Hinterland Erie Street Gastropub
222 E Erie Street
Milwaukee, WI 53202Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Hinterland Erie Street Gastropub
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hinterlandbeer.com/
- Phone: 4147279300x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Bar: Monday-Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kelly Qualley
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Cigar Room, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: At Hinterland, the private dining options are endless. Whether your group’s size is 20 people or 125, we can provide the pinnacle experience and value for your guests. If your looking for an intimate space for up to 20 people, our private dining room is the perfect setting, or if a smaller business meeting is the agenda let us facilitate a private room with an LCD projector and screen. For groups of 20 to 40 guests, Hinterland’s lounge is the perfect space with its own private bar for reception and plenty of seating for a “sit-down” dinner or passed hors d’ oeuvre party. Also, the entire restaurant is available for private parties of 40 or more people for more formal wedding receptions, holiday parties, business meetings or for any occasion.
- Private Party Contact: Mike Matousek 4147279300x
- Cross Street: Water
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is available in the Historic Third Ward public garage located on Chicago Street directly adjacent to the rear of the building. You may enter the restaurant's building on the second level of the parking garage through the parking garage's breeze way.
A word from Hinterland Erie Street Gastropub
Hinterland Erie Street Gastropub specializes in contemporary American Cuisine with an emphasis on fresh ocean fish, wild game and world class steaks. Hinterland E.S.G. also features handcrafted beer fresh from our brewery in Green Bay as well as an extensive wine list from around the world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Hinterland Erie Street Gastropub reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (15)neighborhood gem (11)special occasion (10)romantic (8)good for groups (5)hot spot (4)notable wine list (4)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- bad bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014That sums up the night. The food was good. Although I got the shrimp and the mudd line was left in all the shrimp. unacceptable at a high end resturant. From the second I stepped into the resturant and waited at the bar for a drink the service was horrible. Everyone was friendly but non attentive. I sat at the bar for a good 10 min. before the bartender served me. Or table service was worse. We never saw the waitress. We spend well over $300.00 this night. not that we should get better service because of this. This just points out the service really doesnt care.
- skippyDined on 10/14/2014Really enjoyed the combination of foods. Everything was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service and foodAdventurerDined on 10/11/2014Service staff from the hostess to the waitstaff were phenomenal. Didn't have much contact with bar staff but they thanked us on our way out. The food was absolutely fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DariusVIPDined on 10/11/2014Everything was great, other than the $26.50 charge for my "top shelf" Long Island Iced tea which was charged as "4" individual premium liquor shots which collectively amounted to $26.50 for 1 drink ! It shouldn't have been priced like that, it shouldn't have been more than $16 since it was a single drink. Otherwise, staff and food was great. Darius from ChicagoSpecial Features:
- Inattentive service; bland foodYoungCoupleDined on 10/11/2014Really not impressed. Went as a date with my wife-- the food was really bland--particularly for the price. we had to call the server over multiple times just to do basic things like order. Recommend Benelux, Wicked Hop or Maxie's over this place any day of the week for good food and good beer
- Hooray for Hinterland!BelleDined on 9/26/2014My husband and I have dined at Hinterland for many years. We love the dining room, the service is always good, and the food is outstanding! The chef is very creative and comes up with amazing dishes to will tantalize your taste buds. Their consistency is the best part about them. We have never had a bad meal here. Hooray for Hinterland!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Style Over FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/26/2014Somewhat disappointed by Hinterland Gastropub. The restaurant looked very nice and the menu was appealing, but the flavors and preparations left something to be desired. The squid was overcooked. The sashimi was under seasoned. The fish and chips were plain. The dessert (lemon pot) was very good and probably a highlight. The beer, wine and cocktails were all very good, so maybe a better bar than restaurant experience.Special Features:
- Great foodLocaldinerDined on 9/22/2014Wood grilled Cobia was excellent. Only disappointment. No Octoberfest on tap!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 9/20/2014Don't miss the cobia with the red hot butter. Wonderful meal. Exceptional service. We'll be back.Special Features:
- GS14Dined on 9/20/2014Food and service were very good. Will definitely remain on our list of Downtown spots.Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014This was our first time dining at Hinterland. We have been wanting to come for a long time, as some of my friends rave about it. My husband tried a few different types of their in-house brews and really liked them. I have a delightful sangria. We really enjoyed their pickle platter (pickled cucumbers, asparagus, cabbage and corn). I ordered the elk and my husband ordered the hanger steak. Neither one of us had to use our steak knives. The meat was so tender that we used our butter knives. The ambiance was very romantic and dim, and the noise level was perfect. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good, wanted greatMKEatsDined on 9/9/2014I like this place. It was our second visit on a birthday. I wanted to love it. We enjoyed the happy hour special, the appetizers, and the dessert. The entrees, while delicious, weren't quite right. My husband, an omnivore, who is veg at home, went for the steak on his birthday, said his favorite part of his meal was the lovely king oyster mushrooms. My vegetarian entree was not on the menu, which is always a pet peeve of mine. While it was good, it was not a "wow" dish in the execution. I eat a lot of veg and I know undercooked root vegetables when I meet them. Furthermore, the presentation could've used a grain. Who ever heard of lovely, saucy tagine with no couscous to sop it up? Maybe they were conflating vegetarian with gluten free?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 708 reviews are from the Hinterland Erie Street Gastropub reviews archive.
- Great EveningStevebucknutDined on 4/8/2014Traveling to Milwaukee on business and hadn't been to Hinterland for a few years. As usual, it did not disappoint! The menu is always so unique from dishes I've never heard of before to the traditional - something for everyone! The atmosphere is great - Pottery Barn meets the warehouse district. Service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food; nothing else notableAuraLee9Dined on 3/8/2014The food was delicious and innovative, but our server was emotionless and the decor was minimalist. So overall, a fine experience, but I wouldn't go back. Nothing amazing enough to draw me back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great third ward optionDanMVIPDined on 3/7/2014We had been to Hinterland for drinks in the past, and this was our first time dining there. The service was fantastic, and the atmosphere was relaxing. There were several interesting menu options, of particular note the octopus gnocchi and butternut squash flan. We would certainly go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining in Milwaukee's Third WadOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/6/2014Beautifully designed bar and dining area. Interesting menu, though maybe a bit too "foodie" for my wife's expectation. Perhaps a few more common entrée preps for those not looking for "interesting takes-and descriptions". Service was good, and friendly. Only complaint was that the red wine we ordered was noticeably too warm. The server quickly brought us a bottle holder carafe with ice to remedy the problem. However, I wonder how all the wines are stored when this happens.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantTrispaceDined on 3/1/2014We went to Hinterland based on reviews in Yelp and Urbanspoon. It did not disappoint. Food was excellent, service was great and the atmosphere was just right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly Up-Scale SurprisekateDined on 3/1/2014I don't typically think of such a gastropub as a fancy restaurant, but was pleasantly surprised that Hinterland was. We went while visiting from out of town for my husband's birthday. We ordered bread service, a cheese plate, summer sausage, an a tasty gnocchi with elk bolognese. All were delicious, and the beers we had (that they brew) were awesome. We never felt rushed, and loved the clean modern ambiance. The host and hostess were even very helpful in helping us track down a cab to get back to our hotel. Awesome addition to Milwaukee's Third Ward.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top NotchSueMDined on 2/28/2014Really cute, comfortable place. We were greeted by a very friendly hostess who took us to our table and made us feel very welcome. Our server was top-notch. The food was just delicious; perfect portions and fantastic preparation and presentation. We also enjoyed our margaritas. With a ever-changing menu, everything is a "special." It was fairly pricey but we felt it was worth it. We will be back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really great experienceSirk1234Dined on 2/22/2014We were celebrating a special occasion and chose hinterland because of the unique atmosphere. It did not disappoint! We had an outstanding evening - great good! This is a unique place - you won't find this food just anywhere! Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy Atmosphere and Superb FoodCrazy8Dined on 2/22/2014I'm glad we chose Hinterland for a late Valentine's date. The restaurant was busy but not crowded, and the server was very friendly. Since they are associated with the Hinterland brewery in Green Bay, they have many excellent beers on tap. Of note, they have 3 nitrogen infused beers for only $5 each, each of which have that smooth and creamy feel that you don't get with CO2 beers. The food was very good. The most notable dish we tried was the sweet potato gnocchi. We will be coming back just to have that dish again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bummer.JTTCDined on 2/21/2014Used to come here often....wont anymore. place has fallen off the tracks. surprised if it makes it thru the summer. actually hope it doesnt. over priced and not nearly as good as the SO many other options in milwuakee.
- A decent meal but unremarkableout2eatDined on 2/15/2014I would rate the experience at Hinterland very average to strange. My wife and I both ordered the steak and I could tell that they are more about presentation than substance. For the price , the amount of meat you get is below avg for what would expect. Since everything is a la carte, I thought the salad would be ample - it was not. For $8, the salad was tasty enough but would not expect about 5 leafs and some crumbles. The funny thing about it was when we were done, we were told we would have a surprise dish! Great I thought....it's the day after V-Day...maybe a small desert, a coffee?...some fruit. No....it was a "special" brussel sprout dish....very odd. It was good....but was wondering if this was by design or by accident.Special Features:
- Wonderful Meal!MarkDined on 2/14/2014Great service and food in a neatly styled space. Highly recommend it for special occasions!Special Features:
- Very good butOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014While we enjoyed our experience we felt that for the price the portions were small. The squid ink pasta was wonderful but the seafood on top was tiny. The pan roasted duck breast was very good but again small for the $32 price tag.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good cocktails and solid foodgbrangerDined on 2/14/2014Enjoyable experience. Be prepared to spend a lot. The cocktails and beer are top notch. Would really enjoy happy hour. The hangar steak was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for a special nightSharonainWBDined on 2/6/2014innovative menu, exotic and trendy ingredients, beautiful plating, sophisticated flavors and locally sourced, or in-house meats, breads and sauces. The venue was also very contemporary and full of personality. Great for discerning foodies up for a fun night out and a remarkable culinary experience. We aren't drinkers, but I also had the impression they had a good bar menu. I just can't speak to that from personal experience.Special Features:
- The food was great, serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 2/1/2014The food was great, service was a bit slow but they were busy so we totally understood. The only complaint I have is that I did not get the 1000 Open Table points for the reservation. How is that rectified?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative and Delicious!Kvv711VIPDined on 2/1/2014Having been to Hinterland several years ago (and having an unremarkable experience) we were interested to see why the reviews were so stellar lately. We know now. The food (new menu each day) was creative and beautifully executed. Server was very informed and helpful. The chef manages to create food that satisfies the eyes and the palate. The sablefish (black cod) was beyond perfection! Our only disappointment was our table, which was near the VERY BUSY BRIGHT kitchen opening (not a door, just an opening) and the glare from the fluorescent lights and constant traffic with hustling servers was a little distracting. We will DEFINITELY return often, but will know to request seating away from that area. Valet parking was very helpful!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were seated immediatelyOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 1/31/2014We were seated immediately at a cozy corner table. I had the salmon which was flavorful and warm. My husband enjoyed the sirloin. A good meal.Special Features:
- SurpriseEnjoyDined on 1/30/2014By calling it a gastro (pub) we were surprised. Gourmet and terrific!Special Features:
- Great food, friendly serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/25/2014We had the sirloin and hanger steaks, both were excellent. Our server was very friendly and helpful, gave good suggestions. I plan to take my parents there when they come to town, was a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New FavoritebillidDined on 1/25/2014We had a great anniversary dinner at Hinterland. The menu is so varied and inventive. Every dish is balanced with regard to flavor and expertly prepared. And what a treat to dine in a restaurant where tables are arranged with enough space for servers and patrons to move freely and where diners can converse without shouting. That's a rarity. We look forward to many more visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the ElkeatingoutDined on 1/24/2014Oysters were great, Elk was fantastic and the service was just as good. Well done Hinterland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceLizzDined on 1/17/2014Our server was amazing. He catered to all the different personalities in our group, was extremely attentive, and had a great sense of humor. I don't remember ever having such great service while dinning out. Wish I could recall his name! We were a group of 10. Thank you!Special Features:
- The duck was very good butluvgoodfoodVIPDined on 1/17/2014The duck was very good but the scallops were gritty and the taste off putting (almost as though they were going bad. The portions were small and expensive.Special Features:
- Over the topKateDined on 1/17/2014No one menu item was composed of all known ingredients. A bit over the top, but food was good.Special Features:
- This was a recognition dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/3/2014This was a recognition dinner for two top performers. They had never been there before and raved about it. The food was wonderful. There were a couple of duplications but overall we mostly had different dishes, and everyone proclaimed them excellent. The service was a little slow, but there's also a balance between time to enjoy which I think the server was doing. Overall, excellent!!Special Features:
- Excellent!retznutzDined on 12/31/2013Great food and -perfect- service. Caught a break and scored a table the day before New Years Eve (last table available). The price is up there, but the food and service is worth it!Special Features:
- All Around ExcellentMKEDLWDined on 12/21/2013Just dined this saturday and really had a great experience. Staff was very attentive and genuinely helpful. Food was wonderful. The updated menu was a pleasant change. Keep up the good work Hinterland!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.