HK Hell's Kitchen
523 9th Avenue
New York, NY 10018Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
HK Hell's Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hkhellskitchen.com/
- Phone: 2129474208
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 9:00am - 11:30am; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 1:00am; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Dancing, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: From finger food to full course meals, HK has catering options to fit every need.
- Private Party Facilities: This venue can be booked to be semi-private or private to accommodate parties ranging from bridal/baby showers, holiday get-togethers, corporate events, bachelor parties, etc. Full multimedia capabilities, menu options, and entertainment selections are at your disposal. Please contact the restaurant for more information.
- Entertainment: Music, dancing and performances are featured 7 nights a week in the HK Lounge.
A word from HK Hell's Kitchen
HK is the ultimate experience. Located at the corner of 39th Street and 9th Avenue, it has transformed the local area of Hell's Kitchen from a place of culinary oblivion to a hot spot demanding everyone's attention. The ultra modern minimalist restaurant boasts French Asian cuisine with a unique Mediterranean flair that appeals to anyone's palate. An elegant streamlined decor of brilliant silver mirrors and glass partitions serves merely as the white plate on which the opulent cuisine is laid before you with colors and flavors that will paint your dining experience in hues you will not find elsewhere in Manhattan.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
HK Hell's Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
2 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance1.5Noise LevelEnergetic
- Unpleasantly SurprisedDisappointedDined on 6/13/2014Decor was horrible, ripped seats, plastic chairs and not very clean. Wait staff was not pleasant and did not even come to refill water or ask if anything is needed. The bus boy did more for us than anyone in the whole restaurant, so he got a tip. Food was very good and was actually brought to table by the chef, since the waiters and waitresses were too busy talking at the bar with each other. By the way there was only 3 tables that had people there, not exactly too busy to take care of the customer's. However, the burgers were good. If this is associated with Gordon Ramsey, he would have shut it down completely!
- Wretched ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/30/2014Went for lunch with two friends and waited 15 minutes to get our drinks and went downhill from there. All 3 of us ordered from the lunch menu and 2 meals came while the 3rd took 30 minutes longer with one vague update from our waiter about a computer error. There are more examples but you get the picture. Too bad since there are only a few places near the Javits Center
- They had no idea about open tableNYCvisitorDined on 3/31/2014I made brunch reservations through open table for two and received a confirmation, etc. When we arrived, the hostesses were pleasant but informed us they not only didn't have our reservation but they had never heard of open table and don't take reservations for less than 12. We were fortunate they had an empty table and were seated promptly but it left me wondering if the problem was the restaurant, or open table. I had the eggs Benedict and it was good but not great. My husband had steak and eggs and had the same opinion. Service was good and wait staff was pleasant.Special Features:
- No Lunch ServicedisappointedDined on 3/11/2014Opentable took a 12:15pm reservation for HK, however neglected the fact that they are not open for lunch! So of course it was an awful experience with my client to find a suitable place around 9th that we could have our meeting.
- SubparDrippsDined on 3/4/2014Waiters were nice but we were the only ones in there and I felt like they left out the usual basic service. Our water was never refilled, we weren't asked if we wanted refills on our other drinks. The hearts of palms in the salad was hard and indelible. The waiter did go back in the kitchen and bring out a better few but we shouldn't have had to mention this. Soups were good. Out main meals were both just ok. The chicken in both was over cooked and dried out,
- Good food, great drinksAnniversarycoupleDined on 9/25/2013Had dinner here with a friend before attending a show. Although they were out of an appetizer as soon as the place opened for dinner, overall the food was good. Salad was bland, but we really enjoyed the tuna appetizer and I thought the gnocchi were perfect!
- Very disappointingAllyDined on 9/24/2013I booked this believing it was Gordon's restaurant. I still don't know if he owns it but I do know the Chef would have been sacked by Gordon the night we dined! Food had no flavour at all and I had great expectations. WARNING to anyone else making a booking here!!!
- Food was amazing - we splitComfortfoodplusDined on 8/24/2012Food was amazing - we split the salmon (they were out of lemongrass, but the chef made do) and the risotto. Wonderful - everything cooked and presented beautifully. The bread was out of this world (apparently a substitute honey/whole grain baguette that they picked up at a local bakery when they ran out of the usual) - totally addictive! Service was great - very nice young lady. Seemed inexperienced (had to go back to check on our questions), but so pleasant it didn't matter (and in restaurants, it's better to have the right attitude - you can train the skills). Only quibble was that they would charge for refills of the iced tea - already not inexpensive, so to each pay $5.90 for that is ridiculous. Overall - very nice little place.Special Features:
- Nothing remarkable. Go ifsdkphdVIPDined on 8/22/2012Nothing remarkable. Go if it's convenient but don't make a special trip.
