Hip Kitty Jazz & Fondue
502 W First Street
Claremont, CA 91711Neighborhood:
FonduePrice: $31 to $50
Hip Kitty Jazz & Fondue
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hipkittyjazz.com/
- Phone: 9094476700
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday -Sunday 6:30-2am.
*Friday & Saturday- $5 cover for the band and a $10 per person food or drink minimum required. 21 and over. The last dinner reservation is at 8 pm, walk-ins thereafter for service until midnight. Walk-ins always welcome.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fondue, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Christian Morrish
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call the Hip Kitty to inquire about holiday parties or special events.
- Entertainment: Live musical entertainment is provided every night usually starting at 8 pm. Live jazz is our focus, but we mix it up a bit so please check our website for our entertainment calendar. hipkittyjazz.com
- Special Events: Valentine's Day Special: Two dinner show times available, 6pm or 9pm. Prefixed meals A)$135 include: Two $10 admissions,"Dinner for Two" Tax and 18% gratuity added.PACKAGES MUST ME PURCHASED BY CREDIT CARD IN ADVANCE. Please leave an evening phone number where you can be contacted by our hostess when making reservations online. IF YOU DO NOT GET A CONFIRMATION CALL FROM US, YOU DO WILL NOT HAVE A RESERVATION. Bottle service available. 21 and over.
A word from Hip Kitty Jazz & Fondue
Hip Kitty is a swanky and intimate jazz supper club and lounge located in downtown Claremont’s Village. Located in a renovated 1922 Packing House, the warm and eclectic vintage décor takes you back to an era when jazz was subversive and fondue was all the rage. Hip Kitty is classy but casual and over 21 only- a great place for a date night or a special celebration. The retro menu features a wide selection of cheese, chocolate, and meat & seafood fondues in addition to our lounge food menu. Live music is featured on our stage 6 nights a week. Check out our entertainment calendar and our full menu at www.hipkittyjazz.com. Hip Kitty also has a large outdoor patio with private cabanas and a fire pit. Reservations are for fondue dining only (cocktail and appetizer service is always first come-first serve). The last dinner reservation is at 8 pm, walk-ins thereafter for service until midnight. Fri/Sat-$5cover, $10 per person food requirement for booth seating.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
Hip Kitty Jazz & Fondue - Best Restaurants in Claremont ›
Hip Kitty Jazz & Fondue reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelEnergetic
special occasion (36)late-night find (30)good for groups (27)neighborhood gem (25)vibrant bar scene (20)hot spot (19)fit for foodies (19)romantic (19)great for brunch (4)great for outdoor dining (4)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- fun atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/31/2014Overall this place was good. Only down fall was that it was overwhelmenly hot. It seemed like they had no AC. Which made us run outta there early.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great music and dinner night spotNightsOutDined on 8/30/2014Just a great place to enjoy music and have some food and drinks. Have been there several times now on the weekends and always a consistently good night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great atmosphere!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014I went for my best friend's 22nd birthday and the atmosphere was fantastic. They had great food-pricey-and really good drinks. My personal favorite was their Singapore sling. Overall, a great experience I would recommend to anyone who enjoys lounges over crowded clubs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need AIR Conditioning!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014We had a fabulous time, but how can you not have air conditioning. We noticed people leaving due to the unbearable heat unfortunately we left too. We loved the band but it was too hot!!i heard people complaining in the bathroom about how hot it was and they too were leaving. Please get Air we'd love to go back and not feel like we are in a sauna....Special Features:
- very cool spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014I have been here before and i always have a great time , the food is good the bands are always on point what else can you ask for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a blast!AlleyDined on 8/16/2014Been wanting to go for awhile, did not dissapoint! Great atmosphere; the Tim Gill All Stars were playing, total time warp to the golden age of crooners and big bands. Cocktails are a bit pricey but food is reasonable. The bacon chicken asparagus was really good as was the montecristo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalDiningChimesDined on 8/8/2014This is a wonderful way for all who have heard of fondue, but never experienced it, to embrace the ambience and fun of "at your table" cooking! The waiters/waitresses are super helpful, pleasant, and always eager to answer questions or help guide one through the no more that 5 minute cooking time! Hip Kitty makes it fun and "Hip" again to cook your food on skewers and dip, dip, dip! LOVE it! The food, stuffed potatoes, meat, sauces and SALAD/dressing were phenomenal!! Then to top it off, favorites like marshmellows, rice krispy treats and fruit to dip in chocolate, left this gluen-free girl VERY happy to be able to partake in the goodies. I just let everyone else eat the brownie and cookie :))Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A