Hill Country Barbecue Market
410 7th Street NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
Hill Country Barbecue Market
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hillcountrywdc.com/
- Phone: 2025562050
- Hours of Operation:
Our kitchen is open 11:30am - 11:00pm daily. We serve a late night menu from 11pm - 1am Wednesday through Saturday. Our bar is open until 1am Sunday - Wednesday and 2am Thursday - Saturday.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Barbecue
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout
- Entertainment: Hill Country offers free live music in our Boot Bar Tuesday through Saturday. Join us for our LIVE BAND karaoke every Wednesday starting at 8:30pm and feel like a rock star!
- Special Events: We would be proud to host your special event. Please contact our Catering and Events Manager, Sylva Lin.
A word from Hill Country Barbecue Market
Hill Country is proud to have opened in DC! Named "Best Barbecue in NY" by both New York Magazine and Time Out New York, "Top 10 Barbecue in the U.S." by the Wall Street Journal and "Best New Restaurants of the Year" by New York Magazine, Hill Country takes its "cue" from legendary Texas barbecue joint Kreuz Market and its distinctive dry-rub style. Hill Country's brisket, sausage, ribs and other meats are smoked low and slow over Texas post oak. The barbecue is served in butcher paper, counter-style by the pound, with traditional trimmings.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Hill Country Barbecue Market reviews from OpenTable diners
113 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (81)great for lunch (39)kid-friendly (37)hot spot (31)fit for foodies (30)neighborhood gem (29)vibrant bar scene (26)special occasion (17)late-night find (8)great for brunch (3)scenic view (2)romantic (1)Show More
- Hits and misseskgindcVIPDined on 8/30/2014How could a place that specializes in brisket run out of moist brisket by 8:00 p.m. on a Saturday night? That's unacceptable. The good news was that it pushed me to try the chicken wings, which were terrific!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Decent food, but very expensive for what you get... there must be other options for decent Bar B Q that are not so pricy.
- Best you are going to findCmfCDined on 8/23/2014Considering I was in downtown D.C., this is the best barbeque around. They use real smokers and you can tell there was a lot of time put into the meats. Delicious! The sides have the "homemade" touch and the wait staff are out of this world. very attentive and seem genuinely pleased to see you. All in all I would say this is one of the better experiences I have had in the D.C. area.Special Features:
- Lively Vibe, Good FoodMaryDHDined on 8/22/2014Hill Country Barbecue Market is fun. The atmosphere is easy-going yet vibrant, relaxed and casual. We enjoyed the balance between table service and market-style pick up your food on a tray. We shared a Pitmaster tray and found the ribs and the sausage were our favorite. Go for the "brisket moist," as we found the "brisket lean" a little on the dry side. Side dishes come in generous portions. We didn't try dessert, as we were fully satisfied after our fairly late (9:30 pm) dinner. We'd happily go again and recommend this as a fun spot.Special Features:
- Both Locations Rock!!!FSUDiningOutDined on 8/22/2014DC versus NYC? Tied! Both locations are outstanding. Although, I now live in the DC area, the restaurants are both awesome. Great fun food. Ask for the specials too. Go Noles!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StellaWDined on 8/15/2014Great food and exceptional service - Tanner was our server and he has to be commended for his professionalism. The bar was very loud but it was around happy hour on a Friday. Will definitely go there again.Special Features:
- Different for DCDCDinerVIPDined on 8/15/2014Nice unpretentious place to go near Verizon Center. Set-up as a meat buffet of sorts, prices were good and they seem to have good happy hour special (pitcher of margaritas for $20). The sides were better than the actual meat. Although the meat was good, every cut seem to be extremely salty. Also, take your time and get one cut at a time or else you will be full very quickly. Service was great on a Friday early evening, bar area was packed, dining are not as much.Special Features:
- Superb barbecueHarmonCTDined on 8/9/2014I have eaten barbecue all over the country and this is as good an any - wonderful quality meat and well-prepared. Great place
- overpriced and not so goodbniemiecVIPDined on 8/8/2014I had high hopes, but ended up being very disappointed. I hAd a combo platter that had chicken, ribs and brisket. The brisket was awesome. Moist and delicious, although you pay an additional $2 for moist. The chicken was good, bot the ribs were unedible. You would think a place that specializes in meat would make ribs that fall off the bone, ut you'd be wrong. I couldn't even cut it with a knife. I ended up not eating it. If go to Hill Country again, I'll stick to the brisket.
- All--You-Can-EatRefreshingVIPDined on 8/4/2014Every first Mondays are all you can eat for about $27. The food very good and plentiful and service was on point. I liked the bbq chicken over the ribs (brisket very was good, too) and they had a wonderful take on black-eyed peas.Special Features:
- AmazingYOLODined on 8/1/2014I've had some REALLY good BBQ growing up in Texas, but Hill Country BBQ is some of THE BEST I've ever had. Great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatDined on 7/26/2014Great food great prices enjoyed myself will definitely returnSpecial Features:
- great mac and cheeseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014Very down to earth atmosphere. I really enjoyed the chicken, mac and cheese, green beans, and cole slaw. The ribs were very salty, but moist. The place was packed when I arrived and as a result I couldn't always hear the person I was with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatKossiesDined on 7/24/2014What a nice surprise. Great food and loved the 'food market' concept. Definitely a place to go if you're a meat lover.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hill CountryKYinDCVIPDined on 7/19/2014The best BBQ in DC! I am not a fan of the "down country" feel of BBQ restaurants, but the food more than makes up for the lack of sophistication. The brisket is amazing and I have dreams about the sweet potato casserole. Not cheap but reasonable for DC, especially considering the size of the portions.Special Features:
- Friday funRpotatoDined on 7/18/2014We love love love the food, and we always eat too much. Jasmine, our server, was attentive but not intrusive, and friendly with a good sense of humor. Only complaints are the few moments it took the host stand to acknowledge me. The two women continued their conversation before looking up at me to acknowledge my presence. And the noise level. Wow. Hadn't been on a Friday before so maybe it's just louder but it was so hard to hear and I felt hoarse from yelling just so our table of four could hear each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bar b-q fixdclingVIPDined on 7/15/2014Food is good. I especially like the chicken and the beef. A cost can add up quickly. Most of the sides are good (corn collards and mac and cheese are my favorites). I live in the neighborhood and would go more often, but the noise level and serve yourself set up are not my thing for a good restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Texas in the heart of DCfoodieVIPDined on 7/11/2014If you like Texas BBQ, this place will blow you away. The real deal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Legit ExperienceSJP1Dined on 7/10/2014There is nothing at all to complain about. The appetizers were fantastic; the meat was fantastic; the atmosphere was totally genuine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SwitzerlandVIPDined on 7/9/2014Our briskets (both moist and lean) and sausage were outstanding. We loved the greens, mac and cheese, and corn pudding sides. Ryan provided excellent service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/29/2014The BBQ was great -be careful of your eyes being bigger than your stomach!Special Features:
- first timerDCnativeDined on 6/29/2014Staff was great and food was tasty. Ideal for casual dining. Had brisket and ribs. I ordered brisket to take home. My hubby's ribs are better. Want to try sausage and pork loin next timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real Texas BBQ!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/27/2014This was my first first visit to Hill Country, but it won't be my last. The "moist" (some would say "fatty") brisket and the jalapeno sausage were both delicious. I also give two big thumbs up to the (spicy) baked beans and the mac n' cheese. My husband had the collard greens and corn pudding and loved them both. The concept is interesting. You get a "ticket," order your food at the counter, and bring it to the table yourself. The meat (weighed deli-style) is wrapped in brown butcher paper and the sides are placed in cups. If you want sauce (which I didn't), it's on the table and a waiter takes your drink order. I can't wait to go back and get the ribs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic for FamiliesDCHarrisDined on 6/25/2014I took my daughters here before a concert. The second we got off the Metro, my younger one started with "I'm so hungry!" on repeat. This is the perfect place for situations like that b/c once you get your table, you can go right to the market and order and receive your food. I had the turkey, which was just delicious and put that over a salad with the best ranch dressing I've ever eaten (seriously, if you gave me a bowl of it, I would drink it). The kids had ribs (they are enormous) and mac and cheese and corn bread and they loved everything they ate. The finished up by sharing a Cowboy Brownie, and again, they loved it. The service was the perfect amount of being attentive, yet not annoying. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, too loudTeamSlangVIPDined on 6/24/2014The food is pretty tasty, but I don't understand why I have to schlep up and get it myself AND tip a waiter. The biggest problem was the noise which made any conversation impossible.
- Hill Country BBQ DCBabankosiDined on 6/18/2014addicting barbeques at a high price. The restaurant is crowded and noisy for lunch. the bbqs are really good but you pay the price...yet they have you hooked and you just want to come back for more. i can't seem to get their moist bbq chicken breast off my mind...been thinking about it a lot - even during yoga....that's bad bbq chicken indeed. there is just something in their bbqs that make you crave for more....really. best cure is to go back and get some more. resistance is futile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service in Washington D.C.CountryQDined on 6/15/2014The food is great. The service is great. What more could you ask for in Washington D.C. where service is typically terrible?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- if only a waiter would come bypedro45VIPDined on 6/10/2014The Food at Hill Country BBQ is outstanding. The ribs are moist and the meat falls off the bone. The core slaw is more dry than wet - shredded cabbage with mayonnaise and vinegar, not the other way around as it is in some places. The only drawback is the service. Getting a waiter's attention for a refill or even the check is a real challenge. When I last ate there, even when it was no longer crowded, we (and the tables around us) waited a ridiculous amount of time to receive our bills and then at least as long for them to return my credit card. Maybe they should abandon the pseudo waiter service concept and just let people pay up front (or upon leaving). The food is definitely worth it, but bring your patience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!LesGDined on 6/7/2014Awesome food and service. You cannot go wrong with some good 'ol BBQ briskets! Great side dishes, as well, to compliment the meats. Drinks in mason jars and desserts to finish off a great meal, you can't beat that!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodHavesomeDined on 6/6/2014I met up with some friends that I had not seen in a while. It's a little on the loud side so it's not the place to take that special someone for a quiet evening of gazing into each other's eyes. The food was great and the service was excellent. However they were out of the pb&j cupcakes which I was really looking forward to trying. Other than that we had a great time and even enjoyed the live band.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/29/2014Good concept but not executed well. Side dishes need major help.Special Features:
- Quality has declinedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/17/2014I used to be a huge fan of this place, but the brisket was overcooked, the pork ribs were disappointing, and my cocktail was terrible. The host staff was also rude. Fortunately for my heart, I'll pass on this option next time.
- Meat Lovers ParadiseChicago4Dined on 5/17/2014Booked this on reviews from Fodors. Food did not disappoint,meat is out of this world, BBQ sauce gets an F no flavor. They should have a selection of sauces available. If you like to eat off greasy paper, go here, tables are small, food is jammed, do not dress up...if wear nice clothes you could come home with big grease spots all over. Meat LOVERS will definitely return.Special Features:
- Great portions, yummy foodemmyb21Dined on 5/17/2014I liked the lean brisket and turkey. The sides were very generous. I especially enjoyed the deviled eggs.Special Features:
- You must try it!CDW4WDCDined on 5/13/2014I dragged a friend out to try the food and see a show. It was all terrific. The food was simple and good and quickly served as you move through the market line. Looking forward to going back to try more of it! There's table service for your drinks and I found the staff to be attentive and helpful. The DC location is huge with lots of seating. It has a happy, loud atmosphere with good music playing. The western decor puts you in the right mindset for the venue and fare. The Boot Bar downstairs is intimate by contrast and was perfect for drinking Shiner beer from canning jars and seeing the excellent acoustic Jason Ringenberg (you know it!!!) show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and fun!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014Excellent food, excellent service! Very fun experience. Would highly recommend if you're loooking for good Texas-style bbq.Special Features:
- A truly American experienceeatouterVIPDined on 5/11/2014We came to dinner with a visitor from Germany. She was delighted to have a truly American experience. Ribs, slaw, greens, the works!!! We've been to Hill Country several times (we're big Texas B-B-Q fans).Special Features:
- Texas brisketJohnDined on 5/10/2014Similar to authentic Texas barbecue places I've been to. They really play up the Texas theme with the decor and ordering method. But, you can really customize your meal and the brisket was tasty. I only saw one type of barbecue sauce, it would be nice if they had several choices.Special Features:
- Love the FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/8/2014The Food Was amazing and the atmosphere was also outstanding!! We had gone there for their concert series in the downstairs area and were blown away again about the amount of food you receive and the great taste!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good--ButHankDined on 5/7/2014I do not understand all the praise for Hill Country. I had the pork ribs, sausage and brisket. They were good, but I've had better at a lot cheaper price.Special Features: