Hinterland Erie Street Gastropub
222 E Erie Street
Milwaukee, WI 53202Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Hinterland Erie Street Gastropub
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hinterlandbeer.com/
- Phone: (414) 727-9300
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Bar: Monday-Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kelly Qualley
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Cigar Room, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: At Hinterland, the private dining options are endless. Whether your group’s size is 20 people or 125, we can provide the pinnacle experience and value for your guests. If your looking for an intimate space for up to 20 people, our private dining room is the perfect setting, or if a smaller business meeting is the agenda let us facilitate a private room with an LCD projector and screen. For groups of 20 to 40 guests, Hinterland’s lounge is the perfect space with its own private bar for reception and plenty of seating for a “sit-down” dinner or passed hors d’ oeuvre party. Also, the entire restaurant is available for private parties of 40 or more people for more formal wedding receptions, holiday parties, business meetings or for any occasion.
- Private Party Contact: Mike Matousek 4147279300x
- Cross Street: Water
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is available in the Historic Third Ward public garage located on Chicago Street directly adjacent to the rear of the building. You may enter the restaurant's building on the second level of the parking garage through the parking garage's breeze way.
A word from Hinterland Erie Street Gastropub
Hinterland Erie Street Gastropub specializes in contemporary American Cuisine with an emphasis on fresh ocean fish, wild game and world class steaks. Hinterland E.S.G. also features handcrafted beer fresh from our brewery in Green Bay as well as an extensive wine list from around the world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Hinterland Erie Street Gastropub - Best Restaurants in Milwaukee ›
Hinterland Erie Street Gastropub reviews from OpenTable diners
42 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (29)special occasion (22)neighborhood gem (16)romantic (14)hot spot (11)good for groups (9)notable wine list (8)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (4)Show More
- City Tins AficionadoWave1wannabeDined on 11/15/2014My wife and I tried Hinterland because we had a coaster with the "City Tins" promotion. I've read some positive reviews and was interested in giving this place a try. We have tried a fair number of the "Farm to Table" type restaurants lately and I think that Hinterland is the best of the bunch. Everything we tried was superb. From the six beet salad to my pan seared sturgeon to desert. All were memorable. At every point, it was clear that a high level of attention went into both the preparation and presentation. Also, our server was very knowledgeable about the menu. Which is no small task considering how often it changes. We were unfamiliar with some of the dishes and methods of preparation and our server was very helpful about explaining some of the more unique ingredients and their impact on a dish. My experience made me wish I'd tried this restaurant sooner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed feelingsAnnieVIPDined on 11/14/2014We arrived at 6 p.m. Overall, the food was really tasty, but overpriced. The bill was $180 for 3 people. All of the wines were $12-14 a glass. The $18 charcuterie cheese tray was incredibly small. If it was $10-12, the tray would have been acceptable, but for what was on the plate, $18 was absurd. Steak was about $34, tasty, but very sparse plate overall. The fresh trout was delicious, but more than $30. The perch fish fry was probably the best dish for the money. Overall, the food was delicious, and service pretty good until the very end, when our server Ashley asked us to leave right after we paid the bill and tipped her 20%. She said she had another party waiting. Interesting.... we felt like we were being rushed out, conveniently after she collected the tip. Literally one minute after she grabbed the sign credit card paper, she suggested we leave. Tacky. Tacky.Special Features:
- Loved it!KtsockiDined on 11/6/2014Hinterland has always been a favorite of mine! Great job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great discovertJohnDined on 10/31/2014Food was outstanding. We each had a pork dish and we all raved about them. Service was terrific- friendly, attentive, polite. All of the staff was first class. If we had one negative it was that the dinning area was cold - temperature wise which detracted from the overall ambience, something to pay attention to in Milwaukee now that winter is upon us. Otherwise we had a delightful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mid-week group diningMKEAttyVIPDined on 10/30/2014I have been to Hinterland many times. This time I took a group of 6 business clients. The food and beer was excellent as always, but the service was not up to the usual standards. This was a Thursday night -- not difficult to get a table.Special Features:
- A Foodie's DreamTheRomanticFoodieDined on 10/24/2014My boyfriend and I stopped by Hinterland and were delightfully surprised at the quality of food, the warm atmosphere, and the romantic setting. We split two small plates for dinner instead of getting any of the main courses, but what we had was outstanding. We had the burrata (which had some kind of light, delicious smokey, peppery red bits over it on a small bed of greens) and the wood fire grilled quail. The burrata was perfectly textured and avoided any 'of the farm' taste that it can sometimes have. The quail was outstanding: flavorful and rich without being fatty, tiny and satisfying without making us feel that we rolled home. One of the quail's legs was very slightly underdone, but the meal could not have been better otherwise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bad bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014That sums up the night. The food was good. Although I got the shrimp and the mudd line was left in all the shrimp. unacceptable at a high end resturant. From the second I stepped into the resturant and waited at the bar for a drink the service was horrible. Everyone was friendly but non attentive. I sat at the bar for a good 10 min. before the bartender served me. Or table service was worse. We never saw the waitress. We spend well over $300.00 this night. not that we should get better service because of this. This just points out the service really doesnt care.
