850 Lamont Avenue
Novato, CA 94945Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hilltop1892.com/
- Phone: 4158931892x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday 11:30am - 2:00pm
Monday - Thursday 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Friday - Saturday 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday 4:30pm - 9:00pm
Sunday 10:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Todd Davies
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Outdoor cocktail parties, Private Verandas view dining, large cozy booth dining and full property buyouts. We offer flexibility, mouthwatering menu selections, hand crafted cocktails and small production California wine gems.
- Private Party Contact: Erick Hendricks 4158931892x
- Special Events: For Events information and availability at the Hilltop, please call our special events team at 415-893-1892 or fill out the online inquiry here: http://www.hilltop1892.com/private-events/
A word from HILLTOP 1892
A Novato landmark since 1892, the restarurant was completely renovated by owner Erick Hendricks in 2010. Hilltop 1892 carries on decades of tradition by offering quintessential American cuisine and craft cocktails accompanied by panoramic views, friendly service and weekly specials that are sure to enhance the guest’s dining experience. Conveniently located off Highway 101 on top of Hayden Hill, at 850 Lamont Avenue near downtown Novato, Hilltop 1892 is the perfect locale for daily lunch or dinner – innovative menu, deep cocktails, and a 10 mile view.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
HILLTOP 1892 - Best Restaurants in Novato ›
HILLTOP 1892 reviews from OpenTable diners
66 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (55)special occasion (28)great for lunch (27)neighborhood gem (26)great for brunch (19)fit for foodies (19)good for groups (18)romantic (13)great for outdoor dining (12)notable wine list (11)vibrant bar scene (8)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (3)hot spot (2)Show More
- Overall good placeB4ConcertDined on 8/30/2014Great place to take out of town guests. Such a beautiful location and a menu that has something for everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday for daughterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014We had a fabulous dinner, and will remember it always, it was great! Everyone had a wonderful time, will go back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but interesting seatingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/27/2014Everything was amazing in terms of food and service. My only complaint is that both times I have been here other people were seated right next to us when there were many open tables available. It can make a conversation difficult at times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just off the markDineoutOftenDined on 8/24/2014Keep wanting to like this place so come back for view but always just off the mark on food. Portions big and slopped onto plate. Doesn't make for a fine dining experience.Special Features:
- Always Happy With EverythingAdventuresInDiningDined on 8/22/2014I am always very pleased with everything about the Hilltop 1892. The food is always outstanding. The service is always exceptionally friendly, accommodating to special requests, and attentive. I highly recommend the Hilltop.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuncheatoutoftenDined on 8/18/2014Well redone. Having been to this restaurant a number of times over the last 35 years I find this re incarnation a very well done up grade. The waiter (don't have his name) was just enough attentive. The Buffalo burger was superb, a statement I do not make lightly. I took a friend there for a birthday lunch, a special occasion, and it served me well. I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK for lunchtravelmaxwkDined on 8/15/2014Service was excellent. Lunch for my date and I consisted of 2 salads. Unfortunately, the Reyes Blue cheese on her County Line Harvest baby green salad consisted of a couple of crumbs. Cheese on my Hilltop chopped salad was non-existent in spite of my interest in the manchego cheese. Since we were deep into a conversation, did not make a fuss about it, but we should have. We dined outside; then the food service truck arrived and idled along side the balcony increasing the noise. It was time to go when the yellow jackets showed up...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/13/2014My husband and I went to Hilltop 1892 for our 31st anniversary dinner. Although the room was busy, our waiter was very attendant. We received a window seat as requested. The food was excellent. There were loud diners around us but the view made it worthwhile. At the end of the meal we were given two sweets in a box to go along with a very sweet anniversary card. The waiter said it was from all the wait staff as well as the kitchen workers. Made the evening perfect. We have been going to this restaurant for many years and it was hit and miss but this was definitely a hit. We will return.Special Features:
- Nice lunch4foodVIPDined on 8/13/2014Nice place to go for lunch. Good variety on the menu but a bit pricey for a lunch salad or entree. Friendly service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst experience ever...bad waiterDonaUVIPDined on 8/9/2014Worse experience ever...the waiter was horrible Orders came wrong for two of us. Had to ask for water and bread...Every time at least 4 times before it was serviced. Food was good when it finally came out right... Would think before suggesting to friends or going again.
- Always a great timeKevinfxstDined on 8/1/2014Service was the best! Food and wine are top notch. Very good views and excellent parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprised!CurliDined on 7/26/2014Prices have really gone up since the last time we were there. The food was good but not good enough for what was charged.Special Features:
- Nice surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/9/2014We are locals who just now made it to the Hilltop. Food was great, menu was fresh and diverse, view was stunning, and the service was attentive. The dining room can be noisy so don't expect quiet conversation. Otherwise, this spot is a Novato gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CelebrationDelandDenDined on 7/9/2014An anniversary celebration for my wife and me. First time to Hilltop 1892. Service was outstanding, food was delicious, and view was terrific. I notified them ahead of time that this was a celebration and we got a great table for 2 at the window. Then, at the end they brought us a tiny bag of chocolates with a handwritten card congratulating us on the anniversary. How nice...how classy! We'll come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy CoupleRedWhiteandBlueDined on 6/21/2014Very nice place to relax and enjoy a great meal. The staff went out of there way to make our visit special. The menu had a great selection. The cons are with so many items to select from, it is hard to choose.Special Features:
- knittersDined on 6/20/2014Two couples wanted a special place to take our friend to celebrate her 80th birthday. When making my reservation through Open Table I wrote why we were coming to the Hilltop 1892 restaurant and could they do anything for our friend. Just before leaving for the restaurant I received a call from the manager and he suggested several things he could do for our friend and I selected one of them. This is a restaurant that cares about their customers and wants us to return and we all said we would come back. Thank you for making us feel so welcomed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/18/2014The salmon and calamari appetizers were great. The filet mignon was the best piece of meat I had eaten. Great job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UggggrrRobichauxDined on 6/15/2014Great view, the combination of poor food and higher than average prices left me feeling like a rube.
- Good food spotty serviceStormyDined on 6/15/2014Took my Dad out for Father's Day Brunch with a party of 5. They sat us immediately although we were a half an hour early which was nice. The waiter was pleasant, but hard to find on occasion. It took a very long time to be served, but we had a nice visit in a lovely environment.Special Features:
- Perfect in every wayFinelifeDined on 6/7/2014LOVE LOVE LOVE this place. Don't need a special event its great for a "just because" day. The staff is attentive, the food is incredible and the view.... WOWSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs more outside seatingBabooDined on 6/7/2014We had a nice evening at the Hilltop, views and sunset from the location are grand. Food was very good and service good. However, we drove here specifically for the good weather and views, and wanted to dine outside. Unfortunately, there is only a small front deck facing the least attractive way. Inside, the big view windows were kept closed and we did not get the indoor/outdoor experience we expected. We recommend the owner consider another deck looking toward Mt Burdell and the sunset. Or, at least create a more open air section with existing space. This might help also with the noise level - when busy, it was hard to hear conversation.Special Features:
- Good eats in NovatodotdotdotDined on 6/2/2014If you're fortunate in sitting by the window, the scenic view perched high above Novato is lovely. At 1pm, the dining room was full and also there was a private party. Chef Todd Davies has turned this long established restaurant into high-end. The only disappointment was no candle on the dessert for my friend's birthday... which I had indicated when I booked. Overall it was a good luncheon.Special Features:
- Delicious brunch optionsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/1/2014Our group enjoyed a wide variety of dishes from the brunch menu. The Open Face Melt had bacon, avocado and a perfectly cooked egg on top of a crusty piece of sourdough bread. The Lamont Scramble with home fried potatoes was also a hit. For folks who prefer a burger, you have a choice between the Bison Burger served on a toasted bun with crispy sweet potato fries or the House Burger served with the usual toppings and fries. The restaurant was quite busy so our server had to scramble to keep everyone happy and she did a great job. This is our new favorite brunch spot.Special Features:
- RobinJoDined on 5/30/2014too noisy, especially in bar area, not a good place to go when you want to visit with friends, talk business, catch up with your spouse's week. Sound deadening devices aren't all that expensive (used to own restaurant). Good service, very decent food
- foodieVIPDined on 5/25/2014Food & service was good. However, the menu was very limited. Other than that, everything was good. Great bar area for either waiting for your table or just getting together with a group of friends.Special Features:
- Lunch with ViewcaptDined on 5/20/2014Arranged for lunch to meet someone looking to meet Penn State graduates for fund raising. I requested and obtained a view window. The service was great and the food just right for a lunch. I go to the Hilltop often but mostly for dinners. I always recommend it as my first choice for special dining experience in the Novato area.Special Features:
- Birthday CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/16/2014We had a most attentive waiter who was most helpful with menu selection and the wine we brought with us to enjoy! He made sure we had a very special time for our dinner! My halibut was excellent with wonderful tastes as was several of the other meals! At the end a note was handed to the birthday boy with a little taste treat. A nice touch for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favoritesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/15/2014We eat at Hilltop whenever we get a chance. It is a great place to meet up with friends. It is quiet enough to hear each other but still cheery and lively so if we get a little excited, we don't cause attention to ourselves. And the food is terrific with a wide variety.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mothers day brunchbilverdeDined on 5/11/2014we went for Mothers day brunch with 9 in our party including three kids under the age of 12 food was great excellent brunch menu service was outstanding our waiter was very friendly,would go back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top qualityChuckDined on 5/5/2014I have been to Hilltop 1892 many times in the past 4 to 5 years and the quality and service have always been excellent. The current offerings of their new chef are excellent. It is a very good choice for out of town guests whom have never been disappointed, and most very highly pleased. The ambiance is usually excellent with nice views, pleasant decor, good bar, calm noise level. It helps to check and see if they are hosting to a large group as then the bar can become noisy. However, if your own group likes a lively atmosphere then that is a good time to go.Special Features:
- The following 538 reviews are from the HILLTOP 1892 reviews archive.
