35 W. Main St. #A
Ventura, CA 93001Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.himalayacuisine.com/
- Phone: 8056430795x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
Friday and Saturday 5:00pm.-10:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian, Nepalese
- Executive Chef: Ganesh Gharti
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Himalaya Restaurant
Himalaya is the modern cuisine of Nepal, India and Tibet where you can not only enjoy an authentic food from Himalayas but also experience some fusion American/Mexican food with Himalayan herbs and spices. We live with a motto of 'buy locally, cook globally'.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Himalaya Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
- Himalaya was a nice surprise.HaneDined on 10/1/2013I'm not a fan of Indian cuisine, but they completely flipped my attitude. Website needs updating; decor is cooler than pictured. The menu on line was intimidating; but in the restaurant it has pictures/descriptions of the food, plus signage to tell if it's spicy, vegetarian, or "most popular". It features Tibetan and Indian cuisine, even offering yak! Our waiter was fun but quiet and guided us on a fantastic dining adventure. The service was excellent. Good international beer list. Himalaya easily tops the 3 other Indian restaurants in the area. They stream videos of Tibetan/ Nepalese culture on TV screens. Oddly located in a Von's shopping mall on Ventura Avenue. Great surprise to find a new favorite spot; will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attractive restaurant, deliciousdebowVIPDined on 9/19/2013Attractive restaurant, delicious food and good service. The staff was friendly and happy to discuss the food and culture of the region.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Himalaya DinnerHikerValVIPDined on 9/4/2013Samosas and Chicken Tikka Masala and Garlic Naan are all very yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was a wonderful findOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/31/2013This was a wonderful find in the Ventura/Oxnard area. Although it is in a large strip mall, the small restaurant feels very authentic and the staff was very accommodating! The food was delicious and the staff was helpful with recommendations as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Multi-ethnic for the adventurousEthnicIsGoodDined on 8/9/2013This restaurant was quite a "find" for us. Since it offers cuisine from Nepal, Tibet, and India, it offers many choices for the person who craves international flavors. We enjoyed the food thoroughly, and the staff were very attentive to our needs. The restaurant is small, but decorated with items from the respective cultures, as well as providing somewhat unique seating arrangements (pillow-like cushions s to sit on). Himalaya is not exactly local to where we live (an hour's drive!), but we will return in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch is an amazing valueDishingOjaiDined on 8/8/2013The lunch specials come with an entrée choice, chutney, daal, naan or rice, and soup (and I'm not a soup person, but their soups are always sooo good), all for around $10. The food is so delicious and you can customize the heat on a scale of 1-5. I crave the paneer tikka masala, but the Sherpa curry is really good, too. How do you decide with so many great choices? And Sal is super nice and helpful if you're not familiar with this kind of food and not sure what to order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulDishingOjaiDined on 6/13/2013The food here is so good. Lunch is a tremendous value because you get the whole experience in smaller portions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Himalaya ExperienceWesWDined on 5/26/2013Great food, good variety on menu, good friendly service. Definitly added to our list of regular restaurants to frequent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another excellent mealOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/24/2013We keep coming back because everything is so good. I can recommend the house wine, better than most places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Himalayan food in VenturaOxnard15Dined on 5/18/2013Three of us had lunch at Himalaya Restaurant in Ventura which features Indian and Nepali food. We all enjoyed the meal. One had Tandouri Chicken, one had a lamb dish and I had the Sherpa chicken curry. We order the vegetable pekora appetizers which were delicious and came with two sauces. We ordered bread stuffed with spiced peas and potatos, also delicious. We ended the meal with homemade pistaschio and cocoanut ice creams. Everything was excellent. This is our second visit and we will certainly go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome variety. Flavorful!ThereseDined on 5/16/2013Awesome variety. Flavorful! Great service for our party of nine.Special Features:
- Nice, comfortable placeGregDined on 5/13/2013Himalayan is an intimate spot, with charming design choices and food that can be both familiar and exotic. One word of warning, the curries can be quite spicy, especially at the top 5/5 level. You might want to try a 3 or 4 on your first outing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loved the food..........uniqueOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2013loved the food..........unique and delicious............ the service was very nice....pride in ownership always makes for a good food experienceSpecial Features:
- One of the better Indian restaurantrgzspickVIPDined on 4/13/2013One of the better Indian restaurants in Ventura County, and they also serve Tibetan food such yak dishes and good appetizers. Service on this Saturday night was a little slow, but the restaurant was fairly crowded with diners. I had chicken tikka masala which was very good, and my wife had tandoori chicken which she liked. Good size portions and we ended taking home some of our food. Nice atmosphere, too.Special Features:
- Ready to try something new?JedimamaDined on 3/20/2013Ready to try something new? Looking for a new favorite restaurant? If so, this is the place for you. We tried so many new foods (and the kids loved every one). It was fun to break away from traditonal dinner meals and try lamb and Budda beer (not for the kids). The staff was very helpful in explaining the items on the menu. We will add this to our regular dinnng rotation.Special Features:
- We very much enjoyed the food,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/8/2013We very much enjoyed the food, the service & the ambience. Wait staff were extremely helpful with menu selections. We will return soon & expect to become regular customers.Special Features:
- What are you waiting forOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/16/2013What can I say. Amazing! Delicious! If you haven't eaten here, your missing out.Special Features:
- Himalaya LunchHikerValVIPDined on 1/14/2013Small, casual dining spot in strip mall with good quality food. Portions are somewhat small for the price. Really like the Chicken Tikka Masasla and the Naan bread!
- Himalaya may have arguablyDishingOjaiDined on 1/4/2013Himalaya may have arguably the worst location in the city, but don't for a second let that deter you from joining them for an amazing meal. The service staff is incredibly friendly and very willing to make suggestions if you are not familiar with Tibetan/Indian cuisine. They will also add the appropriate heat to suit your tastes using what they call the spice-o-meter, which ranges from 1 for kids to 5 for the very brave. I've had a few lunches and dinners there, and everything was thoughtfully prepared and delicious. They also have a little tienda to the side selling trinkets from the region. Don't miss an opportunity to dine in this little gem!Special Features:
- Highly recommended!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/31/2012We loved Himalaya. The service was very good and the waiter did a great job on recommendations and helping us figure out how much to order. They were also super flexible about requests for changes or special items. The food was wonderful - the Lamb Korma was especially good - just the right level of spiciness and beautifully prepared. We also really enjoyed the Momos and Samosas. Overall a great experience and we'll definitely go back the next time we are in town.Special Features:
- Where else can you find YakOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/22/2012Where else can you find Yak on the menu. The lamb madras is outstanding. Call ahead to get one of the low tables where you sit on pillows.Special Features:
- What a delightful surprise.SimplehealthytastebudVIPDined on 12/15/2012What a delightful surprise. Situated in a strip mall, right next to a grocery store, who would have thought you'd find such interesting, ethnic, and unusual food. We tried the Yak which was tasty and low fat. The Indian dishes were very flavorful. There were so many unusual items on the menu that we wanted to try, we'll be back for more.Special Features:
- Excellent food! Great service!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/15/2012Excellent food! Great service! I am of Indian heritage and grew up with Indian food; Himalaya serves some of the best food outside of Indian homes.Special Features:
- The food was great, the staffOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/1/2012The food was great, the staff were wonderful. A great find!Special Features:
- Lunch at HimalayaHikerValVIPDined on 12/1/2012Love the chicken tikka masala and the garlic naan. Service good. Would like to see larger portions for the cost.
- A nice addition to our town.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/30/2012A nice addition to our town. Comfortable, inviting surroundings and helpful service. The food is inconsistant however with the hot/spicey options. Maybe we were not specific enough when asked. (My mild dish was hotter than the hot spiced dish.) But the food overall is good and so flavorful.Special Features:
- A local gem! Really diverseOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/20/2012A local gem! Really diverse beer selection and delicious! Will definitely eat here again.Special Features:
- Himalayas, a wonderful journeyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/26/2012Great service-delicious food. We have had nothing but the best time here-and just love the unique and genuine foods. Excellent waiters, generous portions, a super assortment of imported exotic beers.Special Features:
- Food was very good. ChickenTravelerVIPDined on 6/23/2012Food was very good. Chicken Tikka Masala and Sherpa Curry were prepared very well. The ambiance is very relaxed and pleasant.Special Features:
- We were extremely happy withOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/30/2012We were extremely happy with our food and the service. This was our first time at Himalaya and were pleasantly pleased with everything. The prices were average and the food quite tasty. Will definitely go again.Special Features:
- we were overcharged whichOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/15/2012we were overcharged which we did not catch until we had left.Tried contacting the owner via email, this has been ignored up to this point. This being said,the food was excellent.
- Just in town for one nightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/12/2012Just in town for one night and so happy we opted for Himalaya over one of the more popular Main Street restaurants. I'd drive back to Ventura (an hour away) just to eat here again. Kids loved it too (ages 3-5)! Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Easily the best Indian placeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/4/2012Easily the best Indian place in Ventura. I will be back for sureSpecial Features:
- This really is a neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/30/2012This really is a neighborhood gem. The food is excellent. Great place for casual dining.Special Features:
- I am far from an expert inOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/14/2012I am far from an expert in this food area, but the recommendations were good as was the food. I would certainly return.Special Features:
- menu has classic Indian asOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012menu has classic Indian as well as an exceptional variety of Nepalese and Himalayan dishes. Staff was not just extremely helpful, but very pleasant and friendly...Special Features:
- I'm thrilled that I don'tOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 2/4/2012I'm thrilled that I don't have to drive into LA for Himalayan now. Plus they've got pizza and quesadillas for my kiddo (with a South Asian twist). Plus there's finally someone who recognized the similarities between Mexican and Indian and are exploring the possibilities. Win-win-win.Special Features:
- Our first time at this uniquergzspickVIPDined on 1/15/2012Our first time at this unique restaurant that has Tibetian, Nepalian, and Indian dishes. I had the sherpa stew with chicken, and it was very good. My wife had the platinum burrito and she was not impressed since she said it was mostly greens, with a little bit of chicken and lamb pieces inside. The service was good, and I would try it again with my wife ordering an Indian entree.Special Features:
- We really enjoyed our visitOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/22/2011We really enjoyed our visit and will be back SOON.Special Features:
- Food was amazing. FlavorsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/13/2011Food was amazing. Flavors of sauces, spices all extremely well balanced, truly gourmet quality dishes!Special Features: