Eagle Rock Reservation
West Orange, NJ 07052Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.highlawn.com/
- Phone: 9737313463
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, American, French
- Executive Chef: Mitchell Altholz
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Highlawn can accommodate private dining parties of 2 to 200 people for lunch or dinner. Whether you dine in the rustic wine cellar or exquisite, second floor banquet room, Chef Mitchell Altholz will prepare a remarkable dining experience.
- Private Party Contact: Chris Gellings 9737313463
- Entertainment: Live Piano entertainment on Fridays and Saturdays 7:00pm - 10:30pm.
A word from Highlawn Pavilion
Highlawn Pavilion is a turn-of-the-century Florentine-style pavilion that has been beautifully restored to European grandeur with breathtaking views of Manhattan. Serving American Fare with European Flair. New York Times rated “Excellent”, Start Ledger “4-Stars”. Dress code, elegant casual - jackets preferred but not required. Al fresco dinning available on our cliff-side patio with views of the NYC skyline. We can not accept web-reservations in the bar or piano room area, if you wish to make a request for this room please call us, thank you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Highlawn Pavilion - Best Restaurants in West Orange ›
Highlawn Pavilion reviews from OpenTable diners
149 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (127)special occasion (114)romantic (103)notable wine list (50)fit for foodies (49)great for outdoor dining (43)good for groups (25)neighborhood gem (22)great for lunch (18)vibrant bar scene (17)hot spot (12)late-night find (11)great for brunch (8)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- Never disappointsworknearbyDined on 10/18/2014In addition to the fabulous food, the staff was very exuberant tonight.Special Features:
- Fantastic Food and ViewMikeyDined on 10/17/2014The view of the NYC skyline was nothing short of spectacular. The staff is attentive while not overbearing, while the food and wine selections are wonderful. Dinner was fantastic, and worth the trip from central New Jersey. Now if they could only do something about that Friday afternoon traffic...Special Features:
- DayseezrOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/14/2014Highland consistently provides a great experience. From old-school attentive but discreet service, to fine and interesting dining in a beautiful and subdued atmosphere with a spectacular view if the NTC skyline.Special Features:
- Not only are the views spectacularJackAGordonVIPDined on 10/13/2014My wife and I are lucky enough to live just a couple of miles from this Knowles' family property at Eagle Rock Reservation. The views are incomparable and the venue is undeniably one for "special occasions," but it is also a great place to have a truly solid meal in a beautiful restaurant. The seafood (crab, lobster, shrimp, etc.) is always fabulous, and our duck ravioli was perfectly prepared. The venison was clean and lovely, and paired well with the reasonably priced wines (we had a 2000 Parent Pommard Rugiens and a 2002 Faugeres St. Emilion). The service was attentive, professional and unobtrusive. Every day is special, so even if it's just an (extra)ordinary day, stop in and enjoy!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/13/2014First time I had been there for lunch. have been there often for dinner. Food was excellent as usual; service impeccable, as usual. Is a real pleasure to go there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great MealBWEIRDined on 10/10/2014Amazing food, great service, We had the best time ever!!! We will be back very soon.Special Features:
- Anniverary DinnerbuckeyefanDined on 10/8/2014Highlawn Pavilion is a great location for an early dinner and for a special occasion. Get a window table if you can and enjoy the view of all of Manhattan and see the light come on as it gets dark. The service, food is excellent with a great bar for either a before or after dinner drink. Somewhat out of the way but I have always enjoyed the ambiance and great food. I have had several events here as well and each time they have been spectacular with great service and good food.Special Features:
- We really need to comw here often.OctoberDined on 10/4/2014The view of New Yourk City as the sun sets is just breathtaking. The food is wonderful and the service is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImpressiveBWEIRDined on 10/3/2014The flavors, aromas, presentation were a sensual pleasure! We shared, discussed, marveled over each dish. Made for a terrific evening and lasting memories.Special Features:
- Almost PerfectJagrVIPDined on 10/2/2014While the food and the ambience were both wonderful, the service was somewhat off-putting. The table next to us was seated around 10 minutes after us, but the specials and drink orders were taken before ours. Possible explanation: They were a man and woman couple and we were two women? Hard to believe in this day and age from a place with so much class and elegance.Special Features:
- Extremely tastyJeanPaulVIPDined on 10/2/2014Outstanding service, artfully served food, extremely tasty. Would definitely take a group back next time in town.Special Features:
- AverageMoniDined on 10/1/2014I confess that I was kind of disappointed. We were very excited to go there and the place looks so beautiful, the pictures were great and reviews were ok. But it's another regular restaurant with no surprises, late service and a big check (which is really not worth it, in my opinion). I just think that if you want to spend a good amount of money in food and wine, this is not your smartest choice.Special Features:
- Exquisite, from start to finishGRDinerDined on 9/30/2014Everything about the experience was first rate, from the setting to the service to the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over ratedSk406VIPDined on 9/30/2014So if you want the view and you want to say you ate at highlawn pavilion. That's fine But if you want the food and service you are paying for then forget it. Over the past two years Food has become tasteless and mediocre at best, yes it looks appealing , but presentation is deceiving. From a boring salad, to boring fish to a cheese plate that is easily forgotten to service not worthy of 10 percent gratuity ( when you are paying fine dining prices) Go elsewhere , I wish I could get my money backSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/30/2014Fish salmon very overcooked could not eat it all because so doneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014We had a nice time. The food was good and the service was good. The view is incredible and the skies and weather cooperated. It was a special occasion for the night my birthday! The only downside to the evening was the noise level. I found it to be very loud which made it difficult to carry on a conversation with my party of 6. We sat at around table which was fine. I would consider returning for a lunch or a brunch perhaps it would not be so loud. Otherwise the facility and grounds are gorgeous!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LindaVIPDined on 9/27/2014A gem in New Jersey..lovey location, view, food, wine, service...a perfect experience.Special Features:
- This place grows on you!like2BspoiledDined on 9/27/2014The Chef has not disappointed me or any of my friends or guests. Not only is the presentation an artistic delight, but the wonderful blend of mouth watering flavors keeps me coming back. The service is superior. I feel well attended to without being too frequently interrupted. That kind of service is also an art. Whether I am seated in one of the dining areas or enjoying something from the menus at the bar, my dining experience has been nothing short of an A+! The bartenders are top notch - quite knowledgeable and pleasantly friendly. I have attended several special parties on the premises and have noted how smoothly the service flows. I can just relax with a cocktail at the bar or have a meal. A perfect place! I'm spoiled!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great Meal!!LarryDVIPDined on 9/24/2014Another Great Meal!! Food was fabulous! Great atmosphere! Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Never disappointsKT9876Dined on 9/20/2014Dinner was absolutely amazing! The sirloin was cooked to perfection and the Cod melted in your mouth.Special Features:
- One of our favorites.mss22VIPDined on 9/20/2014Always a pleasant environment with very good food. Exceptional service rendered by our favorite server, Tom Connely. Well be back again, again & again.Special Features:
- YumFancyfoodieDined on 9/20/2014The food was incredible, the view was great, the service excellent. Would love to eat here once a week if it were possible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- When you want to be treated well...NolliDined on 9/20/2014Highlawn Pavilion is a restaurant that everyone should experience at least once. A diner is treated well there. Your every dining need is waited on and supplied promptly. The food is delicious, but the portions are small for the price. The ambiance is excellent as is the scenic view from your window. For a special occasion, I would highly recommend Highlawn Pavilion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasureSelmaAnneVIPDined on 9/19/2014I took a friend and our daughters on a Friday night for a special, shared birthday, dinner. The view is beautiful and my friends, being from California, loved it. The food is always perfect, but that night my steak was overcooked. I told the server who took care of it quickly and courteously and also brought me a cocktail on the house while I waited--a nice touch. When our desserts came they had a chocolate with "happy birthday" written on it and a birthday candle. Another very nice touch. I had just been at Highlawn Pavillion with other friends the weekend prior and was very happy to go back. I look forward to another wonderful meal there soon.Special Features:
- Amazing placeJeanVIPDined on 9/17/2014The view, service and food are outstanding. Have dined many times at both lunch and dinner always the best! Additionally I have experience with many special events at Highlawn. Always outstandingSpecial Features:
- exceptional experience!JagrVIPDined on 9/15/2014This restaurant is a don't miss dining experience! The prices are somewhat high, but you get more than you pay for! From the warm welcome to the outstanding service, we were absolutely charmed by, not only the magnificent views of NYC, but also the ambiance of the restaurant. The food was absolutely fantastic and the service was paced beautifully. I highly recommend Highlawn!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Makes a great impressionMrbillohnoDined on 9/14/2014Elegant and classy fine dinning for that special person in your lifeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with a ViewAria155Dined on 9/13/2014I love the atmosphere here and the view can't be beat. Food is good but a little overpriced and portions could be a bit larger. My husband was disappointed with only three scallops on entree of Homemade Spaghettini with Scallops, Jumbo Lump Crab Meat for $33.00. Mango Panna Cotta for dessert was amazing. Overall we had a lovely evening.Special Features:
- celebrating 49th anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/11/2014Very little to no acknowledgement of our anniv starting from maître, waiter & no little cake ,ice cream, etc to leaving the restaurant even though we had stated in reservation ,told gal who called to remind us,etc. Also wanted to use $100.00 Amex gift card as part of dinner payment, waiter said he could only use $80.00 of card & gave us receipt showing $20.00 available. Service & food good with sizeable portion, No open table points even though reservation made through open table.Special Features:
- Great experienceVoramDined on 9/6/2014Had a great time and service was AMAZING. Felt like VIP.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!michaelVIPDined on 9/6/2014The food is superbly prepared with locally farmed products. The menu is is diverse and well balanced with fish, meat, pork, and pasta dishes. There is a wide range of wine and liquor choices, along with a somewhat limited beer choices. Well worth our visit as our palates came alive with the well balanced and tasty ingredients in our meals. The Highlawn isn't any more expensive than going to fine restaurant in NYC. We enjoyed our entire evening and will continue to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner !!!BWEIRDined on 9/5/2014This restaurant met every criteria needed to enjoy the best of everything in ambience, food and service. Each food selection was worth more than the price on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing date nightJerseyguy71Dined on 9/4/2014Couldn't have asked for a better way to celebrate a birthday. The bar was great. The dinner and specials were out of this world and you are in great hands with everyone who works there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special dining hereLarryDVIPDined on 9/3/2014You will feel special dining here. The service was exceptional and everything we ate/drank was delicious. We had the octopus to start and then shared the lamb ravioli and cod as our main.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Classic Highlawn PavilionAtticusFinchDined on 8/31/2014The classic architecture, elegant design, world-class service, a spectacular view, and superb gastronomy make the Highlawn Pavilion a truly superior experience for all who visit. The dining room window frames the entire skyline of Manhattan; the menu takes care of the rest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad Experiencest8kluvrDined on 8/30/2014I have to tell you this was my 3rd time at your restaurant and I was very displeased. I ordered the steak and although I was coming there to get the Colby steak I always get you didn't have it. I ordered the sirloin steak and found it to be nothing special. But the part that really upset me was when they brought me my car, they held the door for me and not my lady friend like I would have expected. My date came all the way from Florida to have dinner with me at your restaurant and when they brought her food the plate was so hot it hurt her hand. I would have expected more then food under a hot lamp in a place like yours. My date has the pasta with seafood combo and the pasta was good but the seafood smelled bad and didn't taste good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A 50th birthday to rememberDianeDreyVIPDined on 8/29/2014Took my sister and five friends out to celebrate her half century... and absolutely perfect choice. The room is magnificent and the skyline view magical. The food was very good - and better than I was expecting since the restaurant does a lot of big catering and had a wedding going on that evening. I enjoyed a tasty seafood pasta dish, and everyone liked the creative desserts. Our waiter was exceptionally nice, attentive, kept the wine flowing, and handled a few special requests. We never felt rushed, although we were the last ones in the dining room.Special Features:
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014As a professional, i would say the food its was amazing, however the all waitress gave the impression was not happy with a little attitude. Sometimes we need to not just be professional but ask friendly why was a special occasion, since i mention 5 times, and no one asked me what i needed to make our night special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014was just a beautiful experience all around. The staff was awesome, and the food was delicious. The view from the outdoor patio was both romantic and gorgeous. There are also amazing views from indoors, but sitting outside was a great experience. I will most definitely be back in the near future. A+ place!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KEENJVIPDined on 8/27/2014A beautiful place to celebrate my birthday. High on a cliff with a distant view of NYC. The food was very good, and the whole experience was pleasurable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.