- Lovely view!KukanaVIPDined on 5/3/2014Very nice upscale restaurant in Novato. What a nice surprise for me and my husband. We enjoyed the steamed mussels and brick chicken! We will go back soon. Nice selection of wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special PlacecereberalDined on 5/2/2014It is a treat to have lunch or dinner at Hilltop. The staff is friendly and helpful, and the service quick without being obtrusive. The food is delicious and plentiful. As for the views, they are spectacular. It is a pleasure to continue returning to this highly satisfying restaurant.Special Features:
- Worth a tripeagleeyeVIPDined on 5/1/2014The remodeled Hilltop is a memorable dining spot. The views are spectacular. The food is very good. In our last visit we had the oyster appetizer, which was very fresh, but not totally cleaned and shucked properly. Other than that the offerings met our expectations. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- celebrate life !foursomeDined on 4/25/2014I have scheduled 3 different celebrations at Hilltop and enjoyed all of them. I especially like the fact that they honor birthdays with a hand written message on a birthday card and a little box of 2 brownies for the birthday person.Special Features:
- Very DisappointingnapafoodieDined on 4/21/2014I had made reservations through Open Table for my sister's birthday lunch. Upon arriving a few minutes early, we were told the dining room was full and were escorted to the bar area. No atmosphere and empty with the exception of one other table. We ordered appetizers and champagne with the thought that we we order more after. The calamari was flavorless and very breaded and the sliders which had been ordered as medium, were well done and dry. Sorry Hilltop, the remodeling did nothing to improve the food. I won't be returning.
- Won't be back.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/20/2014The view and entry are lovely. There was something that just wasn't comfortable about the restaurant. When the dinners arrived, it was a disappointment. 3 of us ordered the exact dinner. One had 3 pieces of fish, two had 1 1/2 pieces. I actually complained and they brought more. I have NEVER done that at a restaurant. We had to ask twice for water and bread. We had 2 people tell us the specials of the day. One of us asked for asparagus instead of the vegetable featured. The waiter came over and said that the chef said that was only if another meal was ordered. It was just about closing time. Really? Restaurant was cold with drafts. The servers were very nice and helpful, it just seemed like the restaurant was a hot mess.
- Easter BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/20/2014This is the second year that we have had easter brunch at the Hilltop.......the waiter was very attentive and although it was easter the service was good......food was very good......and of course the scenery gets five stars......would recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- servicecitygirlDined on 4/20/2014I know it was Easter Sunday, but it took our waitress a VERY Long time to come over to even say HI. We waited a while and then went to the bar to order our cocktails. When she finally came (approx. 13 minutes after we sat down), we told her that we ordered from the bar. She didn't bring us our cocktails, my husband had to bring all three back to the table for us. We didn't have silverware at our table. Then they only gave us some and not everyone's. Also, my son's dish didn't have any devil eggs on it that we needed to ask for. Lastly, we ordered 3 butterscotch puddings for dessert. She came back to let us know that you were all out, it was 12:45PM. We were very happy with the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- epicurean delightdotdotdotDined on 4/19/2014Chef Todd Davies has turned Hilltop 1892 into a *** dining experience in a short time. Kitchen was very accommodating with a gluten-free guest of mine. I ordered the cedar planked salmon served on a bed of butternut squash nuggets. The salmon was cooked to perfection... I only wished the skin was more crisp. The evening was beautiful... along with a window view of Novato.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/18/2014Good food, though nothing outstanding. A bit pricey for quality level. The view is the main draw.Special Features: