850 Lamont Avenue
Novato, CA 94945Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hilltop1892.com/
- Phone: 4158931892x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday 11:30am - 2:00pm
Monday - Thursday 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Friday - Saturday 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday 4:30pm - 9:00pm
Sunday 10:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Todd Davies
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Outdoor cocktail parties, Private Verandas view dining, large cozy booth dining and full property buyouts. We offer flexibility, mouthwatering menu selections, hand crafted cocktails and small production California wine gems.
- Private Party Contact: Erick Hendricks 4158931892x
- Special Events: For Events information and availability at the Hilltop, please call our special events team at 415-893-1892 or fill out the online inquiry here: http://www.hilltop1892.com/private-events/
A word from HILLTOP 1892
A Novato landmark since 1892, the restarurant was completely renovated by owner Erick Hendricks in 2010. Hilltop 1892 carries on decades of tradition by offering quintessential American cuisine and craft cocktails accompanied by panoramic views, friendly service and weekly specials that are sure to enhance the guest’s dining experience. Conveniently located off Highway 101 on top of Hayden Hill, at 850 Lamont Avenue near downtown Novato, Hilltop 1892 is the perfect locale for daily lunch or dinner – innovative menu, deep cocktails, and a 10 mile view.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
HILLTOP 1892 - Best Restaurants in Novato ›
HILLTOP 1892 reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (50)special occasion (32)great for lunch (28)neighborhood gem (26)good for groups (24)fit for foodies (16)great for outdoor dining (14)romantic (11)vibrant bar scene (10)notable wine list (10)kid-friendly (8)great for brunch (7)hot spot (3)late-night find (2)Show More
- Tavern styleMarlouDined on 10/12/2014I like the way most restaurants are getting unstuffy. No more white tablecloths, just good food and service. Hilltop fits this to a T. There were 5 of us for dinner and we liked the meatloaf, the Baja shrimp salad and the braised short ribs. The Trek Chardonnay was also good.Special Features:
- very pleasantDeborahDined on 10/8/2014We went with our 3 year old niece and everyone was so accommodating with her needs. Great food and the child menu was perfect. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/4/2014Our waitperson was a bit casual with us and unfortunately she came to our table first, as we were there first, but then went back out with our drink order and went down the line of tables taking their orders before she left the area - to get our drinks and starter. We were frustrated as she chatted with the other customers and took their orders at a casual pace. Could have been more professional and less familiar with us. Was trying to make jokes and get us to order dessert; stuff like that. Otherwise it was great. We love the location and the food is good; but prefer a different waitperson.Special Features:
- DelightfulDeniseDined on 9/20/2014Our meal was wonderful and the service was excellentSpecial Features:
- Nice but not great.CandybearDined on 9/20/2014The seater was quite nice; our server was nice but we hardly ever saw her. Had to flag someone down to get ice tea refills, to get a take-out box, to get the check. With dessert, we were not asked if we wanted coffee. It was busy, but still..... Food was good, not great. Small basket of bread never refilled. Did not have an appetizer because there wasn't one item that appealed. Old stand-by entrees (like rack of lamb) gone from menu. Overall, quite noisy, and crying toddler through most of dinner put evening on edge.
- Burger is GREATDaveDined on 9/20/2014Had the burger, and it is one of the best I have ever had.Special Features:
- fanastic experience!!!!DonaUVIPDined on 9/18/2014Food and service was terrific!!! So, much better than last experience. What a difference a server makes but the food was always fantastic!!!!
- Still Spotty On Some LevelsLuvPinotDined on 9/13/2014Chef Todd seems to be hitting his stride at Hilltop. His poke appetizer is attractively presented and affords the diner the option of mixing various flavoring ingredients into the dish in the desired quantity. Service can be spotty (e.g., no one ever offered freshly ground pepper after my salad hit the table and it took a while to signal someone), and the otherwise excellent glass of Reata Pinot Noir I ordered arrived at the table between ten and fifteen degrees over the appropriate serving temperature. These are perhaps minor points, but they do detract from the overall dining experience.Special Features:
- Better na Better!!mikeVIPDined on 9/12/2014The menu, wine list, and service keep improving. Combined with the view and ease in parking, this is a great stop for any occasion.Special Features:
- dinnermateDined on 9/12/2014The Hilltop is such a wonderful restaurant! The food is excellent - the menu includes dishes that are prepared in new and different ways. I was there having dinner with a friend and we split a red beet salad as an appetizer. It was delicious! I had never had anything like it before. The menu has a gourmet feeling. The service was excellent. And the views are quite pretty!Special Features:
- Well done!NoCheeseDined on 9/3/2014My friend has a severe food allergy and I have a restricted diet. The waitress and chef accommodated us perfectly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant in NovatoOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/1/2014Our table of 5 had everything from fish and chips to prime rib. Everything was cooked to perfection, but the pork belly appetizer and the barrata with heirloom tomatos were especially good. More importantly, the service was warm and attentive; none of the hauteur sometimes associated with fine dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall good placeB4ConcertDined on 8/30/2014Great place to take out of town guests. Such a beautiful location and a menu that has something for everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday for daughterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014We had a fabulous dinner, and will remember it always, it was great! Everyone had a wonderful time, will go back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but interesting seatingJomccayDined on 8/27/2014Everything was amazing in terms of food and service. My only complaint is that both times I have been here other people were seated right next to us when there were many open tables available. It can make a conversation difficult at times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just off the markDineoutOftenDined on 8/24/2014Keep wanting to like this place so come back for view but always just off the mark on food. Portions big and slopped onto plate. Doesn't make for a fine dining experience.Special Features:
- Always Happy With EverythingAdventuresInDiningDined on 8/22/2014I am always very pleased with everything about the Hilltop 1892. The food is always outstanding. The service is always exceptionally friendly, accommodating to special requests, and attentive. I highly recommend the Hilltop.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuncheatoutoftenDined on 8/18/2014Well redone. Having been to this restaurant a number of times over the last 35 years I find this re incarnation a very well done up grade. The waiter (don't have his name) was just enough attentive. The Buffalo burger was superb, a statement I do not make lightly. I took a friend there for a birthday lunch, a special occasion, and it served me well. I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK for lunchtravelmaxwkDined on 8/15/2014Service was excellent. Lunch for my date and I consisted of 2 salads. Unfortunately, the Reyes Blue cheese on her County Line Harvest baby green salad consisted of a couple of crumbs. Cheese on my Hilltop chopped salad was non-existent in spite of my interest in the manchego cheese. Since we were deep into a conversation, did not make a fuss about it, but we should have. We dined outside; then the food service truck arrived and idled along side the balcony increasing the noise. It was time to go when the yellow jackets showed up...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/13/2014My husband and I went to Hilltop 1892 for our 31st anniversary dinner. Although the room was busy, our waiter was very attendant. We received a window seat as requested. The food was excellent. There were loud diners around us but the view made it worthwhile. At the end of the meal we were given two sweets in a box to go along with a very sweet anniversary card. The waiter said it was from all the wait staff as well as the kitchen workers. Made the evening perfect. We have been going to this restaurant for many years and it was hit and miss but this was definitely a hit. We will return.Special Features:
- Nice lunch4foodVIPDined on 8/13/2014Nice place to go for lunch. Good variety on the menu but a bit pricey for a lunch salad or entree. Friendly service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst experience ever...bad waiterDonaUVIPDined on 8/9/2014Worse experience ever...the waiter was horrible Orders came wrong for two of us. Had to ask for water and bread...Every time at least 4 times before it was serviced. Food was good when it finally came out right... Would think before suggesting to friends or going again.
- Always a great timeKevinfxstDined on 8/1/2014Service was the best! Food and wine are top notch. Very good views and excellent parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprised!CurliDined on 7/26/2014Prices have really gone up since the last time we were there. The food was good but not good enough for what was charged.Special Features:
- Nice surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/9/2014We are locals who just now made it to the Hilltop. Food was great, menu was fresh and diverse, view was stunning, and the service was attentive. The dining room can be noisy so don't expect quiet conversation. Otherwise, this spot is a Novato gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CelebrationDelandDenDined on 7/9/2014An anniversary celebration for my wife and me. First time to Hilltop 1892. Service was outstanding, food was delicious, and view was terrific. I notified them ahead of time that this was a celebration and we got a great table for 2 at the window. Then, at the end they brought us a tiny bag of chocolates with a handwritten card congratulating us on the anniversary. How nice...how classy! We'll come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 555 reviews are from the HILLTOP 1892 reviews archive.
- Happy CoupleRedWhiteandBlueDined on 6/21/2014Very nice place to relax and enjoy a great meal. The staff went out of there way to make our visit special. The menu had a great selection. The cons are with so many items to select from, it is hard to choose.Special Features:
- knittersDined on 6/20/2014Two couples wanted a special place to take our friend to celebrate her 80th birthday. When making my reservation through Open Table I wrote why we were coming to the Hilltop 1892 restaurant and could they do anything for our friend. Just before leaving for the restaurant I received a call from the manager and he suggested several things he could do for our friend and I selected one of them. This is a restaurant that cares about their customers and wants us to return and we all said we would come back. Thank you for making us feel so welcomed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/18/2014The salmon and calamari appetizers were great. The filet mignon was the best piece of meat I had eaten. Great job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UggggrrRobichauxDined on 6/15/2014Great view, the combination of poor food and higher than average prices left me feeling like a rube.
- Good food spotty serviceStormyDined on 6/15/2014Took my Dad out for Father's Day Brunch with a party of 5. They sat us immediately although we were a half an hour early which was nice. The waiter was pleasant, but hard to find on occasion. It took a very long time to be served, but we had a nice visit in a lovely environment.Special Features:
- Perfect in every wayFinelifeDined on 6/7/2014LOVE LOVE LOVE this place. Don't need a special event its great for a "just because" day. The staff is attentive, the food is incredible and the view.... WOWSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs more outside seatingBabooDined on 6/7/2014We had a nice evening at the Hilltop, views and sunset from the location are grand. Food was very good and service good. However, we drove here specifically for the good weather and views, and wanted to dine outside. Unfortunately, there is only a small front deck facing the least attractive way. Inside, the big view windows were kept closed and we did not get the indoor/outdoor experience we expected. We recommend the owner consider another deck looking toward Mt Burdell and the sunset. Or, at least create a more open air section with existing space. This might help also with the noise level - when busy, it was hard to hear conversation.Special Features:
- Good eats in NovatodotdotdotDined on 6/2/2014If you're fortunate in sitting by the window, the scenic view perched high above Novato is lovely. At 1pm, the dining room was full and also there was a private party. Chef Todd Davies has turned this long established restaurant into high-end. The only disappointment was no candle on the dessert for my friend's birthday... which I had indicated when I booked. Overall it was a good luncheon.Special Features:
- Delicious brunch optionsOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/1/2014Our group enjoyed a wide variety of dishes from the brunch menu. The Open Face Melt had bacon, avocado and a perfectly cooked egg on top of a crusty piece of sourdough bread. The Lamont Scramble with home fried potatoes was also a hit. For folks who prefer a burger, you have a choice between the Bison Burger served on a toasted bun with crispy sweet potato fries or the House Burger served with the usual toppings and fries. The restaurant was quite busy so our server had to scramble to keep everyone happy and she did a great job. This is our new favorite brunch spot.Special Features:
- RobinJoDined on 5/30/2014too noisy, especially in bar area, not a good place to go when you want to visit with friends, talk business, catch up with your spouse's week. Sound deadening devices aren't all that expensive (used to own restaurant). Good service, very decent food
- foodieVIPDined on 5/25/2014Food & service was good. However, the menu was very limited. Other than that, everything was good. Great bar area for either waiting for your table or just getting together with a group of friends.Special Features:
- Lunch with ViewcaptDined on 5/20/2014Arranged for lunch to meet someone looking to meet Penn State graduates for fund raising. I requested and obtained a view window. The service was great and the food just right for a lunch. I go to the Hilltop often but mostly for dinners. I always recommend it as my first choice for special dining experience in the Novato area.Special Features:
- Birthday CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/16/2014We had a most attentive waiter who was most helpful with menu selection and the wine we brought with us to enjoy! He made sure we had a very special time for our dinner! My halibut was excellent with wonderful tastes as was several of the other meals! At the end a note was handed to the birthday boy with a little taste treat. A nice touch for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favoritesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/15/2014We eat at Hilltop whenever we get a chance. It is a great place to meet up with friends. It is quiet enough to hear each other but still cheery and lively so if we get a little excited, we don't cause attention to ourselves. And the food is terrific with a wide variety.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.