the careful stewardship of the HoHoKus Inn's owners. The dining rooms are resplendant in deep red tones with black crown moldings and many other wonderful details; the tavern is inviting with plaids and wood tones. The food is equally noteworthy, as is the wine selection. The wait staff are deferential and yet prompt. The entire experience is one for the books, and you would be quite lucky to spend some time here and enjoy this special place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ho Ho Kus Innalwaysthere1VIPDined on 10/26/2013still a lovely place to go, even after all these years. Waiters knew there would be a problem with service, and tried best to accommodate us, but service fell short!
- Weekend GemPutteDined on 10/12/2013My husband and I decided at the last moment to go out for dinner and chose the Inn. Upon arrival, we saw that several guests had chosen to sit outside since the weather was just great. We had a table for two inside and it was perfect. The oysters were fresh and delicious, my venison with the vegetables was excellent and I cleaned my plate!!! My husband, a picky eater, had the red snapper and loved it. For dessert, our server suggested the cannoli creation, served in a martini glass. It was wonderful; the creme was served with four cannolis; a really large portion. Serves was outstanding, attentive but not rushed. We had a great time and can highly recommend it for a night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding dining experiencearschDined on 10/9/2013First time we've been here in years and were greatly surprised at the quality of the food and the friendliness of the wait staff. We ate in the dining room and did not go to the bar but did notice there was quite a bar crowd.Special Features:
- Great Brunch!alisaannDined on 9/22/2013Best brunch I've had in a really long time - food was amazing and the place is adorable! Hope to back again soon :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place, overpricedHappyDinerDined on 9/5/2013Overall a nice experience but not one I would again pay $55 pp for lunch for.Special Features: