Hill Country Barbecue Market
410 7th Street NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
Hill Country Barbecue Market
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hillcountrywdc.com/
- Phone: (202) 556-2050
- Hours of Operation:
Our kitchen is open 11:30am - 11:00pm daily. We serve a late night menu from 11pm - 1am Wednesday through Saturday. Our bar is open until 1am Sunday - Wednesday and 2am Thursday - Saturday.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Barbecue
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout
- Entertainment: Hill Country offers free live music in our Boot Bar Tuesday through Saturday. Join us for our LIVE BAND karaoke every Wednesday starting at 8:30pm and feel like a rock star!
- Special Events: We would be proud to host your special event. Please contact our Catering and Events Manager, Sylva Lin.
A word from Hill Country Barbecue Market
Hill Country is proud to have opened in DC! Named "Best Barbecue in NY" by both New York Magazine and Time Out New York, "Top 10 Barbecue in the U.S." by the Wall Street Journal and "Best New Restaurants of the Year" by New York Magazine, Hill Country takes its "cue" from legendary Texas barbecue joint Kreuz Market and its distinctive dry-rub style. Hill Country's brisket, sausage, ribs and other meats are smoked low and slow over Texas post oak. The barbecue is served in butcher paper, counter-style by the pound, with traditional trimmings.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Hill Country Barbecue Market - Best Restaurants in Penn Quarter ›
Hill Country Barbecue Market reviews from OpenTable diners
106 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (70)kid-friendly (30)fit for foodies (29)neighborhood gem (22)great for lunch (21)vibrant bar scene (20)hot spot (19)special occasion (10)late-night find (3)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- InconsistentWlbne87VIPDined on 11/22/2014Some good things to note such as tasty food, friendly staff who wait on you, which is namely getting your drinks and clearing your table. The staff cutting and serving the meat was great too, but a couple of down checks. The stff serving the sides are terrible. Unfriendly, unhelpful, pushy and surly....in this case they had no sweet potato bourbon mash and was indignant that I asked for timing when they would get it back. Maybe Ten minutes I was told. I tried to figure out a way to come back for it, but there were people behind me and it was not logistically possible it appeared, short of interrupting my meal and heading back to the end of the line. The seating hostesses are a bit overwhelmed when it is busy. We had a reservation but they needed to wait to seat us until the table was cleaned off. This was before the Caps game and there were a ton of people waiting to be seated. Problem was half the tables were empty. Sort of annoying to watch and wait especially with a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodMeemers21Dined on 10/29/2014Down home country and absolutely delicious! Great options and everything was wonderful.Special Features:
- Meat meat meat!foodiecutieVIPDined on 10/25/2014I am still full from my meat binge at Hill Country BBQ Market. I used a Travelzoo voucher which got us brisket, chicken, sausage, ribs, two sides, two desserts, and two draft beers. Great service and great food. Brisket was tender. The ribs practically fell off the bone. Chicken had great flavor. Get the green bean casserole and Mac & cheese. They were both delicious. For dessert, try the banana pudding and the cowboy chocolate brownie. Awesomeness. The hostess will explain the ordering process when you check in. Basically, you take your meal ticket and order your meat and sides at the back. The wait staff is responsible for getting you drinks and dessert. Our waitress was great and it didn't bother her that we were using a voucher.Special Features:
- RANGER77Dined on 10/25/2014Truly outstanding Texas barbecue and atmosphere for socializing with family and friends. If you love real barbecue, Hill Country Barbecuce Market is a MUST!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gotta get the moist brisket!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/24/2014This place is very casual, no frills, and can be noisy. You order at your table, the waiter gives you a ticket showing what you ordered, and you go to the back and get the food it yourself. The waiter will bring your drinks to the table. Some people describe the moist brisket as "fatty', but I thought it was great and preferred it to the dry brisket. The spicy sausage, the ribs, and the chicken were very tasty. Although this is a BBQ spot, the sauce is not on the meat. Rather, it's on the table for you to use if you want. I had my meat both with and without sauce and liked it both ways. The baked beans and collard greens also were very good. Next visit, I'll try the mac n' cheese. See ya there!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable experienceDCRestaurantWeekVIPDined on 10/24/2014Great food and ambiance. We used a TravelZoo deal and would go there even without the deal. I recommend going on an empty stomach. There is so much to eat!Special Features:
- Good food, deafening noiseTeamSlangVIPDined on 10/22/2014The food is pretty good but don't expect to have a conversation.
- Good Food & Neat Atmosphere56mightymikeDined on 10/21/2014Texas Smoked BBQ - Unique restaurant and great for parties. They even have an entire floor that you can rent out. THe food is delicious smoked meats with a tasty BBQ sauce. Large portions. You order like at a market, so the meat is priced by the 1/2 lb and you can order as little or as much as you want. You design your plate. Order your meat & portion, Order your side(s), Order your dessert. Expect to pay $25-$35 per person. The sweet tea tasted just like Mama made in Georgia - delicious and very sweet!Special Features:
- Good Food, Needed Better ServiceFranciscoVIPDined on 10/20/2014So I love Hill Country because the meat is good and it's a casual place where you can feel like you're right at home (I did grow up in Texas, but I don't necessarily think this place embodies Texas...). My experience on Monday night wasn't as great as times past... even when the place is crowded, I've found that they run a pretty steady ship... except for last night. I'm not sure what was going on, but the line to get your food (especially sides) was exceptionally slow. We probably waited between 5-10 minutes to get our meat (which on a crowded night is normal, but considering we were halfway up the line, it should have been closer to 5 minutes), and then had to stand and wait another 10 to even place an order for sides...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experenceBramblelovesHCBDined on 10/17/2014First timer great food loved the atmosphere follow a national artist played at your place great meal then head on down to the venue was cool all aroundSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome BBQAlisonDined on 10/17/2014Great BBQ and place to hang out with friends. Recommend ordering the Pitmaster to share for 2, so you get to the taste everything.Special Features:
- Great lunch!BethVIPDined on 10/15/2014I got my favorite meat at Hill Country -- the short rib. It was delicious and so tender. It was so good it did not need any sort of barbeque sauce. And the mac and cheese and collards were great. The pecan pie was great as well.Special Features:
- Never disappoints!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/14/2014Hill Country BBQ has become a regular stop for me when I'm in DC on business. The food is always amazing and authentic! My only complaint is that I want to try everything....eating and spending too much! Totally worth it. The brisket is to die for!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AuthenticBillNDined on 10/11/2014Spent many years in TX and this was TX barbecue. Read their site about how the service works and be sure that's what you want for the evening.Special Features:
- Best BBQ in the Areae22201Dined on 10/9/2014We come here all the time from Arlington and love it - try everything; you won't regret it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love This PlaceChrisMVIPDined on 10/8/2014Great food - I am here all the time. Get the wings and the Shiner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Bar B QOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/28/2014Another great meal at Hill Country Barbecue Market. We had a Travel Zoo Coupon and this was a lot of meat for 2 adults and 1 child. We had to force the dessert down.Special Features:
- GreatWhyDoINeedANicknameDined on 9/27/2014Hill Country Barbecue does not disappoint. Great food, great drink, as always.Special Features:
- Good food and fun atmosphereDinnerwithdaughterDined on 9/27/2014Our waiter was great, and the food was very good. It is loud and having a conversation had to wait until we left the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Abundant foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/26/2014My wife and I had dinner for 2, that stretched into leftovers for 4 more. If you're hungry, this is the place for you!Special Features:
- Best BBQ meats in DC, possibly USALeTigreDined on 9/13/2014Came in with friends from out of town - left with a full stomach and an appreciation for smoked sausage, tender brisket, and good side portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over-priced for what you get.DIPlabDined on 9/13/2014Meats were cold and over-priced. The best part was the sides.Special Features:
- A different experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/9/2014A unique dining experience If you are a meat lover, you will like Hill bbq. Not a tablecloth kind of place. Kind of self serve.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hits and misseskgindcVIPDined on 8/30/2014How could a place that specializes in brisket run out of moist brisket by 8:00 p.m. on a Saturday night? That's unacceptable. The good news was that it pushed me to try the chicken wings, which were terrific!Special Features:
- CrockettDined on 8/30/2014Decent food, but very expensive for what you get... there must be other options for decent Bar B Q that are not so pricy.
- Best you are going to findCmfCDined on 8/23/2014Considering I was in downtown D.C., this is the best barbeque around. They use real smokers and you can tell there was a lot of time put into the meats. Delicious! The sides have the "homemade" touch and the wait staff are out of this world. very attentive and seem genuinely pleased to see you. All in all I would say this is one of the better experiences I have had in the D.C. area.Special Features:
- Lively Vibe, Good FoodMaryDHDined on 8/22/2014Hill Country Barbecue Market is fun. The atmosphere is easy-going yet vibrant, relaxed and casual. We enjoyed the balance between table service and market-style pick up your food on a tray. We shared a Pitmaster tray and found the ribs and the sausage were our favorite. Go for the "brisket moist," as we found the "brisket lean" a little on the dry side. Side dishes come in generous portions. We didn't try dessert, as we were fully satisfied after our fairly late (9:30 pm) dinner. We'd happily go again and recommend this as a fun spot.Special Features:
- Both Locations Rock!!!FSUDiningOutDined on 8/22/2014DC versus NYC? Tied! Both locations are outstanding. Although, I now live in the DC area, the restaurants are both awesome. Great fun food. Ask for the specials too. Go Noles!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but priceyTexanTerpDined on 8/20/2014Overall great food, atmosphere, and love the Shiner beer. Only reason against 5 stars is because the prices are pretty ridiculousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StellaWDined on 8/15/2014Great food and exceptional service - Tanner was our server and he has to be commended for his professionalism. The bar was very loud but it was around happy hour on a Friday. Will definitely go there again.Special Features:
- Different for DCDCDinerVIPDined on 8/15/2014Nice unpretentious place to go near Verizon Center. Set-up as a meat buffet of sorts, prices were good and they seem to have good happy hour special (pitcher of margaritas for $20). The sides were better than the actual meat. Although the meat was good, every cut seem to be extremely salty. Also, take your time and get one cut at a time or else you will be full very quickly. Service was great on a Friday early evening, bar area was packed, dining are not as much.Special Features:
- Superb barbecueHarmonCTDined on 8/9/2014I have eaten barbecue all over the country and this is as good an any - wonderful quality meat and well-prepared. Great place
- overpriced and not so goodbniemiecVIPDined on 8/8/2014I had high hopes, but ended up being very disappointed. I hAd a combo platter that had chicken, ribs and brisket. The brisket was awesome. Moist and delicious, although you pay an additional $2 for moist. The chicken was good, bot the ribs were unedible. You would think a place that specializes in meat would make ribs that fall off the bone, ut you'd be wrong. I couldn't even cut it with a knife. I ended up not eating it. If go to Hill Country again, I'll stick to the brisket.
- All--You-Can-EatRefreshingVIPDined on 8/4/2014Every first Mondays are all you can eat for about $27. The food very good and plentiful and service was on point. I liked the bbq chicken over the ribs (brisket very was good, too) and they had a wonderful take on black-eyed peas.Special Features:
- AmazingYOLODined on 8/1/2014I've had some REALLY good BBQ growing up in Texas, but Hill Country BBQ is some of THE BEST I've ever had. Great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 596 reviews are from the Hill Country Barbecue Market reviews archive.
- greatDined on 7/26/2014Great food great prices enjoyed myself will definitely returnSpecial Features:
- great mac and cheeseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014Very down to earth atmosphere. I really enjoyed the chicken, mac and cheese, green beans, and cole slaw. The ribs were very salty, but moist. The place was packed when I arrived and as a result I couldn't always hear the person I was with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatKossiesDined on 7/24/2014What a nice surprise. Great food and loved the 'food market' concept. Definitely a place to go if you're a meat lover.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hill CountryKYinDCVIPDined on 7/19/2014The best BBQ in DC! I am not a fan of the "down country" feel of BBQ restaurants, but the food more than makes up for the lack of sophistication. The brisket is amazing and I have dreams about the sweet potato casserole. Not cheap but reasonable for DC, especially considering the size of the portions.Special Features:
- Friday funRpotatoDined on 7/18/2014We love love love the food, and we always eat too much. Jasmine, our server, was attentive but not intrusive, and friendly with a good sense of humor. Only complaints are the few moments it took the host stand to acknowledge me. The two women continued their conversation before looking up at me to acknowledge my presence. And the noise level. Wow. Hadn't been on a Friday before so maybe it's just louder but it was so hard to hear and I felt hoarse from yelling just so our table of four could hear each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.