birthday to rememberdessertfirstDined on 8/3/2014Came here for my mom's birthday on a Sunday. Happy Hour well drinks all night was a great deal along with the cheese fondue. The staff was really friendly, joked around with us and made us feel like we were at home. The music by Groove Session wasn't the jazz I expected, but still great musicians. Dessert fondue- the traditional- also yummy, but not as good as the bananas foster fondue. Also would recommend the chicken sausage Mac n cheese. The only thing that didn't have a good a flavor as I wanted was the cheddar-garlic fondue. It just seemed to be overpowered by the wine. Not enough cheese. Regardless. I will definitely be returning and telling more friends about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The band GROOVE SESSION was great!JazzyDined on 8/3/2014Ryan our server was attentive and friendly. The food and well drinks were decent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So fun!RobinsMommyDined on 8/2/2014My hubby and I came on a Saturday night and had a blast! The drinks are a bit pricey but still good and they had great music. We'll most definitely be back :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- celebratehipsteveDined on 8/1/2014Our second time at Hip Kitty and it was a blast. We went for our anniversary and were not disappointed. The service was great and very good food and fondue. It was a bit warm, not sure if the AC was on the fritz or not, but that didn't keep us from enjoying the night. Definitely a good place for a date or a celebration with a group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hip Kitty Jazz & FondueTSMODined on 7/20/2014This was the Best Experience for us! Amanda Castro is a Fantastic entertainer, the waiter was the best and the food was excellent! We will be back with friends and will be regular visitors. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of a kind, but...loveoldschooljazzDined on 7/19/2014The ambiance is as usual one of a kind and the food is always delicious. The only advice I'd give is to find out who will be doing the live entertainment for the evening. The difference in volume output and styles between performers greatly varies.Special Features:
- Fun Place!foodieVIPDined on 7/18/2014This is by far not a foodie venue- but it IS a great place for jazz, sometimes danceable-- and there's a little dance floor right in front of the band. We went for the music and ended up doing a bit of swing dancing. Very fun. Staff is really nice. The people actually come to LISTEN to the music, not talk over it. Very enjoyable evening. I would definitely go back, especially if there is a band playing danceable music!
- Music good. Food not so good.LovethemusicDined on 7/6/2014Excellent service. Didn't like the fondue meet and the cheese dips. Tasted kinda funny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great musicBLAMDined on 7/6/2014This is the only place I know in the area with truly great music on a regular basis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome entertainment spotfoodiezonedDined on 7/5/2014This is a great place for great food and entertainment. It's a place for a more mature crowd. The staff is friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. I've been here three times and I haven't been disappointed. I recommend the cheese platter with a good wine. But the rest of the menu is just fine. The cheese fondue is nice because you can actually choose the cheese you want. That's a great plus. The drink menu is pretty good with great choices. The mixology was pretty good. This is a fun place for couples our groups. I highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tonyagsDined on 7/3/2014Hipkitty is nice, food is good and live music is always interesting. The only suggestion would be to turn up the AC, it gets really hot when you are enjoying your fondue while you sweat.Special Features:
- SaunamjfanDined on 6/20/2014It was EXTREMELY hot and humid in the place making it very uncomfortable. I was sweating more than I think I should have considering I was just sitting there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great EntertainmentadvaitaDined on 6/15/2014Great Entertainment even on Sunday evenings. Good food and wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthday funmusicloverDined on 6/13/2014Took a friend for her birthday..it was her first time there..we had a great time!! good music..good food great atmosphere..will definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the live entertainmentadvaitaDined on 6/8/2014This place has great live entertainment most nights of the week, including Sunday. Their fondues and mac & cheese are really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jazz, Fondue, Mac & CheeseadvaitaDined on 6/1/2014Great live music especially jazz on a number of nights. Fondue and Mac & Cheese variety is great. Wine list needs a bit of expansion, but they have a couple of great Michael David red wines.Special Features:
- Step back in time..for a great timeLoriVIPDined on 5/30/2014What a fun experience the Hip Kitty was! So retro 60's....I swear we had the same art and cork board in our house growing up. Fun fibe, good food, great first visit....we will be back.Special Features:
- Fondue FunComelonaDined on 5/30/2014We've been to Hip Kitty a half dozen times. It's a great place to bring out of towners. There's really not a bad seat in the place (all booths & tables face the stage or have a clear view of it). The cheese & meat fondue options are fine, but the dark chocolate fondue is deliciously decadent. The website said no cover charge before 8:00, but the hostess said cover charge starts as soon as the club opens. Although the waitress was new, she was very friendly & accommodating. However, she overcharged us & we had to do the math for her since we were 4 guests & she charged for 5... The entertainment was Ginger & the Hoosiers & it was nice to be able to still hear & converse over the music. Sometimes the bands can be too loud. Cute & retro space!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOW!MrBaritoneDined on 5/20/2014I've never had fondue before, but my date was an experienced fondue-er and she guided me through the menu expertly. The food is AMAZING and the experience is so fun as they mix and melt the cheese and other ingredients right there before you. DEFINITELY a plus for anyone who's never had fondue before. Our server seemed a wee bit scattered, but her fun personality and attentiveness more than made up for it. Price was a little higher than I was expecting, but in retrospect seemed about right for the evening, so no complaints there. This is a perfect spot for dates because as you cook your food, there is plenty of opportunity for socializing and laughing over failed fondue techniques for noobs like me. I will definitely be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerCami1234Dined on 5/18/2014I went her for my birthday to have my first fondue experience. I loved it! We will be back.They gave me a small, yummy lemon drop. I only wished they served potatoes with the fondue. But that's my only complaint. Everything else: AWESOME!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 637 reviews are from the Hip Kitty Jazz & Fondue reviews archive.
- Great ResturantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/2/2014Hip Kitty was a great place to celebrate my friends Birthday! We had a large group that fit comfortably in a large booth. We had a blast eating fondue and listening to a great band. I am planning on returning to celebrate my daughters 21st birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun & Entertaining Night OutKenRhinoDined on 5/1/2014The Hip Kitty was just the right choice to take my wife for her birthday. She loves music and unique food, so it was the perfect combination. Our waiter, Drew, was extremely knowledgeable about the food (which could be daunting for someone not familiar with fondue) and the beverages. We enjoyed our food immensely, and the music was good.Special Features:
- Great entertainment, not fondueGlamguruDined on 4/25/2014Food was not good and overpriced. Service was mediocre. Entertainment was fantastic! Great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect date nighttriplejDined on 4/19/2014Great food, great service, great entertainment! Will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place and food, bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/19/2014Everything was great accept for our server. I already spoke with manager and most our meal was comped. But our server had no knowledge of the menu. I dont feel like that is all her fault. Was she not tested before going out on the floor? She didn't even know normal server knowledge. Maybe a new server shouldn't have been put on a full house, Saturday night shift. I felt really bad for her. So sad.Special Features:
- Love This PlaceSamtothemeDined on 4/11/2014Hip Kitty has a fabulous ambiance. Great decor and lighting. The food and drink are excellent. I went on a night where the entertainment was also superb which MADE the entire experience that much better. Phat Cat Swinger was performing and they fit into this scene perfectly. The high energy and great music of this amazing swing band in combination with the hip hot spot made for an amazing night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great atmosphereCeci24Dined on 4/5/2014We had a great experience..good food and service.Always enjoy the Hip Kitty!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hip KittyoutandaboutDined on 4/4/2014The Hip Kitty lives up to its name..what a great spot...great food...amazing music...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/30/2014This is a great place to go for an entertainment and dining experience. The ambiance is very good as is the food. The drinks are pretty good but the scene makes up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FunTamaraDined on 3/21/2014This place is a lot of fun and the band was fabulous. Although, there needs to be more gluten free options on the menu (ie; gluten free crackers for the cheese plate, gluten free breads for the sandwiches, etc.).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful place, Excellent vibe!DaphneDDined on 3/21/2014We are totally in love with the Kip Kitty! We drove an hour to get there and it was so well worth it that we would be happy to do it again!!! I've traveled the world and this is one of my favorite places I have been!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- was very ' HIP'OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/16/2014the evening was very nice.cool experience and cool vibe,enjoyed !! we had a party of 8 and we all had a blast !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls Night OUtBruingirlDined on 3/8/2014Got together for a Girl Night Out and Hip Kitty was recommended. First time there for many of us and what an experience . Had a great time; nice ambiance was the music was great…we were entertained by the Phat Cats. Many of us decided to take Swing Lessons; it was fun watch the people dance. Good food and drinks; the crowd was amazing and everyone was so friendly. Looking forward to next visit to Hip Kitty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.