Eagle Rock Reservation
West Orange, NJ 07052Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.highlawn.com/
- Phone: 9737313463
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, American, French
- Executive Chef: Mitchell Altholz
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Highlawn can accommodate private dining parties of 2 to 200 people for lunch or dinner. Whether you dine in the rustic wine cellar or exquisite, second floor banquet room, Chef Mitchell Altholz will prepare a remarkable dining experience.
- Private Party Contact: Chris Gellings 9737313463
- Entertainment: Live Piano entertainment on Fridays and Saturdays 7:00pm - 10:30pm.
A word from Highlawn Pavilion
Highlawn Pavilion is a turn-of-the-century Florentine-style pavilion that has been beautifully restored to European grandeur with breathtaking views of Manhattan. Serving American Fare with European Flair. New York Times rated “Excellent”, Start Ledger “4-Stars”. Dress code, elegant casual - jackets preferred but not required. Al fresco dinning available on our cliff-side patio with views of the NYC skyline. We can not accept web-reservations in the bar or piano room area, if you wish to make a request for this room please call us, thank you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Highlawn Pavilion - Best Restaurants in West Orange ›
Highlawn Pavilion reviews from OpenTable diners
143 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (123)special occasion (109)romantic (102)notable wine list (50)fit for foodies (43)great for outdoor dining (38)good for groups (22)great for lunch (19)neighborhood gem (19)late-night find (15)vibrant bar scene (13)great for brunch (9)hot spot (9)kid-friendly (5)Show More
- Amazing placeJeanVIPDined on 9/17/2014The view, service and food are outstanding. Have dined many times at both lunch and dinner always the best! Additionally I have experience with many special events at Highlawn. Always outstandingSpecial Features:
- Makes a great impressionMrbillohnoDined on 9/14/2014Elegant and classy fine dinning for that special person in your lifeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with a ViewAria155Dined on 9/13/2014I love the atmosphere here and the view can't be beat. Food is good but a little overpriced and portions could be a bit larger. My husband was disappointed with only three scallops on entree of Homemade Spaghettini with Scallops, Jumbo Lump Crab Meat for $33.00. Mango Panna Cotta for dessert was amazing. Overall we had a lovely evening.Special Features:
- celebrating 49th anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/11/2014Very little to no acknowledgement of our anniv starting from maître, waiter & no little cake ,ice cream, etc to leaving the restaurant even though we had stated in reservation ,told gal who called to remind us,etc. Also wanted to use $100.00 Amex gift card as part of dinner payment, waiter said he could only use $80.00 of card & gave us receipt showing $20.00 available. Service & food good with sizeable portion, No open table points even though reservation made through open table.Special Features:
- Great experienceVoramDined on 9/6/2014Had a great time and service was AMAZING. Felt like VIP.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!michaelVIPDined on 9/6/2014The food is superbly prepared with locally farmed products. The menu is is diverse and well balanced with fish, meat, pork, and pasta dishes. There is a wide range of wine and liquor choices, along with a somewhat limited beer choices. Well worth our visit as our palates came alive with the well balanced and tasty ingredients in our meals. The Highlawn isn't any more expensive than going to fine restaurant in NYC. We enjoyed our entire evening and will continue to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner !!!BWEIRDined on 9/5/2014This restaurant met every criteria needed to enjoy the best of everything in ambience, food and service. Each food selection was worth more than the price on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing date nightJerseyguy71Dined on 9/4/2014Couldn't have asked for a better way to celebrate a birthday. The bar was great. The dinner and specials were out of this world and you are in great hands with everyone who works there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special dining hereLarryDVIPDined on 9/3/2014You will feel special dining here. The service was exceptional and everything we ate/drank was delicious. We had the octopus to start and then shared the lamb ravioli and cod as our main.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Classic Highlawn PavilionAtticusFinchDined on 8/31/2014The classic architecture, elegant design, world-class service, a spectacular view, and superb gastronomy make the Highlawn Pavilion a truly superior experience for all who visit. The dining room window frames the entire skyline of Manhattan; the menu takes care of the rest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad Experiencest8kluvrDined on 8/30/2014I have to tell you this was my 3rd time at your restaurant and I was very displeased. I ordered the steak and although I was coming there to get the Colby steak I always get you didn't have it. I ordered the sirloin steak and found it to be nothing special. But the part that really upset me was when they brought me my car, they held the door for me and not my lady friend like I would have expected. My date came all the way from Florida to have dinner with me at your restaurant and when they brought her food the plate was so hot it hurt her hand. I would have expected more then food under a hot lamp in a place like yours. My date has the pasta with seafood combo and the pasta was good but the seafood smelled bad and didn't taste good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A 50th birthday to rememberDianeDreyVIPDined on 8/29/2014Took my sister and five friends out to celebrate her half century... and absolutely perfect choice. The room is magnificent and the skyline view magical. The food was very good - and better than I was expecting since the restaurant does a lot of big catering and had a wedding going on that evening. I enjoyed a tasty seafood pasta dish, and everyone liked the creative desserts. Our waiter was exceptionally nice, attentive, kept the wine flowing, and handled a few special requests. We never felt rushed, although we were the last ones in the dining room.Special Features:
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014As a professional, i would say the food its was amazing, however the all waitress gave the impression was not happy with a little attitude. Sometimes we need to not just be professional but ask friendly why was a special occasion, since i mention 5 times, and no one asked me what i needed to make our night special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014was just a beautiful experience all around. The staff was awesome, and the food was delicious. The view from the outdoor patio was both romantic and gorgeous. There are also amazing views from indoors, but sitting outside was a great experience. I will most definitely be back in the near future. A+ place!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KEENJVIPDined on 8/27/2014A beautiful place to celebrate my birthday. High on a cliff with a distant view of NYC. The food was very good, and the whole experience was pleasurable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best place for a special occasionNorthJerseyDinerDined on 8/23/2014Excellent food, truly fantastic view and excellent service. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Great food, great viewejbockDined on 8/22/2014This is our 5th time back to the restaurant in the past couple of years. This time we went to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary. The service and food were great and the view is always top notch. The only suggestion I would have for the restaurant to is have more dessert options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food!!JeanPaulVIPDined on 8/20/2014Amazing food & Great service . We will be back and back again!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsBahHummbugVIPDined on 8/16/2014Enjoyed dinning in three areas, bar for pre-dinner cocktails and appetizer, dinner in the main room, and a lovely dessert in the terrace. Exceptional service in all three areas. Executive chef even walked out the appetizers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better Than Years Ago.Seidelsprayco1VIPDined on 8/16/2014Haven't been there for years. We forgot what a fantastic view they have. Started at the bar and the bar tender was slow on service but poured a great drink. The service at the table was great. Food overall was better than average but there is much better food in North Jersey. Prices were as to be expected. Dessert was a low point. Ordered the Carmel pecan apple cake. Really disappointing. Sara Lee is better and a lot less expensive. Everyone's comments were the same. Food was above average, would go back, wouldn't rush to go back. Great place to bring a date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2014Thoroughly pleased with the Highlawn Pavilion. Service is impeccable, food is outstanding. Cannot ask for anything better!!! Looking forward to our next trip back to the Highlawn Pavilion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyablebdaybashDined on 8/15/2014Went the Highlawn for a birthday celebration. I've been there many times before and this proved consistent with past visits. The view from outside was spectacular, the drinks were great and the food is decent. I've never had a knock your socks off kind of meal, but it they have always been good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but not perfectrighteyeDined on 8/11/2014We have very high standards at the Highlawn Pavilion, based on all of our past experiences dining here. The food is always superior as is the ambiance. We came on a Monday evening and perhaps the staff was lighter than usual so it seemed that our waiter was being overextended? We had to ask for our drinks twice and waited quite awhile for our bill. The waiter was wonderfully attentive when he was at our table, so I really do not fault him. We also had the misfortune of dining on the same evening that a family with 4 little ones was there and though I am a preschool teacher and love little children, it did make the room noisier than I am used to, at such a fine establishment.Special Features:
- Always pleasesHungryCommuterDined on 8/9/2014Another lovely meal at the Highlawn. The Osso Bucco was tender and flavorful, and the Scottish Salmon was cooked to perfection and looked picture-perfect with crispy skin on top. The lightly roasted beets, celery root, and other root vegetables were surprisingly light, but absolutely delicious. It was a beautiful night to take in the scenic view of the surrounding reservation with the New York skyline as the backdrop from our window seats.Special Features:
- Great place to dinedine4twoDined on 8/8/2014It has been a while since I've dined at the Pavilion. I thought I would take my wife out for a romantic dinner and I was not disappointed that the service was just as good as ever. The food was delicious and prepared to perfection. The only complaint that I have is that it was not enough (smile) . Great service and I would recommend the Pavilion to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionLoveyDined on 8/8/2014Magnificent view along with superb food and impeccable service. I treated a special guest visiting from the mid-west to dinner this past weekend. The experience for both of us was outstanding - from the weather to the last bite of food and sip of wine. Highlawn continually surpasses all expectations!Special Features:
- ExcellenceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/7/2014Pretty and delicious xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSpecial Features:
- YarimDined on 8/6/2014Anniversary dinner was amazing!! The food was great and the service was incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely quiet dining roomCATDVIPDined on 8/4/2014We were a table of 7. Enjoyed a small family reunion lunch. The place was pretty empty so it was intimate. The burgers looked amazing...2 people had those. The other entrees were small but tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday evening dinner experiencecheetahDined on 8/3/2014I was impressed with my experience there. I had eaten there some years ago and I thought it was so-so. I decided to try again as some relatives were visiting from out of town and I thought eating there we could take in the view and visit the lovely Sept 11 memorial. After a nice drink on the patio outside the bar with a very personable waiter Thomas, we sat down to a delicious meal with prompt service. The menu was just right in the sense that it wasn't overwhelming but at the same time was enough variety. The wine list was equally good with a nice range of winesSpecial Features:
- Great, as alwaysseclawVIPDined on 8/2/2014Another great dinner at Highlawn, which never misses for a special occasion. The seafood combo for appetizer was terrific, and the dry aged steak was perfect.Special Features:
- GiGiDined on 8/1/2014Want to keep Mom happy on her birthday? Bring her here.Special Features:
- A+QueeniePeavyDined on 7/31/2014We could not have asked for a better evening of excellent food and service. Would definitely use the word 'excellent' over very good. No complaints here; would recommend Highlawn to everyone.Special Features:
- Dining with a coworkerLoloDined on 7/29/2014As I am in the area for business, this restaurant was highly recommended. I came with a coworker and we needed separate checks. When we were seated, we explained our request. Our server gave us a hard time and made us feel like we were creating extra work for him. After our wonderful meal was served, he did not come back and ask us if we needed anything else. No dessert menu was offered. We waited 25 mins. for our checks and finally asked for the manager. He was very nice, took our checks and offered us a free dessert (which we declined.) I am very upset with our server and felt he neglected us for other diners! I won't return here. The food, the ambiance, the view was superb! Our server hasn't found his calling!!Special Features:
- Spur of the momentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014Took my girlfriend here not expecting it to be as upscale as it was, only read reviews and such about Highlawn Pavilion on google. This is probably the nicest, most unique and satisfying experience i've ever had the pleasure of going on in terms of scenery, food, service, etc. I have never really done reviews before of restaurants or dining experiences but this establishment was so fine and the service was so good that I am actually taking time to write this review for you and will be giving positive feedback to others and online. Thank you for a wonderful experience, you will most certainly be seeing me in the future. Thank you guys for taking pride in your establishment and having people who work there really care and enjoy it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulJoeBDined on 7/25/2014Wonderful. Excellent Food. Service Attention ambienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great views!RoyLScamDined on 7/25/2014As always, Highlawn Pavilion does not disappoint! Great food and serviceSpecial Features:
- as ever...ArtSVIPDined on 7/24/2014The best in this area. If you are dining in the Clifton-Patterson-Orange area of NJ, this is the place to go.Special Features:
- SBB77Dined on 7/23/2014This restaurant has great, unrivalled views of the NYC skyline. It is perfect for a special occasion. The wine list is extensive and suitable for any wine lover! The steak and seafood is excellent but I recommend avoiding the pasta which is sub-par and not as good as the steak or seafood dishes offered.Special Features:
- Fantastic experienceLouise1319Dined on 7/22/2014The scenic view, the spot, food and service were perfect; it was for us an wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.