- skippyDined on 10/14/2014Really enjoyed the combination of foods. Everything was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service and foodAdventurerDined on 10/11/2014Service staff from the hostess to the waitstaff were phenomenal. Didn't have much contact with bar staff but they thanked us on our way out. The food was absolutely fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DariusVIPDined on 10/11/2014Everything was great, other than the $26.50 charge for my "top shelf" Long Island Iced tea which was charged as "4" individual premium liquor shots which collectively amounted to $26.50 for 1 drink ! It shouldn't have been priced like that, it shouldn't have been more than $16 since it was a single drink. Otherwise, staff and food was great. Darius from ChicagoSpecial Features:
- Inattentive service; bland foodYoungCoupleDined on 10/11/2014Really not impressed. Went as a date with my wife-- the food was really bland--particularly for the price. we had to call the server over multiple times just to do basic things like order. Recommend Benelux, Wicked Hop or Maxie's over this place any day of the week for good food and good beer
- Hooray for Hinterland!BelleDined on 9/26/2014My husband and I have dined at Hinterland for many years. We love the dining room, the service is always good, and the food is outstanding! The chef is very creative and comes up with amazing dishes to will tantalize your taste buds. Their consistency is the best part about them. We have never had a bad meal here. Hooray for Hinterland!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Style Over FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/26/2014Somewhat disappointed by Hinterland Gastropub. The restaurant looked very nice and the menu was appealing, but the flavors and preparations left something to be desired. The squid was overcooked. The sashimi was under seasoned. The fish and chips were plain. The dessert (lemon pot) was very good and probably a highlight. The beer, wine and cocktails were all very good, so maybe a better bar than restaurant experience.Special Features:
- Great foodLocaldinerDined on 9/22/2014Wood grilled Cobia was excellent. Only disappointment. No Octoberfest on tap!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 9/20/2014Don't miss the cobia with the red hot butter. Wonderful meal. Exceptional service. We'll be back.Special Features:
- GS14Dined on 9/20/2014Food and service were very good. Will definitely remain on our list of Downtown spots.Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014This was our first time dining at Hinterland. We have been wanting to come for a long time, as some of my friends rave about it. My husband tried a few different types of their in-house brews and really liked them. I have a delightful sangria. We really enjoyed their pickle platter (pickled cucumbers, asparagus, cabbage and corn). I ordered the elk and my husband ordered the hanger steak. Neither one of us had to use our steak knives. The meat was so tender that we used our butter knives. The ambiance was very romantic and dim, and the noise level was perfect. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good, wanted greatMKEatsDined on 9/9/2014I like this place. It was our second visit on a birthday. I wanted to love it. We enjoyed the happy hour special, the appetizers, and the dessert. The entrees, while delicious, weren't quite right. My husband, an omnivore, who is veg at home, went for the steak on his birthday, said his favorite part of his meal was the lovely king oyster mushrooms. My vegetarian entree was not on the menu, which is always a pet peeve of mine. While it was good, it was not a "wow" dish in the execution. I eat a lot of veg and I know undercooked root vegetables when I meet them. Furthermore, the presentation could've used a grain. Who ever heard of lovely, saucy tagine with no couscous to sop it up? Maybe they were conflating vegetarian with gluten free?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 708 reviews are from the Hinterland Erie Street Gastropub reviews archive.
- Great EveningStevebucknutDined on 4/8/2014Traveling to Milwaukee on business and hadn't been to Hinterland for a few years. As usual, it did not disappoint! The menu is always so unique from dishes I've never heard of before to the traditional - something for everyone! The atmosphere is great - Pottery Barn meets the warehouse district. Service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food; nothing else notableAuraLee9Dined on 3/8/2014The food was delicious and innovative, but our server was emotionless and the decor was minimalist. So overall, a fine experience, but I wouldn't go back. Nothing amazing enough to draw me back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great third ward optionDanMVIPDined on 3/7/2014We had been to Hinterland for drinks in the past, and this was our first time dining there. The service was fantastic, and the atmosphere was relaxing. There were several interesting menu options, of particular note the octopus gnocchi and butternut squash flan. We would certainly go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining in Milwaukee's Third WadOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/6/2014Beautifully designed bar and dining area. Interesting menu, though maybe a bit too "foodie" for my wife's expectation. Perhaps a few more common entrée preps for those not looking for "interesting takes-and descriptions". Service was good, and friendly. Only complaint was that the red wine we ordered was noticeably too warm. The server quickly brought us a bottle holder carafe with ice to remedy the problem. However, I wonder how all the wines are stored when this happens.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantTrispaceDined on 3/1/2014We went to Hinterland based on reviews in Yelp and Urbanspoon. It did not disappoint. Food was excellent, service was great and the atmosphere was just right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly Up-Scale SurprisekateDined on 3/1/2014I don't typically think of such a gastropub as a fancy restaurant, but was pleasantly surprised that Hinterland was. We went while visiting from out of town for my husband's birthday. We ordered bread service, a cheese plate, summer sausage, an a tasty gnocchi with elk bolognese. All were delicious, and the beers we had (that they brew) were awesome. We never felt rushed, and loved the clean modern ambiance. The host and hostess were even very helpful in helping us track down a cab to get back to our hotel. Awesome addition to Milwaukee's Third Ward.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top NotchSueMDined on 2/28/2014Really cute, comfortable place. We were greeted by a very friendly hostess who took us to our table and made us feel very welcome. Our server was top-notch. The food was just delicious; perfect portions and fantastic preparation and presentation. We also enjoyed our margaritas. With a ever-changing menu, everything is a "special." It was fairly pricey but we felt it was worth it. We will be back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really great experienceSirk1234Dined on 2/22/2014We were celebrating a special occasion and chose hinterland because of the unique atmosphere. It did not disappoint! We had an outstanding evening - great good! This is a unique place - you won't find this food just anywhere! Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy Atmosphere and Superb FoodCrazy8Dined on 2/22/2014I'm glad we chose Hinterland for a late Valentine's date. The restaurant was busy but not crowded, and the server was very friendly. Since they are associated with the Hinterland brewery in Green Bay, they have many excellent beers on tap. Of note, they have 3 nitrogen infused beers for only $5 each, each of which have that smooth and creamy feel that you don't get with CO2 beers. The food was very good. The most notable dish we tried was the sweet potato gnocchi. We will be coming back just to have that dish again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bummer.JTTCDined on 2/21/2014Used to come here often....wont anymore. place has fallen off the tracks. surprised if it makes it thru the summer. actually hope it doesnt. over priced and not nearly as good as the SO many other options in milwuakee.
- A decent meal but unremarkableout2eatDined on 2/15/2014I would rate the experience at Hinterland very average to strange. My wife and I both ordered the steak and I could tell that they are more about presentation than substance. For the price , the amount of meat you get is below avg for what would expect. Since everything is a la carte, I thought the salad would be ample - it was not. For $8, the salad was tasty enough but would not expect about 5 leafs and some crumbles. The funny thing about it was when we were done, we were told we would have a surprise dish! Great I thought....it's the day after V-Day...maybe a small desert, a coffee?...some fruit. No....it was a "special" brussel sprout dish....very odd. It was good....but was wondering if this was by design or by accident.Special Features:
- Wonderful Meal!MarkDined on 2/14/2014Great service and food in a neatly styled space. Highly recommend it for special occasions!Special Features:
- Very good butOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014While we enjoyed our experience we felt that for the price the portions were small. The squid ink pasta was wonderful but the seafood on top was tiny. The pan roasted duck breast was very good but again small for the $32 price tag.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good cocktails and solid foodgbrangerDined on 2/14/2014Enjoyable experience. Be prepared to spend a lot. The cocktails and beer are top notch. Would really enjoy happy hour. The hangar steak was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for a special nightSharonainWBDined on 2/6/2014innovative menu, exotic and trendy ingredients, beautiful plating, sophisticated flavors and locally sourced, or in-house meats, breads and sauces. The venue was also very contemporary and full of personality. Great for discerning foodies up for a fun night out and a remarkable culinary experience. We aren't drinkers, but I also had the impression they had a good bar menu. I just can't speak to that from personal experience.Special Features:
- The food was great, serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 2/1/2014The food was great, service was a bit slow but they were busy so we totally understood. The only complaint I have is that I did not get the 1000 Open Table points for the reservation. How is that rectified?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative and Delicious!Kvv711VIPDined on 2/1/2014Having been to Hinterland several years ago (and having an unremarkable experience) we were interested to see why the reviews were so stellar lately. We know now. The food (new menu each day) was creative and beautifully executed. Server was very informed and helpful. The chef manages to create food that satisfies the eyes and the palate. The sablefish (black cod) was beyond perfection! Our only disappointment was our table, which was near the VERY BUSY BRIGHT kitchen opening (not a door, just an opening) and the glare from the fluorescent lights and constant traffic with hustling servers was a little distracting. We will DEFINITELY return often, but will know to request seating away from that area. Valet parking was very helpful!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were seated immediatelyOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 1/31/2014We were seated immediately at a cozy corner table. I had the salmon which was flavorful and warm. My husband enjoyed the sirloin. A good meal.Special Features:
- SurpriseEnjoyDined on 1/30/2014By calling it a gastro (pub) we were surprised. Gourmet and terrific!Special Features:
- Great food, friendly serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/25/2014We had the sirloin and hanger steaks, both were excellent. Our server was very friendly and helpful, gave good suggestions. I plan to take my parents there when they come to town, was a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New FavoritebillidDined on 1/25/2014We had a great anniversary dinner at Hinterland. The menu is so varied and inventive. Every dish is balanced with regard to flavor and expertly prepared. And what a treat to dine in a restaurant where tables are arranged with enough space for servers and patrons to move freely and where diners can converse without shouting. That's a rarity. We look forward to many more visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the ElkeatingoutDined on 1/24/2014Oysters were great, Elk was fantastic and the service was just as good. Well done Hinterland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.