Hillstone - Embarcadero
1800 Montgomery St
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Hillstone - Embarcadero
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hillstone.com/
- Phone: 4153929280x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch & Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 11:00am - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Anna Garay
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Jazz Nightly.
A word from Hillstone - Embarcadero
Hillstone San Francisco offers a refined casual dining experience in a rich atmosphere. Enjoy our made-from-scratch interpretations of American classics. Join us on the on the Embarcadero just across from Pier 31, where we feature live jazz nightly. Please Note: We ask guests to allow a 15 minute grace period to seat reservations during peak periods. We look forward to welcoming you soon!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Hillstone - Embarcadero reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
great for lunch (15)fit for foodies (14)vibrant bar scene (12)neighborhood gem (11)special occasion (11)romantic (10)great for outdoor dining (9)good for groups (8)kid-friendly (7)scenic view (5)great for brunch (5)hot spot (4)notable wine list (4)late-night find (2)Show More
- JenniferDined on 6/17/2014Not sure why it changed names but it still seems as good as before. The artichoke is still out of this world, but the ribs were a little disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The HillstoneOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/16/2014The Hillstone had a great atmosphere, however the service from my waitress, Kaitlyn, was horrible. Very pushy, disrespectful, and worst of all sour. Having me and my date in and out in 30 mins. When I was trying to go an 8:30 dinner. It just seemed like she wanted to get off her shift.Special Features:
- Nice restaurant, very busyBossyPDined on 6/15/2014Loved the look and the sound of Hillstone, the feel of the chairs (although we loved the ability to move on wheels) was less perfect as we are short people and it seemed like our chins were on the table. Very convenient for shoveling ribs to mouth effectively, they were delicious. The coleslaw was outstanding and the aioli dip for the fries great. The ahi and sides were really excellent. The prime rib was overdone but delicious on day 2 for sandwiches. Our overall experience was good, our only hesitation to a second visit would be how far in advance one needs to plan to get reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT FOODMDanielsDined on 6/15/2014SERVICE, FOOD, EVERYTHING WAS WONDERFUL AND WE LOVE THIS RESTAURANT! GET THE HOT FUDGE SUNDAE AND AND THE PRIME RIB FRENCH DIP - BOTH TO DIE FOR. WE WILL BE EATING THERE AGAIN VERY SOON!Special Features:
- Father's Day lunchFunkydawgDined on 6/15/2014Took my elderly dad and we ate well the focaccia is the best I've had anywhere as are the grilled artichokes cheeseburger was very good but my Hawaiian ribeye was grossly undercooked after I had requested medium they brought it back TWICE and the wait staff seemed to be distracted or rushed it seemed to me they also took my dad's wheelchair away but as we were leaving the wheel chair never reappeared and I had to ask for it..normally I sit at the bar where the service level is much better this visit was disappointing given the significance of the day I did ask to talk with the manager and she offered a gift card which was appropriate but in general I thought the service was inadequate especially for the price of the foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 6/14/2014The kale salad with peanut dressing was excellent. The dressing wasn't cloying or thick. It was very lightly dressed but just enough to give it a great flavor and still let the taste of the kale and greens come through. Had a gigantic portion of prime rib. I could only eat half of it. I went here because I never really eat red meat, especially at home. My body was craving protein and this was the exact thing it needed. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- Great experience!PaulDined on 6/14/2014We have been coming to Hillstone for some time now. We live in San Jose, so every chance we get, we make a trip to Hillstone in The City. The food is always wonderful and the service is excellent. This latest visit, we were celebrating our friend's 63rd birthday. The Server, Liz, was exceptional! She had a great personality, was friendly and very efficient. The food, as usual, was fantastic! We had the oak-grilled artichokes, shrimp cocktail, and "the nice little salad" for appetizers. Main course, the ribs, were perfect! For dessert, we split the ice cream sundae and the brownie and ice cream selection - sublime! Overall, another memorable visit to Hillstone!Special Features:
- Spectacular!SapphireDined on 6/13/2014We arrived almost half an hour early for our reservations, and were seated with no problem. The staff is friendly, energetic, and knowledgeable. The food was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fathers Day DinnerRose13Dined on 6/12/2014I brought my dad here for an early Fathers Day celebration. Food was great. This is my second time dining here and we all enjoyed ourselves very much. Only con was that it was a little too warm in there. The fireplace and open kitchen are excellent to create that nice romantic tone but it was just a tad too warm. I don't remember it being like that last time and we sat right next to the fireplace. This time we were at complete opposite ends of the fireplace and I was sweating! Nonetheless, I will definitely be returning!Special Features:
- Great service and foodSanFranVisitorDined on 6/12/2014We were visiting San Fran and were at Alcatraz and happened to see this place across the street from the ferry. The service was incredible...the staff were incredibly attentive and provided great food recommendations. The food did not disappoint. The ribs were especially delicious...fall off the bone tender.I would recommend this to a friend.
