2251 W Lawrence Ave
Chicago, IL 60625Neighborhood:
EuropeanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://himmelschicago.com/
- Phone: 7737848777x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, German, Italian
- Executive Chef: Carol A Himmel
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Please call Diana Himmel-Krewer for all of your catering needs.
- Entertainment: Every Thursday & Friday we have live acoustic music for your dining pleasure.
Every first Wednesday of the month we have a jazz trio for our "Rack-N-Jazz"
- Special Events: Please call Diana Himmel-Krewer for all of your special needs.
A word from Himmel's
From the owners of the original Pizza D.O.C., we welcome you to Himmel’s. In 2014, we have expanded our menu to include many more authentic German dishes that are receiving rave reviews from customers. When you walk into our restaurant, we want you to feel like you are at home. Our amazing wood-burning oven is the first of its kind in the city of Chicago. The oven is straight from Rome and has been making authentic pizzas and breads for more then 16 years. The flavor profile this culinary vessel brings to pizza is so spectacular; we just couldn’t let our other foods get jealous. So we started to experiment and found that our specials have been such a hit, we wanted to make them a more permanent fixture.Our wood-burning oven will still be churning out our famous Roman style pizzas made with the freshest ingredients, handcrafted and baked in a 700-degree oak burning brick oven. We pride ourselves on our outstanding food cuisine and service. We look forward to seeing you soon.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Himmel's reviews from OpenTable diners
12 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (9)neighborhood gem (5)fit for foodies (4)kid-friendly (4)special occasion (4)great for outdoor dining (3)romantic (1)great for brunch (1)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Job Celebrationjabs52VIPDined on 9/9/2014We celebrated my daughter's new job. We had wonderful service, with great menu and drink suggestions. My daughter and I split chicken schnitzel as the portions are generous and we also split a great salad with pears and blue cheese! My husband had the sauerbraten and my son had the champignon Rahm schnitzel. They also split a salad. Everyone loved their meal and left full, no room for dessert. The restaurant had a social event that night at the bar but it did not impact the rest of the restaurant. The whole staff is very welcoming and the atmosphere very comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Himmel's is a find!SancerreyVIPDined on 9/5/2014We live in the neighborhood but have never gone to the restaurant before although we used to order pizza from Pizza DOC, former location for Himmel's and owned by the same family. The same wonderful pizzas are on the menu as well as German good and a range of others. Great atmosphere, food and service. Acoustic guitar singer on Friday had a wonderful voice and added to the overall experience. I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite restaurantWorkingForALivinVIPDined on 8/29/2014Love the food - try it all its wonderful. The people are terrific and service is amazing.Special Features:
- Could not eat thereregdinerVIPDined on 8/26/2014I don't know if the problem was with Open Table or the restaurant but I made a 6 PM reservation for dinner around 9 AM in the morning. The reservation was confirmed and I received the customary email. When we rived at 6 PM that evening, the restaurant was hosting a private event and we were unable to eat there. The owner advised they had blocked the day out at Open Table. Obviously either Open Table or the owner had not confirmed that the day had been blocked.
- Love the foodDoshiVIPDined on 6/28/2014Excellent service and food. I would definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 95 reviews are from the Himmel's reviews archive.
- DissapointingSmcflyVIPDined on 5/11/2014Previously, we've enjoyed meals at this "family friendly" restaurant. On this recent Mother's day the service was poor very poor. The waitress barely attended to our table. Ordering spaghetti and meatballs for our children [3 & 5yrs], we assumed the waitress would use the "children's menu" portion. No, she brought the 15.95 adult plate that too spicy for kids. No matter, since it took over an hour to arrive, the children had both fallen asleep at the table. The owner offered to take it off the bill but the waitress forgot to do so. So, we had to send the check back for revision, extending our odyssey. Oh, after handing the check to us in a "we welcome AMEX" card holder, I was informed, "we don't accept" AMEX. Really? Happy Mother's Day!
- TracyDined on 5/11/2014Good ambience, delicious house wine and good food (not exceptional) I would certainly go back.Special Features:
- Upscale German FoodNdskiDined on 5/11/2014This is how Germans eat German food. The ingredients are top notch as are the preparation and serviceSpecial Features:
- saturday night outmichigan1Dined on 5/10/2014A bit pricey for the locale and portion size. Id prefer more of the main course than vegetables. Had the sauerbratten very good but could have gone for more beef.Special Features:
- Poor customer servicebrodyboyVIPDined on 5/9/2014If you are no longer going to accept American Express, stop using their check presenters and take out the signage from your window. Also, at least have a plausible excuse as to why you are no longer accepting it.
- Decide what you want to beFoodie47VIPDined on 5/3/2014German or Italian? The food was okay but when I ordered the trout I was told after 20 Minutes the trout would take an hour to prepare. Are they fishing for it? Would not go back. The severs have to be more informed. She could explain how things were prepared. No top shelf vodka. Good beers.Special Features:
- Mixed FeelingsGwb773Dined on 4/4/2014This restaurant had good food but we found service to be substandard. It appeared as if the waitstaff word discombobulated and frustrated. There appeared to be a disconnect between the kitchen, bar and bussing staff. At one point I waited nearly 20 minutes to get my martini and when I received it was room temperature and the waiter seemed to feel it was okay to hand me a martini that he knew was waiting and room temperature. I would give this location a second try because I found the food to the high-end but if the service of the same I'll never return.Special Features:
- Delightful New FindAmyjazz19Dined on 3/25/2014My former landlord took me to dinner here. I was concerned because whenever I get together with him, we take a long time dining. Not to worry. We never felt rushed, and as a result, we had a nice relaxed dinner. Our waiter, Alec, couldn't have been any nicer and he was also very knowledgeable about the food. Karl and I split a bottle of wine (the Sangiovese (great!) split the Himmel salad (basic, but fresh and healthy.) He had the ribeye, I had the pork tenderloin. Both were delicious. The room is beautiful and spacious. The bar is pretty, too. I would feel comfortable coming here alone to dine and sit at the bar. All the people who worked there were extremely friendly. I will definitely be back. What a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeChicagoDined on 3/22/2014Another good meal at Himmels. Everything was fresh and tasty with large portions. Great service and not rushed on a Saturday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place is amazing!!!!!DoshiVIPDined on 3/8/2014This place is amazing!!!!! And their service is also excellent which makes everything a whole lot better.!!! Definitely recommend this place :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm vibe, great service, delishscaredofwhitesauceDined on 2/26/2014Went here with a friend and really enjoyed the food and the atmosphere. They didn't rush us, even though we ended up sitting talking for a good hour after we ate (wouldn't have done that if it was really busy but it was a wednesday night and there were plenty of tables open). The food was great, the service was attentive without being overbearing, and I'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- Best food/serviceDoshiVIPDined on 1/25/2014The food at Himmels is amazing, and the service is even better. The young lady that was serving us was so polite, friendly and had a great personality. I had the Rahm entree and it was absolutely delicious! Definitely would recommend it to others!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding meal!TheLloydDinersGroupVIPDined on 1/24/2014Darling restaurant run by two wonderful German sisters using family recipe. AMAZING flavor -best German food we have ever had. Live music on Friday nights adds a nice touch. Pork shank and Rahm Schnitzel ... WOW! Don't pass this one up. It is worth your trip from anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Saturday Night MealChicagoDined on 1/18/2014We arrived as a party of six and were seated immediately. The waitress recommended the grilled vegetables for an appetizer. A great choice -- they were all very good, there was great variety and the plate was enormous. Everybody enjoyed entrees which included pastas, pizza and fish. Although the restaurant was busy, we were there about two and a half hours and were not rushed.Special Features:
- Less would be moreOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/3/2014We ate here for a family birthday party and came away underwhelmed by the experience - especially at the price point. Started with a variety of salads and the grilled calamari. Calamari was done nicely but salads were just OK. Italian dinners were far too salty and the portions sizes were ridiculously big - as a way to counteract the poor execution? Service was hit or miss - when the wrong of wine was brought, the server insisted that indeed my husband had ordered that kind, rather than taking it back and getting the right kind Less would be more at Himmel's. Pick a culinary region and execute it well - don't try to straddle all of Italy and Bavaria - and scale down the size of portions but scale up the quality of the food.
- Extended European Bar FoodChiFlyVIPDined on 12/28/2013I wasn't certain what to expect, but it turned out to be classic Italian food and classic German food. A European adventure. I have returned several times as I like their portions and the home-style preparation of the food. Good comfort food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE THIS PLACE!!!DoshiVIPDined on 11/16/2013Himmel's has a great selection of German and Italian food. The salads are to die for!! I can honestly say that I've tried many of the items on their menu and it is just fantastic. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone who loves Italian or German good. Best food ever and not to mention the amazing server we had. She was amazing and energetic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent pasta and peopleTommyPDined on 11/15/2013Have been going here for over10 years and can honestly say it has not disappointed me once. Fantastic pasta and friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food/serviceDoshiVIPDined on 11/2/2013I went with a group of people on a Saturday night and the young lady that was serving us was terrific! She was fun and very friendly :) the food was great and it helped that she didn't make any mistakes! Excellent go-to restaurant if you're looking for a place to have dinner with a group and/or friend. I will definitely be back!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday at 4:45 pmItalianJimDined on 10/26/2013My family of 4 loved this place when it was Pizza Doc & we were afraid after the change in name that we would have different food or food not as good. We found that we had the same great food & we had a very conscientious waiter - which was hard to find in the past. Overall, the experience was great. Only down side was that they were tearing up the street in front of the restaurant & parking was a real issue. When my wife went into the restaurant to ask where should we park, they did not seem to know or care. I thought this was odd & we were driving away when we found a spot on Lincoln about 5 blocks away. We a special needs child it was a long walk, but we were glad we decided to stay. Pizza was great, Calamari was great -(not greasy).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful time!WorkingForALivinVIPDined on 10/19/2013Thank you for a wonderful time and terrific food - just wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and staff! AlwaysIrishDined on 9/24/2013Great food and staff! Always a good time at Himmels.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't miss Himmel'sjoyfulDined on 9/5/2013We went to Himmels for the first time- wanted to take our elderly lady friend who is German. The German family Himmel owners could not have been more warm and welcoming. Even though they were in the midst of peeling enough potatoes for 2900 pounds of potato salad for the annual Lincoln Square German fest-- they still made time for us. Great ambiance, food, service and a place that's full of authentic hospitality. Great for groups!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday lunch reviewKYgirlDined on 8/11/2013I picked this restaurant off the internet for my "Day in Chicago" trip. It was a Sunday and there were a lot of large family groups there celebrating. The staff did well with this and was attentive. The Sunday brunch was delicious--lots of breakfast pizza, pasta, made to order omelettes, waffles, and wonderful grilled vegetables plus lots more!. The caprese salad was delicious and the bruschetta with tomato and basil was the best I had ever had. I had never had a neapolitan pizza and it was so good! The employee who cooked the pizza even came out and asked me how it was, and made conversation. I ended the meal with the tiramisu and an espresso macchiato!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Haven't lost its charm...HauntingRavenswoodDined on 8/3/2013I was a bit skeptical when a friend from out-of-town wanted to eat at a local restaurant we could walk to from the heart of Lincoln Square. What was formerly "Pizza D.O.C." has evolved nicely to become a truly "Euro-centric" dining experience now known as "Himmel's." Both the Calamari and Antipasto appetizers were delightfully prepared to savory perfection. While my companion feasted upon the grilled salmon (wonderfully tasty) I dined upon the classic spaghetti & meatballs. The pasta was cooked to al dente perfection, dressed with a light marinara and had the requisite juicy meatballs that just melted in your mouth with every delicious bite. I plan on visiting Himmel's soon so that I may sample what I can from all offerings on their menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVEOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/6/2013All 3 of us loved our meals. One said his was the best steak he ever had. I thought my pork shank was a decadent work of art. Going back to try the pizza soon -- they have a brick oven! -- if I can resist another pork shank.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I am definitely going to headorpheus02Dined on 6/23/2013I am definitely going to head back to HImmel's to try the pizza. The food was excellent: I was with a group of four and all of the dishes were equally wonderful. I highly recommend taking the trip.Special Features:
- Service Stumbles in the KitchenMikeVIPDined on 6/15/2013Our group of 9 ordered salads, pizzas and schnitzels. The salads came out promptly, and were tasty. Unfortunately, the rest of the food was incredibly delayed, which was particularly painful because we had children in our party. After a half hour, we asked about the entrees and were told that they were coming out shortly. After 45 minutes, we asked again and were told the same. After several more tense conversations, the pizzas arrived a little over an hour after we ordered them, with apologies that the kitchen was backed up - although the restaurant was less than a quarter full. The schitzels came out about ten minutes later. That delay was bad, but the lack of communication and concern from the staff was even worse.
- Great addition to ChicagoJulililaDined on 6/14/2013European Bistro - a mix of Italian and German food, sets me back to my hometown in Germany where there are tons of Italian restaurants. The quality of the food was terrific and the atmosphere - no ooomptata - absolutely charming. The service for out party of 11 was excellent and the waitress made no fuzz about splitting checks for each person. I recommend the restaurant for everyone who enjoys good food in a great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service was nice but theLittleNickyDined on 6/1/2013The service was nice but the Pasta I ordered was too greasy!Special Features:
- Great food and amazing service!DoshiVIPDined on 5/24/2013Great food and amazing service! Excellent salads and entrees! A must go to placeSpecial Features:
- Finally a different brunchNdskiDined on 5/12/2013Brunch here is not the same ole same ole. The dessert and grilled veggies alone are worth it. I normally wouldn't eat pasta off a brunch (waste of calories, filler etc) but the fresh mushroom penne made me go up 3 times. And the custom waffles! omg! So fluffy & creamySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WORSE THAN SLOW!!!!!casinoDined on 5/5/2013We read other reviews but didn't believe it could be that bad. We were going to be in the area and liked the variety of menu choices. It took over an hour to get our soups and salads. After two hours we still didn't have our dinners. After two hours and fifteen minutes we got up and left. When we got there only one other table occupied so there was no excuse. The owner was too busy sitting at the bar and the chef was too busy talking with some customers at their table. No wonder it took so long. We had to ask our server multiple times to bring things. On so many levels, this is not a well run establishment. We dine out at least three times a week and have never written a review but this experience was so awful we had to warn others.
- The chicken schnitzel wasDionnaDined on 4/17/2013The chicken schnitzel was exactly like my Oma's. The mashed potatoes were creamy and the veggies were fresh. My friend had the champagne pork schnitzel and that was excellent! The spatzel was delicious! I will be going here for another authentic German meal. I am the first on my Dad's side that was born in America, so I grew up with my Oma cooking traditional German meals my whole life!Special Features:
- The menu was an interestingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/12/2013The menu was an interesting combination of German and Italian cuisine. The pizza is awsome and so was the pasta dish we ordered. We are going to be interested to try some of the German dishes. The wait staff was terrific and very friendly. This is a very kid friendly restaurant and my kids which are very picky really enjoyed the food.Special Features: