12 N Eutaw Street
Baltimore, MD 21201Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thehippcafe.com/
- Phone: 4106251401x205
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm, Saturday & Sunday: 2 hours prior to showtime;
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 2 hours prior to showtime
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Burgers, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Paul Lever
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wine
- Catering: Spectrum is a full service caterer. Our Executive Chef & Professional Events team can customize a menu for your next event ranging from breakfast meetings & corporate dinners to barmitzvahs or weddings.
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact Spectrum's Event Coordinator Kimberly Dorgan for our private Dining and event options
- Private Party Contact: Kimberly Dorgan 4437032430x
- Cross Street: W Baltimore Street
- Parking: No
- Parking Details: There is parking attached to the Hippodrome Theatre in the Grand Garage. When exiting the garage please use the Paca street exit and turn left onto W Baltimore Street. The Hipp Cafe is located between Paca Street and N Eutaw Street
A word from Hipp Cafe
The Hipp Cafe is the exception! We have great food, great ingredients at a great value. Everything we offer at the Hipp Cafe is prepared in house from the best seasonal ingredients available. We have a great selection of fresh baked breads, homemade soups & fresh cut salads and artisan paninis. Our menu is designed for fast service but is not fast food. The Hipp Cafe has a casual dinning atmosphere where you can enjoy a a glass of wine and a bite to eat before your theatre performance.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Hipp Cafe - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Hipp Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.3Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (13)neighborhood gem (10)special occasion (7)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (2)late-night find (2)fit for foodies (1)scenic view (1)hot spot (1)notable wine list (1)good for groups (1)Show More
- Before the showRetiredDined on 9/14/2014Great place to get a quick meal before the show at reasonable prices. Would eat there again before seeing a show.Special Features:
- Good before showMeganDined on 9/13/2014My grandmother and I always eat here before a show and we love the food. I especially love the chips ;)Special Features:
- Food is really good, but...PokrChickDined on 9/13/2014Our reservation was for 12:45 on a day with a 2:00 matinee. We got there at 12:40, check to make sure one of the tables had our reserved sign on it and got in line to order. By the time we got to our table, it had been given to someone else. When I asked a server what happened to our reserved sign, I was told our table was given to someone in a wheelchair that needed a table that was easy for them to access. I was also told that tables are given away if you're 15 minutes late. It was now 5 minutes past our reservation time. I was angry that our table was given away and our reserved sign was not put on another table as there aren't many to be had. We got lucky and someone left right then but the new table was in a horrible location.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Late serviceDennyDined on 9/13/2014We called to say that we would be 30 minutes late so they took away our reserved table. Service was slow (we were not alone in this regard) and just made it to our seats a minute before the performance at the Hippodrome. We have had good experiences in the past. I would suggest that you make sure that you reserve and get to your table 1 1/2 hours before show time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unbeatable conveniencespzaggerVIPDined on 9/12/2014Although this is not a top choice for a leisurely dinner and haute cuisine, its convenience for a quick pre-theater bite is hard to top. There was a table waiting with our name on it even though we arrived late due to traffic. (We called, and the response was "don't worry; come on in.") Our food was delivered to our table not too long after we ordered at the counter. My steak hoagie tasted better than it looked, and my companions gave similar reviews to their salads.I would recommend this to a friend.
- RamonaRamonaDined on 9/11/2014Always a good place to eat before shows at the Hippodrome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for a quick bite before show.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014The Hip Cafe had good service, served our food quickly, and their food prices were reasonable. The quality of the food was also good. Not much ambiance and a bit noisy but very conveniently located next to the Hippodrome. Would recommend for a quick bite before the show but not for a special occasion.
- Worst everOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014Went to the Hipp Cafe prior to going to the Hippodrome. Had reservations for 6:45. Plenty of time for a sandwich (which is the Hipp Cafe's primary fare) prior to the 8:00 show. Placed our order at 6:45. Approximately 25 min later a server tells us they are out of the item I had ordered, would I like to make another selection. So I chose another sandwich. Another 25 mins go by, and still no food! By this time it was nearly 7:45! I asked to see the manager....explained my situation to him, and asked for my money back. My money was refunded with a curt...."sorry". I would have expect management to be significantly more apologetic, and offer an explanation. Nothing but sorry! It was very apparent this place was overwhelmed.Special Features:
- Good if going to HippodromephoenixDined on 9/10/2014We go to the Hipp Cafe before a show at the Hippodrome. The food is good, but you have to stand in line to order and then wait a while to get served your food. Don't go if you are in a hurry to get to the show.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never got the mealsConvenientdiningDined on 9/9/2014Previous service at Hipp Café has been good, food OK. Last visit was very disappointing. We did not receive our food after a lengthy period of time. Reminded the hostess, some meals came. Reminded hostess again that all meals had not arrived but we did not have time to eat prior to performance, received credits but watched the show hungry!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShowGoerDined on 9/9/2014Always a pleasant experience before attending a show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good place to eat before a show.MarianneDined on 9/9/2014My friend and I have been attending the Hippodrome sine it opened in 2006 and have been having dinner before our show at the Hipp Cafe for about 5 years. It' convenient, good food, good service and a very nice staff. I recommend it highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014So convenient for theater dates...will definitely use again! Great experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hipp CafeJll0906Dined on 6/15/2014We've eaten at Hipp Cafe many times before seeing a show at the Hippodrome. We always make our reservation using this OpenTable site. However, the past two times that we did this the Hipp Cafe did not have our reservation. I made the 5:45 pm reservation around 3 pm. I received an email confirmation of the reservation. So why didn't Hipp Cafe receive any information about my reservation? In the future I will call up to make the reservation. Fortunately, there was plenty of seating at the Cafe and the staff was very accommodating.
- Sharon RiderlovetheatersDined on 6/15/2014We were a group of three. Each of us ordered something different and all of us were pleasantly pleased. We will come again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/8/2014Great for pre-theatre. You can get there 45 minutes before curtain, get a very nice meal and still have plenty of time to get to your seats. Prices are very reasonable also.Special Features:
- Excellent food. Service wonderful.2HippDined on 6/8/2014A must before every show. Reservations always ready. Run into a little traffic, the table's waiting. Wait staff is friendly and unbelievably efficient. You know the care. Hustle and bustle creates and almost carnival-like atmosphere. Leave the worries behind. It's almost show time when you sit down at the Hipp. Each dish had its own unique little twist that constantly arouse your taste buds. Bread pudding is the best around. Nothing like one slice a couple of forks to bring folks together. Speaking of folks, if you're a people watcher, that's fun, too. With the kind of service offered at the Hipp, the crowd seems to turn over every few minutes...something that doesn't have to happen, though. You can eat quickly or relax and enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient!TheaterDined on 6/8/2014The Hipp Cafe serves very good food and is the most convenient place to get a good sandwich or salad before attending a show at the Hippodrome.Special Features:
- Hipp cafesuz25Dined on 6/8/2014Went before theater. It was very convenient. Getting your food is also very convenient. Will go there the next time I go to the theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/8/2014we were very happy with the food and service . it was extremely convenient for us , as a before the show lunch. the staff were very friendly and accommodating.Special Features:
- Tasty Pre Show Menu!NavySinger517Dined on 6/5/2014We have enjoyed everything we've tried! Not a bad thing on the menu!Special Features:
- The following 393 reviews are from the Hipp Cafe reviews archive.