- KandCDined on 6/6/2014Food and service were very good and were happy to substitute blue cheese on the burger. Had to wait for half an hour to be seated which was disappointing since we had made a reservation. I believe it is so that you are made to spend more on drinks at the bar! As locals we will return as it is currently the best restaurant in the neighborhood, but hope to get seated more promptly next time.Special Features:
- Favorite Neighborhood SpotsaffafoodieVIPDined on 6/5/2014I visit Hillstone very frequently. Not only because it is close to my apartment, but because I love the live music, the ambiance, the fireplaces and the free corkage on one special bottle of wine. The food and service is consistently good. If you are coming with one friend and can find a spot at the bar, it is a nice place to have appetizers and drinks. Love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/5/2014We enjoyed a business lunch on the outside patio during the week. We all ordered different salads and each was amazing. The presentation was fantastic for each plate. I had the Ahi tuna salad and it was phenomenal. I order a lot of ahi tuna or salmon salads on the road, and this was a top 3 salad of any place I've been in the states. The server was attentive but not intrusive, which is important when having a business meeting over lunch.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/4/2014Love the ambience but the food was not how it once was, I was not impressed with the menu options or what I ordered.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Excellent FoodSueandtheCityVIPDined on 6/4/2014This restaurant is part of a chain which is very surprising because chains do not generally provide such consistency, particularly with their food. But Hillstone never disappoints, has a consistent menu that varies slightly by season (fresh produce mostly) & provides a lovely atmosphere in which to dine. The staff is attentive, but not overly so. At some of their other locations (Los Altos Grill, for instance), you feel rushed through your dinner and it seems like just about every employee is waiting on you, which can be off-putting and less than relaxing. But at Hillstone, they have mastered the balance between seeing to your dining needs & leaving you alone to enjoy your meal & dining companions. An all around great place for dinner.Special Features:
- Reliable qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/3/2014Hillstone has consistently high quality food, from great burgers to ribs and salads.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingDisappointingDined on 6/2/2014Service was terrible. Server was polite and friendly, but in attentive. They would remove empty glasses from our table but not provide new ones, so two people ate their meAls with no drinks. When food came - nobody came to ask if everything was ok and it wasn't - we sent a steak back twice (first over done and then nearly raw) they did offer to give us the steak for free which was nice considering everyone had finished eating their meals by the time an acceptable steak arrived. Disappointing.
- The following 136 reviews are from the Hillstone - Embarcadero reviews archive.
- Fall off the bone RIBS!lovedatenightsfDined on 5/31/2014We came to Hillstone on a recommendation and it did not disappoint! A friend said it was the BEST ribs he's ever had and we took him on his word! The meat literally fell off the bone! Delicious from beginning to end! To our pleasant surprise, there was a jazz band playing! Service was top notch, food spoke for itself and ambiance topped it off! Great date night!Special Features:
- Excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/31/2014This restaurant in addition to great food and ambience, had an expertly trained staff who executed their performance with grace and dignity!!
- RussellDined on 5/30/2014Very noisy. Hard to have a conversation across the table.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/27/2014We enjoyed our meal. We were seated promptly even though we were 15mins. late for the reservation. We missed the jazz combo though. I was looking forward to hearing them. We'll have to come again soon.Special Features:
- Might of been my last dinner here!FatboyVIPDined on 5/25/2014Been going here once a month for two years. The place has kind of gone down hill as far as the kitchen. As far as the bar and wait staff are great still. The food has been coming out cold or not cooked to order in several times now. The manager was more then nice about it and took care of the bill the first time. We didn't complain the waitress got him to come and ask us what was wrong with our food. This time my food was over cooked asked for rare and received med well. Then they brought me a new cut of meat it was a little less cooked but still over med. Then someone forgot my drink had to as a few times for it. When it showed up it was the wrong drink. They took off the drink and appetizer in the bill.
- Love the jazz!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/25/2014Although not impressed with the focaccia appetizer, our mains were very appetizing. My husband got the Hawaiian rib eye. The marinade was great and the steak itself cooked just right. I got the ahi tuna. It was drizzled with a sauce of Asian flavors and had a nice side salad with greens, avocados and mangos. Our friends got the prime rib and the arctic char. They had no complaints and ate everything off their plates. Their dessert menu isn't impressive so we drove down to Ghiradelli Square for sundaes. I love that this place is casual and not stuffy. The live jazz will definitely bring me back. Service was attentive but not overbearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3GoldengirlsDined on 5/24/2014Best burger I have ever had. Our waitress Megan was fantastic. She allowed us to try several sample of wine, until we got the perfect one, Bello Glos Pinot Noir -Dairyman. I will make Hillstones a monthly trek over the bridge.Special Features:
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/23/2014Great food but portion for ribs seemed much smaller than in the past which is good for the waistline but considering the price, was quite expensive. Had planned on leftovers but there were none to be had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful lunchFrench19Dined on 5/23/2014This was our first visit to this restaurant. We were late for our reservation but we called and the hostess was very gracious which was a good start. Our waitress was personable and gave us great recommendations from start to finish. The margaritas are a house specialty and they were delicious as was the artichoke. We had the grilled halibut special and that was well presented and delicious if a bit basic. The hot fudge sundae was over the top delicious and it was plenty to share.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always awesomeTalisman17Dined on 5/11/2014I love Hillstone. I wasn't aware until recently that this restaurant is affiliated with Rutherford Grill in Napa (Rutherford). Now I don't have to drive all the way to Napa for Smoked Salmon, or the amazing Kale Salad. The last time I was here was for Mother's Day, at my mom's request. She had the Hawaiian Rib-Eye and I ordered the Flying Tuna Platter in addition to the 2 'staples' above. Both were on point like always.Special Features:
- loved it!francescaDined on 5/11/2014The place was so nice, very clean, workers professional, courteaus, seated right away, ambiance was great, location perfect...luv it...will go back.!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014We have gone to Hillstone for special occasions many times, and are never disappointed! The food is wonderful and the service is fantastic! It is always a great spot to frequent.Special Features:
- Tell some friends :)blackalliecatDined on 5/10/2014This restaurant was clean and in a great location. The prime rib was very tender and delicious! I will be back and this restaurant will be highly recommended to my friends ☺Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timer!JetSetEatersVIPDined on 5/9/2014Place was great! Service was awesome! Food was delicious!!!! I had the ribs, fall off the bone melt in your mouth yummy. My guy had the Hawaiian rib eye, the marinade was unbelievable...tender! GET THE ICE CREAM SUNDAE!!! The melted chocolate topping was finder licking amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experienceLionDined on 5/9/2014I took a friend for her Birthday, good food and overall good place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alive!Jet4betDined on 5/9/2014We had to wait a few minutes for our table to be ready, but our friends were a few minutes late anyway. We had a drink while we waited, which passed the time quickly.. After being seated, our service was quick and attentive. Our food was yummy as usual.Special Features:
- Perfect for foodies!LoveadealVIPDined on 5/7/2014I keep telling my foodie friends that Hillstone is my favorite restaurant in sf and they never believed me because it is a chain. After I arranged a birthday party for eight people, they all now agree with me!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for the whole groupOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/5/2014We met for a business lunch, and those with diet restrictions loved it, as well as the guys who wanted a burger. Everyone was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the presentation and outstanding flavor. Our table was ready, no waiting with reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ChainOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/4/2014Good food, excellent burger but the ribs are stellar. Eat at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Split a french dip with a friendSFTonyDined on 5/3/2014We dropped by for a quick lunch, sharing spinach artichoke dip and the french dip. It's familiar food made with uncommon quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost Perfect!binghamtonswatsDined on 5/3/2014We had a minor problem, which was taken care of immediately, and to our satisfaction. The Food was Great! The Service was Outstanding! Will go back when we are in that area of San Francisco.Special Features:
- Best sandwich in townCoffeebossDined on 5/2/2014People often overlook the venerable French Dip. Hillstone reinvigorates it. It's simple and simply well executed. Refreshing especially when you've had enough of the city's over-thought "artisanal" sandwiches of the week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food's good, but ehh...ErickaCDined on 4/29/2014My husband and I had been to this restaurant when it was Houston's and we enjoyed it. The food is good, the service is fine, the ambiance is ok, but there's just nothing that stands out with this restaurant. San Francisco has so many fantastic dining options, this place comes up a bit short. The best area of this restaurant is the bar, but the seating is limited and the outside tables are not served. They have a nice jazz trio playing, but they're set up in the back of the restaurant; they're too loud for the closed-in location. The appetizer selection is a bit limited especially if you're looking for a light nibble. Their ribs are still the best in town and are certainly not light. The ribs are worth every delicious calorie.I would recommend this to a friend.