Hiro's - Petaluma
107 Petaluma Boulevard North
Petaluma, CA 94952Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Hiro's - Petaluma
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hirosrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (707) 763-2300
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:00/9:30 Dinner: Friday - Saturday 5:00/10:00 Lunch: Monday - Saturday 11:30/2:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: Gen Mizoguchi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
A word from Hiro's - Petaluma
Located at the center of Historic Downtown Petaluma. Hiro's Japanese Restaurant offers high quality sushi, Japanese cuisine and a wide selection of Premium Sake in a comfortable and unique setting masterfully designed by acclaimed Japanese artist Naoki Tekenouchi. Awarded Five Stars by the Press Democrat.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Hiro's - Petaluma reviews from OpenTable diners
12 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (5)fit for foodies (3)special occasion (3)romantic (2)scenic view (1)great for lunch (1)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Needs To UpdateOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/21/2014Hiro not long ago was a busy restaurant with excellent service and food. The service, while well intentioned, isn't acceptable and impacts the food and overall experience. Two efficient servers would transform the venue.
- My 5th or 6th visit...this was the worst of themhowdyDined on 11/15/2014This was my 5th or 6th visit to Hiro's but my first visit through OpenTable. My previous visits have been enjoyable, with the food being Good and the service being Fair. This visit overall was Poor but I've rated it Good to properly weight my visits in total... Upon seating we soon realized the neighboring tables were upset with the long wait for food. Our food didn't arrive until 45 minutes in, the miso soup was lukewarm, the sashimi had too much wasabi, the sushi was good. We learned one of the waiters no showed their shift that evening, the remaining servers were inexperienced. All that being said, I will return in hopes that this was an off night.
- Great place for a before movie dinner.winecountrydinerDined on 11/15/2014We had a wonderful dinner. The tempura was not greasy and very light. Waitress was very busy but kept her sense of humor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sake that tasted like waterOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/8/2014It was one of the strangest experiences I ever had in a restaurant. The staff appeared to be hired yesterday without the slightest inkling of serving food or relating to the customer. We ordered appetizers to start and then some sake of which they had a long list of hot and cold. With the first round there were explanations of not having what we ordered available and gave us a reasonable facsimile of the sake we ordered. I then ordered a second cold sake. When I tasted it I thought I was in the twilight zone. It tasted exactly like cold water...because it was. The waiter's explanation was that there were many bottles that looked the same and he poured from one of them! Faith in whatever was brought to our table became severely limited!
- SLOW SERVICEGaslampDined on 11/1/2014The food was great, but they were understaffed for the evening and it took over an hour from the time that we sat down to get our food. Once the food arrived it was outstanding though.Special Features:
- sadly disappointingSymphxVIPDined on 11/1/2014fish, didn't seem fresh. rolls were tasteless. appetizers non inventive and amazingly one app. came with "tomato based sauce" which was literally KETCHUP; went years ago was better then went down hill, decided to try again, it will be last time; sad, owner seems a good guy, quality is just not there.
- ellenDined on 10/27/2014good foods, but the portion is too small. was a quiet evening, but I have to wait a long time for the food.Special Features:
- Adventurous menuNativegalVIPDined on 10/26/2014My brother who lives in Petaluma suggested this Japanese place. I was glad to see poke on the menu, a lot of unusual rolls and great combos. My tempura was attractively presented, generous with Tiger shrimp and delish. A tasty bargain!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014We like Japanese food so we looked online for a Japanese restaurant. We did not realize that there would be no parking, so we had to walk quite a distance. We definitely did not feel welcomed, as we entered the front door. In fact, we got the feeling like we were intruding. Finally someone told us to follow him to a table, and we sat for a good 5 minutes before being waited on. HOWEVER, the food was very good, once we were served.
- UnhappyOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 9/12/2014Due to horrible Friday night traffic, we got there with less than an hour before closing. Although the restaurant was quite empty, the food arrived at a snails pace. In addition, they made mistakes to both our entrees. Despite all this, the food was quite tasty.
- The following 137 reviews are from the Hiro's - Petaluma reviews archive.
- SushidotdotdotVIPDined on 7/16/2014Good selections of Japanese sushi/sashimi items. Very accommodating of gluten free patrons. Fresh seafood... will return.Special Features:
- Took too long to serve ordersJawellsDined on 6/25/2014Unfortunately, it took them one (1) hour to serve our orders (sushi and sashim). Too bad. I like this place the first time I was here; I was really disappointed for the length of time it took them to serve our orders.
