Hill Country - Flatiron
30 West 26th Street
New York, NY 10010Neighborhood:
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
Hill Country - Flatiron
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hillcountryny.com/
- Phone: 2122554544x10
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm, Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm; Bar open until 2:00am daily
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Elizabeth Karmel
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Hill Country Catering & Events brings the award-winning Hill Country Barbecue Market experience to your backyard. We offer world-class, Texas-style barbecue, Southern hospitality and a signature vintage western aesthetic that is a fun, relaxed and refreshing alternative to run-of-the-mill wedding rehearsal dinners, company picnics, parties and celebrations, from 20 to 2,000. Our eye-popping, custom-made “HC Barbecue Trailer,” a mobile barbecue pit complete with a sound system playing Hill Country’s signature Austin-inspired soundtrack, brings freshly smoked barbecue straight to your door.
- Private Party Facilities: Laura Cady
- Private Party Contact: Lanier Brooks 2122554544x13
- Entertainment: Live Music Nightly celebrating the Austin Scene - Rock, Blues and Country. Live Music Karaoke Tuesday Nights.
- Special Events: Check out our Recession Specials! All You Can Eat Mondays! Two for Tuesdays featuring Live Music Karaoke and 2 for 1 Specialty Cocktails and Pit-Smoked Whole Hog! Ladies' Night Drink Specials Thursdays! Feed Yer Family Discounts on Sundays!!
A word from Hill Country - Flatiron
Named "Best Barbecue in NY" by both New York Magazine and Time Out New York, "Top 10 Barbecue in the U.S." by the Wall Street Journal and "Best New Restaurants of the Year" by New York Magazine, Hill Country takes its "cue" from legendary Texas barbecue joint Kreuz Market and its distinctive dry-rub style. Hill Country's brisket, sausage, ribs and other meats are smoked low and slow over Texas post oak. The barbecue is served in butcher paper, counter-style by the pound, with traditional trimmings. Hill Country features two full bars with an extensive menu of long neck beers, tequila and bourbon, and a state-of-the-art sound system and stage for live music celebrating the thriving Austin music scene. Signature versions of classic southern sides and sweets include Longhorn Cheddar Mac & Cheese, Campfire Baked Beans with Burnt Ends, and the Original PB&J Cupcake. A marketplace full of Lone Star State favorites includes: Big Red Soda, Blue Bell Ice Cream, Kreuz Market Sausages.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBarbecue
Hill Country - Flatiron - Best Restaurants in Chelsea ›
Hill Country - Flatiron reviews from OpenTable diners
139 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (101)kid-friendly (47)fit for foodies (47)great for lunch (42)neighborhood gem (34)hot spot (27)special occasion (17)vibrant bar scene (15)late-night find (10)great for brunch (5)great for outdoor dining (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- Enjoy one of NYC's best Texas BBQs!NYCGourmandVIPDined on 8/26/2014You just can't go wrong once you learn how to order: FORGET that you are charged by the pound, order by the slice or piece, i.e. "4 ribs" or "one pork chop" or "a half-inch slice of prime rib" or "1/4 or 1/2 a chicken, dark meat"...just like you normally would. It will be weighed and you will go back to your table with exquisitely prepared BBQ/pit-smoked for over 24 hours meat. They have fantastic beef and pork ribs, roast beef (known as beef shoulder), prime rib, pork chops, pork belly (some nights), chicken: whole or part, chicken wings (some nights), mild and spicy home-made sausages. Their turkey was a HUGE hit with our crowd. Who knew pit-prepared turkey could taste this incredible? Incredible vegetable sides and amazing desserts.Special Features:
- HorribleOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/23/2014Food was disgusting. Everything was over cooked and had no taste. There where 4 of us and we all hated it!!
- The Brisket! The Moist Brisket!RIRIDined on 8/23/2014A Texas barbecue-lover's dream come true. Not fancy, a little loud, moist brisket worth traveling for.Special Features:
- No errors on your order here!AleedaDined on 8/22/2014The ticket system is a great way to get your food to you quickly and without errors. They have a wide variety of foods, so that even a vegetarian would be able to enjoy a meal at this BBQ joint. Our service was excellent, but our table was placed in an awkward spot and my friend and I kept getting jostled by waiters and other diners.Special Features:
- FOODROCKSFOODROCKSDined on 8/21/2014Nothing fancy - just good ole smoked meat! Also a bit pricey as everything is weighed (I paid $8.00 for one rib) but overall a good neighborhood find and great place to get together with a group of friends.Special Features:
- Great BBQ Placedowens64Dined on 8/14/2014If you are looking for real authentic Texas BBQ this is the place. But, be careful, your eyes will be bigger than your stomach! Ample portions and a great selection of Bourbons and Whisky! Highly recommend!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buena carneElmarquesdrelavernedaDined on 8/11/2014Probamos el menú que ofrecen y disfrutmaos mucho de todos los cortes de carne probados, excepto de la costilla de ternera que pedimos al margen del menú. La ofrecian como SPECIAL y no nos gustó nada. Las guarniciones, unos macarrones con queso y unas judias con cebolla frita, excelentes tambien. Muy recomendableSpecial Features:
- NYSuzyDined on 8/11/2014We took 2 young friends from France to experience some real AMERICAN style food. They loved it!!!! Especially the fact that they could pick up the ribs and eat with their hands. :) The experience was fun, food was great, wait staff was friendly and the employees working behind the food stations were more then helpful when explaining about the different types of meats, sides and how too order according to your likes. The desserts were also delicious with plenty of choices. The chocolate chip cookie was monsterous. The decor went perfectly with the smokehouse theme. Natural wood walls, chairs, tables, papertowels for napkins and an open air feel.Special Features:
- best BBQ in NYCAggieDined on 8/10/2014We love this taste of home! Great Texas BBQ with wonderful Texas Caviar. The best sausage from LockhartSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/8/2014NY branch not as good as DC branch. Better seating perhaps, but brisket, collard greens not as good as DC
- Super good foodNYCLOVeDined on 8/5/2014Great place for groups. BBQ to die for. Place is fun and original.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best BBQ!!Purplerose77Dined on 8/4/2014Hands down the best BBQ I've had (in NY). I went with a friend for the all you can eat special, the portion were so big we never made it back for seconds. If you're as big a fan of brisket as I am, Hill Country will not disappoint. Their food, including sides, is packed filled with flavor, not salt. Definitely not a place for extended conversation as it's quite noisy. Looking forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing mealluv2eatDined on 8/4/2014I've eaten at Hill Country several times and this is the first time I've been disappointed. The meat was underseasoned and too fatty. Half of my brisket was fat and gristle. The service was very good and the wait staff friendly and accommodating. I may go back with kids because they mostly eat the sides and not meat, but I couldn't recommend it to a friend.Special Features:
- More BBQ peasMissEtheFoodiEDined on 7/26/2014I love it all across the board. I never liked brisket until I had their Moist Brisket (don't forget to add the BBQ sauce). The staff is great and the food is even better. Only comment that I have against the restaurant is the amount of space you have between your party and the table next to you. It can get a little tight, but after awhile you won't even notice it. Try it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BBQBTHSDined on 7/23/2014Best authentic Texas BBQ thus side of Dallas. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need platesmsfoodDined on 7/23/2014Food was good but it would not be the worst thing if they had plates.Special Features:
- Best BBQ in New York CityOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/19/2014You have to love this place. In fact, I am not sure we can be friends if you do not like this place. I am not from the South but I have many friends who are and they all claim this place is "legit" and they are correct. This is definitely for the authentic BBQ lovers. You eat off a tray and you wait in line for your meat. Which you buy by weight. If that sounds cool to you, then pull up a chair and have loads of fun. If not, then New York has plenty of hipster bars that can sell you an overpriced kale salad.Special Features:
- Awesome experience!SourpatchDined on 7/19/2014Some of the most delicious BBQ I have ever tasted. The brisket was melt in your mouth! The whole concept was something I have never experienced. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Texas Style BBQOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/17/2014Market style Texas BBQ at its best. The dessert are amazing too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bar-Bahhhh-QSoutherngirlDined on 7/14/2014Super yummy! The meat was amazing, the sides were ok (mac wasn't hot enough n a bit bland, beans were nothing special)... Fun concept and they keep it all about the meat so I left full and happy!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best BBQ north of Red RiverAggieDined on 7/13/2014Awesome Texas BBQ! Best in the city! Have the Caviar (Black-eyed Peas)Special Features:
- Love this placeMelKDined on 7/9/2014I'm originally from Texas so I love that the brisket is legit here and that they serve Blue Bell ice cream! I come here several times a year, but specifically on my birthday each year. It's always consistent and delicious!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/7/2014The food was very good. I wish there were more meat options to chose from in the unlimited meal option. There were a lot of sides to eat and the servings were a lot for our group. The hostess however was so obtuse. She couldn't find my reservation as we were there for a surprise dinner. She then realized that the party was already there and decided to point to a table ultimately ruining the whole thing.Special Features:
- Aggressively RudeBrooklynTexanDined on 7/5/2014We made a reservation for six, at 4pm on a holiday weekend. The restaurant was not busy. We were walked through the empty restaurant to be seated at the very back table, against the wall, next to the bathroom. The waiter, whose only real purpose there is to keep glasses full, rolled his eyes when asked to refill empty iced tea glasses. The food is always very good, but the service was aggressively rude at this visit.Special Features:
- ReviewfromOct192013VIPDined on 7/3/2014The staff was very accommodating when my sister-in-law and kids were half an hour late. Although it was fairly crowded, the lines moved quickly. The moist brisket (always a favorite) and the short ribs were fantastic. The pork ribs and sausage were good as well. WE love the bourbon mashed sweet potatoes and the corn pudding, and they did not disappoint us.Special Features:
- Best NYC BarbecueFaithNYCDined on 7/3/2014We always love Hill Country. It's the closest barbecue we can find in NYC that compares to the midwest and south. Service was much better this time around. The moist brisket is delicious. The green bean casserole, deviled eggs, chili and bourbon sweet potato mash were all wonderful as usual. We love that you can get exactly how much you want of everything and don't have to be forced to eat a big entree. You can have mostly sides, mostly meat, a mix of the two. It's great having a choice!! Thanks again for a delicious dinner.Special Features:
- MarianneDined on 7/3/2014Had a great lunch with a friend. Good food, good friends - perfect.Special Features:
- Carne eccellente, locale originaleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014Il locale è caratteristico, in stile americano. Originale il sistema di scelta al banco della carne, che è di ottima qualità e ben cotta. Sicuramente un BBQ da provareSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You'll think you are in Texas90thandKOVIPDined on 6/22/2014I brought a well traveled friend with me to Hill Country for dinner. She picked BBQ because she thought it was an odd thing to have in NYC. She had brisket and sausage and mac and cheese. She said the brisket was better than some she had in Texas. She loved it. I tried the turkey this visit. It comes in slices and it was moist with a nice smoky flavor. To me it doesn't compete with the brisket, I always get the lean brisket and it is so tender and well seasoned. I usually get a cheddar and jalapeno sausage with my brisket, but I was trying to be a bit healthy. Next time it may just be an all brisket meal! The bourbon sweet potato mash is a great side. Almost like dessert with all of the butter and bourbon that must be in the dish.Special Features:
- DisgustingLuv2shopVIPDined on 6/21/2014Save your money. Worst BBQ ever. Beef ribs had no meat, all bone. Sausage was inedible. Still don't know what was in it. Mealy texture, mystery meat ...had to send back thought if it was actually cooked it would b better. It wasn't. Brisket was all fat. Save your money. Been to many BBQ places this should be closed down. Four people came to almost $200.00. We walked away disgusted.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/15/2014Best Texas-style pork ribs outside of Texas, hands down.
- Fun and GoodPPattySmithDined on 6/14/2014This restaurant has great meat and rich sides. It's a fun place to go with a group. Conversation is limited due to the noise but the noise is part of the ambiance.Special Features:
- Great BBQAggieDined on 6/14/2014So happy to find REAL Texas BBQ. The sausage was just like home! We'll be back often!Special Features:
- Great brisketFoodiewholovesmeat1234Dined on 6/12/2014A coworker recommended the moist brisket and it did not disappoint. Not a big fan of the self service but the food is good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BBQYyyyyyyyyyyyDined on 6/11/2014Great food service was excellent will return. Price value good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/6/2014I was a bit disappointed after all the hype about this place. I ordered the short ribs, mac and cheese and corn pudding. The short ribs had so much fat and the meat was so tough, I couldn't eat it and the mac and cheese was mediocre. I liked the corn pudding and the rhubarb and strawberry crisp. I left there with quite the stomach ache. Although it was a cute experience and the staff was super friendly, I doubt I'll try it again.Special Features:
- njfubarVIPDined on 6/4/2014The best Texas style BBQ I've ever had and that includes restaurants in Texas itself. Can't say enough good things about the burnt ends and brisket regular or moist, although I do prefer the moist.Special Features:
- NYC BBQADN1VIPDined on 6/2/2014The BBQ here is top notch and worthy of the trip to the restaurant. The Monday special of All you can eat is fantastic, but all the items on the menu are worth a try. This is easily one of the Best BBQ places in the City!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BBQBunnyDined on 5/31/2014Hill Country is great for BBQ. The spare ribs, brisket and all the sides were just delicious. It is a cafeteria style restaurant which is very busy on a Saturday night - so long lines for food. The ambience is very rustic but fun. Highly recommended for the food!Special Features:
- smoke-outroodelooDined on 5/25/2014My experience didn't live up to the Hill Country hype. Even with a reservation, you still have to wait in an interminable line to get your food, which is whimsically wrapped in butcher paper. But if you order on the modest size and want to go back for seconds its likely you'll be way from your dining guests for an additional 15 minutes. "Most brisket" was essentially slabs of fat, while spareribs were declared "tough and chewy" by everyone at the table. The turkey and sweet potato side were the hits of the evening, along with the bbq sauce available table side.