850 Lamont Avenue
Novato, CA 94945Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hilltop1892.com/
- Phone: (415) 893-1892
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday 11:30am - 2:00pm
Monday - Thursday 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Friday - Saturday 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday 4:30pm - 9:00pm
Sunday 10:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Todd Davies
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Outdoor cocktail parties, Private Verandas view dining, large cozy booth dining and full property buyouts. We offer flexibility, mouthwatering menu selections, hand crafted cocktails and small production California wine gems.
- Private Party Contact: Erick Hendricks 4158931892x
- Special Events: For Events information and availability at the Hilltop, please call our special events team at 415-893-1892 or fill out the online inquiry here: http://www.hilltop1892.com/private-events/
A word from HILLTOP 1892
A Novato landmark since 1892, the restarurant was completely renovated by owner Erick Hendricks in 2010. Hilltop 1892 carries on decades of tradition by offering quintessential American cuisine and craft cocktails accompanied by panoramic views, friendly service and weekly specials that are sure to enhance the guest’s dining experience. Conveniently located off Highway 101 on top of Hayden Hill, at 850 Lamont Avenue near downtown Novato, Hilltop 1892 is the perfect locale for daily lunch or dinner – innovative menu, deep cocktails, and a 10 mile view.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
HILLTOP 1892 - Best Restaurants in Novato ›
HILLTOP 1892 reviews from OpenTable diners
78 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (59)special occasion (38)neighborhood gem (33)great for lunch (32)good for groups (31)fit for foodies (20)great for outdoor dining (14)romantic (14)vibrant bar scene (13)notable wine list (13)great for brunch (12)kid-friendly (12)hot spot (4)late-night find (1)Show More
- It's NovatoOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/19/2014There are not alot of choices for dining in Novato. Hilltop is there for when you need it. Wonderful, friendly service, the food was just OK. Delicious french fries though!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a delightful experience!MsBordeauxDined on 11/16/2014I hadn't been to Hilltop 1892 for several years since my move to Healdsburg. We were looking for a restaurant halfway between Healdsburg and Mill Valley and 2 of the 6 of us came up with this suggestion! The food was delicious, the service was superb, the atmosphere calm and quiet and the prices reasonable! Our waitress, Joel, was a delight and really made it a fun evening for us! We will definitely be back! It was worth the 70 minute drive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely DinnerCKinMarinVIPDined on 11/14/2014We made a last minute reservation and had a wonderful dinner here. The salad with baby greens was nicely made and the vegetarian pasta was delicious. The salmon bake was even better! Thanks for a nice end of the week experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, ambiance and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/14/2014We had reservations at 6:15 after a round of golf last Friday, and the bar looked so festive we decided to eat there since there were a couple of games on. Our waitress Haddi was very sweet and very attentive, the atmosphere was great and the food was delicious. Glad to see that this place has roared back in business after the renovation. We look forward to our next visit, and we'll try to sit in Haddi's section!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spot for family gatherings.CityorMarinDined on 11/13/2014Food was traditional, nothing beyond that. If you are looking for your palate to be wowed with new creative and exciting taste sensations, this is not it. If you want what you ordered done well - this is the place. Nice atmosphere, lovely staff that make you feel at home in a beautiful spot at the top of the hill!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunchGreatfoodieVIPDined on 11/9/2014The corned beef hash was awesome! The service was great tooSpecial Features:
- onlythebestDined on 11/4/2014overall a great place with good food. the spicy entree was too spicy for both of us and hilltop replaced it graciously. the manager also checked in with us, which was a nice touch. no hard feelingsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hill Top 1892 Novato wonderful.BowlcutDined on 10/31/2014A good friend suggested trying the Hill Top 1892. The food and service was excellent. Also the surrounding view of Marin was wonderful. We will go back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place to meetGordoMuchoDined on 10/31/2014Central location and a good menu. Meeting friends was easy and enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining experienceemithecatDined on 10/27/2014The service was well paced and very good. The food is high quality but not great. The noise level was a little high for use since we were placed next to a group dining room and though there was a door, it was left open a least partially most of the time. Still, it was a very good place to celebrate our anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FriendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014Got a same day reservation, friendly staff, great service, good food and attention to details ,a little loud however due to World series Giants game 4 viewable from the bar in the other room .Special Features:
- Loved it!JSantoyoDined on 10/25/2014It was my mom's birthday and not only was the food delicious, the service was outstanding! We will definitely be going back.Special Features:
- Tavern styleMarlouDined on 10/12/2014I like the way most restaurants are getting unstuffy. No more white tablecloths, just good food and service. Hilltop fits this to a T. There were 5 of us for dinner and we liked the meatloaf, the Baja shrimp salad and the braised short ribs. The Trek Chardonnay was also good.Special Features:
- very pleasantDeborahDined on 10/8/2014We went with our 3 year old niece and everyone was so accommodating with her needs. Great food and the child menu was perfect. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/4/2014Our waitperson was a bit casual with us and unfortunately she came to our table first, as we were there first, but then went back out with our drink order and went down the line of tables taking their orders before she left the area - to get our drinks and starter. We were frustrated as she chatted with the other customers and took their orders at a casual pace. Could have been more professional and less familiar with us. Was trying to make jokes and get us to order dessert; stuff like that. Otherwise it was great. We love the location and the food is good; but prefer a different waitperson.Special Features:
- DelightfulDeniseDined on 9/20/2014Our meal was wonderful and the service was excellentSpecial Features:
- Nice but not great.CandybearDined on 9/20/2014The seater was quite nice; our server was nice but we hardly ever saw her. Had to flag someone down to get ice tea refills, to get a take-out box, to get the check. With dessert, we were not asked if we wanted coffee. It was busy, but still..... Food was good, not great. Small basket of bread never refilled. Did not have an appetizer because there wasn't one item that appealed. Old stand-by entrees (like rack of lamb) gone from menu. Overall, quite noisy, and crying toddler through most of dinner put evening on edge.
- Burger is GREATDaveDined on 9/20/2014Had the burger, and it is one of the best I have ever had.Special Features:
- fanastic experience!!!!DonaUVIPDined on 9/18/2014Food and service was terrific!!! So, much better than last experience. What a difference a server makes but the food was always fantastic!!!!
- Still Spotty On Some LevelsLuvPinotDined on 9/13/2014Chef Todd seems to be hitting his stride at Hilltop. His poke appetizer is attractively presented and affords the diner the option of mixing various flavoring ingredients into the dish in the desired quantity. Service can be spotty (e.g., no one ever offered freshly ground pepper after my salad hit the table and it took a while to signal someone), and the otherwise excellent glass of Reata Pinot Noir I ordered arrived at the table between ten and fifteen degrees over the appropriate serving temperature. These are perhaps minor points, but they do detract from the overall dining experience.Special Features:
- Better na Better!!mikeVIPDined on 9/12/2014The menu, wine list, and service keep improving. Combined with the view and ease in parking, this is a great stop for any occasion.Special Features:
- dinnermateDined on 9/12/2014The Hilltop is such a wonderful restaurant! The food is excellent - the menu includes dishes that are prepared in new and different ways. I was there having dinner with a friend and we split a red beet salad as an appetizer. It was delicious! I had never had anything like it before. The menu has a gourmet feeling. The service was excellent. And the views are quite pretty!Special Features:
- Well done!NoCheeseDined on 9/3/2014My friend has a severe food allergy and I have a restricted diet. The waitress and chef accommodated us perfectly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant in NovatoOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/1/2014Our table of 5 had everything from fish and chips to prime rib. Everything was cooked to perfection, but the pork belly appetizer and the barrata with heirloom tomatos were especially good. More importantly, the service was warm and attentive; none of the hauteur sometimes associated with fine dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall good placeB4ConcertDined on 8/30/2014Great place to take out of town guests. Such a beautiful location and a menu that has something for everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday for daughterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014We had a fabulous dinner, and will remember it always, it was great! Everyone had a wonderful time, will go back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but interesting seatingJomccayDined on 8/27/2014Everything was amazing in terms of food and service. My only complaint is that both times I have been here other people were seated right next to us when there were many open tables available. It can make a conversation difficult at times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just off the markDineoutOftenDined on 8/24/2014Keep wanting to like this place so come back for view but always just off the mark on food. Portions big and slopped onto plate. Doesn't make for a fine dining experience.Special Features:
- Always Happy With EverythingAdventuresInDiningDined on 8/22/2014I am always very pleased with everything about the Hilltop 1892. The food is always outstanding. The service is always exceptionally friendly, accommodating to special requests, and attentive. I highly recommend the Hilltop.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuncheatoutoftenDined on 8/18/2014Well redone. Having been to this restaurant a number of times over the last 35 years I find this re incarnation a very well done up grade. The waiter (don't have his name) was just enough attentive. The Buffalo burger was superb, a statement I do not make lightly. I took a friend there for a birthday lunch, a special occasion, and it served me well. I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK for lunchtravelmaxwkDined on 8/15/2014Service was excellent. Lunch for my date and I consisted of 2 salads. Unfortunately, the Reyes Blue cheese on her County Line Harvest baby green salad consisted of a couple of crumbs. Cheese on my Hilltop chopped salad was non-existent in spite of my interest in the manchego cheese. Since we were deep into a conversation, did not make a fuss about it, but we should have. We dined outside; then the food service truck arrived and idled along side the balcony increasing the noise. It was time to go when the yellow jackets showed up...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/13/2014My husband and I went to Hilltop 1892 for our 31st anniversary dinner. Although the room was busy, our waiter was very attendant. We received a window seat as requested. The food was excellent. There were loud diners around us but the view made it worthwhile. At the end of the meal we were given two sweets in a box to go along with a very sweet anniversary card. The waiter said it was from all the wait staff as well as the kitchen workers. Made the evening perfect. We have been going to this restaurant for many years and it was hit and miss but this was definitely a hit. We will return.Special Features:
- Nice lunch4foodVIPDined on 8/13/2014Nice place to go for lunch. Good variety on the menu but a bit pricey for a lunch salad or entree. Friendly service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst experience ever...bad waiterDonaUVIPDined on 8/9/2014Worse experience ever...the waiter was horrible Orders came wrong for two of us. Had to ask for water and bread...Every time at least 4 times before it was serviced. Food was good when it finally came out right... Would think before suggesting to friends or going again.
- Always a great timeKevinfxstDined on 8/1/2014Service was the best! Food and wine are top notch. Very good views and excellent parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprised!CurliDined on 7/26/2014Prices have really gone up since the last time we were there. The food was good but not good enough for what was charged.Special Features:
- The following 557 reviews are from the HILLTOP 1892 reviews archive.
- Nice surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/9/2014We are locals who just now made it to the Hilltop. Food was great, menu was fresh and diverse, view was stunning, and the service was attentive. The dining room can be noisy so don't expect quiet conversation. Otherwise, this spot is a Novato gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CelebrationDelandDenDined on 7/9/2014An anniversary celebration for my wife and me. First time to Hilltop 1892. Service was outstanding, food was delicious, and view was terrific. I notified them ahead of time that this was a celebration and we got a great table for 2 at the window. Then, at the end they brought us a tiny bag of chocolates with a handwritten card congratulating us on the anniversary. How nice...how classy! We'll come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy CoupleRedWhiteandBlueDined on 6/21/2014Very nice place to relax and enjoy a great meal. The staff went out of there way to make our visit special. The menu had a great selection. The cons are with so many items to select from, it is hard to choose.Special Features:
- knittersDined on 6/20/2014Two couples wanted a special place to take our friend to celebrate her 80th birthday. When making my reservation through Open Table I wrote why we were coming to the Hilltop 1892 restaurant and could they do anything for our friend. Just before leaving for the restaurant I received a call from the manager and he suggested several things he could do for our friend and I selected one of them. This is a restaurant that cares about their customers and wants us to return and we all said we would come back. Thank you for making us feel so welcomed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.