Hill Country - Flatiron
30 West 26th Street
New York, NY 10010Neighborhood:
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
Hill Country - Flatiron
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hillcountryny.com/
- Phone: 2122554544x10
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm, Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm; Bar open until 2:00am daily
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Elizabeth Karmel
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Hill Country Catering & Events brings the award-winning Hill Country Barbecue Market experience to your backyard. We offer world-class, Texas-style barbecue, Southern hospitality and a signature vintage western aesthetic that is a fun, relaxed and refreshing alternative to run-of-the-mill wedding rehearsal dinners, company picnics, parties and celebrations, from 20 to 2,000. Our eye-popping, custom-made “HC Barbecue Trailer,” a mobile barbecue pit complete with a sound system playing Hill Country’s signature Austin-inspired soundtrack, brings freshly smoked barbecue straight to your door.
- Private Party Facilities: Laura Cady
- Private Party Contact: Lanier Brooks 2122554544x13
- Entertainment: Live Music Nightly celebrating the Austin Scene - Rock, Blues and Country. Live Music Karaoke Tuesday Nights.
- Special Events: Check out our Recession Specials! All You Can Eat Mondays! Two for Tuesdays featuring Live Music Karaoke and 2 for 1 Specialty Cocktails and Pit-Smoked Whole Hog! Ladies' Night Drink Specials Thursdays! Feed Yer Family Discounts on Sundays!!
A word from Hill Country - Flatiron
Named "Best Barbecue in NY" by both New York Magazine and Time Out New York, "Top 10 Barbecue in the U.S." by the Wall Street Journal and "Best New Restaurants of the Year" by New York Magazine, Hill Country takes its "cue" from legendary Texas barbecue joint Kreuz Market and its distinctive dry-rub style. Hill Country's brisket, sausage, ribs and other meats are smoked low and slow over Texas post oak. The barbecue is served in butcher paper, counter-style by the pound, with traditional trimmings. Hill Country features two full bars with an extensive menu of long neck beers, tequila and bourbon, and a state-of-the-art sound system and stage for live music celebrating the thriving Austin music scene. Signature versions of classic southern sides and sweets include Longhorn Cheddar Mac & Cheese, Campfire Baked Beans with Burnt Ends, and the Original PB&J Cupcake. A marketplace full of Lone Star State favorites includes: Big Red Soda, Blue Bell Ice Cream, Kreuz Market Sausages.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBarbecue
Hill Country - Flatiron - Best Restaurants in Chelsea ›
Hill Country - Flatiron reviews from OpenTable diners
133 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (98)kid-friendly (47)fit for foodies (46)great for lunch (33)neighborhood gem (33)hot spot (26)special occasion (16)vibrant bar scene (14)late-night find (13)great for brunch (4)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- great music!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014Went to HCBBQ for the first time. The staff was not very helpful in explaining the rather odd way we retrieved our food. I did not like purchasing large portions of food and taking one bite to find out it was not the best. The live music was amazing, well worth any other inconveniences.Special Features:
- Best BBQ in NYCSaraVIPDined on 10/14/2014I've tried many, several, most of the BBQ joints in NYC and I keep coming back to Hill Country. From the moment the smoky goodness hits your senses at the front door to the finger licking good end - this is a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodChrisDined on 10/11/2014Fun, relaxed atmosphere. Everyone who works there is very nice. The concept is unique and a fun way to eat. You go up to a large carving station and select your meat choices ( chicken, ribs, brisket, etc,) and then slide over to another station where you choose your sides ( sweet potato mash, beans, mac n cheese, etc ) and then go back to your table and dig in. I have been here before and I feel that the ribs and brisket should be of a higher quality. If you are a barbeque joint then everything should be awesome. We found some of the beef and pork ribs to be just ok with a bit too much fat.Special Features:
- Meat HeavenBlandVIPDined on 10/3/2014Great place for ribs, brisket and dessert...that's it. The sides were lame and the coffee so-so. The prices were a bit much as well....they should have daily specials and drop the price of all their meats. The desserts were awesome and the service was very good...but redo the sides and improve your coffee kidzz!Special Features:
- Kudos from Texas BBQ fansAmycDined on 9/27/2014We lived in Austin for 15 years and have made many many pilgrimages to Lockhart over the years. We live in CT now and Hill Country inNYC is the real deal!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Underwhelmed and overchargedFood4thoughtDined on 9/22/2014The smoked meats which are sold by the pound, were expensive but quite good. Unfortunately the sides,which are overpriced and,sold separately, blew. The Mac and cheese was cold(we were there at the start of dinner hour), sweet potato purée was vile, and coleslaw bland. We were among two other diners there and the restaurant reported that we failed to keep our reservation. Not a fan.