- WE DINED EARLY WHICH MAY AFFECTOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/20/2012WE DINED EARLY WHICH MAY AFFECT A REVUE FOR SOME. THE MENU WAS AVERAGE IN SIZE BUT OUR CHOICES WERE VERY GOOD. WE WERE SEATED IMMEDIATELY BUT WERE NOT PAID ATTENTION TO OFTEN DESPITE VERY FEW PATRONS AT THE EARLY HOUR. WE HAD SALADS AND FISH ITEMS WHICH WE ENJOYED.Special Features:
- So, so during the dayMsLadyBDined on 8/10/2012Not an exciting place for lunch. My companion enjoyed her meal. I did not. When we passed by the place at night, it was jumping.Special Features:
- We were visiting from TorontoOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/6/2012We were visiting from Toronto Canada, and found the Restaurant on Open Table. The food was very good, our server was attentive and accomadating. When one of our party did not care for her Martini, he changed it for another. The Restaurant itself was more like a cafeteria style, we came when in when it was still light out. Once it was dark, the candles were all lit and it looked nice. Thanks again for a Great Evening.Special Features:
- The rest. was not at all busyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/31/2012The rest. was not at all busy when we arrived. It took us 50 minutes to get our appetizer of calamari and french onion soup! When the soup arrived the cheese was burned! And the calamari was average at best. The vegatable lasagna lacked flavor and again the cheese topping was burned! Very much a disappointment! Would not recommend to anyone for dining. Maybe cocktails but that would be the only reason I would ever return to that establishment!
- Looks good but go elsewhere...TiffanyStarDined on 7/12/2012I loved the overall feel of this place-bright, open, and airy-great for a warm summer day. Went there with co-workers for a quick lunch and we were all very unhappy with our meal. The flank/skirt steak sandwich sounded great on paper, but the cut of meat was very fatty and sliced very, very thin. My co-worker and I both had to deconstruct our sandwiches to cut the fat off. The salmon burger was dry and lack luster. When we notified the server of how unhappy we were all she said was sorry... She didn't even try to make it up to us by offering dessert or remove something from the bill. We will NOT be going back there again.
- Very reasonable prices forOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/29/2012Very reasonable prices for tasty imaginative food.Special Features:
- Food and service were bothGoodDined on 6/27/2012Food and service were both great. Loved the garage door walls that opened up so you could dine al fresco. Our server was attentive (and very handsome I might add!) Went for lunch on a beautiful day and could not have picked a better spot!Special Features:
- the banquets are in need ofOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/8/2012the banquets are in need of new foam padding - they sit very low!Special Features:
- food was excellent; too noisyReishaVIPDined on 5/18/2012food was excellent; too noisy with opening to streetSpecial Features:
- they cant remember my lunch orderJoeCVIPDined on 4/24/2012went at 1245pm prime time for lunch - seemed dead. lunch order side dish was forgotten. so by the time it came out i ate the main lunch already....also used a livingsocial coupon and they pre added a 20% tip which i thought should not have been done seeing that the food delivery was forgotten...would not go there again and only went because of a coupon.
- Hits The SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/6/2012We went for breakfast. Reasonable prices and the choices for breakfast were just fine. A great place if you want to go the flea market on the street next to it. The atmostphere is good and there is outdoor seating. I'd go again.Special Features:
- We entered the door and stoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/24/2012We entered the door and stood there for almost 7 mins before being greeted and seated. The appitizera were delicious and do were the specialty drinks , but the entrees were dry, burnt and scarse.Special Features:
- The service was weird. Didn'tOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/14/2012The service was weird. Didn't even know our server left...the.steak was supposed to be medium and found its way well done onto the plate....the penne pasta was good though!
- Wonderful pick!RobinDined on 3/10/2012Found through Livingsocial Would recommend. Great Martini selection. Nice walk from theater district and then to the train station to return home. The watermelon & feta together was a very nice combination. Loved snails. Would definitely return with warmer weather when the doors could be open.Special Features:
- Overpriced DisappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/6/2012They attempted to sit 3 men at a tiny table for 2 and when I pulled a second table over to give us more space they made a comment as if they were going to need that table for other customers (we were one of 5 parties in the restaurant the whole time, clearly they think they are a better restaurant than they are). They were out of Blue Moon and then served me a skunked Stella before I finally got their "seasonal beer of the month" which was just a normal Sam Adams. _ We ordered the escargot but they were out of that too. Overall the food was nothing special, the Burger tasted like ground beef that was charred on a grill but there was no real flavor. The whole meal was a pretty big disappointment.
- The food was excellent andOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/3/2012The food was excellent and very fairly priced. Highly recommend the mushroom ravioliSpecial Features:
- I had a certificate and whendinerxDined on 3/3/2012I had a certificate and when I presented it the waiter said "I wish you had given me this before I gave you the bill." I responded that he had not given me a chance (as he rarely stopped by the table during our mediocre meal). He then brought the certificate to the manager and added a 20% tip (we were a party of two), which I thought was unnecessary given the service. I would not return.
- Remember me?RSMMathewsVIPDined on 2/22/2012Since my Open Table reservation was apparently lost and I was questioned about whether I had kept it, my feelings about this place took a turn for the worse. Having to answer a questionnaire doubting my abilities to cancel a reservation I couldn't keep, I then had to waste my time filling out paperwork for the obvious error made by the restaurant. Did not make me feel all that warm a fuzzy about food that was fairly mediocre to begin with.
- Good for groupsSheilaDined on 2/15/2012The Ambiance was great. The food was good. The service was excellent. My only criticism would be that the environment was very loud and it was difficult to have a conversation. I would not recommend the environment for getting to know someone.
- AWFUL!!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2012I feel bad dumping on this place because the wait staff was really sweet to us but the food was just awful. A bad home cook can do better. I eat out a lot in NYC from hole in the wall sandwich places to cool new places in the East Village to basement level places in Chinatown to diners to old standbys like Oceana. I don't expect 100% perfection but I do expect a basic level of competence from the kitchen. We both got the steak special which we ordered medium rare--what we got were 2 charcoal briquettes. It wasn’t our servers fault either another table had the same issue. I think the kitchen may have done this because the meet wasn’t that good. Another table had pasta that when picked up with a fork hung like a clump. This used to be a fun &Special Features:
- Food was very good. WaiterOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/12/2012Food was very good. Waiter was very attentive and pleasant. Very, very dark and we got there when it was still light out. You have to use the candles to read the menu.Special Features:
- A "Funky" restaurant thatOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 2/4/2012A "Funky" restaurant that looks like a revival of an old Diner. A lot of Television and a long Bar. The food we had was quite good, but we were at an early quiet time so the kitchen was not stressed.Special Features:
- GReat food space. The waitOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/2/2012GReat food space. The wait was about an hour after reservation.Special Features:
- Fun place! Food is pretty good too.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/30/2012I ordered the beet & goat cheese salad here for appetizer, it was amazing! Got the hanger steak, it was a little over cooked ( i asked it to be medium) and was a little tough, but overall, good experience. Had a chocolate martini, it was awesome. The wait staff is easy on the eyes here too, very nice, young, good-looking men are quick to serve! Very good experience and loved the music! Will definitely go back next time i'm in the city.Special Features:
- Fell a bit short....OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/29/2012The service was quick and accurate but not anything to brag about. It was an emotionless rehearsed service. The calamari appetizer was definitely a good starter choice.Special Features:
- The food just wasn't veryOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/28/2012The food just wasn't very good. The Shrimp "Tempura" was way over-fried. Luckily, the shrimp were quite large, which meant that I could still taste them through the burnt batter. The Lobster Risotto tasted like straight butter. Doesn't sound bad at first, until you have a full bowl of it. The truffle gnocchi had a nice truffle flavor, but the gnocchi were just not prepared very well.
- Extremely disappointed withfoodpinionDined on 1/28/2012Extremely disappointed with the seating. They sat our party of 3 at a small table for 2! And would not accomodate any request to change tables. Don't go here if you are a party of 3. The food was inconsistent - two orders of steak frite medium came out with one medium and one rare/tough. The one positive was our waiter-in-training who provided great service.
- It was hard to spot the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/27/2012It was hard to spot the restaurant since the sign was small and the restaurant didnt quite look like a restaurant. The food was moderate at taste and small size but the service was good.
- Gret -- let us sit and vhatparttimecoasterVIPDined on 1/20/2012Gret -- let us sit and vhat for 2 hours-- no one hustled us along-- we liked that!Special Features:
- The waiter was a very niceManhattanVIPDined on 1/11/2012The waiter was a very nice as a person, but the food took very long and we had to ask to check on our food. I clearly announced I had Open Table reservation but it was not registered so we got "no show" notification from Open Table (which was then rectified.) Even after we told the waiter that we had a bus to catch (this is near the Megabus station), he didn't come back to pick up our tab for a long time.Special Features:
- Nice place, service was verykathVIPDined on 1/10/2012Nice place, service was very good. Salmon burger was good - very fresh. Bacon on the Chicken Club was not really cooked but other than that sandwich was good. Will return when I'm in the area.Special Features: