Eagle Rock Reservation
West Orange, NJ 07052Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.highlawn.com/
- Phone: (973) 731-3463
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, American, French
- Executive Chef: Mitchell Altholz
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Highlawn can accommodate private dining parties of 2 to 200 people for lunch or dinner. Whether you dine in the rustic wine cellar or exquisite, second floor banquet room, Chef Mitchell Altholz will prepare a remarkable dining experience.
- Private Party Contact: Chris Gellings 9737313463
- Entertainment: Live Piano entertainment on Fridays and Saturdays 7:00pm - 10:30pm.
A word from Highlawn Pavilion
Highlawn Pavilion is a turn-of-the-century Florentine-style pavilion that has been beautifully restored to European grandeur with breathtaking views of Manhattan. Serving American Fare with European Flair. New York Times rated “Excellent”, Start Ledger “4-Stars”. Dress code, elegant casual - jackets preferred but not required. Al fresco dinning available on our cliff-side patio with views of the NYC skyline. We can not accept web-reservations in the bar or piano room area, if you wish to make a request for this room please call us, thank you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Highlawn Pavilion - Best Restaurants in West Orange ›
Highlawn Pavilion reviews from OpenTable diners
148 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (123)special occasion (117)romantic (99)fit for foodies (54)notable wine list (52)great for outdoor dining (33)good for groups (30)neighborhood gem (24)vibrant bar scene (21)great for lunch (21)hot spot (15)late-night find (8)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- JDubDined on 11/20/2014Very good restaurant. The food was excellent. The restaurant ambiance was exquisite. The skyline view of New York City was spectacular. I would recormmend this restaurant for any special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the service was excellent. Food is very good.RaindropDined on 11/18/2014Our server was very good. Did not rush our lunch at all. The greeting at the door was very warm and inviting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/7/2014Great place to take a date fantastic views great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quintessential Fine DiningLarryDVIPDined on 11/6/2014Continues to provide excellent food and service. Remains on my short list of restaurants to go to for special occasions.Special Features:
- Will be back again & again.BWEIRDined on 11/5/2014Everything here is just right: the service correct but friendly but never stiff or stuffy. The food polished and delicious, clean flavors and just the right touch of inventiveness. Loved the Foie Gras with their own honey. Will be back again & againSpecial Features:
- Pricey...NinalovesfoodVIPDined on 11/2/2014...and unfortunately a bit mediocre for the money. The seafood appetizer, priced at $22., consisted of 2 oysters, 2 shrimp, a small lobster tail and crabmeat out of a tin like you'd get at the supermarket. It was watery and bland. The filet mignon, requested cooked pink, was somehow burned on the outside--tasty, but had a taste like brisket. Mundane sides, same on all plates: mashed potatoes, a carrot, some string beans. Dessert was unexceptional. The wine was very good. At $100 bucks a person, they should at least send over some cookies. The bread basket was also unexceptional. This is a very lovely place but I doubt I'll be returning anytime soon.Special Features:
- ReviewAnnieDined on 11/1/2014The service was great and the food was delicious. The place overall is nice with a beautiful view. The price was more than reasonable for the quality of the food & dining experience. I loved it & would definitely return.Special Features:
- Best View in the Metropolitan AreafoodieDined on 11/1/2014Marvelous view of the Manhattan skyline. A bit noisey on a Saturday night. Wonderful for lunch or a weekday dinner.Special Features:
- Great view, food is mixedquinoaDined on 11/1/2014Going to the Highlawn always feels like a special occasion. The view is unbeatable, the ambiance is very nice, and the service is good. Our starters were excellent (appetizers and salad) but we found the entrees a bit too heavy - it reminded us of German cuisine with thick heavy sauces, gamey meats, etc. I had the vegetarian plate, which was probably the best, but was overpriced for what it was. Unless I need to dazzle someone for a special occasion, I'll go back just for drinks and the view, but then go back to "town" (Montclair) for the meal.Special Features:
- CJSWDined on 10/31/2014My second visit did not disappoint. My lady and I celebrated her birthday and everything was spot on! The food was excellenty prepared and at the right temperature, the service was efficient without being overbearing and the jazz trio was outstanding!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great DinnerBWEIRDined on 10/30/2014Every aspect was prefect. Menu is very good, food spectacular, service as good. Back Next WeekSpecial Features:
- CONSISTENT QUALITY OF GREAT DININGTHEDONVIPDined on 10/29/2014A GREAT PLACE FOR SPECIAL EVENT . WE ENJOY VIEW, ATMSPHERE AND FOOD.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as great as the ambiencerocketshipVIPDined on 10/25/2014Not what i remembered. Food not. Seasoned correctly. A bit bland but a nice placeSpecial Features:
- Fantastic and memorable evening!KboochDined on 10/24/2014Food was incredible and ambience perfect for celebrating our 20th anniversary!! A memorable evening that was worth waiting 20 years for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impeccable serviceAThnkngWmnDined on 10/21/2014For my boyfriend's birthday, chose the reliable HP for the ambiance, food and views, but it was the service that was the true standout. Good, old-fashioned, attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a special nightVeganVictoriaDined on 10/20/2014The view of manhattan and the Orange mountains is amazing. Very good service.Special Features:
- For that special occasionRemarkableDined on 10/18/2014The food, ambiance and service are top notch!!! You never have to call a waiter over for anything they are on top of thier game.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsworknearbyDined on 10/18/2014In addition to the fabulous food, the staff was very exuberant tonight.Special Features:
- Fantastic Food and ViewMikeyDined on 10/17/2014The view of the NYC skyline was nothing short of spectacular. The staff is attentive while not overbearing, while the food and wine selections are wonderful. Dinner was fantastic, and worth the trip from central New Jersey. Now if they could only do something about that Friday afternoon traffic...Special Features:
- DayseezrDayseezrDined on 10/14/2014Highland consistently provides a great experience. From old-school attentive but discreet service, to fine and interesting dining in a beautiful and subdued atmosphere with a spectacular view if the NTC skyline.Special Features:
- Not only are the views spectacularJackAGordonVIPDined on 10/13/2014My wife and I are lucky enough to live just a couple of miles from this Knowles' family property at Eagle Rock Reservation. The views are incomparable and the venue is undeniably one for "special occasions," but it is also a great place to have a truly solid meal in a beautiful restaurant. The seafood (crab, lobster, shrimp, etc.) is always fabulous, and our duck ravioli was perfectly prepared. The venison was clean and lovely, and paired well with the reasonably priced wines (we had a 2000 Parent Pommard Rugiens and a 2002 Faugeres St. Emilion). The service was attentive, professional and unobtrusive. Every day is special, so even if it's just an (extra)ordinary day, stop in and enjoy!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/13/2014First time I had been there for lunch. have been there often for dinner. Food was excellent as usual; service impeccable, as usual. Is a real pleasure to go there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memory MakerBeanieVIPDined on 10/11/2014On the special occasion of having four out of town visitors, we had an unforgettably wonderful dining experience. Our visitors are still talking about how delicious their food was and how much they enjoyed the entire evening with NYC panoramic views and the perfect round table for conversation. I had the braised beef which was a definite favorite. The quality and freshness of the food was obvious which our organic food-loving family members greatly appreciated. We can hardly wait to return.Special Features:
- Another Great MealBWEIRDined on 10/10/2014Amazing food, great service, We had the best time ever!!! We will be back very soon.Special Features:
- Anniverary DinnerbuckeyefanDined on 10/8/2014Highlawn Pavilion is a great location for an early dinner and for a special occasion. Get a window table if you can and enjoy the view of all of Manhattan and see the light come on as it gets dark. The service, food is excellent with a great bar for either a before or after dinner drink. Somewhat out of the way but I have always enjoyed the ambiance and great food. I have had several events here as well and each time they have been spectacular with great service and good food.Special Features:
- We really need to comw here often.OctoberDined on 10/4/2014The view of New Yourk City as the sun sets is just breathtaking. The food is wonderful and the service is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImpressiveBWEIRDined on 10/3/2014The flavors, aromas, presentation were a sensual pleasure! We shared, discussed, marveled over each dish. Made for a terrific evening and lasting memories.Special Features:
- Almost PerfectJagrVIPDined on 10/2/2014While the food and the ambience were both wonderful, the service was somewhat off-putting. The table next to us was seated around 10 minutes after us, but the specials and drink orders were taken before ours. Possible explanation: They were a man and woman couple and we were two women? Hard to believe in this day and age from a place with so much class and elegance.Special Features:
- Extremely tastyJeanPaulVIPDined on 10/2/2014Outstanding service, artfully served food, extremely tasty. Would definitely take a group back next time in town.Special Features:
- AverageMoniDined on 10/1/2014I confess that I was kind of disappointed. We were very excited to go there and the place looks so beautiful, the pictures were great and reviews were ok. But it's another regular restaurant with no surprises, late service and a big check (which is really not worth it, in my opinion). I just think that if you want to spend a good amount of money in food and wine, this is not your smartest choice.Special Features:
- Exquisite, from start to finishGRDinerDined on 9/30/2014Everything about the experience was first rate, from the setting to the service to the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over ratedSk406VIPDined on 9/30/2014So if you want the view and you want to say you ate at highlawn pavilion. That's fine But if you want the food and service you are paying for then forget it. Over the past two years Food has become tasteless and mediocre at best, yes it looks appealing , but presentation is deceiving. From a boring salad, to boring fish to a cheese plate that is easily forgotten to service not worthy of 10 percent gratuity ( when you are paying fine dining prices) Go elsewhere , I wish I could get my money backSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/30/2014Fish salmon very overcooked could not eat it all because so doneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014We had a nice time. The food was good and the service was good. The view is incredible and the skies and weather cooperated. It was a special occasion for the night my birthday! The only downside to the evening was the noise level. I found it to be very loud which made it difficult to carry on a conversation with my party of 6. We sat at around table which was fine. I would consider returning for a lunch or a brunch perhaps it would not be so loud. Otherwise the facility and grounds are gorgeous!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LindaVIPDined on 9/27/2014A gem in New Jersey..lovey location, view, food, wine, service...a perfect experience.Special Features:
- This place grows on you!like2BspoiledDined on 9/27/2014The Chef has not disappointed me or any of my friends or guests. Not only is the presentation an artistic delight, but the wonderful blend of mouth watering flavors keeps me coming back. The service is superior. I feel well attended to without being too frequently interrupted. That kind of service is also an art. Whether I am seated in one of the dining areas or enjoying something from the menus at the bar, my dining experience has been nothing short of an A+! The bartenders are top notch - quite knowledgeable and pleasantly friendly. I have attended several special parties on the premises and have noted how smoothly the service flows. I can just relax with a cocktail at the bar or have a meal. A perfect place! I'm spoiled!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great Meal!!LarryDVIPDined on 9/24/2014Another Great Meal!! Food was fabulous! Great atmosphere! Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Never disappointsKT9876Dined on 9/20/2014Dinner was absolutely amazing! The sirloin was cooked to perfection and the Cod melted in your mouth.Special Features:
- One of our favorites.mss22VIPDined on 9/20/2014Always a pleasant environment with very good food. Exceptional service rendered by our favorite server, Tom Connely. Well be back again, again & again.Special Features:
- YumFancyfoodieDined on 9/20/2014The food was incredible, the view was great, the service excellent. Would love to eat here once a week if it were possible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.