- Birthday BBQSGJ1Dined on 9/19/2014I took a friend for her birthday - she was missing her college Texas days. She loved the place. Food was great, staff added fun. We went early on a Friday so crowd wasn't bad yet. nicer that way!Special Features:
- As close to TX as we've been in NYCDougDined on 9/18/2014The food was authentic and moderately priced. The Shiner was great. And the staff was attentive and friendly. My only regret was choosing the moist brisket. It was very good, but the dry brisket is likely closer to true Texas BBQ. But that gives me a reason to return.Special Features:
- Not good for groups pay indivuallyrabbitDined on 9/17/2014Hill country no longer lets individuals in a group pay separately. So unless your planning on splitting the bill evenly or have one person pay calculating the bill is very difficult. Still great food and great place.I would recommend this to a friend.
- What's not to love?OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/15/2014My only wish is that they did all you can eat every Monday, not just t be first of the month. Also, very happy Flatiron now has turkey lime BK.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is amazingblossomsDined on 9/12/2014Always my go-to when I want some good BBQ - especially the short ribs!! Prices are a bit on the high side, but worth the occasional splurge as a treat, especially with a group of friends.Special Features:
- Great Place!!!BirthdayGirlDined on 9/12/2014I celebrated my birthday on 9/12/2014 and had the best time with my girlfriends. The food was amazing and the staff was friendly! I would highly recommend this place to everyone!! I enjoyed the relaxed feel of the restaurant. I will definitely return to try more of their dishes. The lean brisket and ribs were delicious!!! Everyone loved the desserts!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of BBQ in NYCtomnowVIPDined on 9/11/2014This is the best of casual BBQ in NYC. The fact is if you like the more formal side of a Blue Smoke than this may not be your choice but if you want the best ribs, then you must try HC. The mac and cheese, ribs, burnt ends and to top it off try the chocolate pudding for dessert. The fun of going to the counter and choosing your selections and bringing it back to the table just makes it so much more authentic. And now, you can close your bill right at the table and not have to wait at the register! Can't wait to go back next week with some more friends and show them the HC way!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- crippynycVIPDined on 9/9/2014Although the food is quite authentic and delicious, and the bartender (we ate at the bar) was exceptionally friendly and helpful, the drinks we ordered were incredibly weak. Perhaps this is a beer, rather than margarita, joint. Overall, delicious but not a very good value due to the issue with the weak drinks.Special Features:
- OK barbarcue, expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/8/2014Rib where not that great and expensive even for NYFitSpecial Features:
- Almost Perfect for Large GroupNYerInTheBurbsDined on 9/7/2014I chose Hill Country because I had heard good things... and it was good: food, casual atmosphere, unique food. I had expected "separate checks" based upon info on the website but was told that for large parties, they collect your "tickets" and give one bill. It worked out okay but wasn't what I had expected. Food is sold by the pound, something else I didn't know in advance. Overall excellent service and unique atmosphere. Definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Great food & drink and a fun placeNYCGourmandVIPDined on 9/2/2014Hill Country is a little bit, make that a big bit of Austin, Texas pit barbecue in the middle of Gotham. The surprise here is the prime rib, the pork chops and the turkey in a place that most people just associate with succulent pork and beef ribs, Kreuz sausages and Texas-size special drinks. The pork belly is to die for. And Tuesday nights, is the real thing: a 200 lb. smoked pit barbecued pig with the meat pulled right out of the beast (not to worry, all the innards are long gone) for some of the freshest, tastiest fresh pulled pork in a 100-mile radius. A self-serve place, just order by how many pieces, ribs or slices of meat you want; let them worry about the actual weight. It's all served on paper and saves the environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy BBQFaithNYCDined on 8/30/2014The food is always good. The closest BBQ I've found to Texas. My favorites here include the brisket (I get the moist), green bean casserole, sweet potato mash, deviled eggs and the collard greens. The corn bread is also good. You won't be disappointed. I never am =)Special Features:
- Good to averageOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014The choice of BBQ meats was pretty limited, which was disappointing. The quality of the meats was good but not mind blowing. Choices of sides was good and fairly eztensive. All the sides tasted great. All in all I thing average to good sums it up.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014The flavours of the meat and side dishes served at Hill Country are amazing! You have to line up for them to serve you meat and side dishes- but the staff were great. There was a bit of a wait to get the food- but it was well worth it!Special Features:
- Was not impressed.LESismoreDined on 8/28/2014Gothamist listed this as one of the Top 10 BBQ spots in NYC..."Not!" Other blogs said it was kid friendly-wrong again. The only thing kid friendly about the place is that it’s noisy, menu is limited to only the adult fare unless the Mac & Cheese is the kid friendly portion of the menu. They need to train their staff on the serving line not to paw the food-I know they're trying to front this devil may care attitude when serving-part of their shtick, but walking back and forth from the carving station with dripping meat is a little too much shtick. The brisket has an overbearing smoky bitter taste, the pork ribs were way too fatty-only the BBQ sauce made it palatable. Been to St. Louis MO, Dinosaur & Mighty Quinn's in NYC - I know good BBQ.
- Enjoy one of NYC's best Texas BBQs!NYCGourmandVIPDined on 8/26/2014You just can't go wrong once you learn how to order: FORGET that you are charged by the pound, order by the slice or piece, i.e. "4 ribs" or "one pork chop" or "a half-inch slice of prime rib" or "1/4 or 1/2 a chicken, dark meat"...just like you normally would. It will be weighed and you will go back to your table with exquisitely prepared BBQ/pit-smoked for over 24 hours meat. They have fantastic beef and pork ribs, roast beef (known as beef shoulder), prime rib, pork chops, pork belly (some nights), chicken: whole or part, chicken wings (some nights), mild and spicy home-made sausages. Their turkey was a HUGE hit with our crowd. Who knew pit-prepared turkey could taste this incredible? Incredible vegetable sides and amazing desserts.Special Features:
- HorribleIknowgoodfoodVIPDined on 8/23/2014Food was disgusting. Everything was over cooked and had no taste. There where 4 of us and we all hated it!!
- The Brisket! The Moist Brisket!RIRIDined on 8/23/2014A Texas barbecue-lover's dream come true. Not fancy, a little loud, moist brisket worth traveling for.Special Features:
- No errors on your order here!AleedaDined on 8/22/2014The ticket system is a great way to get your food to you quickly and without errors. They have a wide variety of foods, so that even a vegetarian would be able to enjoy a meal at this BBQ joint. Our service was excellent, but our table was placed in an awkward spot and my friend and I kept getting jostled by waiters and other diners.Special Features:
- FOODROCKSFOODROCKSDined on 8/21/2014Nothing fancy - just good ole smoked meat! Also a bit pricey as everything is weighed (I paid $8.00 for one rib) but overall a good neighborhood find and great place to get together with a group of friends.Special Features:
- Great BBQ Placedowens64Dined on 8/14/2014If you are looking for real authentic Texas BBQ this is the place. But, be careful, your eyes will be bigger than your stomach! Ample portions and a great selection of Bourbons and Whisky! Highly recommend!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buena carneElmarquesdrelavernedaDined on 8/11/2014Probamos el menú que ofrecen y disfrutmaos mucho de todos los cortes de carne probados, excepto de la costilla de ternera que pedimos al margen del menú. La ofrecian como SPECIAL y no nos gustó nada. Las guarniciones, unos macarrones con queso y unas judias con cebolla frita, excelentes tambien. Muy recomendableSpecial Features:
- NYSuzyDined on 8/11/2014We took 2 young friends from France to experience some real AMERICAN style food. They loved it!!!! Especially the fact that they could pick up the ribs and eat with their hands. :) The experience was fun, food was great, wait staff was friendly and the employees working behind the food stations were more then helpful when explaining about the different types of meats, sides and how too order according to your likes. The desserts were also delicious with plenty of choices. The chocolate chip cookie was monsterous. The decor went perfectly with the smokehouse theme. Natural wood walls, chairs, tables, papertowels for napkins and an open air feel.Special Features:
- best BBQ in NYCAggieDined on 8/10/2014We love this taste of home! Great Texas BBQ with wonderful Texas Caviar. The best sausage from LockhartSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/8/2014NY branch not as good as DC branch. Better seating perhaps, but brisket, collard greens not as good as DC
- Super good foodNYCLOVeDined on 8/5/2014Great place for groups. BBQ to die for. Place is fun and original.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best BBQ!!Purplerose77Dined on 8/4/2014Hands down the best BBQ I've had (in NY). I went with a friend for the all you can eat special, the portion were so big we never made it back for seconds. If you're as big a fan of brisket as I am, Hill Country will not disappoint. Their food, including sides, is packed filled with flavor, not salt. Definitely not a place for extended conversation as it's quite noisy. Looking forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing mealluv2eatDined on 8/4/2014I've eaten at Hill Country several times and this is the first time I've been disappointed. The meat was underseasoned and too fatty. Half of my brisket was fat and gristle. The service was very good and the wait staff friendly and accommodating. I may go back with kids because they mostly eat the sides and not meat, but I couldn't recommend it to a friend.Special Features:
- More BBQ peasMissEtheFoodiEDined on 7/26/2014I love it all across the board. I never liked brisket until I had their Moist Brisket (don't forget to add the BBQ sauce). The staff is great and the food is even better. Only comment that I have against the restaurant is the amount of space you have between your party and the table next to you. It can get a little tight, but after awhile you won't even notice it. Try it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BBQBTHSDined on 7/23/2014Best authentic Texas BBQ thus side of Dallas. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need platesmsfoodDined on 7/23/2014Food was good but it would not be the worst thing if they had plates.Special Features:
- Best BBQ in New York CityOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/19/2014You have to love this place. In fact, I am not sure we can be friends if you do not like this place. I am not from the South but I have many friends who are and they all claim this place is "legit" and they are correct. This is definitely for the authentic BBQ lovers. You eat off a tray and you wait in line for your meat. Which you buy by weight. If that sounds cool to you, then pull up a chair and have loads of fun. If not, then New York has plenty of hipster bars that can sell you an overpriced kale salad.Special Features:
- Awesome experience!SourpatchDined on 7/19/2014Some of the most delicious BBQ I have ever tasted. The brisket was melt in your mouth! The whole concept was something I have never experienced. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Texas Style BBQOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/17/2014Market style Texas BBQ at its best. The dessert are amazing too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.