150 West 10th St.
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.highlands-nyc.com/
- Phone: 2122292670
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 2:00am, Friday: Sunday: 5:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Scottish, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Chris Rendell
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Wine
- Special Events: Come celebrate Valentine's Day at Highlands! We will be serving our regular a la carte menu with no prix fixe!
A word from Highlands
Highlands is a contemporary authentic gastro pub located in the heart of the West Village in downtown New York from the HIGHLANDS Restaurant Group - WHITEHALL and Byron at The Surf Lodge. Our aim is to showcase a taste of modern Scotland today while being true to its old world charm. We have created a true authentic Scottish experience by importing many interior products that capture the true essence of Scotland's unique hospitality. We offer the finest Scottish influenced cocktails, specially made by our talented bartenders with many of our favorite Scotch, Malts, and Gins. We have a fantastic mix of local American and the finest Scottish beers and ales. Our acclaimed menu is melody of artisanal Scottish imports and produce from local farmers markets that gives you a true taste of modern Scotland.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGastro Pub
Highlands - Best Restaurants in Greenwich Village ›
Highlands reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (26)vibrant bar scene (21)fit for foodies (19)hot spot (11)romantic (9)good for groups (5)late-night find (4)special occasion (3)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Great food and Scotch, way too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/21/2014Excellent food and drinks, but surprisingly trendy, loud, and packed on a Thursday night. Would definitely come back, but for a quieter day and time.Special Features:
- Delicious but loudFritzadamsDined on 8/5/2014I took my fiance here on a Tuesday night for a late night birthday dinner. The meal was delicious and the scotch list impressive but the noise from the bar, which was packed for that late on a Tuesday night, carried into the dining room and really took away from the ambiance. Our waiter was absolutely outstanding. Overall, we'd definitely go back, just during off-peak hours (once we can figure out what those are...).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and what a scotch menuyummyDined on 8/4/2014Had never heard of this place but reviews looked promising. Also had no idea what Scottish food would be like. We were very pleasantly surprised and delighted with the food, ambiance, and service. Everything was delicious! The book of scotches was impressive. Definitely will be back.Special Features:
- NoiseFoodieDined on 8/1/2014I would have given it 5 stars but it got so loud, to the point where we couldn't hear anything the other person was saying. Need a bit of sound abatement. Otherwise the menu and scotch flights were outstanding.Special Features:
- Too loud!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/31/2014This place was teaming with a young, loud crowd. The menu was limited although novel. My red wine came ice cold. Good place to come with friends for the bar scene but you will have to shout the whole time.Special Features:
- Reliable & RefreshingKFOXVIPDined on 7/31/2014Oh man, I had a cocktail called the Spectator, it came with a small side of popcorn and it was magical. the popcorn was a cute touch, and actually enhanced the flavors in the drink! We had a 1/2 dozen oysters that were so succulent and briny- and FRESH. Then, we kept a simple main for dinner, a Kale Salad with Grilled Haloumi & topped with a Fried Egg... KALE SALAD has NO business being THAT DELICIOUS. As I type this I find myself wishing I was eating it again. DELICIOUS MOUTH-WATERING INSANITY. They really cram you in there, though, it is very noisy and a bit impossible to have a private conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oh, the ricotta!MarahnewVIPDined on 7/22/2014Started with the whipped ricotta with honey and crispy ham (almost like bacon, ridiculously delicious). Fabulous mussels. Would come here often if I lived in the neighborhood, even if just for drinks and that heavenly appetizer.Special Features:
- Great British gastropubmsbnyVIPDined on 7/19/2014Highlands was a great experience. Inventive cocktails, some classic ones with a twist. Food was fabulous. My codfish was cooked perfectly. My husband LOVED the beef Wellington. Our guests had the pork chop and the bangers & mash. We also tried the whiskey bread and the Scotch egg. Both were very good appetizers. Loved the fact that the whiskey bread came piping hot to the table. And the service was friendly and attentive. We will surely be back.Special Features:
- A West Village dinnerAnnieVIPDined on 7/9/2014Kudos to the chef. When the waiter told me how a chicken dish was prepared, I decided I didn't want it. He spoke to the chef who made it exactly the way I liked it! In fact it was quite different from the one on the menu. Now that's excellent service! It was quiet when we got there but by the time we left we could barely hear each other.Special Features:
- not for intimate conversationnigeltuf11VIPDined on 5/30/2014Extremely loud. Great service. But this is all about the bar.Special Features:
- mimiVIPDined on 5/24/2014Delicious food (pork chops and beef Wellington); good drinksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite restaurant in NYC!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/20/2014I know most people have only been to the bar here, but please please try grabbing a bite. Their food is amazing and the service is awesome. I feel guilty eating here so often, but it never lets me down and I'm always to happy afterward.Special Features:
- Great PlaceZQ517Dined on 5/17/2014Party of 3 on a Saturday, this place was great. We showed up a bit early for our reservations and they accommodated us, no problem. We weren't hurried along and pushed out the door as in some other places so we actually were able to sit and talk and enjoy the place. The food was good and service was tops, they even have "the whisky book" which we took full advantage of. If you like ginger beer beer try Crabbies, all around just a great outingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time having Scottish food!AnonymousVIPDined on 5/2/2014I initially wanted to go out here for drinks because I saw Highlands featured on Thrillist because of their Scotch selection, but decided to bring a date here too. We loved the food (didn't realize some Scottish food was Indian inspired, due to some dishes here having curry and Indian spices) and loved the drinks. We went on a Friday night and things were a little busy, so the waitstaff might've been spread a little thin since they weren't as attentive as we'd liked. After dinner we took in a couple of the Scotches they had, from the Highlands region of course, and enjoyed those too. Next time would like to come here and just take in the drinks and relax.Special Features:
- The following 186 reviews are from the Highlands reviews archive.