- Before the Showsuz830Dined on 5/27/2014We often eat at the Hipp Café before shows at the Hippodrome Theater. Even though the cafe is crowded before a performance, if we make a reservation through Open Table, there is always a table ready for us. The food is casual --we almost always order either a very good salad or their terrific hamburger with homemade chips. The service is fast. efficient and very friendly. Beginning with a meal at the Hipp Café always makes the theater experience more fun.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Theater DiningRetiredDined on 5/27/2014Great place to eat before the show..good food, quick service, and easy to get to show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient for theatertheArboristDined on 5/27/2014A convenient location when attending events at the Hippodrome theater. Food was good, crab cakes a bit too spicy (overwhelmed the crab). As a cafe, the setting was Spartan, but nice, clean, spacious, and quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food & ConveniencejhayDined on 5/17/2014We had lunch at the Hipp Café before the show. I would highly recommend this. The food was delicious and it was very convenient. We enjoyed our lunch and then walked into the theater to our seats once the doors opened.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/16/2014The Hipp Cafe was a very enjoyable place to get a tasty dinner before a show. It was convenient, comfortable and a lot of fun. The price of the food was moderate, very comparable to other places to eat. The service was very cheerful, helpful and courteous. All in all, it was a very enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Before TheaterMarciaDined on 5/15/2014If you're going to a performance at the Hippodrome, this little cafe is the place to go. The food is simple....sandwiches and salads, but the service is very friendly and prompt. Compared to Alewife, across the street, the food is better and you don't have to suffer through the loud noise; and compared to the newer Forno, if you prefer simple straightforward, very reasonably priced food, go to Hipp Cafe.Special Features:
- showtimespriteDined on 5/13/2014It's a great place to have dinner before a show and it is generally a good idea to make a reservation, just in case.Special Features:
- Before Theater MealTheaterDined on 5/11/2014It was very convenient, service was wonderful and the food was good. We would definitely use the Hipp Cafe again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hipp Cafe convenientLin8307Dined on 5/10/2014It is a pleasure to come early for a hippodrome show and have dinner in the cafe. It has easy ordering. The servers are volunteers as they are involved in the workings of the show. They are very frienldly and helpful. The menu is very limited and never changes. That is the only downside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient4UsWay2GoDined on 5/10/2014When seeing a show this place is very convenient and affordable. The food is good and the staff very friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was not as advertisedajtapsDined on 5/10/2014The reason I reserved here with my granddaughter was because their menu said they had small individual pizzas. When we arrived, there was no one to check in with and no waiter. There was only a counter to order at and no pizzas at all on their menu. I told them on the Open Table link to Hipp there were pizzas and they were misleading people by leaving them on there. I asked if there was anyone who would check us in and they said no. We left and went across the street to a lovely Italian restaurant. TAKE THESE GUYS OFF YOUR LIST. Zero rating all around
- Hipp No GoFemiDined on 5/10/2014I have had lunch there twice. The first time they gave me a table under the staircase. This last time they let someone else take my original assigned table and the waitress did not tell us that we had to go to the bar and order our food. I do not plan to go there again unless it is absolutely necessary.
- Hipp fast foodBobreviewDined on 5/7/2014Good food and very timely - great service. Works really well for a night at the Hippadrome. Not a great dining experience but I have been multiple times and pleased with each experience.
- convenient but not tastyFLLgirlDined on 5/6/2014We had a reservation at the Hipp Café at 6:45 before the show. Had no problem getting there from the attached garage even though the theater was not open until 7:00. Service was friendly and fast, but the crabcake I had was tiny and burned on the bottom and really not good even though it was pretty pricey. I would go again just for convenience, but I wouldn't get crabcakes.
- Menu revisionsConvenientdiningDined on 5/6/2014We dine here for all theatre events because of the convenience and some handicapped in the group. Your menu gets very boring over time. Would be nice if there were specials or changes to the menu periodically. Cannot beat the convenience.
- ConvienentJeff26ttDined on 5/6/2014A great place to get a little something to eat before the theatre. Taco salad was great. Hamburgers needed a little help. No French fries was a negative.I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwfulOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/3/2014Was not open and receiving guests until 10 minutes after opening time and reservation tiem, not clean, bad smell - smelled like old grease. Food was awful, dry, appeared to be heated in the microwave.
- We'll never go there againBigRubeVIPDined on 4/13/2014Since we live in the DC Metro area, we don't generally go to the Hippodrome, so we don't know where to eat in the area. The Hipp Cafe seemed an obvious choice since it was right next to the theatre. We'll not make that mistake again. My bar-b-q chicken sandwich had a sauce much too liquid to eat as a sandwich, plus the meat was dry, making it inedible to me. My husband's burger was also dry. And the home-made chips were doused in Bay seasoning, which we also couldn't eat. We might have tried the desserts, but by that time the sole line to order food was backed up, and we didn't want to be late for the show.
- Great pre-show spotHippHippHoorayDined on 4/12/2014The Hipp Café is a great place for a lunch or a snack before a show at the Hippodrome Theatre. The food is fresh and delicious, and the portions are large. Reservations are recommended.Special Features: