Hill Country - Brooklyn
345 Adams Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201Neighborhood:
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
Hill Country - Brooklyn
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://www.hillcountrybk.com/
- Phone: 7188854608
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 11:30am - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Elizabeth Karmel
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from Hill Country - Brooklyn
Named "Best Barbecue in NY" by both New York Magazine and Time Out New York, "Top 10 Barbecue in the U.S." by the Wall Street Journal and "Best New Restaurants of the Year" by New York Magazine, Hill Country takes its "cue" from legendary Texas barbecue joint Kreuz Market and its distinctive dry-rub style. Hill Country's brisket, sausage, ribs and other meats are smoked low and slow over Texas post oak. The barbecue is served in butcher paper, counter-style by the pound, with traditional trimmings. Hill Country features two full bars with an extensive menu of long neck beers, tequila and bourbon, and a state-of-the-art sound system and stage for live music celebrating the thriving Austin music scene. Signature versions of classic southern sides and sweets include Longhorn Cheddar Mac & Cheese, Campfire Baked Beans with Burnt Ends, and the Original PB&J Cupcake. A marketplace full of Lone Star State favorites includes: Big Red Soda, Blue Bell Ice Cream, Kreuz Market Sausages.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Hill Country - Brooklyn - Best Restaurants in Downtown Brooklyn ›
Hill Country - Brooklyn reviews from OpenTable diners
28 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (21)kid-friendly (13)neighborhood gem (12)great for lunch (11)fit for foodies (8)vibrant bar scene (6)great for outdoor dining (5)hot spot (5)great for brunch (4)special occasion (3)late-night find (2)Show More
- Great ServiceFoodFanDined on 9/13/2014Although the food wasn't anything to rave about, I do have to say the service was outstanding. However, it was a Saturday night and it wasn't pack at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location & open areaShushkaVIPDined on 8/24/2014This place is right off the subway line. It has outdoor seating as well as two floors inside. We were there with friends and their toddler. They had high chairs and storage for strollers. We had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I rather have my own bbq at homeneveragain1Dined on 8/24/2014There was nothing special about this place. The food is sub par, it was so salty and felt like fast food restaurant quality. The servers were just whatever about it and It was not even close to a good dining experience.
- Off Night at Hill CountryRyanTVDined on 8/23/2014Typically, Hill Country has some of the best BBQ of anywhere you could go. I normally get the lean brisket, corn pudding, mac & cheese and a banana pudding for dessert. The sides and dessert were excellent but the brisket left a lot to be desired. It did have a rich, smokey flavor, but it was INCREDIBLY chewy and full of connective tissue which just isn't the norm. It also had quite a fatty layer on it which normally isn't present in HC's lean brisket. This definitely isn't the norm at HC. Typically everything is top notch. Other than that, the service was fine. I don't really understand the need for servers at the restaurant. You go up and get your own food - I'm pretty sure I could go to the bar to get a drink as well.
- Great neighborhood addition!Luv2DineDined on 7/30/2014Perfect spot for a last minute after work get-together. This was my first visit and I can definitely say that I'll be back!!Special Features:
- Southern kindnessTarrahLynDined on 7/9/2014We walked into hill country "chicken" before noticing that my reservation had to have been made somewhere else (it can't be!). Sure enough with just the turn of the corner, hill country "barbecue" was there, with nice outdoor seating - benches with string lights - and a hostess (now, reservations made sense). We were seated and explained to how the ordering worked. Basically, you get your own meat and sides and the waiter will bring over your drinks and desserts as you order them. While the food was outstanding, the service was even better. Once I slipped that it was my boyfriend's birthday, his strawberry short cake came with a single candle and we got 10% our total bill - with a "happy birthday" note. So sweet. Genuine kindness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent find on a wet dayOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/4/2014In Brooklyn for the fireworks on the 4th. Cold and rainy day we were looking for a place to dry off and grab some grub. What a find! Great atmosphere to go along with some of the best BQ you will find in the NYC area.Special Features:
- Solid Jointhf995VIPDined on 7/4/2014Lunch specials are a solid deal. Best was to enjoy the food without breaking the bank.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try at least once....MCallNYDined on 6/30/2014A group of four of us had dinner here recently and was pleasantly surprised. We opted for the all you can eat menu, which really was all you can eat, with a few additions. If you can get past the gigantic portion sizes, and survive what the waitress referred to as 'round one', you're in good shape. The ribs were flavorful, brisket quite tender, and chicken moist and delicious. You will notice however, that it all had the same exact flavor. Had the meats not had different textures, you would've felt like you were eating the same thing. The sides were yummy, try the mac and cheese, and corn pudding, beans and greens. The desserts here are all delicious, with the banana pudding, and cowboy brownie being standouts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- solid bbq in downtown brooklynratbaVIPDined on 6/15/2014We have been to, and loved, the Hill Country location in Manhattan many times, so were excited to see that they had opened up a branch in Brooklyn, our home borough. The location in downtown Brooklyn is clearly going to serve them well in terms of getting traffic from nearby courthouses, businesses, tourists, etc. but i have to say it felt a bit less atmospheric-and slightly more "bbq theme park"--than the one in Chelsea. That said, the food was the same--solid, tasty bbq with lots of yummy sides and "something for everyone" menu. We went on Father's day, so the crowd was obviously very focused on families, but I imagine that the bar would be a fun place to hang out after work for those whose jobs are in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- The BBQ is ALWAYS great here.MSDackoDined on 6/3/2014The BBQ is always cooked perfectly at all the Hill Country restaurants including this new one in Brooklyn. Considering the service here is not like a typical restaurant I would expect the waiters/waitresses to be on top of the little they have to do (napkins, drinks, misc requests consider the guests get their own food) but this wasn't the case. I had to get my own drinks at the bar and pay for them right then. Also - the music was WAY too loud to hold a conversation. The Hill Country in Manhattan has the band downstairs but in Brooklyn its right in the open restaurant. I think they need to turn the volume down just a bit.Special Features:
- Declining over timeFeodorDined on 5/26/2014First visit was pretty good. Second visit, the ribs had taken a serious downturn. And ribs are what we're looking for. Brisket was dry but no where in NY do you find moist brisket.
- Love Hill Country!MershaVIPDined on 5/22/2014HC was all I was expecting according to the reviews. My cousins and I had a great time, from the manager to the bus-boy, everyone treated us great. If you crave a BBQ HC is the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 16 reviews are from the Hill Country - Brooklyn reviews archive.
- Great BBQ is BKMrCEVIPDined on 5/2/2014They did a nice job with the restaurant. Equally as good as the original NYC location. Awesome Texas BBQ, doesn't get any better than this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor mealOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/7/2014This was not ok. The service was good but the food was really bad!
- Delicious!BNORVVIPDined on 3/25/2014The brisket sandwich, sweet mashed potatoes and cornbread pudding are fabulous!Special Features:
- Great foodProddivaVIPDined on 3/15/2014Once you figure out the system, it's a breeze and everything was fantastic. The team behind the line are really helpful and patient with the novice questions and offered samples and suggestions for all our palates. The only things that the wait staff serve are drinks so how much to tip is the only issue. Turns out the whole house shares the tips. Our table service was just ok, but the rest of the staff were fantastic.Special Features:
- Real BBQ in NYOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/15/2014The moist Brisket, the moist brisket, all I can say is the moist brisket. Absolutely fall apartment tender, delicious light smokey flavor. I also had the BBQ chicken, I'd goo back for that alone over and over. I also had the short rib and spare rib, the the short rib was very tender and also slightly smokey, I prefer the brisket. The short rib comes on the full bone and I don't necessarily like the texture when cut that way. The spare ribs are smokey and the seasoning coating them is very black peppery. For sides I tried the sweet mashed potatoes, it was like a dessert it was so sweet, I also tried the mac and cheese which was not too cheesy, the corn bread which is more on the savory side and I prefer more on the sweet side.Special Features:
- Smokin' meat!PTsmokedmeatsDined on 3/12/2014Hands-down HC is the best smoked brisket in the NYC area. I've been a supporter of the 26th St Manhattan location since month 1. And keep going back with friends and family and out-of-town visitors. Now with a downtown Brooklyn locale, it's even better for Brooklynites and folks like me who venture to BK when possible. Now I have to go-to barbecue spots in the city for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch- you can skip dinnerSJR1VIPDined on 3/11/2014Glad to see this open near work. I've been to the other location in Manhattan. Be aware this is not a cheap fast food type of place. I've gone twice for lunch and get the off menu $15 special-1/4 chicken and 1 rib with corn bread (you can also get brisket). I also get the potato mash and cucumber salad sides (about $5 each). My friend said the Mac & Cheese (the biggest macaronis I've ever seen) and Collard greens were great. All are delicious. The only downside is the service. They are friendly and quick to bus the tables but if you order another drink it takes forever to get it. Twice I've had to go to the bar area to pick up my drink after seeing it sitting there forever. The other location has similar service lapses, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Texas in BrooklynrutgDined on 2/22/2014Good food if simple, sometimes they are our of the basics ( turkey) great for a meat lover but the choices for a vegetarian would be limited to side dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyed it very much, butOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/17/2014enjoyed it very much, but too cold & we weren't even by the door!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimerChrisDined on 2/15/2014Me and my girlfriend decided to check out this spot and let me tell you. The ribs..FANTASTIC! the chicken..although it was good, it wasn't as tasty as the ribs. we got cornbread, deviled eggs, and mac-n-cheese as our sides and everything except for the deviled eggs were delicious. I'm a deviled egg critic and not to say it was bad or nasty, it just wasn't seasoned to my liking. Overall this place has great food, wonderful service, great atmosphere and it feels like a big family reunion inside. .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey and SpicySkipDined on 2/6/2014Ribs could have been cooked more and sides were very expensive. Suggest splitting one side for two people. Order small portions of meat, as you can always come back for more. Remember it's by the pound and it adds up quickly!Special Features:
- BBQOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/1/2014Great BBQ place. I especially recommend their chicken. The place seems to be always crowded so I recommend it for groups rather than romantic dinnerSpecial Features:
- Unfortunately, the brisket,OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/29/2014Unfortunately, the brisket, pork and sausages were all very dry (over cooked?) - the kitchen was out of several items, as was the bar. The sides were good and the place seems to have great potential - just not happening on the night our party of 6 attended.
- Don't bother visiting thisOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 1/24/2014Don't bother visiting this location. The food is bland and too pricey. The lvie music is great but not worth the visit when food and cocktails aren't good.
- Excellent food, service spottyShampionDined on 1/24/2014Food was excellent. Brisket as good as I've ever had. I could also have a meal of sides and desserts. Everything delicious and plentiful. Service behind the counters (meat, sides, dessert) was also fantastic. Table service was weak. Slow and inattentive. Not even that crowded at the time. The place just opened though, so should probably give it a few more chances.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real BBQ arrives downtown BrooklynJesseDined on 1/23/2014Wonderful BBQ and a casual, affordable place in downtown. The only downside was service which hovered over us and asked us no fewer than 9 times during 1 hour if they could clear our table or if we needed anything. They weren't trying to get rid of us, the place had many empty seats. The team of servers shared duties and they readily didn't realize another team member had just asked if we were okay. And so the parade of servers progressed. That being said, I'd happily return for the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.