Hill and Bay
581 Second Avenue
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Hill and Bay
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hillandbay.com/
- Phone: 2122455554
- Hours of Operation:
Monday 11:30 AM to 10 PM
Tuesday 11:30 AM to 11 PM
Wednesday 11:30 AM to 11 PM
Thursday 11:30 AM to 11 PM
Friday 11:30 AM to 12 AM
Saturday 11:00 AM to 12 AM
Sunday 11:00 AM to 10 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
A word from Hill and Bay
Hill and Bay, part of the E&E Hospitality Group, is a neighborhood place where friends, family and colleagues gather to eat, drink and socialize. Nestled between Murray Hill and Kips Bay, the menu features a variety of tastes and flavors that truly appeal to the diverse neighborhood. Guests come for a hot cup of coffee or an icy martini; a quick bite or a full-fledged feast. Lunch, brunch and dinner menus have many options for vegetarians, fish lovers and meat eaters. Fair prices, sharable plates and a friendly bar scene make Hill and Bay a popular neighborly dining destination.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Hill and Bay reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (11)good for groups (6)great for brunch (6)great for lunch (4)fit for foodies (3)special occasion (2)great for outdoor dining (2)hot spot (2)romantic (1)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great quality foodBennewyork13VIPDined on 9/7/2014The organic chicken and BBQ pulled pork sliders were delicious. The service was excellent too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FinddindinrevDined on 9/3/2014The restaurant was a great find. We were able to get last minute reservations, but probably didn't need them. The food was great and the drinks were incredible. The ambiance was nice but your voice echoed a little bit so it is not a place for private conversation. The service was a tad bit slow, but it was nice to not be rushed. I would definitely return here.Special Features:
- Tasting addition to neighborhoodParticularDined on 8/4/2014We stopped by for Sunday brunch-delicious. Went back to try the dinner menu on a Monday evening-also delicious. Comfort-healthy American fare. On both occasions, service was efficient and friendly. Atmosphere relaxed. We WILL return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fried food paradise... Not.CocoaVIPDined on 8/2/2014We wanted to love this place as it is sooo close to the movie theater. We didn't. There are a limited amount of food options and a whole lot of fried food. I had the fried chicken, which was all dark meat and extremely fatty. I couldn't eat it! We also had the beer battered cod with fries, but the whole basket was soaking with grease. The fries were undercooked and the fish wasn't crispy. The fish taco appetizer was very good. Overall service was great, although our server couldn't tell us which sauce was what (there were six that came with our meal). Overall, the menu really didn't provide enough variety and we ordered wrong.
- BCBXBCBXDined on 8/2/2014Went to Hill and Bay for the first time Saturday for brunch after reading several reviews and was very pleased. Food, cocktails, and service were all excellent. My companion and I ordered the Hangover Helper and Bloody Murray, both of which I can recommend highly. We will definitely retirn.Special Features:
- onedimpleDined on 7/6/2014Really like the place but the noise level is disturbing. Hard to talk to other people at table.Special Features:
- Ehh123456Dined on 6/19/2014Very slow, overpriced for the quality. I really want to like H&B but always leave disappointed.
- Def over pricedtourguideforadayDined on 6/1/2014I spent $50 on 1 drink, a burger with fries and we shared a dessert. the food was good, but how did i spend $50 bucks! I would say skip it and find a more reasonable priced place.Special Features:
- The following 39 reviews are from the Hill and Bay reviews archive.
- Laid back and deliciousjeddkarenVIPDined on 5/18/2014Our little family had a most pleasant Sunday dinner. We were impressed with the beer list and the non-alcoholic cocktails. The salads were flavorful and clean, try the mac & cheese appetizer for sure. Also, the muscles and fish tacos are well-worth your time. Our friendly waitress was attentive and we all liked the painting in the back room. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good and slowTInaDined on 5/17/2014We had a lovely time and the food was delicious and a good value. The service was lacking. Inattentive and not warm and welcomingSpecial Features:
- Still getting their act together?DiscerningNYCDinersVIPDined on 5/11/2014Or simply settling into mediocrity? Not quite sure, as it was our first visit, although it will almost certainly be our last. We had such high hopes after reading several positive OpenTable reviews and checking out the restaurant's website to note the pedigree of some of those involved, but we witnessed table after table (including ours) treated with careless indifference last night. The kitchen turning out these completely uninspired dishes appears to be on the exact same wavelength. Fellow foodies, there is NO compelling reason to seek this restaurant out -- and even if you're simply looking for a quick bite before or after seeing a movie across the street at the Kips Bay theater, there are better options nearby.
- StuygirlDined on 5/4/2014Loved it. The staff was great and brunch was outstanding. Looking forward to going back again.Special Features:
- A Great Neighborhood Find!wineanddinegirlVIPDined on 5/2/2014We stopped in at Hill and Bay for a quick supper before taking in a film at the cinema across the street. It was perfect! Unpretentious, inviting, great service, awesome food - try the mussels! We would definitely stop by again! We recommend it whole-heartedly!Special Features:
- Great Brunch SpotRachelVIPDined on 4/19/2014The food is delicious and it is the perfect spot for brunch. I first went here on New Years Day for brunch and loved it. We sat at the bar because of the wait, but I have been back since and have never had to wait. They used to have a great grilled veggie eggs benedict, but unfortunately they took it off the menu. They have a great featured omelete with mushrooms and goat cheese, which I would recommend. They also have homemade biscuits which are delicious (and I am not a carb person). In addition they had matza brie this past weekend for Passover. Overall, great neighborhood brunch spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice buzzy PlaceHappyDinerDined on 4/8/2014We had walked by a couple of times and decided it looked nice. We weren't disappointed. The front room and the back look and feel totally different, the front being more casual and buzzy, the back room feels more restaurant. Food was excellent, both the fish and the burger were very generous servings. Service was very friendly. Both front and back rooms were spotless.Special Features:
- New on the blockNYCNainVIPDined on 4/6/2014Great new restaurant in the Kips Bay neighborhood! Great menu, and superlative Bloody Mary (a/k/a Bloody Murray). ONLY complaint is that the food is served barely luke-warm. Would have been perfect otherwise!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tried it for the first timeekfcheungVIPDined on 4/4/2014I live in the neighborhood and saw Hill and Bay open up a few months ago. I've been meaning to try it ever since. The menu is a nice modern take of southern comfort food. It was all very tasty. I was there a bit early for a typical Friday night dinner, so it was not too packed yet, and the ambiance and noise level was quite good. I had the short rib and it was cooked to perfection. The meat was very tender and just melted in my mouth. I did not try any of the desert menu, but look to try something upon my next visit.Special Features:
- Enjoyable Local Spot!MaryDined on 3/23/2014What a great addition to the Murray Hill & Kips Bay neighborhood! We met friends here and found the entire experience very pleasant. The servers were friendly and helpful and the food was all very tasty. Our server recommended the shrimp & grits appetizer and it was awesome. The chicken strips, meatballs, mac & cheese and fish & chips were all really good too. As locals we really need a good, predictable, casual spot to call our own and this just might be it! We will definitely return!Special Features:
- MehClintDined on 3/21/2014Service was good, but food wasn't anything special and the restaurant was so loud I couldn't hear my wife sitting across from me. Will not go back.Special Features:
- Cute Decor, Good FoodDebbVIPDined on 3/15/2014Went here for late brunch and did not have a problem getting a table. The restaurant is really cute and larger than I had expected. Nice and roomy. My eggs benny was good, but not amazing. We also had the steak fries and it was good as well. The fries were addicting and we couldn't stop until we finished it all. The price was right and the waiters were nice. We'll probably come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Run for the hillsAroundjennDined on 3/10/2014Great neighborhood gem. Simple decor, clean, wholesome cuisine. Lunch can easily be 20/person excluding drinks. Great diverse menu for vegetarians and non. Service felt a bit rushed , but overall. Great. Would definitely go back .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great New Place in Kips Bay!KidteacherVIPDined on 3/8/2014We really enjoyed our dinner at Hill and Bay. It is nicely decorated, with a full bar and pretty ambiance. My arctic char dinner was terrific, perfectly prepared and presented. Moderately priced for excellent food and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative, delicious menuOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/22/2014Everything we ate was delicious. The salad with the truffle oil vinegrette had amazing flavor. Every bite of the burger was better than the next. The short ribs melted in your mouth. After all that, there was still room for dessert! Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Hidden GemChrisVIPDined on 2/13/2014Love that this place is in the neighborhood now! Veggie burger is delicious :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid Murray Hill AmericanUsuallyHungryVIPDined on 2/12/2014Pub inspired better than average food. Full of parents taking out their 20 somethings (like us)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was greatKAEDODined on 2/1/2014I was in town with a group of 6, and we were looking for last minute reservations in this part of time. Staff was welcoming, reserved a table and we were set within minutes. The menu was exactly the right size with limited but excellent options and everyone's meal came out perfect. Best of all, the bill did not break the bank and everyone was quite satisfied. I'd go there again if given the option. -kk-Special Features:
- Great neighborhood spotMarianoelle1210VIPDined on 1/26/2014This restaurant is down the block from me and it's truly a great neighborhood spot. The menu is great and reasonably priced. The food is great and service is impressive as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Horrible Servicethomahawk69Dined on 1/10/2014Had a reservation through OpenTable, but they didn't have any seats when we arrived. Waited for 30 minutes, and decided to sit at a high top near the bar instead of waiting longer for actual seats. The hostess seemed clueless, the kitchen is definitely understaffed. Overall the food is great, but not worth the poor service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice addition to the neighborhoodKaybeeVIPDined on 12/31/2013We had an amazing New Year's Eve dinner. The short ribs and Arctic char were delicious. Would highly recommend (in fact already mentioned to a few people today!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Can't Get it RightfrogVIPDined on 12/30/2013Our first experience soon after opening was disappointing, but we decided to give it another chance several months later. It didn't get much better,which is shocking when both owners have such an extensive Food and Beverage background. The wait for beverage & food is terrible, service is sub par and food just isn't anything special. Even though the locals are bored with all the Kips Bay restaurants, there is no reason to dine at this high priced establishment that just can't get it right.
- New arrival in Kips BayKevinAtHomeDined on 12/30/2013Had lunch at the Hill and Bay and found it very enjoyable, with good, fresh food and a pleasant bistro atmosphere looking out on busy 2nd Ave. The staff were pleasant and the service efficient. Good value for the money and a welcome addition to the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Good service. TerribleNanaVIPDined on 12/13/2013Good food. Good service. Terrible noise level and inconsiderate and rude Party-goers who ignored repeated requests to tone down.Special Features:
- Great BrunchecolieredelagastronomieVIPDined on 12/8/2013Three of us went to brunch before a movie> Two of us had a tremendous spinach, goat cheese, mushroom omelet--it was excellent, the third the veggie burger. It was quiet when we got there near opening time (11 a.m.) and by noon it was hopping. Lovely service. A terrific place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Thanksgiving dinnerRDBDDined on 11/28/2013Very few people on Thanksgiving so can't tell if it's a hotspot, vibrant, etc. Attentive staff, great service. Really loved the cornbread stuffing, but as advertised, holiday prefixe dinner was "traditional," meaning nothing special, actually a bit bland. Would have liked something just a tinch on the foodie side. Roasted fish was better, though again nothing special.Special Features:
- Great local findMolly77Dined on 11/24/2013My new favorite brunch spot! The staff is excellent, warm & accommodating, and the venue is comfortable with a lot of natural light. I'd recommend their eggs Benedict and they make a fantastic hot chocolate. They also have a fun cocktail menu. Excellent food, fun people watching, a new neighborhood favorite.Special Features:
- Great New PlaceNYAKVIPDined on 11/23/2013Hill & Bay is a touch of class in a neighborhood that needs it. It has a West Village / Brooklyn Heights vibe to it. It's a bit brighter than Cask Bar on 33rd & 3rd, but has a similar crowd and H&B won't make you go deaf. To drink, try the Murray's Mule (great ginger beer, vodka, lime), and to eat, try the burger & fries (amazing bacon on the burger). The place is relatively new and I've been there five times already. It's yet to disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place, ok food, bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/23/2013Came here for brunch. Waited nearly 20 minutes for water, drinks took another 20, food came out surprisingly fast but was somehow cold. I'd like to attribute this to it being newly opened, but I doubt I'll be going back to find out.
- Really loud, but enjoyed the foodNickindahillDined on 10/19/2013They need to do something to cushion the sound (literally cement, metal, brick) because its impossible to hear your dining companion in the front bar area. Opt for the back area and order seared salmon app and filet mignon as entree. For dessert get the crumble.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for dinner!HeleneVIPDined on 10/12/2013Since my husband and I go to the movies at Kips Bay often, we were very happy that there was finally a new restaurant across the street. This restaurant was beyond disappointing! The food here is awful, with small portions, and to make matters worse, very expensive! Never again!
- Much needed restaurant arrivesKJonV67VIPDined on 10/9/2013Finally a new upscale restaurant has com to Murray hill Great food and lives atmosphere. Beautiful renovation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.