- Not just for ScotshSotoVIPDined on 4/23/2014I originally went here for the scotch and was surprised to find the food was also very good. We had a really fragrant kedergee (sp?) liberally dressed with indian spices, a terrific warm kale and vegetable salad with an egg and (excuse me...) haggis, which I hear was wonderful. Also, get ready to order one whiskey bread for each of you. Even if you start with just one, you'll order the rest, so just get on with it. As for the scotch choices, they were amazing. We sampled six between us. I was disappointed that they didn't have the Balviene 21 port wood finish (on the menu but apparently others were ahead of me) and had to fall back to the Glenfiddich 21. Poor me... Great service and ambiance. I'm going back!Special Features:
- Great neighborhood spot withJDMarshallDined on 4/11/2014Great neighborhood spot with smart and knowledgeable bar-tenders. Small selection of draught beers, but all very good, and an obviously fantastic list of whisky. The ambience was great, though it was a bit noisy. Food was excellent and quick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I like Scottish food and thisRocketmanDined on 4/5/2014I like Scottish food and this place was worth trying. I'll be back. Good service and overall quality. The place is a bit too small for all the tables they try to wedge in. Crowded, but not too bad, its a popular place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A winner all aroundSmacky919Dined on 3/30/2014Great drinks amazing food cozy yet vibrant atmosphere, a definite go to!Special Features:
- Aye!ScotingDined on 3/29/2014Great place. I had the bangers and mash which was interpreted non-traditionally but was extremely good. (My taste tends more towards the sweet than savoury.) While it is rightly known for its book of informed whisky selections, its cocktail list is also solid. I recommend The Flying Scotsman if you want a cocktail that is not whisky-based, with mescal instead, a clever way to evoke the smokiness of Scotch perhaps, New World style. The whisky bread is a nice table share for 2 or 3 people. It's a bit small for 4. The back room's volume level was tolerable especially by NYC standards. The decor is warm and inviting. The servers were helpful and knowledgeable. The wait time on the food was spot on: not too long nor worryingly fast.Special Features:
- Everything we ordered wasOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/28/2014Everything we ordered was delicious. And the service was great as well. Definitely a great spot on a cold winter night. Scotch choices are so appealing!!!Special Features:
- Hootman HebridesBellarminoDined on 3/26/2014Great beers, a setting that truly could be a pub in Scotland or Ireland. Had a Scotch Egg for the first time and then short ribs done to perfection. A bit noisy, but boozy noisy which is acceptable. After Lent, going back for the whiskey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- definitely go again!ShaShaDined on 3/2/2014not too crowded, but kind of "buzzy", bar is very friendly and easy to hang out at. small tables, good ambience, the food was very good and with special dietary needs they easily substituted food and changed things on the dish to acommodate -- the experience overall was EXCELLENT! I would definitely go again and would highly recommend it to my friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scotchy scotch scotch, I <3 scotchthephoenix612Dined on 2/20/201411 page whiskey menu. What more needs said? Oh and the food was top notch as well. The short rib melts in your mouth, and don't miss the whiskey bread appetizer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and whisky selectionAMJA22Dined on 2/15/2014My husband said it was the best pork chop he's ever eaten! It was especially good that it was so superb since there was some kind of mix-up and they had to replace his meal, but they brought him an appetizer to tide him over and didn't charge us for his meal. My bangers and mash were great. The whisky tasting platters were a hit with several in our group. My only regret was not having room for dessert - I'll have to try the molten chocolate cake next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Whisky and FoodSeeLeeVIPDined on 2/12/2014Excellent service! Huge whisky list and the food was fantastic. Would recommend the pork for sure and the starters. Skip the whiskey bread it wasn't my favorite. But everything else was divine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highland hot spotDisappointedVIPDined on 2/8/2014We had a reservation for 6 at 7:45 on a Saturday. On the plus side: our table was ready when we arrived and we were seated immediately even though our party wasn't complete. The food was fantastic -- I had a decadent steak and ale pie and a luscious molten chocolate cake. The cocktails were interesting and yummy. And we sat for hours without being rushed. On the other hand, we sat because the service was so slow. And although I'm glad to see they are doing a booming business, the place was unpleasantly packed and noisy. I had to fight my way to the bathroom and then wait on a very long line. And the menu is limited -- would have loved some more salad options. I would definitely recommend Highlands for a meal, but not on a Saturday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank you HighlandsKimberlyKyleDined on 2/6/2014My boyfriend and I are in a long distance relationship, and he couldn't come out for Valentine's day so we celebrated a week early. We made a reservation thought Open Table, and I made a note in the reservation about how, due to the distance, it was our early V-day date. When they sat us the hostess said, "We read your note," and proceeded to seat us in their most romantic spot. I really appreciated that they made sure we had a special little spot to enjoy our dinner. We enjoyed our food, but mostly we enjoyed that in the middle of busy NYC we had a little time to ourselves -and that the staff cared enough to honor our request when they could have ignored it. Thanks Highlands, you made our date really special!Special Features:
- Cute neighborhood bar/restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/30/2014Good food and great cocktails! Would go back again for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- shoutfest w/ a side of indifferenceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/10/2014Six of us arrived on-time with a reservation. There was a person near the front door pretending to be the host, doing nothing, but managing to not greet us or make eye contact. I finally asked whether he worked there. His deadpan response: "you need a table." He managed to inform us that ours wasn't ready. No "welcome," no "have a drink and we'll get your table ready ASAP." After waiting another five minutes we gave up and dropped $500 at a very hospitable place half a block away. Suggestion to the management: move this guy to the basement to peel potatoes. We won't be back.
- Good food but unorganizedlakesDined on 12/27/2013The food was great but the host was completely unorganized. Out actual waiter was very attentive and the beef Wellington was delicious, as well as the pork pellilii.Special Features:
- Scottish quality meets NY chicKazzaDined on 12/9/2013I have dined here a few times and the food is great the crab and shrimp appetiser is the best and an interesting twist on a great British classic the brussel sprout!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DO NOT ORDER THE SCALLOPS.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/22/2013What a waste of money, they give you three scallops for $16??? Are you kidding me? Order the Whiskey loaf instead, DELICIOUS. Service, ambiance, and food were all wonderful. I had made a reservation and we still had to wait almost half an hour for our table, the host brought us two glasses of champagne half way through the wait. I would come back here again.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere, food and drinkScottVIPDined on 11/20/2013This restaurant solidly performs on all levels. I have visited there twice and have enjoyed both visits. The place is not fancy or pretentious and delivers on a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great West Village SpotPointCloatesVIPDined on 11/15/2013There is a vibrant bar scene here and ambience is really trendy West Village. We were pleasantly surprised with the food - really very good. The Scotch egg is a standout but all dishes we had were well produced.Special Features:
- Great experience at HighlandstoronabeeDined on 11/9/2013Fantastic experience at Highlands. Food was delicious, waiters were courteous and not overbearing. Ambiance was fantastic. The bar area was pretty happening and quite loud, but we sat in the dining area which was much more intimate. I'm still thinking of the butternut squash soup - SO GOOD! Highly recommend Highlands!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed reviewJessicaDined on 10/12/2013Great drinks and a nice Whiskey/Scotch list. The bar area seemed lively and fun though we sat at a table. Our waiter was pleasant, helpful, and accommodating. However the host was not the friendliest. My pork chop was overcooked and very tough which was disappointing. My friends seemed to enjoy their meals though. The whiskey bread and scotch egg were tasty. It wasn't a bad evening but I won't be rushing back. Plenty other places in the village to try.Special Features:
- Consistently GoodLozbVIPDined on 10/10/2013I've been to Highlands several times and it's always a consistent experience and exactly what i'm always in the mood for when going there. Beef Wellington! cozy feel. Nice atmosphere at the bar. Good service. The apps and entrees are always solid. Especially the crab toast and the burrata. Desserts the last few times have definitely been disappointing. The sticky toffee pudding is dry and definitely not sticky. The sauce that comes with it is great but there is not enough. Unfortunately they do taste like they've been popped in the microwave and just come out spongey. Other than this I'll keep going!Special Features:
- Lovely and GoodAnonymousDined on 9/24/2013I am HUGE on ambiance and this place has it in spades. The place is so pretty and always packed beyond comfort so the weeknights I try to come here are generally a bust but on the times i have been here, it's been beautiful and lovely. They have an extensive whiskey list but beware, the plates are small, which I prefer, but feel is something to note just in case you show up hungry- order a few things ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Great Dinner!KeithDined on 9/21/2013Saw Highlands for the first time driving past in a cab, could only see candlelight shining through the floor to ceiling glass windows and wanted to check it out. SO glad we did, had an amazing dinner and great experience. Loved the ambience, very nice, dimly lit but still with some music to make it lively. We had an outstanding waiter who went out of his way to recommend the blue crab toast appetizer and it was incredible. I ordered the pork chop which was one of the best I've had and my girlfriend ordered the bangers and mash which was also very good - neither of us had english sausage before can't provide quality feedback here. Topped it off with salted chocolate tart for dessert = beyond delicious. Loved the cocktails too!Special Features:
- Scotch flightTimtheOld1Dined on 9/20/2013I'm going to have to go back often to try all the scotch flights. Salmon app to die forSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.