12 N Eutaw Street
Baltimore, MD 21201Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thehippcafe.com/
- Phone: 4106251401x205
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm, Saturday & Sunday: 2 hours prior to showtime;
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 2 hours prior to showtime
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Burgers, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Paul Lever
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wine
- Catering: Spectrum is a full service caterer. Our Executive Chef & Professional Events team can customize a menu for your next event ranging from breakfast meetings & corporate dinners to barmitzvahs or weddings.
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact Spectrum's Event Coordinator Kimberly Dorgan for our private Dining and event options
- Private Party Contact: Kimberly Dorgan 4437032430x
- Cross Street: W Baltimore Street
- Parking: No
- Parking Details: There is parking attached to the Hippodrome Theatre in the Grand Garage. When exiting the garage please use the Paca street exit and turn left onto W Baltimore Street. The Hipp Cafe is located between Paca Street and N Eutaw Street
A word from Hipp Cafe
The Hipp Cafe is the exception! We have great food, great ingredients at a great value. Everything we offer at the Hipp Cafe is prepared in house from the best seasonal ingredients available. We have a great selection of fresh baked breads, homemade soups & fresh cut salads and artisan paninis. Our menu is designed for fast service but is not fast food. The Hipp Cafe has a casual dinning atmosphere where you can enjoy a a glass of wine and a bite to eat before your theatre performance.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Hipp Cafe - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Hipp Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (15)special occasion (11)neighborhood gem (10)great for brunch (6)fit for foodies (4)kid-friendly (4)good for groups (3)late-night find (3)scenic view (1)hot spot (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014So convenient for theater dates...will definitely use again! Great experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hipp CafeJll0906Dined on 6/15/2014We've eaten at Hipp Cafe many times before seeing a show at the Hippodrome. We always make our reservation using this OpenTable site. However, the past two times that we did this the Hipp Cafe did not have our reservation. I made the 5:45 pm reservation around 3 pm. I received an email confirmation of the reservation. So why didn't Hipp Cafe receive any information about my reservation? In the future I will call up to make the reservation. Fortunately, there was plenty of seating at the Cafe and the staff was very accommodating.
- Sharon RiderlovetheatersDined on 6/15/2014We were a group of three. Each of us ordered something different and all of us were pleasantly pleased. We will come again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/8/2014Great for pre-theatre. You can get there 45 minutes before curtain, get a very nice meal and still have plenty of time to get to your seats. Prices are very reasonable also.Special Features:
- Excellent food. Service wonderful.2HippDined on 6/8/2014A must before every show. Reservations always ready. Run into a little traffic, the table's waiting. Wait staff is friendly and unbelievably efficient. You know the care. Hustle and bustle creates and almost carnival-like atmosphere. Leave the worries behind. It's almost show time when you sit down at the Hipp. Each dish had its own unique little twist that constantly arouse your taste buds. Bread pudding is the best around. Nothing like one slice a couple of forks to bring folks together. Speaking of folks, if you're a people watcher, that's fun, too. With the kind of service offered at the Hipp, the crowd seems to turn over every few minutes...something that doesn't have to happen, though. You can eat quickly or relax and enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient!TheaterDined on 6/8/2014The Hipp Cafe serves very good food and is the most convenient place to get a good sandwich or salad before attending a show at the Hippodrome.Special Features:
- Hipp cafesuz25Dined on 6/8/2014Went before theater. It was very convenient. Getting your food is also very convenient. Will go there the next time I go to the theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/8/2014we were very happy with the food and service . it was extremely convenient for us , as a before the show lunch. the staff were very friendly and accommodating.Special Features:
- Tasty Pre Show Menu!NavySinger517Dined on 6/5/2014We have enjoyed everything we've tried! Not a bad thing on the menu!Special Features:
- Before the Showsuz830Dined on 5/27/2014We often eat at the Hipp Café before shows at the Hippodrome Theater. Even though the cafe is crowded before a performance, if we make a reservation through Open Table, there is always a table ready for us. The food is casual --we almost always order either a very good salad or their terrific hamburger with homemade chips. The service is fast. efficient and very friendly. Beginning with a meal at the Hipp Café always makes the theater experience more fun.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Theater DiningRetiredDined on 5/27/2014Great place to eat before the show..good food, quick service, and easy to get to show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient for theatertheArboristDined on 5/27/2014A convenient location when attending events at the Hippodrome theater. Food was good, crab cakes a bit too spicy (overwhelmed the crab). As a cafe, the setting was Spartan, but nice, clean, spacious, and quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food & ConveniencejhayDined on 5/17/2014We had lunch at the Hipp Café before the show. I would highly recommend this. The food was delicious and it was very convenient. We enjoyed our lunch and then walked into the theater to our seats once the doors opened.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/16/2014The Hipp Cafe was a very enjoyable place to get a tasty dinner before a show. It was convenient, comfortable and a lot of fun. The price of the food was moderate, very comparable to other places to eat. The service was very cheerful, helpful and courteous. All in all, it was a very enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Before TheaterMarciaDined on 5/15/2014If you're going to a performance at the Hippodrome, this little cafe is the place to go. The food is simple....sandwiches and salads, but the service is very friendly and prompt. Compared to Alewife, across the street, the food is better and you don't have to suffer through the loud noise; and compared to the newer Forno, if you prefer simple straightforward, very reasonably priced food, go to Hipp Cafe.Special Features:
- showtimespriteDined on 5/13/2014It's a great place to have dinner before a show and it is generally a good idea to make a reservation, just in case.Special Features:
- Before Theater MealTheaterDined on 5/11/2014It was very convenient, service was wonderful and the food was good. We would definitely use the Hipp Cafe again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hipp Cafe convenientLin8307Dined on 5/10/2014It is a pleasure to come early for a hippodrome show and have dinner in the cafe. It has easy ordering. The servers are volunteers as they are involved in the workings of the show. They are very frienldly and helpful. The menu is very limited and never changes. That is the only downside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient4UsWay2GoDined on 5/10/2014When seeing a show this place is very convenient and affordable. The food is good and the staff very friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was not as advertisedajtapsDined on 5/10/2014The reason I reserved here with my granddaughter was because their menu said they had small individual pizzas. When we arrived, there was no one to check in with and no waiter. There was only a counter to order at and no pizzas at all on their menu. I told them on the Open Table link to Hipp there were pizzas and they were misleading people by leaving them on there. I asked if there was anyone who would check us in and they said no. We left and went across the street to a lovely Italian restaurant. TAKE THESE GUYS OFF YOUR LIST. Zero rating all around
- Hipp No GoFemiDined on 5/10/2014I have had lunch there twice. The first time they gave me a table under the staircase. This last time they let someone else take my original assigned table and the waitress did not tell us that we had to go to the bar and order our food. I do not plan to go there again unless it is absolutely necessary.
- Hipp fast foodBobreviewDined on 5/7/2014Good food and very timely - great service. Works really well for a night at the Hippadrome. Not a great dining experience but I have been multiple times and pleased with each experience.
- convenient but not tastyFLLgirlDined on 5/6/2014We had a reservation at the Hipp Café at 6:45 before the show. Had no problem getting there from the attached garage even though the theater was not open until 7:00. Service was friendly and fast, but the crabcake I had was tiny and burned on the bottom and really not good even though it was pretty pricey. I would go again just for convenience, but I wouldn't get crabcakes.
- Menu revisionsConvenientdiningDined on 5/6/2014We dine here for all theatre events because of the convenience and some handicapped in the group. Your menu gets very boring over time. Would be nice if there were specials or changes to the menu periodically. Cannot beat the convenience.
- ConvienentJeff26ttDined on 5/6/2014A great place to get a little something to eat before the theatre. Taco salad was great. Hamburgers needed a little help. No French fries was a negative.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 377 reviews are from the Hipp Cafe reviews archive.
- AwfulOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/3/2014Was not open and receiving guests until 10 minutes after opening time and reservation tiem, not clean, bad smell - smelled like old grease. Food was awful, dry, appeared to be heated in the microwave.
- We'll never go there againBigRubeVIPDined on 4/13/2014Since we live in the DC Metro area, we don't generally go to the Hippodrome, so we don't know where to eat in the area. The Hipp Cafe seemed an obvious choice since it was right next to the theatre. We'll not make that mistake again. My bar-b-q chicken sandwich had a sauce much too liquid to eat as a sandwich, plus the meat was dry, making it inedible to me. My husband's burger was also dry. And the home-made chips were doused in Bay seasoning, which we also couldn't eat. We might have tried the desserts, but by that time the sole line to order food was backed up, and we didn't want to be late for the show.
- Great pre-show spotHippHippHoorayDined on 4/12/2014The Hipp Café is a great place for a lunch or a snack before a show at the Hippodrome Theatre. The food is fresh and delicious, and the portions are large. Reservations are recommended.Special Features:
- More like a snack barOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/10/2014Very expensive and food was just so so. You sit in the lobby of the Hippodrome
- Great spot to eat before the showOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/8/2014The Hipp Café is a great place to eat before a show at the Hippodrome. Tasty meals are served quickly to accommodate the pretheater crowd at the Hippodrome Theatre. The limited menu and semi self-service arrangement help the Hipp Café service many patrons well. If I wanted better atmosphere, I would plan to spend more time and money at another restaurant near the theater. If you have a reservation, you can get to the restaurant directly from the Grand Garage without needing to circle the theater from the street.I would recommend this to a friend.
- We eat there before each ofRamonaDined on 3/9/2014We eat there before each of our plays. Staff is very friendly and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- book of hippJll0906Dined on 3/9/2014Menu has changed. That is good. The only issue was that although I made a reservation via Opentable, the Hipp cafe did not have amy record of it. It did not turn out to be a problem because there was a table available that we were able to use.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient for the matineeOxfordianDined on 3/9/2014We enjoy going to the Hipp Cafe as we can enjoy a leisurely lunch and know we ae minutes away from our seats. Menu is consistent and very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Perfect VenueYazDadVIPDined on 3/6/2014Despite a few negative reviews I've read, I found the Hipp Cafe to be the perfect venue for pre-theater dining. Make your reservation for 6:00 PM. Easy parking in the Grand Garage. No lines. Helpful, courteous and unrushed staff who guide you through the ordering process. Fast and efficient service after ordering (less than 10 minutes). As one of the first guests of the evening, everything came out fresh and hot. The Chicken Rosemary Rice soup was outstanding (pay a little more and get a bowl). Otherwise, settle for the combo cup & sandwich for one price. All the sandwiches looked great coming out of the kitchen including our honey BBQ chicken & bacon and the steak hoagie. Pass on the homemade chips (way too salty). Ask for a substitute!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hipp if you go to showBaltimoreDiner03VIPDined on 3/5/2014Quick place for a simple meal before the show. Otherwise, there is no reason to eat here.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Theater eatsspriteDined on 3/4/2014Good place to eat before the show starts. Food is nothing special but more than adequate. The staff is always courteous and always hustling to get the job done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night at the HippoFozzieDined on 3/4/2014My wife and I were very very pleasantly surprised with the Hipp. We were looking for a convenient restaurant to the Hippodrome and welcomed a light menu. It hit the mark perfectly. The food was very tasty. I enjoyed sitting in the lobby area and that our reservation had our name on the table was a nice touch. Only drawback is standing on line to order your food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Location, Location, LocationAlohaLouieVIPDined on 3/2/2014The Hipp Café was the perfect place to eat prior to a performance at the Hippodrome. Although the menu was limited, the food was good and the service very friendly. My wife loved the Taco Salad, I was less than overwhelmed by the crabcake sandwich . . . a shame when world-class crab cakes are available for take out at Faidley's in Lexington Market only one block north . . . though closed on Sundays.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quick bite before a showVariDined on 3/2/2014Offers sandwiches, salads and beer and wine. Quick and everyone working there was great. Good stop before the show, quick, good and a lite meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice lunch before showKwineDined on 3/2/2014Had lunch with friends before show and it was very convenient and fun. The food was decent and they scan your tickets while you are seated so you just go right into the theater without going outside again. You order at the register and then they bring your food to your table. Overall, it was a nice way to start the theater experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.