- Needs a makeoverNomnomnomDined on 6/18/2014Went during the week, early evening. With a few people at the sushi bar and one table with a couple, we had no problem getting seated and our order taken. Food came out quick, miso soup and drinks within a couple minutes, followed by our main order... Then our appetizer about 5 minutes later. All in all, the service was good & the food was good. Not great, just good, has been better in the past. Lots of fuzzy gunk on the wall art that needs to be addressed. Seating and tables need help, but with better food and service low quality seating won't stand out as much. Defiantly has potential. Would go again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service? What service?BirthdayDinnerVIPDined on 6/13/2014This is definitely the last time I am ever going to Hiro's. The service is so bad/slow it was laughable. My boyfriend asked how a drink was (called it by name), and the waiter responded with "Um, I have no idea what you're talking about". Are they trained on the menu at all? It took over half an hour to get our drinks, appetizers came out before! Took another half hour for the food to come out. My boyfriend's steak dinner came out before my avocado roll order (?). The restaurant was not busy, by the way. No apologies, no comps, nothing. Don't go unless you have hours to spare and want a laugh!
- Fresh and affordableBarbaraDined on 5/31/2014Hiro's has an extensive menu, but the fresh sushi and sashimi are among the best in the area. Wonderful choices and good value. The sake cocktails are fun to try also. On this visit, we were seated by a young man who took our drink orders and then disappeared. This was odd since there were only a few other people in the restaurant. We waited and waited and finally another server stepped in and promptly took care of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceValerieDined on 4/25/2014The service was terrible if we hadn't sat at the sushi bar we probably would have gotten any food. The hostess walked past us numerous times never once asked how our dining experience was. Our waiter was unfortunately very new and hadn't had enough training. We ordered a bottle of wine but they didn't have any cold white wine as the refrigerator was broken? If I was to eat here again I would order food to go.Special Features:
- Great, but slow sushi!JaneDined on 4/10/2014We very much enjoyed our food at Hiro, but we're very disappointed by the slow service. The kitchen (cooked items) was quick. The tempura was hot and delicious. Three sushi rolls, however, took two sushi chefs 40 min! By then, we had almost lost our appetite. The waiter was inattentive, and the owner, while wandering around, never stopped by to check on customers. Odd. We would try it once more to see if it was just a bad night, but only because the food was good and pretty reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hiro'scwh1Dined on 3/1/2014Wonderful upscale Japanese restaurant in downtown Petaluma. Owner Hiro is a very gracious, congenial host and both he and his head sushi chef, Yo, pride themselves on the fresh fish and presentation of the wide variety of dishes. Caring service and nice selection of sakes. This restaurant would compare well to any in SF but stands out in the bounty of Sonoma county too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect eveningtunaDined on 2/14/2014My husband and I had tickets to a concert at the Mystic Theater so I searched for a restaurant in walking distance. Hiro's turned out to be the perfect place for us. The service was friendly and prompt. We asked for suggestions and the waitress told us about a roll that wasn't on the menu. We loved the sushi and the ambience. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall good food. The sushiKRoBDined on 2/7/2014Overall good food. The sushi rolls were good and service was excellent. The things I would change: Tempura appetizer; it seems they should have let it sit for a minute on something to absorb the oil because it was way too greasy. Other than that, great place. Bar; was looking forward to having a nice cocktail as advertised in their online menu, but the blender was broken.Special Features:
- The food is very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/28/2014I've been here several times and never been disappointed. And the staff is friendly. But we were there early on an off-night and had an overly long wait for our meal. While we weren't in a hurry, it seemed strange, with only two other tables seated and three people at the sushi counter. The decor is serene, spare and peaceful (let me know if you puzzle out those odd, sideways birdcage art "things" on the wall) and the temperature comfortable. However, the oldies rock was loud and matched neither food nor space. (The back corner booth is under the bass speaker.) The music, my friend noted, was on a short loop, so we heard the same Freddie Mercury song twice.) Oddly, we had to send the water back -- it tasted off. Still, I'd go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stunning Food but Stumbling ServiceAlfaBMWGuyVIPDined on 1/8/2014We had an excellent special-occasion dinner at Hiro's but have to report that the service staff stumbled badly several times and the food was very slow to come out. Our waiter did comp the mixed up appetizer order and did correct the wrong bento box successfully. Overall and consistently, the fresh fish and the creative and tasty sushi recipes always satisfy so we will give them more chances to tighten up what appeared to be a whole new wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi and SakeRojoDined on 1/6/2014The sushi and sashimi was fresh and tasty. Nice that they have a brown rice option for the sushi. The server was very knowledgeable about both the food and sake(a first for us we). I would recommend drinking sake as it was very delicious and went very well with the food. Much better than wine on their list. This is definitely a place we will return to visit hopefully when the owner is there as the server says he is very knows a lot more about sake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hiro's is fine. The sushiCleanyourplateVIPDined on 12/15/2013Hiro's is fine. The sushi is good but not outstanding, the service is the same. Interestingly, in a room made of only hard surfaces, a large group (16+ people) right down the middle of the room did not make the place terribly loud (they were restrained, which was nice). Hana in Rohnert Park is far better for sushi, but Hiro's is a prettier room.Special Features:
- Wow that was badCanuckStigVIPDined on 11/3/2013Had an opentable reservation for 5pm on Sunday - we were the first ones in. Service was terrible. I mean really terrible. We managed to place an order for appetizers while we indicated we needed time to figure out the rest of the order. 30 minutes later our server was nowhere to be found, and three other tables of people had left because no one had come to take their orders. Our appetizer sat on the sushi bar for another ten minutes before arriving. We didn't try it, but from what we saw of it on the way or the door the portions were small and presentation was uninspiring.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/2/2013We drove in from Marin to try Hiros and it was well worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always exceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 11/1/2013The food and service are always fantastic. The best sushi in town by far. Simple, beautiful and comfortable atmosphere.Special Features:
- best sushi in bay areaSuranjanVIPDined on 10/29/2013excellent sushi; great variety; fantastic service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food good, service BADsuperduperVIPDined on 10/26/2013as always, the food here is really good, but, unfortunately, after going here for many years, the service is consistently bad nowadays... they leave food waiting on the counter for far too long before bringing to the table, they dont come by to check on whether you need water or drinks or just to check that everything is ok... it used to be that hiro roamed the restaurant checking on things, but now he just sits up front at the sushi bar and the result is that it just isnt as sharp an operation as it used to be... really disappointing... taking a break for awhile
- Not what I was expectingCORNVIPDined on 10/22/2013Prior reviews of this place seemed to compliment food not service. Although it took a little but for our food to come out, the wait was not too terribly long. The only complaint is my husbands beef teriyaki was WAY over cooked. Still good but not really acceptable. I'm a vegetarian and even I knew it looked pretty "well done." If, and when, we return we will definitely send it back or emphasize "medium rare" prior to ordering. Other than that we have no complaints it was nice comfortable for the two of us and not too loud. Glad we didn't let negative reviews sway our decision to try it :) we are definitely looking forward to going again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerDavidRL61Dined on 10/12/2013This was my second time here. I really enjoyed the food. I'm starting to become more familiar with sushi and this was not an intimidating place at all. The one negative was that the server did not remember that our meals came with Miso soup and/or rice, so I had to remind her. This was minor though. I look forward to many more visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- as always food is great, service...superduperVIPDined on 9/27/2013quality of food, preparation and presentation is good but service is usually pretty spotty. combo of perhaps not enough wait staff when it's busy or just not polished enough... example is how you can wait for a long time to have drinks resupplied. this is tied to the infrequency of check-ins on their part during the meal. they get the order taken, deliver it, and then often dont returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the NormOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/6/2013Hiro's is a favorite hangout and we've been going there for years but this visit was a big disappointment. Our server was disinterested and inattentive (we were at the bar) and the chefs were just the same. I don't think we were the only one's unhappy that night as we saw a number of people complaining to Hiro. Hiro's normally has a great crew and it's lots of fun, but this was not the same Hiro's. Hopefully this was just one of those nights..I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, lackluster serviceDaydreamerVIPDined on 9/6/2013My favorite food here: Appetizer - Agedashi Tofu (the best I've tried) and their calamari tempura. Sushi rolls - The Dynamite roll is a California roll topped with crab and baked to tasty perfection...delish! The Rainbow and Caterpillar rolls are also excellent. Entrees - Love their chicken and salmon teriyaki because the sauce is neither sticky nor syrupy as it's often the case in other places; instead, it's very light, balanced between sweet and savory, and flavorful. I particularly enjoy getting the bento box ($19.99 - $24) with either of these items as it comes with soup, rice, salad, gyosas, and the meat of your choice. They also make an excellent tempura. The only downfall with this place is the service: slow and spacey...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but service lackedTurboTDined on 8/31/2013I went here and the food was awesome. The only problem was our waitress seemed like she was really new and forgot our waters, almost didn't bring our miso soup, didn't have spoons when she did end up bringing it. We also ordered the calamari appetizer which came at the end instead of te beginningSpecial Features:
- Priceyt6362bVIPDined on 8/25/2013Food was excellent but pricey. Our order took way longer than it should. Our server was great .Special Features:
- Great Japanese fooddolphanbobVIPDined on 8/16/2013I love the menu and food at Hiro's. It seems that the owners are there making sure the dining experience is good. Our server was a bit inexperienced and so service was a little choppy. We were happy with our meals.I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2013You can tell how fresh the food is before the chop-sticks even touch it! Love this place - wish I could come more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent meal in an excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/7/2013Excellent meal in an excellent restaurant. Superb and interesting sushi.Special Features:
- Just okay....OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 6/21/2013We liked the place - clean and I believe the owners were there to help seat guests - so there's some personal attention. The food is okay - not super exceptional, and no negative issues either. My husband likes sukiyaki which he ordered and we shared, but we think the server didn't really know how to serve it, we had to ask for the bowl of rice and the soup spoon. Without having anything "spectacular", we also find it a bit pricey .... for being in Petaluma.